Become a Patron!

How did you get introduced to vaping?

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just curious how people found their way to vaping....

For me, I crossed through the living room while a football game was on (might have been a super bowl... not a sports fan) but it was a commercial and this guy was in a close-up (head shot) slowly exhaling what looked like a thick, dreamy, cloud of smoke that snaked all around his black beard. The narrator said, "It's not smoke. It's vapor." Then they showed the box of cigalikes. Don't remember what the brand was, but I was totally intrigued.

Good news: introduced me to vaping.
Bad news: all the money I wasted on cigalikes before I learned more. :)

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wanted to quit smoking and wandered into a couple of local vape shops and just asked. Was unsuccessful on first attempt at vaping. Wasn't untill a couple years later that my best friend was in a motorcycle accident and the Dr and his wife made him quit smoking (nicotine) to help healing. A mutual friend hooked him up with a vape. I hit his vape and it was much different than my first attempt. That sent me down the rabbit hole to vaping again and a new hobby.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I saw Katherine Heigl vaping on Letterman, circa maybe 2009-2010, was how I became acquainted with the concept. Then the winter of '13-'14 was the coldest winter round here in over 30 yrs -- I'd only been an outdoor-only smoker for about 16 yrs, so i was REALLY DAMN TIRED of freezing my ass off just to satisfy my habit, and had mentioned e-cigarettes to my husband a few times. Then a guy at his work was vaping, and my husband mentioned my interest to him, and the guy gave my husband a cigalike for me to try. It sucked, but I was still curious, so I got an Njoy disposable... which tasted like eucalyptus (ewww), but had a nice throat hit. I used it once when I had to spend the whole day at the hospital with my mom, and that was a good proof-of-concept, so then I got a Blu... which sucked even worse than the first one, since it tasted like sweet pipe tobacco (ewww). So I got mad and went to google, which sent me to ECF. They're a bunch of nazi asswipes over there, but I did learn to vape; what to buy and why, and all the various technical details.

When I first started vaping, I had no intention whatever of quitting smoking; I just wanted something to use indoors on cold nights... but when I discovered what a FANTASTIC substitute it was, I knew I had finally found the way to quit smoking. :) Over 4 yrs smoke-free now. :)

Andria

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@ Don and Andria -- funny how things work out isn't it? Don tried it and didn't like it, then was reintroduced again due to a pal being in a MC accident... Andria had no intentions of vaping full time, thinking it would be handy only for certain situations.

Our better angels always find a way to send us down the right path! :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@ Don and Andria -- funny how things work out isn't it? Don tried it and didn't like it, then was reintroduced again due to a pal being in a MC accident... Andria had no intentions of vaping full time, thinking it would be handy only for certain situations.

Our better angels always find a way to send us down the right path! :)

I'd wanted to quit for about the last 30 of my 39 yrs as a smoker... but after my 4th failed attempt, I'd given up on any idea of quitting. And when I started vaping, everyone told me I'd never find anything even remotely close to the taste of my cigarettes... and they were wrong. I got some "Virginia" from MyFreedomSmokes, because in their comments section, several had mentioned its similarity to Virginia Slims... which I smoked for over 30 yrs. My very first hit, I jumped out of my chair and hollered EUREKA! I CAN FINALLY QUIT SMOKING! It wasn't identical... but so close as made very little difference.

The first 6 months were rocky, various health issues like edema of my feet and legs, and then emergency appendectomy, the godawful recovery from which, caused a month-long relapse to dual use, and then when I finally quit again, I had to get some WTA to get rid of the cravings... but after that, it was pretty much smooth sailing.

Andria

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
It was a no brainier for me.
I started losing full use of my right leg, it still functioned properly but I couldn't even mow my front and back lawn in one session. My leg would start aching so bad I would have to come in and sit for a while.
After 3 doctors they determined that the main artery feeding my right leg was 90% clogged.
The vascular surgeon told me he could fix it with a stent but if i didn't want more serious issues in the future I had to quit smoking.
That and after seeing all of the anti-smoking commercials on TV lately was enough to convince me.
10/26/2016 I walked out of the Doctor's office, threw my cigarettes away and headed to the vape shop and haven't looked back since!
I haven't even cheated one time since then.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away!

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I was a 2 pack a day smoker and was scheduled for a major surgery, that would have left me bed ridden for 2 weeks. I needed a way to get nicotine without having to leave a hospital room to smoke.

