Become a Patron!

Hohm Wrecker G2 VS Smoant Charon?

oSt

Member For 2 Years
So my Alien died on me a couple days ago which was very sad since it was working flawlessly for the past 8 months. It initially was giving me a "battery low" message although I knew my batteries still had at least 60-70 puffs left. I then swapped them for a fresh pair of married HG2's, but the screen wouldn't turn on. Next thing I know, as I'm firing, I hear a hissing sound in the mod, get some smoke and a burnt smell. I really loved the alien because of its small size/portability, low battery discharge (=long battery life), and its large screen with all that nice information being displayed and updated in real time. I considered buying another Alien or upgrading to a Smok GX2/4 for all the reasons I mentioned above but I don't feel comfortable buying another Smok product with what happened and the additional poor CS. I used TC in the past with some starter kits but never really got into it. Since I'm buying a new mod, I was rethinking TC mode and would like to jump on that boat. After reading and watching tons of reviews, I noticed that the G2 and Charon popped up the most in terms of great TC accuracy.

Ohm Wrecker G2: I spoke with DJlsb today and I didn't get the feeling that he was too fond of the G2, especially for the Kanthal TC and the overall company. I don't like the mod size, screen or aesthetics of the mod at all, but if it gets the job done accurately, then it's definitely worth considering. Another con for me on this device is that 25mm tanks don't sit flush on it. I would be purchasing it from vaporcube (since they have a great discount going on), which didn't get the best of reviews from plenty of folks around here. Also, I would be primarily using my Exo RTA which is my go-to mod at the moment and there seem to be connectivity issues, particularly with that mod. My question for those who have this mod; for a vaper that's relatively new to TC, would I really notice any difference in performance over the Charon? I know that it definitely out performs the Charon by miles but would a relatively new TC vaper notice this?

Smoant Charon: This seems like a great overall mod with good TC and durability. Yes, it is a little bulky and with a small screen but I guess the size wouldn't be a deal breaker. My concerns with this mod is that the company doesn't seem to be coming through with its promised firmware update which is a slap in the face to all its customers. In addition, the likelihood of getting a loose 510 connector as well as the battery discharge of 3.4 gives it plenty of negative points in my book.

Other mods I've considered:

Smoant Battlestar: Durable, great TC, smaller compared to others and fits 25mm attys just fine. The biggest con for me is that the batteries only discharge down to 3.5-3.6. Fire button rattles which would probably annoy me. Also, the same con as the Charon in terms of firmware and company reliability.

Voopoo Drag: Again, excellent mod, great TC accuracy, lots of people swear by it. I personally don't mind the looks of it, but screwing on any tank that is 24mm and above getting an overhang bums me out. Also, the sharp edges, size and heavy weight don't make it really comfortable to hold or put in your pocket.

Smok GX2/4: I know I mentioned above that I wasn't comfortable with smok anymore, however, I have to note that it's TC is pretty decent based on reviews. Furthermore, it has a small size, the screen I'm looking for, good battery life and 25mm tank compatible in 2 battery mode. It hasn't been out for long so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it so far?

Therion 133/167 // Finder 133/166: Although no one can go wrong with a DNA chipset, it's unfortunately above my budget.

YiHi SX Mini G class: I loved the aesthetics, size, screen as well as its amazing chip but again, way above my budget.

I'm open to any other mod suggestions! I honestly didn't think my post would turn out to be this long but I guess one thing kept on leading to another! If you've reached this far, I salute you and give you my utmost respect! :)

Thank you fellow vapers!!

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
IMG_20170504_021407.jpg
No connectivity issues at all. The original black EXO with painted 510 threads had issues. Supposedly they fixed it. I have 2 ss EXOs and no issues with them.

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So my Alien died on me a couple days ago which was very sad since it was working flawlessly for the past 8 months. It initially was giving me a "battery low" message although I knew my batteries still had at least 60-70 puffs left. I then swapped them for a fresh pair of married HG2's, but the screen wouldn't turn on. Next thing I know, as I'm firing, I hear a hissing sound in the mod, get some smoke and a burnt smell. I really loved the alien because of its small size/portability, low battery discharge (=long battery life), and its large screen with all that nice information being displayed and updated in real time. I considered buying another Alien or upgrading to a Smok GX2/4 for all the reasons I mentioned above but I don't feel comfortable buying another Smok product with what happened and the additional poor CS. I used TC in the past with some starter kits but never really got into it. Since I'm buying a new mod, I was rethinking TC mode and would like to jump on that boat. After reading and watching tons of reviews, I noticed that the G2 and Charon popped up the most in terms of great TC accuracy.

