Become a Patron!

Hohm Wrecker G2 VS Smoant Charon?

oSt

Member For 2 Years
I vaped until I got the check battery msg and took them out and both batteries had 3.40V each. Bear from Smoant said he was going to release the update to his reviewers first but it is supposed to be only for the variable wattage and TC settings. I will ask about the voltage cuttoff as well but I don't think it's coming on this update. They have set the updates for the Charon as priority 1 since they know a lot of people have been asking for it.

The Charon is a solid choice to go with first, it is more pocket friendly than the G2 for sure. You also get the pass through charging on the Charon that the G2 lacks. I never take my G2's on the road with me unless I remember to bring batteries. I usually take the Slice if I want some FSK goodness on the road.

I wouldn't sleep on getting the G2 though, hard to say how much longer you will be able to buy one.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
You're right about not including the voltage cut off in the upcoming firmware, which is why I asked if it would be available in the next update. I even noticed they posted a new Charon touch screen they're coming up with and people went all crazy on Bear for continuing to come out with new hardware and yet to provide firmware. I think it'll be available 8/1. I'd really appreciate if you could ask bear since I'm sure he'll more likely respond to you since your a reviewer.

It'll sure be a sad day for me once they stop making those G2's.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

oSt

Member For 2 Years
The Hohm Wrecker G2 is hands down one of the best mods for its price! It's a work horse and never skips a beat! I don't use TC mode that much but I did test it out and with a sub-ohm tank, the FSK chip does it's job and it works but do note that you have to set it up for each tank (The mod doesn't do it automatically). In power mode, this mod is excellent! Many of my friends have one of these and not one of them complained about it. You can head over to the Hohm Wrecker G2 thread and see for yourself. It isn't as pocket friendly or comfortable as other mods but it most certainly performs excellent IMHO.
I no longer have any doubt about the performance of the G2. If a mod gets that many posts and that much praise it automatically becomes a no brainer. Since the mod that I'll be purchasing will become my all-day every-day mod, portability is an important factor for me.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're right about not including the voltage cut off in the upcoming firmware, which is why I asked if it would be available in the next update. I even noticed they posted a new Charon touch screen they're coming up with and people went all crazy on Bear for continuing to come out with new hardware and yet to provide firmware. I think it'll be available 8/1. I'd really appreciate if you could ask bear since I'm sure he'll more likely respond to you since your a reviewer.

It'll sure be a sad day for me once they stop making those G2's.

This is the response I got from Bear:

I honestly don't have a clear answer for you on whether the computer software will have the ability to adjust the cutoff in future updates. It goes down to about 3.1v before full cutoff but will temporarily cut during pulse at 2.8v. So for MTL and higher ohm coils it isn't an issue but if you use a .1 coil at 100w you will hit the cutoff sooner because of the initial pulse on the battery.

Because of this the engineers are hesitant to change it but as advanced users we know what we want which in this case favors battery life per cycle but lowers the overall life of the batteries which isn't favorable to new users.

Hence my strong suggestion to put this feature into the software which will primarily be used by advanced users who can make an informed choice. At this point it is a bit of a deadlock but the more the community demands it (my bosses read every Reddit comment) the closer we are to getting that feature.

Full circle; no it's not currently at the top of the list but it is on the list. We have a few new mods coming out soon so my hope is that they will at least get a lower battery cutoff or an option to adjust it. But regardless, I will continue to strongly suggest implementing the change.

From that response I actually sort of get it. I am going to switch to a low wattage tank when it starts giving me the check battery warning and see how far I can take the batteries down when running at 30 watts. I was running it in TC at 85 watts with a .2 ohm build when I got the last check battery warning.

oSt

Member For 2 Years
This is the response I got from Bear:

I honestly don't have a clear answer for you on whether the computer software will have the ability to adjust the cutoff in future updates. It goes down to about 3.1v before full cutoff but will temporarily cut during pulse at 2.8v. So for MTL and higher ohm coils it isn't an issue but if you use a .1 coil at 100w you will hit the cutoff sooner because of the initial pulse on the battery.

Because of this the engineers are hesitant to change it but as advanced users we know what we want which in this case favors battery life per cycle but lowers the overall life of the batteries which isn't favorable to new users.

Hence my strong suggestion to put this feature into the software which will primarily be used by advanced users who can make an informed choice. At this point it is a bit of a deadlock but the more the community demands it (my bosses read every Reddit comment) the closer we are to getting that feature.

Full circle; no it's not currently at the top of the list but it is on the list. We have a few new mods coming out soon so my hope is that they will at least get a lower battery cutoff or an option to adjust it. But regardless, I will continue to strongly suggest implementing the change.

From that response I actually sort of get it. I am going to switch to a low wattage tank when it starts giving me the check battery warning and see how far I can take the batteries down when running at 30 watts. I was running it in TC at 85 watts with a .2 ohm build when I got the last check battery warning.