There was a vape shop across the street from the surgeons office, so I went in and boughty first setup. The first one didn’t last long (it broke) and was quickly replaced. The old original mvp and kanger tank got me off the cigs for good. I didn’t set out to quit smoking, but I found a more enjoyable and less harmful habit. To reward myself, I bought a provari and the original Kayfun. That combo got me through the surgery recovery and to this day, I still use that same kayfun when I’m under the weather.

When I started. I had no clue what to expect, I hadn’t done any research, nor do I know the forumverse was a thing.

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My ex sister in law and her husband opened a shop. I thought they were douchebags with their mods and shit. Lol, Had me try an ego style and I coughed my brains out. That was a done deal. Hell no. A year or so later I figured I'd give it another shot and got setup with a vision spinner 2 and I can't remember the tank. It broke down the same day so the chick gave me an istick50 as a loaner until they could get me a replacement. She never called me back. So I got an Atlantis v2 and some 6mg fuzion vapor juice. Went from there. Unfortunately was a dual user for almost 2 years. Finally quit smoking on my 35th birthday. So just over 3 years cigarette free. Loving every minute of it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hanson

Member For 4 Years
8a6a3ca6d5f9d11ee5019d8869ecea8a.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I had a little will power with about 7 cigalikes charging at once got me to quit.then was in heaven with ego c.the new vapors now a days will never know how good they have it.:blah:

You know that’s right!
I’m just glad I started at the tail end of the blue foam era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2 packs a day smoker 35 years and happy. then one day in the car I was thinking about my estimated life span,, and I was trying to calculate the impact of my smoking. (i had no health problems and was physically active)......

I knew about vape gear a bit,, always thought 'dripping' was too slow/odd. anyway,, that day I decided to run by a vape store on a whim,, so that I could say I at least looked into the whole thing. they sold me some aspire stick thing,, it lasted 1 day (i actually never had a cig again since walking into that store).....

anyway,, next day i went to another vape store looking for something with more horse power,, that's how i found 18650 type mods,, a kangertech Nebox thing,, great concept,, (sort of the orignal pico,, but they didn't want to put out a leak proof item) later i bought a few more kangertech products,, but they didn't have lifespans,, so I switched to Pico's,,, which overall have been great for me. I chain vape 30mls a day,, so the mods do get a work out

so,, basically 1 afternoon without warning,, i tried vaping on a whim,, and it stuck,, course i had some hard moments,, my solution was to vape more and more,, ,,,, 'stick with it'........it worked.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Tried one of those Njoy cigs years ago, remember those? 200 puffs my ass lol. Yeah they ran out fast but I noticed I didn’t need a cig, later I picked up a volcano inferno with ego type batteries, worked great but eventually ran out of coils and batteries started not holding a charge and gave up. Then the dna 40 came out and I was like damn! lol Same as before ran out of juice (which was 30$/30ml back then) coils, etc and started smoking again after around 6 months. Around a year and a half ago discovered diy and building, no looking back now.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Circa 2011 I remembered hearing some news things on the radio about ecigarettes - but didn't pay it a lot of attention.

As an older person, I remember the fake cigarettes and smokes made out of leafs instead of tobacco in the 70s - frankly, I had already resigned myself to dying a smoker.

A few months later, I see a display at the store for 'E-cigattes! get yours here!" It was a box about the size of two cartons of cigarettes, with cigalikes that came in a pack that looked like Carltons or something else god awful. I came to the conclusion it was like a candy cigarette with an app or something weird like that. The humongous price tag was also a turn off.

Then a few months later, I was smoking while walking down the street, and a friend overtook me on his bike, and whipped out giant cigalike, vaped it and handed me a business card. He could not stop gushing about "ecigs" and how he'd managed to quit smoking. It was my first look at one up close or to talk to anyone that actually used one.

I did a yeah, yeah, yeah and forgot about it for several months. Many smoking-related health problems later, and needing extra cash while realizing I was spending over $400 a month on smoking, I ran across the card. It was for an outfit called "Smokeless Image." I went to their site, ordered up their starter kit for cigalikes - it was reasonable enough.

