Become a Patron!

Hot bath in ultrasonic + breath = less flavor??

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Hi you guys.

I've made this recipe 3 days ago:

65VG/35PG
Strawberry (FW) – 3%
Red Touch (FA) – 2%
Sweet Strawberry (CAP) – 5%
Chessecake Graham Crust – 3%
Sugar Cookie (CAP) – 2%
Sweet Cream (TPA) – 2%
Bavarian Cream (CAP) – 2%

Just after the mix i put'em in a hot bath between 122-131 Fº (no more, no less) and run, in this temperature, a few cicles in the ultrasonic cleaner (for about 30 minutes in this temperature).

In the last 5 minutes o opened the bottle and lei it open after the end of process for extra 10 to 15 minutes.

Then close the cap and put in a dark and cool place (73,4Fº). Shake once a day.

Today i add some Nic salts (1,5 ml of 100mg/ml in a 50 ml bottle) to get a final juice with 3/mg/ml.

I tasted it and think is kind of weak in flavor. Is not bad, just too smooth. I feel a touch of strawberry, almost no chesse and crust. Very light e-juice. In a 1-10 scale, i say the flavor strongness is 4 (maybe 5), but i was hoping for at least an 8, with some strong strawberry and other flavors too.

Do you guys think this hot bath of 30 minutes in ultrasonic and this 15 to 20 minutes of breathing could had steeled and made my flavors vanish?

Or with a little extra time of natural steep my flavor could be increased? (This is more like a hope, lol).

Cause i already thinking of adding a few extra flavourings and maybe some sweetner to replace the taste i thik the hot bath in ultrasonic+breathing has taken away from me :gaah:

Thanks. Best.

Last edited:

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When i steep my store bought juice I put bottle in ziplok bag inside a pot of hot water I guess maybe around 130F for a few hours then afterwards let breathe for a day then store for 2 or 3 days occasionally shaking and burping bottles.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
First of all, you didn't mention which cheesecake graham crust you used so I'm assuming it's TFA in which case has no cheesecake, it's all crust. I don't use FW strawberry but I do have the others. I always use a touch (0.25%) of INW Shisha Strawberry to boost and preserve the strawberry.

I don't heat steep but I think you might have steeped it too hot. Seems like I remember reading that people run it about 105 degrees. I either shake it and vape it, or put it in the cabinet for a few days. What you have mixed up there...I would add a couple of drops of shisha strawberry, shake or mix well, and vape it! :)

If you want the cream cheese to come through, you'll need to use an actual cheesecake flavor - not just the crust.

Wllmc has an excellent strawberry cheesecake recipe right here on VU. Just search for Wllmc's Juicy Strawberry Cheesecake. Good luck!

Last edited:

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
First of all, you didn't mention which cheesecake graham crust you used so I'm assuming it's TFA in which case has no cheesecake, it's all crust. I don't use FW strawberry but I do have the others. I always use a touch (0.25%) of INW Shisha Strawberry to boost and preserve the strawberry.

I don't heat steep but I think you might have steeped it too hot. Seems like I remember reading that people run it about 105 degrees. I either shake it and vape it, or put it in the cabinet for a few days. What you have mixed up there...I would add a couple of drops of shisha strawberry, shake or mix well, and vape it! :)

If you want the cream cheese to come through, you'll need to use an actual cheesecake flavor - not just the crust.

Wllmc has an excellent strawberry cheesecake recipe right here on VU. Just search for Wllmc's Juicy Strawberry Cheesecake. Good luck!
Oh sorry about that. Yeah, it was TFA. And i didn't overheat it. I've done this recipe before just in the shake and vape and let it steep in a dark cabinet for a few days. In my memory it were more punchier, that's why i thought the "new method" i use could had been the responsible for the flavor loss. But is just speculation...

Anyway

I think is a good idea to put the Shisa to hold the strawberries together and add some real cheese :)

thanks man.

Best

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh sorry about that. Yeah, it was TFA. And i didn't overheat it. I've done this recipe before just in the shake and vape and let it steep in a dark cabinet for a few days. In my memory it were more punchier, that's why i thought the "new method" i use could had been the responsible for the flavor loss. But is just speculation...

Anyway

I think is a good idea to put the Shisa to hold the strawberries together and add some real cheese :)

thanks man.

