Become a Patron!

How do I get vape oil out of my Smok R22 vape pen?

I had a spillover and it ran into my charging area. Now all I get are the blinking red lights.
Is there anything I can do to get the oil out? Can't put a q-tip in there to soak it up.
Any suggestions?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
When e-liquid [not oil because oil was used in black market e-liquid a few years ago that caused Evali] or "juice" gets into a built in battery compartment, it's pretty much done for because they're not made to come apart. If one did get it apart, replacing the battery is futile.

When e-liquid [not oil because oil was used in black market e-liquid a few years ago that caused Evali] or "juice" gets into a built in battery compartment, it's pretty much done for because they're not made to come apart. If one did get it apart, replacing the battery is futile.
I guess when I said oil it's not the correct word. Should have said juice so thanks for clarifying. Looks like best bet is to toss. 50 bucks down the drain. My other battery stopped after a month. If this one coming gets messed up I'm done with vaping. Too expensive.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I guess when I said oil it's not the correct word. Should have said juice so thanks for clarifying. Looks like best bet is to toss. 50 bucks down the drain. My other battery stopped after a month. If this one coming gets messed up I'm done with vaping. Too expensive.

Looking at everyone spend what I thought was loads on gear years ago, I felt much the same.

Part of your cost comes to technique, and that based largely on the gear you use. Vape "pens" are barely a step-up over pods, imho. And pods are, well, maybe a half a step over disposables.

If you're having trouble with a lot of leaks, it might also be an issue of o-rings. There could be a problem over tightening stuff. You don't need to vice the tanks of "pen" style mods onto the pen battery.

I could see the 510 pin in the tank flooding juice out if it was clamped too tight to the 510 contact of the battery. Used to happen for me until I learned to just snug stuff.

It is difficult to troubleshoot a cause of leaking without more context. Does not read as though you desire "working" it out.

Cost too much?

In five years, I only spent around $700 on vaping, all in. Compare that to probably roughly $12K per year for smoking. I started with cig-a-like style, switched to pen style, a buddy got me into mechanical box squonkers. Been squonking ever since and spent even less.

I cannot and will not tell you what to do. Can say I think you might consider giving vaping another shot. Yes, there's some curve to it. Look where you are, though? Ah, on a forum full of users like me, @Vape Fan, @Train, @hellcatrydr, @dubya314, @gadget! . I think with a few good folk offering some guidance, you might get past the curve/s.

The return on investment is far better than cigarettes.

Here's a pointer to some mid grade and mid priced box kit, with tanks included. Yes, you'll likely need to drop another ~$10 for a battery or two, maybe that as well for a charger. If you do it well, you might end up paying $50 for a starting kit.

Maybe $10 - $20 (or even less) can get you some good DIY juice from forum members here. Juice isn't too bad retail, though. It can be, but only if you let it. I use a good rule, usually, no more than $0.25 per ml of juice bought retail. To me, anything more than that says someone is money grabbing, possibly gouging. Don't believe that, try looking into DIY once you'll see $0.05 to $0.10 per ml is a nice cost per ml.

Coils, they're a weird story and to me Tanks are just funky. I use RDAS, build my own coils or use pre-machined ones. I don't fool with coil assemblies. No more micro-coils for me. Wire isn't too expensive. ~$5 - $10 a spool of 250 ft depending on what you get, where. And 250 ft can get you a long while in coils.

If you don't ask, there's no help. If you ask but don't give folks context, they cannot help.

For example, say I'm having an issue with my wicks burning. Well, I might say I'm running coils at 0.30 ohms on about 24 watts. I keep using my rda that is super great but no matter how I try wicks just burn up. I'm using a squonk mod.

Someone might ask, "tried squonking some juice?"

Well, duh, that fixed it. Sometimes it is that obvious, too.

There's no shame in not knowing, unless you don't try learning.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
My other battery stopped after a month. If this one coming gets messed up I'm done with vaping. Too expensive.
Did you already buy another?
24 here but after ship probably the better part of 50, like you say.

Even if you did, back ups are necessary imo.
An external battery device would be better.
Something like/similar to this:
Or this perhaps:

Its an investment. I spent the better part of 150 on my first set up. Wanting to eliminate trial/error with other devices if I could, and it worked. That was 7 yrs ago. It was the cost of about 2 cartons of cigs that I would have went through in less than a month. Just have to find what works and go for it.
If you smoke and quit it will pay for itself quick.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VooPoo Argus XT is IPV6 leak proof.
Uforce L tank is top airflow so very hard to make it leak.
It comes as a kit, Argus XT w/ UFocre L,,, not the XT kit w/Maat tank.
Uses a plethora of coils for your wattage pleasure.

About 2 1/2 x as long between charges with 21700 batt vs the R22.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The Voopoo Drag H80 that @Vape Fan mentioned is a nice little device, and it does not leak. I bought one from ecigmafia a couple weeks ago.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Wouldn't it be dangerous to keep it around if there is liquid on the battery?

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had a spillover and it ran into my charging area. Now all I get are the blinking red lights.
Is there anything I can do to get the oil out? Can't put a q-tip in there to soak it up.
Any suggestions?