I remember one day sitting in a parking lot, waiting for my husband, sucking on one of those smokeless image cigalikes. Someone came up to me and asked if I was vaping. I said no, I'm smoking an ecigarette :giggle::giggle::giggle:

jazzman

"I'm Old, Fat and Ugly with a crappy attitude!
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine is short and sweet, My wife wouldn't kiss me anymore and told me that If I want to kiss her again, I would stop smoking. She doesn't mind vaping as long as the cloud's stay outside.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It was our first day back to work after the summer and my best smoking buddy had a mod he had bought in Japan. Now keep in mind I live in the ME and I don't pay attention to the US at all other than the NFL. I had heard the word "vape" but never gave it a thought. I asked him to tell me about it and I was intrigued. That day I began researching vaping and the more I read, the more interested I became. After a couple of days I talked with my wife who was at home in Atlanta. I asked if she could get me some gear and juice. I sent her a list of what I wanted and she went to a local shop. They sold her a couple of Halo vape pens with extra tanks and lots of coils. She also bought 15 bottles of Halo juice, 3 types of tobacco, varying from 12-18mg. Now I understand and appreciate that whoever waited on her that day knew what he was doing as he was told I was a smoker who wanted to quit and he didn't take advantage of my wife's ignorance.

A couple of weeks later she came back and three days after that I started vaping and stopped smoking that day.

Since then, I've only met one person who, like me, expressed curiosity without judgement when seeing a vape. He's a Syrian in admin at my school and he was so genuinely curious that I got him set up and vaping within a week. Both he and his wife quit smoking within a month and are happy vapers. I go see him occasionally just to talk vape shop. Everyone else I've met has preconceived notions of what vaping is, and I must say, the worst have been the smokers. I never cease to be amazed at how tightly people cling to their ignorance.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Since then, I've only met one person who, like me, expressed curiosity without judgement when seeing a vape. He's a Syrian in admin at my school and he was so genuinely curious that I got him set up and vaping within a week. Both he and his wife quit smoking within a month and are happy vapers. I go see him occasionally just to talk vape shop. Everyone else I've met has preconceived notions of what vaping is, and I must say, the worst have been the smokers. I never cease to be amazed at how tightly people cling to their ignorance.

Great quote in Richard Bach's "Illusions" -- "Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them." I think that must go double for smokers. :giggle:

Andria

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Me either, but where's your story?

Mines pretty romantic really. I quit smoking for sometime and went to Europe where pretty much everyone smokes, by the time I got back I was two packs a day again. At the time I was racing bicycles and was having a hard time huffing and puffing. Found ecigs and the rest is history.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tried one of those Njoy cigs years ago, remember those? 200 puffs my ass lol. Yeah they ran out fast [...]

That was it! The cigalike I saw in that super bowl commercial (I think it was a SB) was an Njoy. This was 2013. Ran to 711 and picked up a 'pack' of I think...3? Yeah, got about 25 good puffs out of each. That led me to Blu's and rechargers and all kinds of gear wasted on cigalikes for the next few months.

Went from that to a Vamo and began DIY juice... then on to box mods and tanks, TC, building my own coils, wicking... Have to give a shout out here to people like Grimm Green who helped educate many of us on gear, mods, etc. and Rip (and others) who showed how to build coils and explained about ohms, etc. I learned a lot on ECF like everyone else, but learned more on YouTube.

What started out as a replacement for an occasional smoke became a full time hobby. :)

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Mines pretty romantic really. I quit smoking for sometime and went to Europe where pretty much everyone smokes, by the time I got back I was two packs a day again. At the time I was racing bicycles and was having a hard time huffing and puffing. Found ecigs and the rest is history.

But *how* did you find them? Pray tell. :)

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
But *how* did you find them? Pray tell. :)

I needed a nic fix in a bad way. Had seen a vape shop and picked up a cigalike device, then bought several more from online and started the annoying journey of nearly poisoning myself repeatedly by refilling disposable cartridges and carrying around those battery chargers for the stick devices that looked like a pack of cigarettes. Then graduated to ego devices and other tanks and here we are.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I needed a nic fix in a bad way. Had seen a vape shop and picked up a cigalike device, then bought several more from online and started the annoying journey of nearly poisoning myself repeatedly by refilling disposable cartridges and carrying around those battery chargers for the stick devices that looked like a pack of cigarettes. Then graduated to ego devices and other tanks and here we are.

LOL! I tried filling those disposable cartridges too... and the recharger thing you could charge itself (it had a battery) then it would re-charge cigalikes on the go. Also 'pass throughs' ... being connected to your laptop to vape... then getting a little adapter so I could plug the passthru into an AC outlet instead of a USB port... thank god THOSE days are over! And thank god that phase doesn't last long before you look for something better!