Ohm Wrecker G2: I spoke with DJlsb today and I didn't get the feeling that he was too fond of the G2, especially for the Kanthal TC and the overall company. I don't like the mod size, screen or aesthetics of the mod at all, but if it gets the job done accurately, then it's definitely worth considering. Another con for me on this device is that 25mm tanks don't sit flush on it. I would be purchasing it from vaporcube (since they have a great discount going on), which didn't get the best of reviews from plenty of folks around here. Also, I would be primarily using my Exo RTA which is my go-to mod at the moment and there seem to be connectivity issues, particularly with that mod. My question for those who have this mod; for a vaper that's relatively new to TC, would I really notice any difference in performance over the Charon? I know that it definitely out performs the Charon by miles but would a relatively new TC vaper notice this?

Smoant Charon: This seems like a great overall mod with good TC and durability. Yes, it is a little bulky and with a small screen but I guess the size wouldn't be a deal breaker. My concerns with this mod is that the company doesn't seem to be coming through with its promised firmware update which is a slap in the face to all its customers. In addition, the likelihood of getting a loose 510 connector as well as the battery discharge of 3.4 gives it plenty of negative points in my book.

Other mods I've considered:

Smoant Battlestar: Durable, great TC, smaller compared to others and fits 25mm attys just fine. The biggest con for me is that the batteries only discharge down to 3.5-3.6. Fire button rattles which would probably annoy me. Also, the same con as the Charon in terms of firmware and company reliability.

Voopoo Drag: Again, excellent mod, great TC accuracy, lots of people swear by it. I personally don't mind the looks of it, but screwing on any tank that is 24mm and above getting an overhang bums me out. Also, the sharp edges, size and heavy weight don't make it really comfortable to hold or put in your pocket.

Smok GX2/4: I know I mentioned above that I wasn't comfortable with smok anymore, however, I have to note that it's TC is pretty decent based on reviews. Furthermore, it has a small size, the screen I'm looking for, good battery life and 25mm tank compatible in 2 battery mode. It hasn't been out for long so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it so far?

Therion 133/167 // Finder 133/166: Although no one can go wrong with a DNA chipset, it's unfortunately above my budget.

YiHi SX Mini G class: I loved the aesthetics, size, screen as well as its amazing chip but again, way above my budget.

I'm open to any other mod suggestions! I honestly didn't think my post would turn out to be this long but I guess one thing kept on leading to another! If you've reached this far, I salute you and give you my utmost respect! :)

Thank you fellow vapers!!
I have a black Exo that works fine on my G2s, but if you dont like the size, screen, or aesthetics of the G2 then you probably wont like it much. If the Exo is your go to tank then you can build/buy SS coils and buy a mod that you like that gets good SS TC reviews, plenty of em do now days. Kanthal TC was ok, briefly, and then it was back to SS. I dont like Smok but you got 8 months out of a $40 mod, if you liked it that much then buy another. I remember when I was buying $40-$50 mods and I usually only got 6-8 months out of em.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love my Hohm Wrecker G2's, have one in every color and it is my favorite board, just not my favorite form factor. Tough as nails with the aluminum enclosure but not exactly a walk around friendly mod.

Of the mods you noted I have 2 Battlestars, love em except the limit on when the batteries need to be recharged.

Finder DNA166 I love, my favorite DNA mod I have but hard to find and pricey.

Love my G Class too but then again price.

You might want to consider the Laisimo SnowWolf 200 Plus, use coupon code reddit12 to save 12% from one of the best vendors out there: https://www.eightvape.com/products/laisimo-snow-wolf-200w-plus-tc-mod?variant=35473511366 TC is legit on this mod. The one major con is when it sits unused for 5 to 10 minutes it asks you if it is a new coil again. You get use to it, at least I did, since the default is no I just press the fire button again and vape away.