I favor removing the tank when recharging, always.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wouldn't it be dangerous to keep it around if there is liquid on the battery?

That's a yes & no question. Is the juice in the actual battery, or is it in the mod's housing? If it is just down the 510 connection, you might be able to sop it out as it's not in the actual battery. Most often, juice will sit on the battery's positive end contact. The batteries themselves if proper are sealed units. *ahem* Should be anyway.

That rice idea might work out well. A q-tip down the connector to sop juice out might too.

Still, it is going to come to a choice for the OP. Do they want to stick with it, or cut bait?

Its in the charging port. It's not big enough for a qtip and I've tried laying it on its side. They are equipped with a malfunction safety so it blinks red. I've got to throw away my cord too. It's a mess and I'll probably just end up throwing it all away. Live and learn. All I want to do is slowly quit and it's costing me more money.
Thanks for reply.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
mmmm, might be able to use something, like an empty juice bottle or with a point, and squeeze some isopropyl alcohol or vodka up into the usb port to rinse it. While holding it upside down so as not to flood it in there since just trying to clean the connection pins. That's what I would do unless I know juice went in from the top. I wouldn't force it in the port but just enough for a little rinse. and 2 or 3 times. Same w/cable unless its damaged.
Put tissue or something in there to draw out and soak up what it will. Put the port in front of a fan and let it dry thoroughly, overnight possibly.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's a mess and I'll probably just end up throwing it all away. Live and learn. All I want to do is slowly quit and it's costing me more money.

Well, @Vape Fan has a good few ideas.

I understand though. Vaping is not the only way to quit. It is a way that has worked for a lot of us. Some people can drop habits out of sheer will alone. I've seen that. Others might need some regiment or program. There's also medications, nicotine gums, patches.

I hope you are able to quit, no matter how you get there. Picked back up, rubbing snuff myself. I still vape though to avoid cigarettes. Snuff is harder for a country boy to let go. Had quit for years but had a bout of bronchitis keep me from vaping two weeks, rubbing got me by, then hung on.

Run 'er slow.

mmmm, might be able to use something, like an empty juice bottle or with a point, and squeeze some isopropyl alcohol or vodka up into the usb port to rinse it. While holding it upside down so as not to flood it in there since just trying to clean the connection pins. That's what I would do unless I know juice went in from the top. I wouldn't force it in the port but just enough for a little rinse. and 2 or 3 times. Same w/cable unless its damaged.
Put tissue or something in there to draw out and soak up what it will. Put the port in front of a fan and let it dry thoroughly, overnight possibly.
Good idea.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If that seems to work, I still wouldn't trust the device. Wouldn't charge it unsupervised, and would still get a replacement since it has been compromised.
Even if you did, back ups are necessary imo.

Bump. @sandicmxr, you'll find we are all friends here. Nobody wants anyone draining the bank. Although, we do keep a running pool wager going on who can get someone to spend the most each month. *grin* Sure right, and we also have these alleged free cookies floating around somewhere, too. *wanders along for medicines, cookies, coffee, vape in no particular order*

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
If that seems to work, I still wouldn't trust the device. Wouldn't charge it unsupervised, and would still get a replacement since it has been compromised.

I totally agree with this. One of the worst things I've heard about mod behavior, after having juice leak down into it, is that it can auto-fire. Which means, of course, since this device has a built-in battery, unfortunate things could happen at any time - while you're at work, while you're sleeping, etc. - and who's to know if the protections provided by the board inside the mod would still be working. It could auto-fire to the point that the battery explodes, then things are going to go up in flames.

It isn't worth taking those kinds of chances for 30 or 40 bucks. I'd get that thing out of my house and buy another device or two. As others have said, it's necessary to have at least one backup anyway.

If you buy something else and still have problems with leaking, please come talk to us about it right away. There are enough of us here that someone among the group has had most everything happen that can happen. Chances are we'll be able to help you.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Not for nothing, i once had a stick pen that 8 thought for sure had gone bad because all it would do was blink, turns out i had just put a bad coil in and it was blinking for an atomizer short. it was also a smok.

just something to think about, it had me going for a cpl months before i actually thought to replace a perfectly new coil (it was early on before i knew that was common)

Also qtip out the 510 area real well if u havent

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
it was blinking for an atomizer short.

There was some cheap China made mod named Hero, not an Ageis, but another company. It was an 80 Watt box mod, or ergo hand shaped box. It flashed "atty shrt" as an error message on its screen. For days, I kept trying on different shirts to no avail. *grin*

I swear, yes, I'm Mensa level smart. *smh* Then too, I'm just a rock. You know rocks swim, right?

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I read the entire thread (lots of good advice!)
Just throwing this out there... Innokin Kroma-Z (I love this thing... won it in a contest) Have tried a few other pod/mods but still like this the most (it uses any Innokin Z coil) Comes with two coils: 0.8 (nice MTL) and 0.3 (very nice RDL) Built-in battery (large capacity) Type C USB charging.
Of course, many people will recommend building (I'm into that too) but it's too soon... one step at a time.

VU Sponsors