Become a Patron!

Hoping my 2nd attempt at DIY juice is successful

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, I keep trying till I think I've done alright, then realize the next day I didn't & it sucks, & then trying again. There has been progress, but still have a ways to go. At least the batch I made last night is vapable.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Percentages with FlavourArt are low, it's really concentrated. Don't know if that helps.

Have you tried your PG/VG by themselves? If those taste fine, try that with nic. Seems like you tried this before, but wanted to mention it anyway.

And be sure to shake everything. Seems you've done this, too, but figure it's worth mentioning.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I'm hoping the FA ..........flavors , I've gone quite a bit over the budget I was given for all this for a while.

I remember being in your exact position burnt out on junk recipes and generally getting frustrated more than enjoying myself and my juice. I remember seeing HIC post a comment in a thread cant remember now what the topic was but it convinced me to try as couple flavor art flavors. ... pow! changed everythng. they are just so clean and fresh you can mix on the fly and burn up hundreds of samples in no time all the while learning about pairing and what taste good and what doesnt. you quickly learn what the best flavors are too ;)

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I discovered what I believe has been the main problem. The mixing calculator I am using gives an option to use drops as a measurement, which i made the mistake of using. While FA flavors may be strong, they were not strong enough for the bad conversion to drops the calculator gave. Instead of 5% I was getting more like 0.5%. So, I got the vague aroma of the flavor but no actual flavor. Fixed the problem, mixed some juice, & it is a much better starting point. I'll get there. I have switched to using exclusively FA for now. Once I get those figured out, I may branch out to others. But for now I'm sticking to a smaller learning curve. Thank you guys for all your help!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I discovered what I believe has been the main problem. The mixing calculator I am using gives an option to use drops as a measurement, which i made the mistake of using. While FA flavors may be strong, they were not strong enough for the bad conversion to drops the calculator gave. Instead of 5% I was getting more like 0.5%. So, I got the vague aroma of the flavor but no actual flavor. Fixed the problem, mixed some juice, & it is a much better starting point. I'll get there. I have switched to using exclusively FA for now. Once I get those figured out, I may branch out to others. But for now I'm sticking to a smaller learning curve. Thank you guys for all your help!

Ahhh. I always forget about that drops per ml on calculators. Was trying to help someone the other day, we couldn't figure out why our calculations were different, then it dawned on me that I have mine set up differently. Those can be all over the place, depending on the size of the dropper tip on the flavoring bottle.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahhh. I always forget about that drops per ml on calculators. Was trying to help someone the other day, we couldn't figure out why our calculations were different, then it dawned on me that I have mine set up differently. Those can be all over the place, depending on the size of the dropper tip on the flavoring bottle.
Also the viscosity of the flavoring is a factor.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good to know I'm not the only one who's had that issue. If I had simply looked at how many ml's it was supposed to be I would have noticed the discrepancy right away, but I didn't. Live & learn.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Same for the small FA bottles.

Yeah, those skinnier tips are kinda all over the place. Back when the vendors were using the average size (bigger dropper, and generally re-bottled) the drops came out to about 33 per ml. I stick to measuring by weight, unless I'm making a sample.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, those skinnier tips are kinda all over the place. Back when the vendors were using the average size (bigger dropper, and generally re-bottled) the drops came out to about 33 per ml. I stick to measuring by weight, unless I'm making a sample.
I measure by volume. 1 ml syringes typically.
3 ml for larger batches.
I premix my PG/VG base and just top off with it after the flavorings and nic are in, unless I ma mixing a small sample batch then I use 10ML oral syringe for measuring my base.

Oral syringe with Korc is shown below.
I also use those in my 120 ml bottles of juice to refill unicorn and squonk bottles.
SAM_0196.JPG

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I measure by volume. 1 ml syringes typically.
3 ml for larger batches.
I premix my PG/VG base and just top off with it after the flavorings and nic are in, unless I ma mixing a small sample batch then I use 10ML oral syringe for measuring my base.

Oral syringe with Korc is shown below.
I also use those in my 120 ml bottles of juice to refill unicorn and squonk bottles.
View attachment 84738
I almost always have a base mix, too. I do put the nic in mine, and I don't make the allowance for flavors to be added. I figure it's pretty negligible.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, juice is getting better but still needs work... it's just gonna take time & effort. But one question: I attempted to make some max VG last night. I used a little in one tank, then changed the flavor a bit & tried it on another tank so as not to contaminate the 2nd version with the remnants of the 1st. Only, when I tried the 2nd in tank 2 it immediately burned the wick. I know max vg is thicker but why did it work in one tank & not the other? Both are wicked as close to exactly the same as possible. The coils are a bit different though (I'm wondering if that is the issue). Tank one has a fused Clapton, tank 2 has a juggernaut (which I don't think I'm a huge fan of at this point). Any ideas?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
OK, juice is getting better but still needs work... it's just gonna take time & effort. But one question: I attempted to make some max VG last night. I used a little in one tank, then changed the flavor a bit & tried it on another tank so as not to contaminate the 2nd version with the remnants of the 1st. Only, when I tried the 2nd in tank 2 it immediately burned the wick. I know max vg is thicker but why did it work in one tank & not the other? Both are wicked as close to exactly the same as possible. The coils are a bit different though (I'm wondering if that is the issue). Tank one has a fused Clapton, tank 2 has a juggernaut (which I don't think I'm a huge fan of at this point). Any ideas?