Tesla Steampunk Nano 120W Mod is also one to consider, even though it is only 120 watts it has never felt underpowered for me, but then again I keep my TFV12 style high power tanks away from it...lol. TC is decent, not the best but not bad and it is sexy as all get out. The major con on it is the battery door can work it's way loose if your not careful. Best price I could find from a US vendor: http://www.vapewild.com/tesla-steampunk-nano-120w-mod/ or here but I don't think shipping is included: https://vaporider.net/shop/new-arrivals/tesla-steampunk-nano-120w-tc-box-mod/

Stay away from Smok, Wismec and most iJoy mods if you want to do TC, there may be some of there models that are passable for TC but most just suck at it. Sigelei is hit or miss for TC, the Snowwolf 365 does TC well but it is hard to find and a 4 battery mod, the Fuchai DUO 3 does crap TC.

I love to TC, when you get it right it is addictive. The Hohmtech chip is my favorite of all the chips but the DNA200/250 chip is pretty bad ass too, I would personally stay away from the DNA75 chip as it isn't very efficient so battery life suffers and there is a volt limit. Yihi also makes some excellent chips for TC, you just have to make sure your joules are not too high to avoid rattlesnaking while in TC mode.

Last edited:

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 87252
No connectivity issues at all. The original black EXO with painted 510 threads had issues. Supposedly they fixed it. I have 2 ss EXOs and no issues with them.

Yep, my black EXO works on all my Hohmtech mods but I don't have any paint on my threads like the ones that had the problems.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
have you considered the hohm slice smaller ofrm factor then the hohm wrecker g2

I love my Slice's but am hesitant to recommend them as it can be hit or miss with the paint. My red and silver slices still look new and get the most use but my blue chips just by looking at it and the black has already started to fade were my thumb goes. That said they all still work like new and can usually be found on sale for $30 to $40, the Slice kicks the Aliens ass all day everyday for performance, it kicks most mods ass.

oSt

Member For 2 Years
View attachment 87252

I have the SS EXO and haven't been getting connectivity issues with any other mods. Though I read in the link below (post #448) and continuing to the next page that the hohmwrecker in general didn't like the EXO too much. This probably seems like an isolated event anyways, as I didn't see too many people complain about this.

http://www.vapingunderground.com/th...nd-slice-first-time-users-guide.292147/page-9

oSt

Member For 2 Years
I have a black Exo that works fine on my G2s, but if you dont like the size, screen, or aesthetics of the G2 then you probably wont like it much. If the Exo is your go to tank then you can build/buy SS coils and buy a mod that you like that gets good SS TC reviews, plenty of em do now days. Kanthal TC was ok, briefly, and then it was back to SS. I dont like Smok but you got 8 months out of a $40 mod, if you liked it that much then buy another. I remember when I was buying $40-$50 mods and I usually only got 6-8 months out of em.

I would have considered buying a smok GX 2/4 if it was in the $40 price range, but looking online the cheapest I found was $60 excluding shipping. Also, I probably won the lottery with my Alien for it to last me 8 months. For other people out there, it only lasted them 2-3 weeks. I can't justify spending $60 with the high likelihood of it dying on me within a couple months and dealing with crappy CS that'll take a decade to replace, if even.

oSt

Member For 2 Years
I love my Hohm Wrecker G2's, have one in every color and it is my favorite board, just not my favorite form factor. Tough as nails with the aluminum enclosure but not exactly a walk around friendly mod.

Of the mods you noted I have 2 Battlestars, love em except the limit on when the batteries need to be recharged.

Finder DNA166 I love, my favorite DNA mod I have but hard to find and pricey.

Love my G Class too but then again price.

You might want to consider the Laisimo SnowWolf 200 Plus, use coupon code reddit12 to save 12% from one of the best vendors out there: https://www.eightvape.com/products/laisimo-snow-wolf-200w-plus-tc-mod?variant=35473511366 TC is legit on this mod. The one major con is when it sits unused for 5 to 10 minutes it asks you if it is a new coil again. You get use to it, at least I did, since the default is no I just press the fire button again and vape away.

Tesla Steampunk Nano 120W Mod is also one to consider, even though it is only 120 watts it has never felt underpowered for me, but then again I keep my TFV12 style high power tanks away from it...lol. TC is decent, not the best but not bad and it is sexy as all get out. The major con on it is the battery door can work it's way loose if your not careful. Best price I could find from a US vendor: http://www.vapewild.com/tesla-steampunk-nano-120w-mod/ or here but I don't think shipping is included: https://vaporider.net/shop/new-arrivals/tesla-steampunk-nano-120w-tc-box-mod/

Stay away from Smok, Wismec and most iJoy mods if you want to do TC, there may be some of there models that are passable for TC but most just suck at it. Sigelei is hit or miss for TC, the Snowwolf 365 does TC well but it is hard to find and a 4 battery mod, the Fuchai DUO 3 does crap TC.