Best

Ah, then I stand corrected. Like I said, I don't heat steep unless you count summertime in South Mississippi! :)

You may be on the right track because you've got quite a bit of strawberry there. If you have the shisha, try adding 0.25% to see if it'll bring it out. If not, then I would think it's the steeping method. That's all I got. Sorry. :(

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Just let it sit dude. Skip the processes that have potential to alter the outcome. You may get mixed results every time you do it and the end result might be slightly different killing all amounts of consistency. If you are impatient and just need to get it moving, stick it in a window for a while or throw it in the glove box of your car. It will change colors some in a matter of hours.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hi you guys.

I've made this recipe 3 days ago:

65VG/35PG
Strawberry (FW) – 3%
Red Touch (FA) – 2%
Sweet Strawberry (CAP) – 5%
Chessecake Graham Crust – 3%
Sugar Cookie (CAP) – 2%
Sweet Cream (TPA) – 2%
Bavarian Cream (CAP) – 2%

Just after the mix i put'em in a hot bath between 122-131 Fº (no more, no less) and run, in this temperature, a few cicles in the ultrasonic cleaner (for about 30 minutes in this temperature).

In the last 5 minutes o opened the bottle and lei it open after the end of process for extra 10 to 15 minutes.

Then close the cap and put in a dark and cool place (73,4Fº). Shake once a day.

Today i add some Nic salts (1,5 ml of 100mg/ml in a 50 ml bottle) to get a final juice with 3/mg/ml.

I tasted it and think is kind of weak in flavor. Is not bad, just too smooth. I feel a touch of strawberry, almost no chesse and crust. Very light e-juice. In a 1-10 scale, i say the flavor strongness is 4 (maybe 5), but i was hoping for at least an 8, with some strong strawberry and other flavors too.

Do you guys think this hot bath of 30 minutes in ultrasonic and this 15 to 20 minutes of breathing could had steeled and made my flavors vanish?

Or with a little extra time of natural steep my flavor could be increased? (This is more like a hope, lol).

Cause i already thinking of adding a few extra flavourings and maybe some sweetner to replace the taste i thik the hot bath in ultrasonic+breathing has taken away from me :gaah:

Thanks. Best.
I am a firm believer in the let it sit for “x” amount of time method. Aggressive heat steeping can, in my opinion, mess up your recipe. I’ve never personally tried it, so I can’t speak to experience, but I’ve done enough research to choose not to. But I tend to have a plethora of juice lying around in various stages of steeping. I definitely wouldn’t add any more flavor to what you’ve already done.....start over. You could further mute your recipe by adding more flavor.

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I am a firm believer in the let it sit for “x” amount of time method. Aggressive heat steeping can, in my opinion, mess up your recipe. I’ve never personally tried it, so I can’t speak to experience, but I’ve done enough research to choose not to. But I tend to have a plethora of juice lying around in various stages of steeping. I definitely wouldn’t add any more flavor to what you’ve already done.....start over. You could further mute your recipe by adding more flavor.
I've always done the old fashioned way. Shake and let it steep in a dark and cool place. And, shake it again once or other time. But, recently i've got myself a ultrasonic to clear pieces in my incipiate coil building production (giving the excuse that it would also clean my wife's earings, rings and necklaces :) ) .

So, when i mixed this recipe, i remebered that i have the ultrasonic and i decided to give a try to these seen "steeping internet tutorials". Lots of them talk about the warm water ( 122ºF to 131ºF) in the ultrasonic.

My first experience was the above. I think the juice of this experiment come out weird, weak, and lost its punch (compared to the same recipe i did and just shake with my hand and let it seat for a few days).

Anyway. I will give it another try just to be sure (and if anyone uses this method, please, gimme tips), but i think the old way is the champ.

Living and learning.

Best

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've always done the old fashioned way. Shake and let it steep in a dark and cool place. And, shake it again once or other time. But, recently i've got myself a ultrasonic to clear pieces in my incipiate coil building production (giving the excuse that it would also clean my wife's earings, rings and necklaces :) ) .

So, when i mixed this recipe, i remebered that i have the ultrasonic and i decided to give a try to these seen "steeping internet tutorials". Lots of them talk about the warm water ( 122ºF to 131ºF) in the ultrasonic.

My first experience was the above. I think the juice of this experiment come out weird, weak, and lost its punch (compared to the same recipe i did and just shake with my hand and let it seat for a few days).

Anyway. I will give it another try just to be sure (and if anyone uses this method, please, gimme tips), but i think the old way is the champ.

Living and learning.