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
LOL! I tried filling those disposable cartridges too... and the recharger thing you could charge itself (it had a battery) then it would re-charge cigalikes on the go. Also 'pass throughs' ... being connected to your laptop to vape... then getting a little adapter so I could plug the passthru into an AC outlet instead of a USB port... thank god THOSE days are over! And thank god they don't last long!

I do not miss the days of pretty much drinking 24mg e liquid that tasted a bit like boiled socks and wet leather out of the ass end of those cartridges. When they failed, they failed hard. There was a particularly fine line between full and collapsing the cotton in it. I still have a box full of Vea cartridges somewhere.

Grabbed my first mech in like 2013 or thereabouts. What a danger that was. Using Ultrafire batteries and recycled laptop batteries with a Panzer Blackhawk and svoe mesto tank. I still have an use that Blackhawk. Also ended up with a handful of shitty nemesis clones and cycled between mech and MVP 20's until some of the better 40-50 watt kanger devices surfaced.

I had picked up a large pack of those ultrafires from somewhere (probably ebay) and they kept popping. I cut one open and they were AAA rechargeable batteries in an 18650 shell stuffed with shredded cardboard to keep it from moving.

It took a good couple of years until batteries became important and information started becoming reliable in regards to what to use.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
[...] Grabbed my first mech in like 2013 or thereabouts. What a danger that was. Using Ultrafire batteries and recycled laptop batteries with a Panzer Blackhawk and svoe mesto tank. [...]

Also got a mech along with said Vamo from Fast Tech in mid-2013. Only used the mech a couple times. (And only got it b/c of everyone raving what a superior vape they delivered.) Danger of blowing my face off kept that in a drawer. And frankly, I didn't like it better than the Vamo.

I had picked up a large pack of those ultrafires from somewhere (probably ebay) and they kept popping. I cut one open and they were AAA rechargeable batteries in an 18650 shell stuffed with shredded cardboard to keep it from moving.

WOW! But can't say I'm surprised.

It took a good couple of years until batteries became important and information started becoming reliable in regards to what to use.

Right. When I switched to a box mod and 18650s I read everything there was on batteries (early 2015 maybe?) That alone took a week. Learning how to spot fakes, look at pics of legit ones then compare... getting a good charger... it IS a ramp up.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I do not miss the days of pretty much drinking 24mg e liquid that tasted a bit like boiled socks and wet leather out of the ass end of those cartridges. When they failed, they failed hard. There was a particularly fine line between full and collapsing the cotton in it. I still have a box full of Vea cartridges somewhere.

Grabbed my first mech in like 2013 or thereabouts. What a danger that was. Using Ultrafire batteries and recycled laptop batteries with a Panzer Blackhawk and svoe mesto tank. I still have an use that Blackhawk. Also ended up with a handful of shitty nemesis clones and cycled between mech and MVP 20's until some of the better 40-50 watt kanger devices surfaced.

Damn, lol. I remember having some 18350’s from eBay back in the day called “Demon fire”, thank god for forums and Mooch.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
That was it! The cigalike I saw in that super bowl commercial (I think it was a SB) was an Njoy. This was 2013. Ran to 711 and picked up a 'pack' of I think...3? Yeah, got about 25 good puffs out of each. That led me to Blu's and rechargers and all kinds of gear wasted on cigalikes for the next few months.

Went from that to a Vamo and began DIY juice... then on to box mods and tanks, TC, building my own coils, wicking... Have to give a shout out here to people like Grimm Green who helped educate many of us on gear, mods, etc. and Rip (and others) who showed how to build coils and explained about ohms, etc. I learned a lot on ECF like everyone else, but learned more on YouTube.

What started out as a replacement for an occasional smoke became a full time hobby. :)
Yup, the 3 pack lol. Wish I would have went straight to diy and mechs back then, I love older gear and I’d probably have some more cool shit from back then now.

A person definitely has to be passionate about vaping and quitting smoking to start out totally ignorant and start the journey of learning everything you can. It’s a hobby but it’s a bit more than that.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Yup, the 3 pack lol. Wish I would have went straight to diy and mechs back then, I love older gear and I’d probably have some more cool shit from back then now.

A person definitely has to be passionate about vaping and quitting smoking to start out totally ignorant and start the journey of learning everything you can. It’s a hobby but it’s a bit more than that.

