Become a Patron!

How do you cycle through different juices?

Bitgod

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi, I'm a (soon to be) noob (whenever I get around to ordering stuff). One thing I haven't grasped is what to do in regards to having multiple flavors. RDAs seem simple enough as far as cleaning and replacing things (I'll probably jump into those sooner than you'd advise because messing with them looks like fun and I'm a geek), but I'd also like a glass tank so would go either Nautilus mini or some rebuildable clone, which would be better down the road, but I can see how using a Nautilus would be easier for a noob.

What I don't get is when you're using a clearo, and you're using flavor A. And you're done with that tank load and want to go to flavor B, what's the best process to get rid of the old flavor? Is it just washing out the tank and putting in a new coil? Which seems like it'd get pricey fast and would be a good argument for the rebuildable tank again.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Clearos: to switch flavors in one clearo, I used to clean it before refilling. And then I found it much easier to vape it bone-dry (until I'd get a burnt taste) and then refill with something else. To switch flavors "on the fly", use several clearos.

RDAs: you don't need to clean them. Just drip something else, vape a bit, and Bob's your uncle.

One thing to consider: clearos give a more muted taste than RDAs. If you plan on switching often and you don't mind dripping, I'd skip the clearo phase if I were you: you'll save a lot of money and frustration. From what you write, I have a feeling you'll end up using RDAs in the end anyway :)

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
giraut, said it all. also I use both clearos, tanks and drippers. (I can't see wasting a good piece of equipment, plus each has their advantage) On each you will have to change out your coil sometime, no matter if you build them or buy them. A fact of life.... and yes, clearos mute flavors so if you ave one you love in a cleros then try to drip it, the taste will change and maybe not for the better as it is stronger. Plus I use different nic levels, low (6) for drippers and my normal (12) for clearos and tanks...

Good luck with it.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My problem is the reverse usually: if I have a flavor I like in a clearo, I like it even better in a dripper, and then I never ever want to vape it out of a clearo after that. For the few flavors that do need toning down in a dripper, I always have a bottles of unflavored nic base around. So instead of dripping 10 drops of flavored juice, I drip 3 flavored, 1 unflavored, 3 flavored, 1 unflavored and 2 flavored in sequence. It dilutes the flavored juice somewhat evenly in the chamber. I usually do that to test flavor concentrations after steeping a DIY juice I've overdone though...

Bitgod

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Clearos: to switch flavors in one clearo, I used to clean it before refilling. And then I found it much easier to vape it bone-dry (until I'd get a burnt taste) and then refill with something else. To switch flavors "on the fly", use several clearos.

RDAs: you don't need to clean them. Just drip something else, vape a bit, and Bob's your uncle.

One thing to consider: clearos give a more muted taste than RDAs. If you plan on switching often and you don't mind dripping, I'd skip the clearo phase if I were you: you'll save a lot of money and frustration. From what you write, I have a feeling you'll end up using RDAs in the end anyway :)
Ok, I get what you're saying, I screwed my terminology a lil. When I said clearo, I really meant a tank like a Nautilus or Pro-tank styled device. So sorta the same thing, if I was done with one flavor and wanted to go to another, just wash out the tank and vape the core dry?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's much better once you get into RDAs. I have a mini Nautilus with the new BVC coils - the flavor is very, very good, but it's not so simple to change flavors given that you can't rebuild the coil. I know people have washed them out with some success, but I've yet to try. So far I've just vaped over an old flavor - which is a so-so experience! My advice - buy a cheap rda and learn to rebuild. Once you start it's easy and you'll wonder why you took so long!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Change between two drastically different flavors..

Like a root beer at first and then go to a fruit flavor.

When you think you are getting the then end of the heads life, go with a cinnamon based vape.

You can never switch back from a flavor like that sort!

Bitgod

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's much better once you get into RDAs. I have a mini Nautilus with the new BVC coils - the flavor is very, very good, but it's not so simple to change flavors given that you can't rebuild the coil. I know people have washed them out with some success, but I've yet to try. So far I've just vaped over an old flavor - which is a so-so experience! My advice - buy a cheap rda and learn to rebuild. Once you start it's easy and you'll wonder why you took so long!

Hmm, so would you say (and I won't hold you to this in a court of law) then maybe the way to go for me, someone who thinks they'd be comfortable working on an RDA from the start, to just play with that at first, and once I'm comfortable with playing with that, get a rebuildable tank? That makes some sense, though I'd probably still pick up some cheap tank at least for the "OMG, it's here, let me put it together and try it", rather than build the RDA first. But if I do that, that just makes me thinking about getting something glass that I'd use more than once, rebuildable or not.

Oh, have I mentioned I like to over-think things? :)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use Reos with bottom fed attys 90% of the time. For testing I sometimes use a Stingray/Trident clone setup with dual coils. Quite frankly, I sold my Kayfun once I discovered the Nautilus with tbe BVC coils - those coils are amazing, and much less finickey than the rebuildable tanks in my opinion. But ymmv! So, yes, get an RDA and get a Nautilus with a BVC coils (only the minis come with those coils but you can also use the replacement coils in the big one).

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Hmm, so would you say (and I won't hold you to this in a court of law) then maybe the way to go for me, someone who thinks they'd be comfortable working on an RDA from the start, to just play with that at first, and once I'm comfortable with playing with that, get a rebuildable tank? That makes some sense, though I'd probably still pick up some cheap tank at least for the "OMG, it's here, let me put it together and try it", rather than build the RDA first. But if I do that, that just makes me thinking about getting something glass that I'd use more than once, rebuildable or not.

