How Does The Flavoring Fit?

Discussion in '"How To" - DIY Tutorials' started by chuck333, Apr 11, 2017.

  1. chuck333

    chuck333 Bronze Contributor ECF Refugee

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2016
    Messages:
    495
    A lot of flavours don't say if they're PG or VG or what they are. If I'm making 80/20 juice do I just calculate the ratio neglecting the flavor.
    Say I use 20% flavor, unless the flavor is 100% PG based I would never get an actual 80/20 juice. If it was water, say, I would have 20% water and if the remainder was 80/20 I would get 80% of 80% + 20% of 80% or 20/64/16 water/VG/PG.
    I'm confused.
     
  2. AndriaD

    AndriaD Shine on, you crazy... VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

    Blog Posts:
    2
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2014
    Messages:
    12,225
    *Most* flavors are in PG, unless they're specifically described as being in some other media -- usually VG. If they're in anything else, they're not suitable for vaping. It's safe to figure your flavors as 100% PG; if they were VG, it would say so, and they'd also usually be more costly.

    Andria
     
    Angrygod50 likes this.
  3. chuck333

    chuck333 Bronze Contributor ECF Refugee

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2016
    Messages:
    495
    Thanks Andria.
     
    AndriaD likes this.
  4. VaporCat

    VaporCat Member For 2 Years

    Blog Posts:
    0
    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2014
    Messages:
    118
    Pure grain alcohol and triacetin are also acceptable carriers for vape-friendly flavorings. An easy way to test what sort of carrier a flavoring uses is to weigh some of it. Weigh 10ml of flavoring and divide the result by 10. If you get a number less than 1 gram, its likely PGA/triacetin. Around 1.0-1.1 grams is PG, and anything around 1.2 grams or above is VG. Some flavorings can use a combination of carriers.

    If you use a recipe calculator, the volume (or specific gravity if you mix by weight) of the flavoring and its PG/VG ratio is taken into account in order to bring the final PG/VG percentage as close to the desired ratio as possible.
     

Share This Page

Close This Message