There was a strong love/hate thing going on with mechs back then. Leaky ass tanks, crap batteries, flashlight tubes and weird adapters and so on. Now with all the information sharing a person could become reasonably knowledgeable fairly quickly if they just wanted to. Its pretty awesome.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Smoked for 23 years. Never seemed to affect me. I was an athlete, Marine, Soldier, Fighter, etc... So, I got back from Afghanistan in 2011. Failed my first physical fitness test in 17 years. Couldn't breathe. Started going to doctors. Was told smoking doesn't hit you all at once like that, but it wasn't helping. Tried and tried to quit. Failed and failed again. Breathing got worse. More doctors and lung tests. Retired from the Army medically December 2012 after 19+ years. 2014; MRI revealed "spots" on my lungs from burn pits/pollution in Afghanistan. Scarring found from smoking. Doctors diagnosed me with Stage 4 Asthma with Constrictive Bronchiolitis. Doctor said I HAD to stop smoking. I told him I'd tried everything; pills, patches, gum, blah blah blah. He asked if I'd tried Electronic Cigarettes. I said no. He said they have to be better than smoking. Threw my cigarettes in the trash and went to the vape shop. Bought an EGO pen. Eleaf M16 tank on a Tesla Spider II EGO battery. There, my adventure officially began. I toyed with Cigalikes before that, but didn't consider myself a vaper then. I used them to "smoke" in stores and whatnot. How dumb... And my adventure continues...

EDIT: With the help of medication and Vaping, my breathing has improved dramatically in 4 years!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
9c512aff08d69b636debd76ea682595b.jpg

Last edited:

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
[...] Now with all the information sharing a person could become reasonably knowledgeable fairly quickly if they just wanted to. Its pretty awesome.

Agreed, with the caveat that the Internet never deletes info... so you go looking from scratch knowing nothing, and if you happen upon old info you get a boatload of erroneous/outdated stuff that you don't realize is erroneous and outdated until you come upon conflicting info... then you have to sort it out, looking at dates, source, etc. We've all been though that, if not with vaping, then some other subject.

Though I'm the kind that has to research everything myself. It's nice to hear so many here just walked into a vape shop and got excellent help.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
[...] Doctors diagnosed me with Stage 4 Asthma with Constrictive Bronchiolitis. Doctor said I HAD to stop smoking. I told him I'd tried everything; pills, patches, gum, blah blah blah. He asked if I'd tried Electronic Cigarettes.

That doctor's a keeper.

EDIT: With the help of medication and Vaping, my breathing has improved dramatically in 4 years!

Great to hear! Congrats!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sounds kinda like my own doc -- he says "ANYTHING is better than smoking, so keep vaping!" I had adult-onset asthma already, since I was 24 yrs old, so my lungs' recuperation has been slow as hell... but it's getting there. :) I also had to start using Advair, which I never needed when I smoked... probably because cigarettes have both topical anesthetics (so you don't notice how bad your lungs are!) and even contain bronchodilators. But I figure I'm better off huffing Advair than keeping on smoking. :)

Andria

Grandpa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started smoking in 1968 when I was 14. Actually, before that; I grew up with a dad who was a 3 pack a day man. I was a fiend for nicotine from the start. I've lost track of the number of attempts at quitting I endured and I've tried everything at one time or another. About 3 1/2 years ago I needed to get my ankle fused with a week in the hospital. I finally got the cowboy killers put down with the aid of Chantix. I got off the Chantix after a few months, but as all nicotine fiends know, it wasn't a satisfying experience. I had a couple of life threatening medical crises between 3 and 3 1/2 years ago, including a serious scare about my heart. Unbelievably, I started sneaking a few hand rolled cigs. I knew what I was headed for and I got desperate. My first wife and I were heading out for a weekend trip and on a whim I stopped at a local vape shop. I knew nothing about vaping but I left that store with an Aspire starter kit and a bottle of juice. It wasn't much but it really took the edge off.