I got the same response from him yesterday too. I appreciate your quick update though! I'm struggling to understand what he means by this:

"It goes down to about 3.1v before full cutoff but will temporarily cut during pulse at 2.8v. So for MTL and higher ohm coils it isn't an issue but if you use a .1 coil at 100w you will hit the cutoff sooner because of the initial pulse."

What does he mean by temporarily cutting during pulse at 2.8v and that I'd hit the cutoff sooner because of the initial pulse at lower ohms and higher wattage? These terms definitely seem too technical for my humble standards :) By the looks of it, it seems like this unlikely to be a feature in even future firmwares and they're probably going to only include in the newer mods. For my simple reference, do you think it's possible you could estimate how long an average pair of batteries (LG hg2 for example {20amp}) last you between 0.15-0.5 ohms and 35-70 watts in wattage mode? Much appreciated.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I got the same response from him yesterday too. I appreciate your quick update though! I'm struggling to understand what he means by this:

"It goes down to about 3.1v before full cutoff but will temporarily cut during pulse at 2.8v. So for MTL and higher ohm coils it isn't an issue but if you use a .1 coil at 100w you will hit the cutoff sooner because of the initial pulse."

What does he mean by temporarily cutting during pulse at 2.8v and that I'd hit the cutoff sooner because of the initial pulse at lower ohms and higher wattage? These terms definitely seem too technical for my humble standards :) By the looks of it, it seems like this unlikely to be a feature in even future firmwares and they're probably going to only include in the newer mods. For my simple reference, do you think it's possible you could estimate how long an average pair of batteries (LG hg2 for example {20amp}) last you between 0.15-0.5 ohms and 35-70 watts in wattage mode? Much appreciated.

He means if you're taking a draw and the battery voltage sags below 2.8 volts, it will momentarily shut off. Once you release the fire button and voltage goes back up, it will fire again.

I don't understand what he means about a .1 coil draining the batteries faster either because the only thing that affects current draw in a regulated mod is watts.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He means if you're taking a draw and the battery voltage sags below 2.8 volts, it will momentarily shut off. Once you release the fire button and voltage goes back up, it will fire again.

I don't understand what he means about a .1 coil draining the batteries faster either because the only thing that affects current draw in a regulated mod is watts.
He was referring to 0.10ohm coil but yeah, in the response it looks like 1 coil.

You explained well, he is referring to the voltage sag which most if not all regulated mods do.

Now that I reread your post you were referring to .1 ohm coil as well, sorry, still ned another cup of coffee this morning.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

If the Charon had a puff counter it would be a lot easier to estimate battery life, unfortunately it doesn't. So far I have been getting a full day with the battlestar RTA with a dual triple core parallel at .20 ohms in TC, temp at 430f and watts at 85 to 100. I have only had the Charon for 4 days, still need more time with it but so far not a lot to complain about.

Once I get more experience with battery life I will let you know.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If the Charon had a puff counter it would be a lot easier to estimate battery life, unfortunately it doesn't. So far I have been getting a full day with the battlestar RTA with a dual triple core parallel at .20 ohms in TC, temp at 430f and watts at 85 to 100. I have only had the Charon for 4 days, still need more time with it but so far not a lot to complain about.

M, how do you compare tc on the Smoant mods to the G2? Are they even in the same city, much less the same neighborhood? :)

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
M, how do you compare tc on the Smoant mods to the G2? Are they even in the same city, much less the same neighborhood? :)
The TC on the Charon is pretty good, just about 25 to 30f hot compared to the G2 SS preset and about 15 to 20f hot compared to a DNA but turn it down and it is smooth and consistent. So far I like the TC more than the new Aegis which has been a little hit or miss.
In 4 days I have used the TC mode 95% of the time, need to stop and start using power and the new power curve mode. If it wasn't for review I would just use it in TC mode, works that good.

I just looked on fasttech and Charon is only $41.22 for the copper if you use coupon code SALE which takes 5% off and is good until the end of the month. I wish I didn't look it up, now I am tempted to buy it. The variable voltage version is only $34.45, must stop looking, the temptation is real.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The TC on the Charon is pretty good, just about 25 to 30f hot compared to the G2 SS preset and about 15 to 20f hot compared to a DNA but turn it down and it is smooth and consistent. So far I like the TC more than the new Aegis which has been a little hit or miss.
In 4 days I have used the TC mode 95% of the time, need to stop and start using power and the new power curve mode. If it wasn't for review I would just use it in TC mode, works that good.

I just looked on fasttech and Charon is only $41.22 for the copper if you use coupon code SALE which takes 5% off and is good until the end of the month. I wish I didn't look it up, now I am tempted to buy it. The variable voltage version is only $34.45, must stop looking, the temptation is real.

Cool! The reason I'm asking is, I'm having a helluva time with tc on my hohmwrecker. I've never used tc before I got it and I don't know how many watts I want to vape at, or what temp I like for me to be able to set it and then adjust my fsk.