I love to TC, when you get it right it is addictive. The Hohmtech chip is my favorite of all the chips but the DNA200/250 chip is pretty bad ass too, I would personally stay away from the DNA75 chip as it isn't very efficient so battery life suffers and there is a volt limit. Yihi also makes some excellent chips for TC, you just have to make sure your joules are not too high to avoid rattlesnaking while in TC mode.

I've been itching to get into decent TC for a while but never really got my hands on a decent mod. I'm sure once I get it right, I'll probably never switch back to wattage from what all its different advantages look like. What can I say, I've just been a creature of habit. Once I got used to wattage mod and found my sweet spot I just stuck there since it got the job done.

I did consider the Laisimo SnowWolf for it's gorgeous build. I honestly didn't mind the new coil message, I figured I'd just press the power button twice and problem simply solved. As much as I baby my mods, I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying around a mod mostly made out of glass as an all day vape. Also, I'm wasn't a huge fan of fingerprints.

As for the Tesla Nano 120W, I haven't heard much about this mode before but from my shallow research, it seems like a durable and good looking mod. I think the overpowered wattage mode and battery discharge of 3.35 aren't impressive though. I'll probably look more into this one for sure and see if I can get over those cons.

I really appreciate you ruling out all those other different companies! Definitely narrows down my choices! I wish Hohm Wrecker would have just made a more compact mod and 25mm compatible... :(

oSt

Member For 2 Years
have you considered the hohm slice smaller ofrm factor then the hohm wrecker g2

Definitely considered it. I would have pulled the trigger on that one without hesitation despite some it's cons only if it were a dual 18650 since I'm looking for good battery life and a compact build.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just skip decent, and go right to great: G2, DNA, or Yihi.

I followed DJLsb's tip of setting the TCR on the Alien to 0.00120 for SS316L, and it's TC got much better. It can still be pulsey, but at least it doesn't try to bake my throat anymore lol.

oSt

Member For 2 Years
Starting to lean towards the G2 after seeing these sweet carbon fiber samples from Protech Composites that I can stick on it. Can anyone tell me what it's minimum battery discharge is and how the battery life is on it? Also, can someone please upload a few pics of the G2 with the EXO RTA to check out that overhang from the front and sides?

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Using fw ver. 2.4.4, it cuts off at 3.4V. I just tested that on Tuesday.
The chip's efficiency is 98.8%, so battery life is very good.
IMG_20170720_122923.jpg
IMG_20170720_122813.jpg

oSt

Member For 2 Years
Using fw ver. 2.4.4, it cuts off at 3.4V. I just tested that on Tuesday.
The chip's efficiency is 98.8%, so battery life is very good.
View attachment 87365
View attachment 87366

Dude, you are awesome! I guess that tiny overhang wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. After reading your post I initially thought; well hey since the Charon and G2 have the same minimum battery cut off then why not just pick the Charon up since it's more compact? Then I figured that since the G2's way more efficient that would equal better battery life. I've been following Smoant on reddit and from what they've posted as of late, they were beta testing the firmware last weekend and will be releasing it very soon. They did however state that it wouldn't include decreasing the minimum battery discharge on the V1 firmware update and that it would be on the top of their priority list for the V2 FM update. Let's see how they follow through with that.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got my Charon TC 218 today. The fit and finish is just as awesome as the Battlestar, my copper battlestar still looks new and I got it when it was first released and use it everyday.

I am only about halfway through the tank on my battlestar RTA which so far is a flavor beast. I am rocking it in SS TC on the Charon but feels to be running hot. I dropped the temp and it is providing a real nice TC vape so far. Will update when I have had a chance to use it more.

ef40443dcbfe57cb27631ada5621764a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got down to the end of the tank and at 430f it was a little burnt, not much, dropped it down to 420f and vaped the tank dry with no burnt hits at all. Not bad, compared to my Finder DNA167 I would say it is about 10 to maybe 15f too hot but I think that is solid TC performance so far at it's price point. Need to try a few more tanks but am really liking the performance on the Charon in TC so far.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Starting to lean towards the G2 after seeing these sweet carbon fiber samples from Protech Composites that I can stick on it. Can anyone tell me what it's minimum battery discharge is and how the battery life is on it? Also, can someone please upload a few pics of the G2 with the EXO RTA to check out that overhang from the front and sides?