I started investigating vaping online. I learned about stuff I thought I would like to try and I bought a Kangertech 160 mod and a Uwell Crown II. From there I progressed rapidly in knowledge and know-how. I bought lab equipment and Supercritical nic and started making my own juice. My first wife complained about the expense, but she also realized I wasn't spending as much as if I was buying a carton of American Spirits every week. Also, a lot of that expense is a one time deal (hopefully). I got borosilicate labware, a digital scale that measures in hundredths of a gram, a retort and a pile of glass bottles. I bought the tools I needed. I bought 1' rods of various diameters of ultem, teflon, and peek to make my own drip tips on my wood lathe. I bought consumables like Japanese cotton, wire, vg, pg, Supercritical nic and spools of clapton wire of varius compositions and weights. I purchased ss grub screws and allen wrenches in quantity. I am pretty much self sufficient now. I haven't visited the vape shop for a year; I have Google-fu.

I now have 8 or 9 mods (all vv/vw) and so far about 18 tanks. I like dual coil rigs, preferably with postless decks. I have a LOT of Steamcrave rdta's. I have 7 of them with 5 more on the way. I like their versatility and the different build decks and tank sizes you can make with them. The only Steamcrave tanks I have been dissapointed with is the new Glaz RTA's that just came out - I have 2 of them and I don't like anything about them except the build decks. Oh well, can't win them all.

It didn't take me long to figure out what I was comfortable with and I catch on pretty fast. I don't want to mess with mech mods so I have left them alone. Same with drippers and squonking. I have a few tanks with pre-made coils and I wasn't real happy with them so I also tried my hand making my own clapton wire. It turned out I wasn't very handy at it so I buy my clapton wire from Lightning Vapes. I make my own coils with it and I am a fair hand at wicking my stuff. I have about 60 different flavorings on hand but I find I prefer no flavoring at all, so that's how I make my juice.

A year ago I found an unopened pack of American Spirits in one of my fishing tackle boxes and I tried one. Long story short, I still posses a half pack of cigs. I try one out every now and then and I seldom take more than a puff or 2 before I put it out. My 2 brothers visited 1 time and they smoked 4 of them, I get way more satisfaction out of my vape gear and none of the downsides of smoking. I swim at the Y 3 times a week and I swim 24 laps at 100 meters a lap. About 2/3 of a mile. I could never do that if I smoked.

I just bought a Berskr starter kit a few weeks ago and got some salt nic. I mixed it @ 50 mg strength and so far I like it so I know I am going to start collecting some quality mtl gear. That's how I started with that Aspire kit but now I know a little bit more of what I'm looking for.

It is literally a life and death issue for me whether or not I smoke cigarettes. I have used up all my free passes. I can't smoke; it will kill me for sure in a very short time if I do. But I still have that nicotine pull.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
FANTASTIC story, Grandpa! And kudos for the quick ramp-up you engaged in, and how far you've come! You are an inspiration to smokers everywhere... you should give a Ted Talk. :D

Grandpa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know about a Ted Talk... I vape because I've been addicted to nicotine for 50 years. Another thing is I like fiddling with vape gear. I kind of like the messing around with it. I have plenty of time to indulge in it because I'm retired. It's a satisfying hobby for me and it's not the only one I have.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
[...] Another thing is I like fiddling with vape gear. I kind of like the messing around with it. I have plenty of time to indulge in it because I'm retired. It's a satisfying hobby for me and it's not the only one I have.

Yes, that's the funny thing... most people start vaping to kick smoking, then end up with a hobby. :D

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey Grandpa.... isn't your Avatar the pic from Jethro Tull's Aqualung? (Great album! Yes folks, that was when music came on vinyl!)

Grandpa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is. It has all the album words munged; just the artwork. One of my all time faves.

Fossal

Member For 4 Years
After my V.A. wellness visit, the doc. told me to quit my 55 year smoking habit or start draging around a O2 tank, that scared the hell out of me. I didn't know what to do (I hadn't heard of an ecig or vaping) I had tryed to quit a dozen times in the last 20 years. My wife and son took me to a vape shop on valintines day 4 years ago. This year the same doc congratulated me on being a non-smoker, the lungs will never heal but I am up to 40% of volume and NO O2 tank. As a bonus the wife gives me a vape allowance of $150 per month for my "toys".

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
After my V.A. wellness visit, the doc. told me to quit my 55 year smoking habit or start draging around a O2 tank [...] My wife and son took me to a vape shop on valintines day 4 years ago. This year the same doc congratulated me on being a non-smoker, the lungs will never heal but I am up to 40% of volume and NO O2 tank. [...]

The body has amazing recuperative abilities. You might find your lungs continue to slowly improve as more years pass... congrats on how far you've come!

VU Sponsors