Become a Patron!

How big is too big?

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Holy crap, I just saw Kanger's new 5 battery mod and it's MASSIVE. It looks big in those guys' hands and they've got big hands. I can't imagine trying to hold one myself, especially when it's got five 18650s in it. Cripes.

How big is too big? When does it get to the point where it's not longer comfortably portable? :giggle:

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Holy crap, I just saw Kanger's new 5 battery mod and it's MASSIVE. It looks big in those guys' hands and they've got big hands. I can't imagine trying to hold one myself, especially when it's got five 18650s in it. Cripes.

How big is too big? When does it get to the point where it's not longer comfortably portable? :giggle:
5d486a108a0918910856ad7a03c0ced5.jpg
d218b25d21708a9490f879e6ad7afd37.jpg

JUST PERFECT..........

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I believe all mods over 2 batteries are too big to be easily portable. At least on a daily basis anyway. I will take my 3 batt mods with me to a friends house to hang out. But every day to work..........No.

Happy Vaping!
CV :)

Everyday.....

And Hangout...

861bec46f2ff9fd91768766ac5f026e4.jpg
d0d5ff1f7da7142442f9c50a735b1afb.jpg
a813d0d1060dc05293e532417ea2d84e.jpg

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

:giggle::giggle:

I believe all mods over 2 batteries are too big to be easily portable. At least on a daily basis anyway. I will take my 3 batt mods with me to a friends house to hang out. But every day to work..........No.

Happy Vaping!
CV :)

I don't even use my RX2/3 with 3 batteries because it's too big for my hands. :teehee: The Therion 166 verges on too big.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've used my rx200 for about a year. For work and at home. It fits nicely in my hand but I wouldn't mind a 2 battery mod. Thing is, I doubt a 2 battery mod would last me all day.

4-5 battery mod? No way I'll ever get one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, too big for me! A single 18650 already makes my chefs pants sag on one side. I use my dual battery mods at home. 4-5 would be a waste of power...I vape between 30-45w.​

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The mod with the stupidest form factor that I own is the Wismec RX300. It's just plain uncomfortable to use.

However, I do I have 4-battery mod that's very easy to live with all day long, and that's the Smok GX350: the diamond battery placement - as opposed to the square pattern in the RX300 - makes all the difference.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The mod with the stupidest form factor that I own is the Wismec RX300. It's just plain uncomfortable to use.

However, I do I have 4-battery mod that's very easy to live with all day long, and that's the Smok GX350: the diamond battery placement - as opposed to the square pattern in the RX300 - makes all the difference.
For me it's the opposite. I usually hold my RX300 with the screen facing away from me whilst bending my pinky finger underneath the bottom to support the weight so after about a week or so I completely got used to holding it that way, and to a point where it feels more comfortable to me than any of the diamond shaped ones, but I would NEVER trust the GX350 because I have personally seen it jump to max power so it can be downright dangerous to use. Custom curve preheat in VW mode (thanks to Arctic Fox) is another reason why, for me, the RX300 is still leaps and bounds ahead of any of the other 4-battery regulated mods available right now (that is, not counting the DNA version of the Hammer of God because that one fits in a whole different price range anyway).

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me it's the opposite. I usually hold my RX300 with the screen facing away from me whilst bending my pinky finger underneath the bottom to support the weight so after about a week or so I completely got used to holding it that way, and to a point where it feels more comfortable to me than any of the diamond shaped ones, but I would NEVER trust the GX350 because I have personally seen it jump to max power so it can be downright dangerous to use. Custom curve preheat in VW mode (thanks to Arctic Fox) is another reason why, for me, the RX300 is still leaps and bounds ahead of any of the other 4-battery regulated mods available right now (that is, not counting the DNA version of the Hammer of God because that one fits in a whole different price range anyway).

You just opened yourself up to a world of 510 hate

:p

I love my RX200. Got it when they first came out and it's still going strong. Looks like shit but works like new.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I love my RX200. Got it when they first came out and it's still going strong. Looks like shit but works like new.
I love my rx200 it's the smallest of a (3)18650..... I had 14g wire put in mine and it hits hard.... But the 510 sucks ass on the rx200....

I'm not sure about the Rx300 510 pin, but I have seen a lot of them where the screen dies.....

Everything works, but a dead screen......

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol, I agree the mods are getting a bit ridonkulous. Different strokes for different folks I guess, personally I have no plans for anything bigger than a dual battery mod. Just because I've used 1" impact wrenches doesn't mean it's my new pocket tool nor do I want to try and lug around a compressor big enough to drive one.