I have firmware ver. 2.5.7 on my G2 and battery cutoff is 3.25 volts.

oSt

Member For 2 Years
Got down to the end of the tank and at 430f it was a little burnt, not much, dropped it down to 420f and vaped the tank dry with no burnt hits at all. Not bad, compared to my Finder DNA167 I would say it is about 10 to maybe 15f too hot but I think that is solid TC performance so far at it's price point. Need to try a few more tanks but am really liking the performance on the Charon in TC so far.

I guess running too hot is better than too cool since you can always lower the temp. DjLsb did rate it as being 10F too hot in SS and Anthony vapes mentioned it felt 30F too hot in SS. How long are the batteries holding up for you? Also, is the overhang with 26 attys too bad?

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Damnit'! I'm really trying to hate this mod and you're not helping :) Joking aside I appreciate your input.

Yeah, the first time I saw it I was like "What the hell?" But after reading the complete G2 thread (108 pages at that time), my attitude toward it changed drastically. After finally getting one in hand, I don't know of anything I'd replace it with.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess running too hot is better than too cool since you can always lower the temp. DjLsb did rate it as being 10F too hot in SS and Anthony vapes mentioned it felt 30F too hot in SS. How long are the batteries holding up for you? Also, is the overhang with 26 attys too bad?
Still on the same batteries I popped in there 12 hours ago but only 1 bar left.

Well that's good to hear my TC findings are right in line with those 2 excellent reviewers.

Here is the Exo rta on it

cc5e8277ba938b73fd4c5dce42f13533.jpg

oSt

Member For 2 Years
Yeah, the first time I saw it I was like "What the hell?" But after reading the complete G2 thread (108 pages at that time), my attitude toward it changed drastically. After finally getting one in hand, I don't know of anything I'd replace it with.

I gotta completely agree with you on that. I saw the mod pop up a few times while doing my research but never thought twice about it. As I continued looking it was like it was following me everywhere I went. I thought to myself that it must really be that great of a mod. And here I am, a few days later, putting it at the top of my list as one of the biggest contenders.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, when I got my first one I almost returned it until I found that thread. After 3 days of asking questions and reading I was hooked. The G2 isn't pretty but you grow to love it by how it performs, now I think it's dead sexy...lol

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I gotta completely agree with you on that. I saw the mod pop up a few times while doing my research but never thought twice about it. As I continued looking it was like it was following me everywhere I went. I thought to myself that it must really be that great of a mod. And here I am, a few days later, putting it at the top of my list as one of the biggest contenders.

As I said above, I don't know of any mod right now that I'd replace my G2 with, but I do plan to buy a Battlestar and the Charon tc before long. I'd also like to have the Ijoy Maxo Zenith VV mod too, but the G2 will always have an honored spot in my house. :)

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, when I got my first one I almost returned it until I found that thread. After 3 days of asking questions and reading I was hooked. The G2 isn't pretty but you grow to love it by how it performs, now I think it's dead sexy...lol

Yeah, it's kinda like the mutt at the pound that you end up bringing home because for some reason you just can't tear yourself away. In the end it turns out to be the best dog you ever had. :)

oSt

Member For 2 Years
Still on the same batteries I popped in there 12 hours ago but only 1 bar left.

Well that's good to hear my TC findings are right in line with those 2 excellent reviewers.

Here is the Exo rta on it

cc5e8277ba938b73fd4c5dce42f13533.jpg

That battery life is ok I guess. I just loved how I could go without needing to replace my batteries for 2 days of chain vaping @ ~ 50 watts on my Alien.
Those are my go to reviewers, no BS, no marketing, and not yes men. Just awesome detailed reviews. From what I see, the Exo does seem to sit without any overhang although the I remember the diameter on top being around 24.5mm. Was your 510 loose at all? Can I ask where you bought it from?

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, it's kinda like the mutt at the pound that you end up bringing home because for some reason you just can't tear yourself away. In the end it turns out to be the best dog you ever had. :)
Hahaha, well said.