Are tank 1 and 2 the same brand/model? Did you prime your wick prior to filling the tank? That's something you need to do with max VG or else wait a good while for the wicks to saturate.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Happy mistakes are your friend also.
Also depending on the cotton you might have to do some prep work.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are tank 1 and 2 the same brand/model? Did you prime your wick prior to filling the tank? That's something you need to do with max VG or else wait a good while for the wicks to saturate.
No they are not. Tank 1 is the Big Baby Beast & tank 2 is the Limitless XL. My other suspicion is that the Limitless does not have much room between the casing for the coil and the glass, which might be impeding the flow of thicker juice to get to the wick fast enough. But all these suspicions are just guesses based on what little knowledge I have & what I can see.

I did prime the wicking. The very first part of the hit was good but it burnt in less that a second. It went flavor /burnt super quick.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I finally made a juice that I am happy with, unfortunately, it is one that I will never be able to recreate. It began days ago, wasn't happy & changed it, wasn't happy & changed it, repeat, repeat, repeat... But I feel that I now have a better grasp on the process. We'll see...

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For my juices in development I put a numbered label on the bottle.
Then in my little vaping notebook I keep track of everything I do to it.

Once it is "born" it gets a name.
I was keeping notes, but after a while every fix was just an act of desperation to not have more supplies to go waste & they became so many that I have up on keeping the notes. Honestly, I never thought it would get to the point where I would WANT to replicate it. But I did learn quite a bit about what % I like for which flavors & a bit about thinking those %s down when mixing with certain other flavors.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was keeping notes, but after a while every fix was just an act of desperation to not have more supplies to go waste & they became so many that I have up on keeping the notes. Honestly, I never thought it would get to the point where I would WANT to replicate it. But I did learn quite a bit about what % I like for which flavors & a bit about thinking those %s down when mixing with certain other flavors.

I keep all my notes in a spiral notebook. Might want to go back and check at what percentage a certain flavoring was best at.
I single flavor try most all flavorings before I mix them with other flavorings.

I have allergy? issues with ingredients in some flavorings and if they make my lips 'tingle' into the bin they do go. Unless the bottle is nice then I dump and have a nice smelling drain for a day.
the RF bottles have nice poly cone lids on them that also work on my 1 OZ glass bottles.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Last night I made a new juice, a blueberry lemonade, & it came out great! I've discovered that starting out at 5% for my flavors is too strong for my taste. So, now I start at 3% & work up if needed. For the 1st time in a week or 2 I'm finally vaping a nice that I'm truly enjoying!

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Created my second juice that I really enjoy. It is a Peaches and Cream made with FA Peach and DIY FlavorShack Whipped Cream. I have always liked peach juices, but they have always been slightly off. This one, however, is on the mark, not too sweet but no tart aftertaste. I am LOVING DIY! My wife just laughs at me while I'm doing it, too, because I get so enthralled in it.

Now, my only issue is getting her juice to her liking...any suggestions would be welcome. I am currently mixing hers as an 80/20 VG/PG.
5% Forest Fruit FA
3% Blackberry DIY FlavorShack
1% Menthol LB

When I taste hers I am able to pick up on all the flavors, none too strong, none too weak. The menthol is a nice cooling after effect (even though I HATE menthol). But my point is the menthol is not too strong and is not masking the other flavors when I taste it. However, when my wife tastes it, all she tastes is menthol. When I toned down the menthol, she wasn't getting enough menthol. I don't want to add so much flavor though that it quickly becomes an escallation of add fruit, add menthol, add fruit, add menthol. DIY for yourself is a challenge, DIY for someone else's taste is starting to feel impossible. Should I try upping the Blackberry to 4 or 5%? What would any of you do to start out?

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Created my second juice that I really enjoy. It is a Peaches and Cream made with FA Peach and DIY FlavorShack Whipped Cream. I have always liked peach juices, but they have always been slightly off. This one, however, is on the mark, not too sweet but no tart aftertaste. I am LOVING DIY! My wife just laughs at me while I'm doing it, too, because I get so enthralled in it.