Oh, have I mentioned I like to over-think things? :)

I do indeed respect your opinion about RDAs.

However, IMHO, if you can build an RDA you can build an RBA.

Sadly, I like to fill up and go and truth be told, I don't have the patience to use a dripper other than just to test E-Liquids.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your all so silly.....

After your SURE your gonna keep vaping,

Buy 3 or 4 drippers and 3 or 4 Nautilus mini's (or Kayfuns or Taifuns)...... problem solved.

(your gonna do it sooner or later anyway) ;)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, I get what you're saying, I screwed my terminology a lil. When I said clearo, I really meant a tank like a Nautilus or Pro-tank styled device. So sorta the same thing, if I was done with one flavor and wanted to go to another, just wash out the tank and vape the core dry?

I did understand what you wanted to say :)

No, I just meant vape it dry (but don't wash it) and then pour something new in it. The "vape it dry" bit is to ensure as little of the old juice remains in it without having to do any extra work. Once you've vaped the hell out of it, there will be a little of the old juice left in the tank, but not enough to alter the flavor of a tankful of the new juice. Strictly speaking, you won't taste *only* the new juice, but practically, you will.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That makes some sense, though I'd probably still pick up some cheap tank at least for the "OMG, it's here, let me put it together and try it", rather than build the RDA first. But if I do that, that just makes me thinking about getting something glass that I'd use more than once, rebuildable or not.

Don't be impressed by drippers. They're the simplest form of rebuildable vaping there is. If you want to get into rebuildable, an RDA is a good learning tool: RBAs are often a little more complicated to get going. Some very simple RDAs taste very good and are very cheap. As a bonus, RDAs deliver the best taste. So you'll know what a vape should taste like, before you start fiddling with RBAs or with clearos - and my opinion is that you won't play with clearos very long if you try a dripper first.

The only cost of a dripper is... you have to drip. You may or may not be put off by the idea of dripping all the time. I used to dismiss the idea completely myself, but now that's all I do, except when I drive. If you give it a shot and you end up not liking dripping on a day-to-day basis, at least the dripper will have provided you with an easy learning path into RBAs and properly tasting vapes for not very much money.

Reading your original comment, I have a feeling you're the sort of guy who would have no problem skipping the endlessly-messing-with-clearos-and-getting-frustrated stage and try a dripper right from the start. I mean, you don't *seem* scared by the thought like most beginners are, and that's a sign :)

Bitgod

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK, thanks for the info gang.

Bitgod

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm kinda getting into this as a sorta of cheaper geek hobby than building computer systems. :) Besides, at this point, it's gotten to where there isn't a huge deal to make a new system every 2 years. WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE NEVER WAS?! :) But to me, always half the fun was researching all the components and figuring out what mobo, what RAM, what video card to get, and then where was the best price and where could I get the most parts from the fewest locations. It's all a big logic game.

I see having a tank as being handy, but also getting a dripper with a big well like a Magma will cut down on the number of times, a little. And I've got pretty much everything I need already, other than wire and the RDA itself, and maybe a choice of wick if I don't want to just do drug store cotton. I already have the tools and multimeter.

Vlad1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
These can be a little tough to learn on but IMO the Fogger v4.1 by Yiloong is a very nice tank system that's very close to a dripper as far as vape experience to me. I have 3 and just switch attys when I'm needing another flavor. Another that I've heard about that's similar is called an Orchid. Kind of the best of both worlds a dripper that has a tank.

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi, I'm a (soon to be) noob (whenever I get around to ordering stuff). One thing I haven't grasped is what to do in regards to having multiple flavors. RDAs seem simple enough as far as cleaning and replacing things (I'll probably jump into those sooner than you'd advise because messing with them looks like fun and I'm a geek), but I'd also like a glass tank so would go either Nautilus mini or some rebuildable clone, which would be better down the road, but I can see how using a Nautilus would be easier for a noob.

What I don't get is when you're using a clearo, and you're using flavor A. And you're done with that tank load and want to go to flavor B, what's the best process to get rid of the old flavor? Is it just washing out the tank and putting in a new coil? Which seems like it'd get pricey fast and would be a good argument for the rebuildable tank again.

You have many options to work with but there are many factors to consider, every vapor is different and has different needs. Some prefer rebuilding while others don't have the time, patience, technical aptitude, knowledge of ohm law etc... You can get the Nautilus it's a decent tank with a lot of hype. I have both the standard and mini and IMO they are NOT the best tanks out there. I have tried cheap clearos that produce better vapor and that's really the bottom line, what works best for you as opposed to what is cool, trendy and stylish. I like Kanger, Smok, Davide and absolutely love the Aspire Vivi Nova-S Glassomizer. I get a better vape on it than my Russian or Kayfun. Some clean their coils various ways but I prefer just simple replacement. They are not expensive if you know where to look. When you get dry hits, airy draw and metallic taste just pop the old coil and put a new one in. Also, think about whether you want dual or single coil. The dual will produce more heat and vapor but will suck your juice faster and drain the battery. I vape with both but prefer single. You'll need to experiment and find what works best for you. It's really all subjective. All the best....

MooseMan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Vodka. The best way to change flavors. Take out your coil, rinse, soak in vodka for an hour or so, and plug it back in. A little vodka won't hurt your vape, just don't ever vape rubbing alcohol.

VU Sponsors