For the OP in my limited testing of the Charon and my long term experience with the Battlestar you can't go wrong with the Charon if that's what you choose.

For me personally with the G2 what sets it apart from every other mod on the market is the xXx mode. The preset SS 316 mode works perfectly fine but in the xXx mode you can tweak the vape to exactly what you want. I also love it too since I don't have to remember what coil is in the tank, be it kanthal, nichrome a mix of those 2 or SS I just adjust my FSK % to get the vape I want. I would not be so enamored with the G2 if it didn't have the xXx mode but for me it is the "everything" mode.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
LOL!! Lovin' the analogy! Seems like this poor mutt is calling my name for adoption!

Most everybody that bought the G2 loved them and have been using them in regular rotation for months, but in all honesty, some people had problems with them. Most everybody who had a problem got them fixed pretty quick as far as I know. A few people got battery doors that would rattle, but mine fits so tight it took a minute to figure out how to get it open.

I need to order more batteries for mine. Due to inexperience, I bought Samsung 25Rs the first time and at 40 watts I only get about 5 hours before I have to swap. I'm thinkin 30Qs this time.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hahaha, well said.

For the OP in my limited testing of the Charon and my long term experience with the Battlestar you can't go wrong with the Charon if that's what you choose.

For me personally with the G2 what sets it apart from every other mod on the market is the xXx mode. The preset SS 316 mode works perfectly fine but in the xXx mode you can tweak the vape to exactly what you want. I also love it too since I don't have to remember what coil is in the tank, be it kanthal, nichrome a mix of those 2 or SS I just adjust my FSK % to get the vape I want. I would not be so enamored with the G2 if it didn't have the xXx mode but for me it is the "everything" mode.

I've got to go back through your g2 and slice guide again. I still haven't figured out tc to the point I love it yet. I've been using mine in DW mode and am very happy with it.:)

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That battery life is ok I guess. I just loved how I could go without needing to replace my batteries for 2 days of chain vaping @ ~ 50 watts on my Alien.
Those are my go to reviewers, no BS, no marketing, and not yes men. Just awesome detailed reviews. From what I see, the Exo does seem to sit without any overhang although the I remember the diameter on top being around 24.5mm. Was your 510 loose at all? Can I ask where you bought it from?
I do get a little bit of play before the tank is screwed down on the Charon. I got it and the rta directly from Smoant for review. Anthony is a friend of mine who got me into reviewing, well him and deucesjack great guys and straight shooters.

Now that I think about it I am pretty sure the Exo is smaller at the base, the 26mm is starts more around the AFC. I would measure it but just about to put my head down to catch some zzzzzz's.

Goodnight

oSt

Member For 2 Years
Hahaha, well said.

I'll definitely need to thoroughly go through that G2 first-time user guide for understanding the xXx mode and on what basis I need to adjust my FSK%. Right now it seems like there are 3 variables that you should adjust on any given coil to get the most out it.

oSt

Member For 2 Years
Most everybody that bought the G2 loved them and have been using them in regular rotation for months, but in all honesty, some people had problems with them. Most everybody who had a problem got them fixed pretty quick as far as I know. A few people got battery doors that would rattle, but mine fits so tight it took a minute to figure out how to get it open.

I need to order more batteries for mine. Due to inexperience, I bought Samsung 25Rs the first time and at 40 watts I only get about 5 hours before I have to swap. I'm thinkin 30Qs this time.

It's good to know that Hohmtech supports their customers. I think that is always a crucial factor to base a decision on. I'll be optimistic and hope that I don't get the battery door rattle if I decide to pull the trigger on it. I don't think you could wrong with either a 30Q or a VTC6. I know for sure that Mooch can vouch for either.

oSt

Member For 2 Years
I do get a little bit of play before the tank is screwed down on the Charon. I got it and the rta directly from Smoant for review. Anthony is a friend of mine who got me into reviewing, well him and deucesjack great guys and straight shooters.

Now that I think about it I am pretty sure the Exo is smaller at the base, the 26mm is starts more around the AFC. I would measure it but just about to put my head down to catch some zzzzzz's.

