Become a Patron!

How Can You Tell When It's Time For A New Coil?

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
HorizonTech Falcon King with their M-Dual coils. I'm just not tasting the Wow! flavour I did at first. Don't know whether it's me of the coils. I've had each tank about a week. I don't vape all day and all night long. Wattage has mostly been down around 50-57W, with occasional forays up to 60W for experimentation.

I'd say I have going on three weeks on the two coils.

The oldest one, when I recently changed juices, this time I took it apart and rinsed the coil in water. Cotton still looked fairly white.

I'm not tasting a burnt taste. And I'm still getting the clouds. Just not the taste.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Probably because you washed the stock coil. Makes the cotton white but does nothing to clean the gunk off the coil itself

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Probably because you washed the stock coil. Makes the cotton white but does nothing to clean the gunk off the coil itself
The coils, themselves, didn't look bad, either.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Thats a factory coil 4u. When i used them i lost the wow factor in days every time. And rinsing them nev er r helped like i wanted it to. Js

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Go DIY. Ya it is more labor intensive but you will have the results you r looking .

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Go DIY. Ya it is more labor intensive but you will have the results you r looking 4.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Go DIY. Ya it is more labor intensive but you will have the results you r looking .
LOL! See my thread: Building On The Venerable VLS Vector? :)

I do have my eye on an Augvape Intake Dual. Just waiting for somebody to have them in stock. However: I've rebuilt in the past. I'm not particularly excited to go back to that again. Mainly I plan on getting the RTA for insurance and I'm trying to build my past favourite RDA to see if I can still do it.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Update

Well, interestingly enough, the flavour is coming back. Almost back to "Wow!" level again. I'm thinking the problem is vaping that juice too much, too often, and getting vape fatigue. Switching juices helps, but only so much. I think the trick is to vape less, less often.

ISTR having this problem when I was vaping three years ago. I tried all kinds of things to get the "Wow!" back, and was never successful. The only juice that maintained its flavour for me was Archangel, and I only vaped that one on occasion, for short periods.

So I'm thinking I have my answer.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Update

Well, interestingly enough, the flavour is coming back. Almost back to "Wow!" level again. I'm thinking the problem is vaping that juice too much, too often, and getting vape fatigue. Switching juices helps, but only so much. I think the trick is to vape less, less often.

ISTR having this problem when I was vaping three years ago. I tried all kinds of things to get the "Wow!" back, and was never successful. The only juice that maintained its flavour for me was Archangel, and I only vaped that one on occasion, for short periods.

So I'm thinking I have my answer.
vape tongue will do that every time that why i have at least one mint i like and one cookie twist i like. mostly fruit thou. that and water with breaks when i went mesh i also noticed flavors last longer at lower wattages say 35 vs 55. or i TC at around 430 at 40 watts vs 50

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
i also noticed flavors last longer at lower wattages say 35 vs 55. or i TC at around 430 at 40 watts vs 50
Hmmm... I'll try dropping the wattage. But ISTR I didn't get much flavour at all below 45W on either my Falcon or my Falcon Kings. Depending upon juice and tank, flavour seems to peak at 50-55W and gain nothing from going higher.

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
now i have noticed roughly the same. just that the warmer the vape the shorter it last might be due to the wicking drying out... the best coil life and flavor i had was with the aspire odan tank .2 coil at lowest setting lasted over a week and flavor lasted thur its length

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
At 50-55W my vapes from my Falcon and two Falcon King tanks, using M1 and M-Dual coils, respectively, are just a bit warm. The coils in all three tanks are going on three weeks old, I guess. I've used the one Falcon King, which is the older of those two, the most.

Last edited:

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
in my case i take long pulls so anything that keeps up with that is a plus sometimes almost hitting the cut off.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Just switched to a different juice, in my other Falcon King tank. Wound it, in steps, all the way down to 40W. I think it'll work, there, with that juice. That juice always wanted lower wattage, anyway.

Yeah, I take pretty long pulls, too.

VU Sponsors