Maybe for special occasions, novelty, events (cloud chasing) or something. Otherwise I want something comfortable to use. As it is dual battery mods are heavy enough if I try to pocket them in something like a pair of shorts I have to keep hiking them up. I don't want to have to resort to something like a k'tan to haul my mod around. :p

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nothing leading in that thread title. Why Khassy, if I didn't know you better I would think you did that on purpose. :devil:

Seriously, who the hell is the target audience for a 5 battery mod? At that point it needs handles - like a sippy cup.
:teehee::teehee::teehee:

I say yeah to the sippy cup handles... put the fire button at the top of one and its perfect :giggle::giggle::giggle::hamster:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

:p

I really never understood the 510 hate.
Code:
https://youtu.be/vstAuDfSlSs?t=294
Code:
https://youtu.be/hgERfhj_UHI?t=2045

Last edited:

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why would you waste your time with a 5 18650? Just get some big ass lipo mod.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Some people just don't want a box.... They want a sexy mod..... They want to be modern, and to own the cute looking mods...... I prefer a simple practical box mod........
ab3bc1cad73307bc1285b83e4f71b8d9.jpg
d826788d7431facf446bec32ccab6428.jpg
ae31c7644e1b54b6208c58178de02558.jpg

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya I've got stacks of lipos. I have rc trucks, cars, quadcopters and boats. I definitely wouldn't recommend them to everyone, but generally the dna200/250 is quite safe with lipos.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

That's why you own a lipo you use this...
04ad85e81a64d6785f980cc1dfaa21b5.jpg
LiPos use the most volatile of the Li-Ion chemistries, going into thermal runaway and bursting with flames at the lowest battery temperature and the most violently. They are damaged at much lower temperatures than the round batteries we use. Most LiPos are badly stressed at about 60°C and permanently damaged by 80°C. Note that at an internal temperature of 60°C the outside of a pack is just warm. 18650s are rated to be run at about 80°C and typically aren't badly damaged until they reach over 110°C. Depending on the mod that you use, it can be possible to notice the 18650 batteries are getting very warm, long before they start to get dangerously too hot. So the 18650s truly are a safer bet because LiPos can also start to vent inside your mod, not just whilst being recharged, and they can also start to vent completely unexpectedly─even, if the LiPos are running at a low enough temperature for them to still be "theoretically safe".

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I to have The 4 Battery Smok GX350, this mod can also be a weapon I think I could knock somebody out with it.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LiPos use the most volatile of the Li-Ion chemistries, going into thermal runaway and bursting with flames at the lowest battery temperature and the most violently. They are damaged at much lower temperatures than the round batteries we use. Most LiPos are badly stressed at about 60°C and permanently damaged by 80°C. Note that at an internal temperature of 60°C the outside of a pack is just warm. 18650s are rated to be run at about 80°C and typically aren't badly damaged until they reach over 110°C. Depending on the mod that you use, it can be possible to notice the 18650 batteries are getting very warm, long before they start to get dangerously too hot. So the 18650s truly are a safer bet because LiPos can also start to vent inside your mod, not just whilst being recharged, and they can also start to vent completely unexpectedly─even, if the LiPos are running at a low enough temperature for them to still be "theoretically safe".
I feel that not balance charging hurts a lipo ... I like balancing them at a lower amp charge at around 1 amp or maybe 1.4.... I had a guy tell me today ... Aaaah that Maxamps 100c can handle 3amp charging without a problem but I rather not risk it. ...

What happens when you are charging at 3amps quick and your cells are at different voltage levels ? Any one knows

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I to have The 4 Battery Smok GX350, this mod can also be a weapon I think I could knock somebody out with it.

I don't know, I kinda got used to its weight. It's one of the mods I pick the most in the morning when I select my vape setups for the day, and it feels entirely natural and comfortable in my hand. I have 1 or 2 battery billet copper mods that are heavier than the GX350.

Also, I've never had a single problem with it going into a runaway power incident or anything else. Not saying it can't happen, but it hasn't happened to me. My GX350 is utterly reliable, quite discreet and reasonably lightweight for a 4-battery mod I reckon. My shirt pocket disagrees however :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I feel that not balance charging hurts a lipo ... I like balancing them at a lower amp charge at around 1 amp or maybe 1.4.... I had a guy tell me today ... Aaaah that Maxamps 100c can handle 3amp charging without a problem but I rather not risk it. ...