Goodnight

You are right on sir. I double checked the diameter of the Exo at the base and it is 25mm. I did go through some of deucesjack reviews which seemed to be blunt and sincere. I'm gonna have to check out some of your reviews as well! It's always good to have a list of trusted reviewers.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll definitely need to thoroughly go through that G2 first-time user guide for understanding the xXx mode and on what basis I need to adjust my FSK%. Right now it seems like there are 3 variables that you should adjust on any given coil to get the most out it.
The first time users guide is just a recap of the important points taken from HUGE G2 thread. It was a collection from all the knowledgeable people put into the first post to save people a lot of time. @raymo2u has also posted that hohmtech will be releasing a new firmware soon that ups the watts to 181 or something like that and a few more refinements. It is great to see they are still making improvements after all this time.

Once you get the hang of using the xXx Mode it becomes second nature. The digital watts mode is excellent as well, it has a split second preheat that makes it fire like a beast.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are right on sir. I double checked the diameter of the Exo at the base and it is 25mm. I did go through some of deucesjack reviews which seemed to be blunt and sincere. I'm gonna have to check out some of your reviews as well! It's always good to have a list of trusted reviewers.
Yeah, Jack has no problem pointing out if something sucks. I need to post my Captain subohm tank review here, it was only posted on reddit which is were a lot of mfg's want there stuff reviewed, wasn't happy with the .3 ohm coils, went through 3 of them before posting my review

I am just starting out but have always bought the latest stuff and people would ask me about it. Now that I am getting stuff for free it is not going to change how I review. Smoant had been really cool, they told me to be blunt, it won't hurt there feelings. People may not always agree with me but I am not in this to make money or curry favor. I just want to give my honest opinion and they can either choose to send me stuff or not, doesn't matter to me, I will buy it like I always have if I want it.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's good to know that Hohmtech supports their customers. I think that is always a crucial factor to base a decision on. I'll be optimistic and hope that I don't get the battery door rattle if I decide to pull the trigger on it. I don't think you could wrong with either a 30Q or a VTC6. I know for sure that Mooch can vouch for either.
I have 4 x g2's. All 4 doors had rattle. removing the battery ribbon fixed it on 2 or 3 of them. the vendor and mfg both told me to pound sand for getting the door rattle fixed so I went with cutting out the ribbons to try and resolve it. One of the doors had a magnet come loose that I haven't tried to fix yet. All that being said: I have 6 mods in rotation and 3 of them are my g2's and once I epoxy/adhesive that magnet back in place on the 4th it will go into rotation.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have 4 x g2's. All 4 doors had rattle. removing the battery ribbon fixed it on 2 or 3 of them. the vendor and mfg both told me to pound sand for getting the door rattle fixed so I went with cutting out the ribbons to try and resolve it. One of the doors had a magnet come loose that I haven't tried to fix yet. All that being said: I have 6 mods in rotation and 3 of them are my g2's and once I epoxy/adhesive that magnet back in place on the 4th it will go into rotation.

I remember reading in the G2 thread about the extra long ribbon causing a few people problems but couldn't remember who actually. Mine didn't come with an abnormally long ribbon. With both batteries iinstalled, it hangs over the edge maybe an inch. On a rare occasion the door will be a little loose when I change out the batteries so I just take em out and put em back in and it's all good again. That only happens once every two dozen batt changes or so though.

oSt

Member For 2 Years
Yeah, Jack has no problem pointing out if something sucks. I need to post my Captain subohm tank review here, it was only posted on reddit which is were a lot of mfg's want there stuff reviewed, wasn't happy with the .3 ohm coils, went through 3 of them before posting my review

I am just starting out but have always bought the latest stuff and people would ask me about it. Now that I am getting stuff for free it is not going to change how I review. Smoant had been really cool, they told me to be blunt, it won't hurt there feelings. People may not always agree with me but I am not in this to make money or curry favor. I just want to give my honest opinion and they can either choose to send me stuff or not, doesn't matter to me, I will buy it like I always have if I want it.

Respect to you. I will start following your reviews more often. I'm sick of most of those youtube reviewers that basically say everything is awesome or rant about subjective cons or keep saying how cool the box it came in was.

oSt

Member For 2 Years

Being optimistic about getting a rattle free G2 is out of the window realistically at this point. Nonetheless, having 4 G2's speaks volumes about how great of a mod it really is despite this inconvenience.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only one of my G2's has a little battery door rattle but the other 4 are rattle free. They can get a rattle if I have a battery with an extra wrap on it, just that little amount is enough to cause a rattle because the tolerances are close.