Best
Learning is good! I’ll be following your progress with enthusiasm! Keep going. You’re doing great!

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Can't be of much help I'm afraid, time steeper here. If you are working with a proven recipe then yes I would simply remix and drop the heat steep entirely like Gypsy suggested.

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
You know what you guys... I think i'll let it seat for a while. Tryed today and it tastes a little better. Maybe after a week it can recover from the ultrasonic and hot bath, LOL.

I'll try it again in a few days just to see what happens. If nothing changes, i'll do a new batch the old fashioned way.

Meanwhile i'll vape my old DIY's and make a few more during the week to have a nice stock. Specially cause in this weekend we will have elections in Brazil, so i'll need to double my juice consuption to handle the stress :)

Best.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
By adding the Nicotine and testing it the liquid has not had time to Infuse the Nicotine. Proof of this is after a day it got better according to what I read you posted.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Anyway

thanks man.

Best

Really, after being at this a few years, heat steeping is highly overrated and I have come to learn that letting juice "breathe" is a real no-no.

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Really, after being at this a few years, heat steeping is highly overrated and I have come to learn that letting juice "breathe" is a real no-no.
That's exactly what im thinking right know. And I think you totally right.
I guess the ultrassonic could be nice just in a kind of way to have less arm effort. Like, if i'm doing 6 ou 7 seven little bottles i can go mixing and puting it in the ultrassonic for a few minutes while i'm preparing another bottle... Maybe put in warm water just to make the mixing process easier, but, as a rule, with caps closed. I think it could work as a replacement for the manual shake, maybe a good one (cause the machine really mix the juice), but nothing more than that.

And, as an accelerator of steeping, for me, and at least in this one, it seems not to have worked...

For sure i didn't test with more bottles to have a "scientific conclusion"... But, with this one, i feel exactly the way i've said above.

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
2.jpg
Keep in mind only glass and pet bottles are useful for the UC.
Ow yeah. I almost just use glass :) Near home there's a store of lab supplies that seels quality and cheap 30, 50 and 100 ml's glass brown bottles (don't know how you call in english that kink of glass that is dark brown colored :D )

Ah! And sometimes i use old aluminum bottles from comercial juices :rolleyes:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I used to use a hand mixer and heat to speed it up but now I heat with an Incandescent bulb in a desk lamp and a shake when I remember or want to check if it is ready. If I see any separation it is not infused. A few bubbles is fine but when I can see the PG/VG/Nic separately it is not ready. 100°F does wonders and 3-4 days it is ready. I have heated to 150°F and made e-Liquids ready in 4-5 hours but nothing beats time.

OcagePH

Member For 1 Year
I think those base flavors make takes time to mature after steeping, I can't even taste them after mix. It will only support the main profile. Try adjusting some of the base notes. Just leave it in a dark cool place, I think the time you should let your juice breathe if it is perfumy for your palette. Correct me if I'm wrong. It is best that you let it rest and taste after two weeks onwards. Also take note of the color it will definitely let you know if shes ready.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just leave it in a dark cool place

This is something I never do and no vape shop does either. Finished DIY or Retail e-Liquids are only kept out of Direct Sunlight because UV rays does degrade Nicotine. My DIY supplies are kept in a cool dark place (cardboard box they came in) and flavorings are kept in plastic toolboxes. I actually Age/infuse my DIY e-Liquids under an incandescent bulb to speed up the time it takes. Just my humble opinion............

OcagePH

Member For 1 Year
This is something I never do and no vape shop does either. Finished DIY or Retail e-Liquids are only kept out of Direct Sunlight because UV rays does degrade Nicotine. My DIY supplies are kept in a cool dark place (cardboard box they came in) and flavorings are kept in plastic toolboxes. I actually Age/infuse my DIY e-Liquids under an incandescent bulb to speed up the time it takes. Just my humble opinion............
In all honesty, I wanted to try this yet I'm afraid that our room is pretty small to have something like this. I'm open to all the ways. This is noted and will be used in the future <3. Thank you as always Steve~

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In all honesty, I wanted to try this yet I'm afraid that our room is pretty small to have something like this. I'm open to all the ways. This is noted and will be used in the future <3. Thank you as always Steve~

If you are talking about the incandescent bulb it is just my desk lamp.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thank you as always Steve~

You are very Welcome but no need to thank me because I advocate for vaping everyday and helping in any little way I can it reward enough~! Thank You though~! @OcagePH

tenor.gif

VU Sponsors