I thought if I had a mod with good tc that wasn't as finicky for lack of a better word, I'd know more about what I want then I could match it on the G2.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@MWorthington if I remember correctly you were looking to add the Zenith as well? If you like the TFV12, ECO12 or any other high powered tank the Zenith is a beast with them. I love that mod so much I bought 2. Healthcabin.net has them for something like $23 and I had heard that today there having a 20% off sale. I can look up the coupon code later today, about to get in the car.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@MWorthington if I remember correctly you were looking to add the Zenith as well? If you like the TFV12, ECO12 or any other high powered tank the Zenith is a beast with them. I love that mod so much I bought 2. Healthcabin.net has them for something like $23 and I had heard that today there having a 20% off sale. I can look up the coupon code later today, about to get in the car.

Yeah, the zenith is definitely on my list. If I can get the battlestar, charon, and the zenith, my mod bucketlist will be fulfilled. I can start collecting attys then.

Yeah, I've got my head sticking down the rabbit hole without a doubt. :)

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool! The reason I'm asking is, I'm having a helluva time with tc on my hohmwrecker. I've never used tc before I got it and I don't know how many watts I want to vape at, or what temp I like for me to be able to set it and then adjust my fsk.

I thought if I had a mod with good tc that wasn't as finicky for lack of a better word, I'd know more about what I want then I could match it on the G2.
What coils are you using? If SS316L try FSK at 12.5% and adjust up if you want it hotter or down for cooler. Set your temp at 440f and power depending on the build but if you normally run at 100 watts then there or higher would be good. Pretty much adjust your FSK until it mimics what you get in power, use that as your baseline until you find what works best for you. For TC to really work though be careful when you get to an empty tank, if you don't get dry hits then your good, if you do then either adjust temp or FSK down.

TC is more about a consistent vape and avoiding dry hits. It is not for all that's for sure, it is probably 75% of vapers who use power mode exclusively.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What coils are you using? If SS316L try FSK at 12.5% and adjust up if you want it hotter or down for cooler. Set your temp at 440f and power depending on the build but if you normally run at 100 watts then there or higher would be good. Pretty much adjust your FSK until it mimics what you get in power, use that as your baseline until you find what works best for you. For TC to really work though be careful when you get to an empty tank, if you don't get dry hits then your good, if you do then either adjust temp or FSK down.

TC is more about a consistent vape and avoiding dry hits. It is not for all that's for sure, it is probably 75% of vapers who use power mode exclusively.

Thanks! I'm gonna get out of this thread with this discussion. I'll post some more questions in the first time user's guide thread.

oSt

Member For 2 Years

Would that mean it would shut off momentarily if the voltage sags below a total of 5.6 volts in a dual battery configuration? Idk why I was under the impression it would continue working accurately in wattage mode until the batteries died without a drop in wattages (aka volts)? Or maybe I'm just confused? lol

oSt

Member For 2 Years

That's one of the other reasons I loved my Alien. I would know when I'd need to put in fresh batteries (~500 puffs) instead of relying on a battery bar. I know there are plenty of factors to include to estimate battery life such as the amount of e-liquid vaped, VG/PG ratio, chain vaping, duration of a draw, battery condition...etc

Nonetheless, it seems like it's holding up decently so far. I'll be waiting for what you think! Thanks!

oSt

Member For 2 Years

That is precisely the reason I think I should purchase a decent TC mod before getting the G2. Too many other variables on the G2 when I don't even have a preference yet to wattage or temperature.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Would that mean it would shut off momentarily if the voltage sags below a total of 5.6 volts in a dual battery configuration? Idk why I was under the impression it would continue working accurately in wattage mode until the batteries died without a drop in wattages (aka volts)? Or maybe I'm just confused? lol

It will. If you have it set at 100 watts, it'll put out 100 watts right to the point it shuts off, but cutoff doesn't mean the batteries are at 0 volts. If your batteries go below 2.5 volts each, you'll most likely be throwing them away and buying new ones, hence the 3.1 hard cutoff, and the 2.8 volt pulse cutoff - to protect your batteries. It's simply a safety cushion to prevent fatal damage to your cells.

Carmmond

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is precisely the reason I think I should purchase a decent TC mod before getting the G2. Too many other variables on the G2 when I don't even have a preference yet to wattage or temperature.
No more than any other mod if you think about it.... sets up just as easy as any DNA mod I have just have to read about it in the user guide thread and you will get way more help than at any store so he is on the right track.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

I just vape till it shuts off. I don't even look at the battery level 90% of the time. I know with the batteries I've got...Samsung 25Rs, I'll get 5 hours or so on a pair at 50 watts. That's long enough to make sure my other pair is charged so I don't sweat it. I think I will get some 3000mah batteries, though, just for a little longer between charges.

VU Sponsors