Now, my only issue is getting her juice to her liking...any suggestions would be welcome. I am currently mixing hers as an 80/20 VG/PG.
5% Forest Fruit FA
1% Menthol LB

When I taste hers I am able to pick up on all the flavors, none too strong, none too weak. The menthol is a nice cooling after effect (even though I HATE menthol). But my point is the menthol is not too strong and is not masking the other flavors when I taste it. However, when my wife tastes it, all she tastes is menthol. When I toned down the menthol, she wasn't getting enough menthol. I don't want to add so much flavor though that it quickly becomes an escallation of add fruit, add menthol, add fruit, add menthol. DIY for yourself is a challenge, DIY for someone else's taste is starting to feel impossible. Should I try upping the Blackberry to 4 or 5%? What would any of you do to start out?
If you like blue raz I suggest trying OSDIYS Blue Raspberry Slushie. Its the best one Ive found. I started DIY to make blue raz at first. One Stop DIY Shop makes it. They are out of stock alot of the time though. It goes fast but they restock periodically.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you like blue raz I suggest trying OSDIYS Blue Raspberry Slushie. Its the best one Ive found. I started DIY to make blue raz at first. One Stop DIY Shop makes it. They are out of stock alot of the time though. It goes fast but they restock periodically.
I will definitely have to check that out. Blue razz was one that we tried originally, but weren't happy with liquid barn's blue razz. What % do you mix it at?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

5% Forest Fruit FA
1% Menthol LB

I wouldn't add more of the fruits. Start with the recipe where she didn't get enough menthol then slowly increase the menthol to her liking.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Apparently, it just needed to steep overnight. I came home from work today & she told me how great the juice came out & that it seemed to completely change overnight. Yay!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Apparently, it just needed to steep overnight. I came home from work today & she told me how great the juice came out & that it seemed to completely change overnight. Yay!

Sweet! Don't you just love it when plan works according to plan...:giggle:

Or you could have been the voice in her head...:devil:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I just made my best juice so far! It's a simple grape, but DAMN it's good! So happy right now! Can't stop using exclamation points!

I am SO SO happy for you. Really glad to see that you made it beyond the frustration. Many of us have been there, persistence pays off. I was one of those. My first couple juices nearly blew out my taste buds, so I stopped, took a breath, decided to keep researching. Luckily I "met" the best group of people, and I love them to pieces.. I still learn from them, too. Always something to learn.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And I was able to impress my wife enough to convince her to let me make a new order from Bull City. She was on the fence for a while on whether this would pay off, but today she said her new juice was better than her favorite store bought juice. Hellz yeah, bitches!

And now I'm reminded of the wise words of Han Solo, "Don't get cocky, kid."

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And I was able to impress my wife enough to convince her to let me make a new order from Bull City. She was on the fence for a while on whether this would pay off, but today she said her new juice was better than her favorite store bought juice. Hellz yeah, bitches!

And now I'm reminded of the wise words of Han Solo, "Don't get cocky, kid."

Just wait until you fuck a mix of 150+ ml. That will bring you back to earth. :D

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just wait until you fuck a mix of 150+ ml. That will bring you back to earth. :D
That was the previous batch. I was going for the same grape that I'm so happy about making this time, but I made the mistake of mixing in 3% FA Grape Concord. I was so confident that it was a 120ml batch. I got frustrated & dumped 60ml shortly after trying it. But I held on to the other half...it is still sitting on my nightstand taunting me with its over-floral unvapable nastiness. The worst part is I only had just enough of the grape flavoring that works wonderfully to make the one 60ml batch that I'm now so proud of. I will be reordering that flavor on my next order for sure!

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to give a HUUUUUUGE THANK YOU to everyone here! Without your help I am sure I would have given up on DIY. But with your help I have begun to truly enjoy my successes & enjoy the process of trial & error! Everyone here has been so nice & so helpful that it is often difficult to believe that it's an interwebz forum, lol! You all are awesome!

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn! I believe that this Shisha Strawberry & FA Watermelon nice is, not only the best Strawberry mix, but might be the best juice ever that I've had! I NEVER going back to store bought juice again!

Also, my wife found some store bought juice the other day & decided to try it again after have my homemade juice for a while now... she said she couldn't get through it fast enough to get back to vaping my juice again. Best compliment EVER!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Damn! I believe that this Shisha Strawberry & FA Watermelon nice is, not only the best Strawberry mix, but might be the best juice ever that I've had! I NEVER going back to store bought juice again!

Also, my wife found some store bought juice the other day & decided to try it again after have my homemade juice for a while now... she said she couldn't get through it fast enough to get back to vaping my juice again. Best compliment EVER!

GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent! The success is all yours. We just shared ideas, you did the work.

VU Sponsors