What happens when you are charging at 3amps quick and your cells are at different voltage levels ? Any one knows

The charging rate of a LiPo battery is expressed in terms of a ‘C’ rate. The ‘C’ stands for capacity, and is the mAh capacity of the battery, but with units of just amps. The mAh unit is current (mA) × time (hours) which is a unit of electric charge, but it’s more commonly thought of as capacity. The recommended charge rate for most LiPo batteries is 1 C, which is 1 times the capacity rating of the battery, with the units changed to amps. For example, a 5000 mAh capacity battery charged at 1 C would make for a charge rate of 5 amps. Don’t be aggressive with charge rate. In addition to shortening the battery’s lifespan, this can cause overheating and a possible fire. To operate effectively, each of the battery’s cells must be identical in voltage. To achieve this ‘balance’ among the cell voltages, LiPo batteries are configured with a balance plug, which can be attached to the battery charger or parallel charging board. The balance plug will adjust the current flowing to each cell. This ensures that during the charging process the battery will not only reach it’s design voltage, but each cell will reach 4.2 volts. LiPo batteries can be charged without balancing, but it’s recommended to balance each time.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nothing leading in that thread title. Why Khassy, if I didn't know you better I would think you did that on purpose. :devil:

Seriously, who the hell is the target audience for a 5 battery mod? At that point it needs handles - like a sippy cup.

:teehee:

The thing that surprised me about that 5 battery mod was the power. I've seen mods require 3 or 4 batteries to go up to 300 watts (not sure why anyone would need that much, though), but the 5 battery mod only goes to 200ish. So what's the point of all the batteries? Why not a more reasonable 2-3 battery mod and carry spares if it's for longer battery life?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
:teehee:

The thing that surprised me about that 5 battery mod was the power. I've seen mods require 3 or 4 batteries to go up to 300 watts (not sure why anyone would need that much, though), but the 5 battery mod only goes to 200ish. So what's the point of all the batteries? Why not a more reasonable 2-3 battery mod and carry spares if it's for longer battery life?
Not only high watts, but also chain vaping and hot weather conditions (or a hot climate) will force the temperature of the batteries to go up. If the battery temperature rises far above 45°C/113°F too frequently and or for prolonged periods of time, the resulting excess wear and tear on the batteries will force you to buy new ones a lot more frequently than you might want or be able to afford, and, in addition, you run a bigger risk of overheating the batteries each time when you are operating them at such overly warm temperatures so battery safety also plays a huge part.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know, I kinda got used to its weight. It's one of the mods I pick the most in the morning when I select my vape setups for the day, and it feels entirely natural and comfortable in my hand. I have 1 or 2 battery billet copper mods that are heavier than the GX350.

Also, I've never had a single problem with it going into a runaway power incident or anything else. Not saying it can't happen, but it hasn't happened to me. My GX350 is utterly reliable, quite discreet and reasonably lightweight for a 4-battery mod I reckon. My shirt pocket disagrees however :)
It is my go to mod right now, I have my Crown lll tank on it...

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
2 battery mods for me mainly cause I can't be arsed to buy a whole load of new married batteries ..started with two so stuck with it suits me perfectly

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it really depends on the person, some people like bigger ones while others find them uncomfortable.

I personally like mid sized ones, they fit in my hand comfortably and I can keep going all day with one around this size. Smaller can be good for quick sessions, or when you don't want to be noticed with a big one.

Large ones I don't use as often, but do have them. I don't really need the extra a larger one offers, and as I am fairly small they can be a bit uncomfortable for me.

Oh, you mean mods!

EDIT: On a serious note, dual 18650 is my preferred size most of the time.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like variety myself. I have teensy mods and huge-ass mods too. If I pick the former in the morning, I bring a box of spare batteries with me. If I pick the latter, the spare batteries are inside the mod essentially - so no difference really...

That's the great thing with vaping: there's so many formats to choose from and enjoy :)

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I think it really depends on the person, some people like bigger ones while others find them uncomfortable.

I personally like mid sized ones, they fit in my hand comfortably and I can keep going all day with one around this size. Smaller can be good for quick sessions, or when you don't want to be noticed with a big one.

Large ones I don't use as often, but do have them. I don't really need the extra a larger one offers, and as I am fairly small they can be a bit uncomfortable for me.

Oh, you mean mods!

EDIT: On a serious note, dual 18650 is my preferred size most of the time.

Seriously - preferred size what exactly? :devil:

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm now you really got me thinking...where is my debit card

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Ha ha..... I vaped the Voltrove for months on the Triade until I saved some money to buy a bigger mod...... I know the feeling of saving and dreaming and saving and more dreaming........

But then I'm buying ..... Send it.... Quickly

brandon david

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Honestly, I wouldn't mind a nice 4 battery mod. It would live in my truck's cup holder like my rx200 did. I will be on the road in 2 weeks for 9ish hours one way to a 3 day seminar/conference for work and could see a 4 battery mod and the aromamizer plus in 20ml mode on the drive.

Other than that, I'd just use it for a cup holder mod on the weekends so I can't really justify buying one. That, and there aren't any on the market that tickle my fancy at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors