Become a Patron!

How do you like to sample juices?

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wether it be sampling juices at a b&m shop or trying your diy flavors. What works best for you? I tried using a dripper without a wick. It was ok to get an idea what the juice was like, but I couldn't really get a full sense of the flavor.

Is there hardware that is particularly good for sampling other than just a regular rda?

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
For early single diy testers I drip on coil, no wick. After a couple weeks steeped I use wick. Shake and vapes usually just do a finger test to see if I want to let it sit overnight. For recipes that steep I generally test in rtas since that is what I'll use them in.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I sample my flavors using the same setup I will be vaping them with. I never taste them raw only in vapor form.
Yeah I really don't like testing juices raw. I used to but it was terribly unreliable and it seemed like every juice I sampled this way tastes good to some extent, but not accurate to the flavor of the vapor.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've found a single coil rda works well. It may not be exact if planning to vape it in a tank but it's close. Something like a hadaly single coil, for sampling juices it doesn't even need the wick all the way fluffed out and tucked down to the well. Just a bit of wick stuffed through the coil, snipped at either side. Using Japanese cotton pads I can get like 10-12 wicks out of a single pad. Holds a little more juice than just the coil would, easy enough to add a few drops of juice and get another couple hits to taste. Cotton is cheap.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use a rda with a single coil and a very small piece of 4mm ReadyxWick. I can dry fire it clean between flavors, even a peppermint flavor can be burned out very quickly with no aftertaste.
I just heard about this stuff. How does it wick for every day vaping? Particularly in an rta.

MoFasterMo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been using this stuff in different builds for 2 1/2 or 3 years and have liked it a lot.
In a Kafun lite I used 3 pieces of small diameter wick in a single coil to fill the juice well and it worked great. On a Squape R I used a single large diameter wick and it was amazing, that deck was perfect for ReadyxWick.
The trick is to look at your deck and juice well and don't be afraid to get creative, this stuff can work very well.
I just opened a rda that was built 2 1/2 years ago. I put it on a mod and fired it till the coils were glowing red and the wicks look good.
I'm considering running the whole rda under a sink tap to rinse it, then burn it dry and try vaping it.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't bought store juice in years. But I do mix my own, daily. I use a CSMNT clone, a dripper, to test my batches.

Usually the first test I'll give a mix is a sniff-test from the bottle, then I'll put a single, small drop on the back of my hand and kind of smooth it out with a finger. Obviously, I wash my hands after that (sidebar PSA: wash your hands, people). But this gives the juice a bit more surface area for me to smell a bit more. Saturated wicks get fired off into the air, I'll waft it towards me. Then I'll just vape it. But if there's a funk-junk in my bottle, I'll know it before it gets plumed into my lungs. (Though, ironically, more often than not - something will smell wonderful, but taste like ass.)

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I gave away all my RDAs this Spring, so I use my Serpent Mini (single coil rta) without the tank. I don't smell or taste it first, I just cross my fingers and take a big ol puff. I start with low % of flavors, usually, so I ain't scared!

I tested new vapes on a wickless coil in a Kennedy 24 RDA in the past, but I realized it wouldnt be the same in a daily vape setup (wickless, huge coils, flavor is much more intense), and also a bit scared of overfiring and superhot dry vapes, so I quit that. Cotton is cheap, as someone above said.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If I know that I'm going to be trying juice I'll be sure to have my Wasp Nano and cotton. Like someone else pointed out, I just cut short pieces of cotton and stuff the coil, vape, discard the cotton and re-wick.

Only takes a few minutes to whip up a new alien, or if I'm particularly lazy (or busy) a quick and dirty fused clapton works fine.

I'm not so careful while vaping like normal. Meaning I don't constantly re-wick, but for tasting I do. I don't want notes of coffee or menthol when I'm trying to figure out if a juice really tastes like red vines. Occasionally I'll find a juice that is impressive in its accuracy and I can only separate the jewels from the chuff by putting in a little work. :)
ab710b949b2eb2faa1ab59c531bb49ce.jpg
28376b56b6b7dd32759a59f18f900901.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If I know that I'm going to be trying juice I'll be sure to have my Wasp Nano and cotton. Like someone else pointed out, I just cut short pieces of cotton and stuff the coil, vape, discard the cotton and re-wick.

Only takes a few minutes to whip up a new alien, or if I'm particularly lazy (or busy) a quick and dirty fused clapton works fine.

I'm not so careful while vaping like normal. Meaning I don't constantly re-wick, but for tasting I do. I don't want notes of coffee or menthol when I'm trying to figure out if a juice really tastes like red vines. Occasionally I'll find a juice that is impressive in its accuracy and I can only separate the jewels from the chuff by putting in a little work. :)
ab710b949b2eb2faa1ab59c531bb49ce.jpg
28376b56b6b7dd32759a59f18f900901.jpg

I want now!

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Nano? I give it a recommendation as often as possible. For an rda it's worth the laughable price, for squonking it's an absolute steal. If I wasn't squonking so much I'd look at the rdta version which is only a few bucks more and negates the almost nonexistent juice well.

I have a black one (rda) coming right now on the slow boat. I'll probably buy a couple of the colorful rdta's before it's all over. :)

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The Nano? I give it a recommendation as often as possible. For an rda it's worth the laughable price, for squonking it's an absolute steal. If I wasn't squonking so much I'd look at the rdta version which is only a few bucks more and negates the almost nonexistent juice well.

I have a black one (rda) coming right now on the slow boat. I'll probably buy a couple of the colorful rdta's before it's all over. :)

I never looked close enough to the deck to see how many wraps can fit in there. What ID?

VU Sponsors