I have had a magnet fall out of my red G2 once, just glued it back in. I had dropped it and the door went flying off and luckily I found the magnet that flew out too. My poor red one is the only one that has been dropped and I dropped it 2 times, once on my big toe, left a bruise that lasted awhile.

Never thought I would own 5 G2's, I like variety. For around $60 the performance and build quality is such a steal for me. I have 5 Slices as well, every color except the @SirRichardRear teal....lol. I do prefer the G2 over the Slice though but the Slice can be picked up for $30 on sale making it one hell of a value, just get a wrap for it as the paint generally sucks.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Thank so much for the kind words. Here are 5 pages of reviews you may not have seen yet. Glad you have been enjoying them.

https://www.vapinginsider.com/reviews/

oSt

Member For 2 Years
Only one of my G2's has a little battery door rattle but the other 4 are rattle free. They can get a rattle if I have a battery with an extra wrap on it, just that little amount is enough to cause a rattle because the tolerances are close.

I have had a magnet fall out of my red G2 once, just glued it back in. I had dropped it and the door went flying off and luckily I found the magnet that flew out too. My poor red one is the only one that has been dropped and I dropped it 2 times, once on my big toe, left a bruise that lasted awhile.

Never thought I would own 5 G2's, I like variety. For around $60 the performance and build quality is such a steal for me. I have 5 Slices as well, every color except the @SirRichardRear teal....lol. I do prefer the G2 over the Slice though but the Slice can be picked up for $30 on sale making it one hell of a value, just get a wrap for it as the paint generally sucks.

Having a magnet flying out from a fall is probably the least harm that could be done. Leaving a bruise on your toe is a whole other issue lol. Those causes for battery rattle make sense be it an extra wrap or protruding/long ribbon since it'll push against the battery door. I'm leaning towards Charon right now. I've messaged Smoant on reddit and asked if their second update would include lowering the battery cut off and if that was even possible to be done via a firmware update. Waiting to here back from them, however if it can be done I'll pull the trigger on it. They said their firmware will be out by the end of the month. I'd start my TC adventures with the Charon and if I end up liking it I'll get the G2 for better accuracy. I did read somewhere though that they might stop making the G2? If this is true I definitely don't want to miss the boat on that!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Guys like you are one of the reasons I still have faith in this community where there are plenty of misleading biased reviews. I'll check em out!

Thx again. Very much appreciated.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Having a magnet flying out from a fall is probably the least harm that could be done. Leaving a bruise on your toe is a whole other issue lol. Those causes for battery rattle make sense be it an extra wrap or protruding/long ribbon since it'll push against the battery door. I'm leaning towards Charon right now. I've messaged Smoant on reddit and asked if their second update would include lowering the battery cut off and if that was even possible to be done via a firmware update. Waiting to here back from them, however if it can be done I'll pull the trigger on it. They said their firmware will be out by the end of the month. I'd start my TC adventures with the Charon and if I end up liking it I'll get the G2 for better accuracy. I did read somewhere though that they might stop making the G2? If this is true I definitely don't want to miss the boat on that!

I vaped until I got the check battery msg and took them out and both batteries had 3.40V each. Bear from Smoant said he was going to release the update to his reviewers first but it is supposed to be only for the variable wattage and TC settings. I will ask about the voltage cuttoff as well but I don't think it's coming on this update. They have set the updates for the Charon as priority 1 since they know a lot of people have been asking for it.

The Charon is a solid choice to go with first, it is more pocket friendly than the G2 for sure. You also get the pass through charging on the Charon that the G2 lacks. I never take my G2's on the road with me unless I remember to bring batteries. I usually take the Slice if I want some FSK goodness on the road.

I wouldn't sleep on getting the G2 though, hard to say how much longer you will be able to buy one.

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Hohm Wrecker G2 is hands down one of the best mods for its price! It's a work horse and never skips a beat! I don't use TC mode that much but I did test it out and with a sub-ohm tank, the FSK chip does it's job and it works but do note that you have to set it up for each tank (The mod doesn't do it automatically). In power mode, this mod is excellent! Many of my friends have one of these and not one of them complained about it. You can head over to the Hohm Wrecker G2 thread and see for yourself. It isn't as pocket friendly or comfortable as other mods but it most certainly performs excellent IMHO.

VU Sponsors