Become a Patron!

How I kept track of what's in bottle during 1st fast steep.

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
I recently discovered FA flavors and a bunch of recipes thanks to this forum. So I ordered a bunch of samples. While waiting for arrival I decided since I was going to be making a lot of bottles I would try the crock pot method of fast steeping. Then started worrying about how I was going to keep the labels on the bottles. They constantly slide off when immersed in a cup of hot water. While walking thru Michael's I came across a package of Rainbow Loom bands for $3 and remembered that carto users used to put colored rubber bands on to identify what flavor was in them So decided to give a try. (FYI I have since seen them in Walmart Craft section for same price).

They come mixed in a package with approximately 600 bands. (Separating is optional My OCD said I had to yours might not).

QOKltnP.jpg

While Mixing the recipe I would write down the name and the color or combo of bands that I slipped on the bottle. (Did not fast steep single fruit flavors)

1eOnhIV.jpg

Placed bottle in crock pot for 4 hours on low temp. Removed and dried. (Love the color change everything else the same).

crsY6rr.jpg

Wrote out the labels and attached according to color code. You can now remove band or I decided to leave on to see how long they last.

4WEhGl2.jpg

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
thats a pretty awesome idea

GlycerinHack

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My labels slip to. great idea on rubber bands. I'm still using plastic bottles will buy more glass promise.What are the corks for?

LimeB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice thinking. And good for the cartos too. Thanks.
I find these all over the place, not just at home ( but heaps at home, esp when cleaning. I bet the washing machine innards a re full of them).. Really big with the kids here at the moment.

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good idea!

I've been using those 5 packs of colored electrical tape (harbor freight cheap stuff). When a bottle is completely clean and dry, and one doesn't touch the tape's finishing edge with fingers (scissors are key) the tape stays put, so I can "describe" it with with following color code before a hot bath or mixing.

Red - Dark/Bold: Tobaccos, booze, chocolate, coffee
Yellow - Fruits and light/sweet drinks
Blue - Bakery based
Green - Mutt / Undefined
White - Cream / Misc. test mix

A second layer of different colored tape looks cool on clear glass or on anything when offset for a 2-tone look. Neatness counts! If my tape job didn't suck I save it for future mixes with a similar color code.

I usually have so few mixes aging that leaving them unmarked, the colored tape is enough for me to remember the flavor but I still have to mark the date and PG/VG %. I leave a little extra tape so I just peel and cut the old date. Permanent marker on e-tape is unaffected by a hot bath if the ink dries/cures for at least a minute as well.

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Perhaps wrap the bottles in suran wrap so the labels dont get wet but still get the heat?

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is the method that I use, too. I have more colors of bands so I can use a different red for strawberry, raspberry, etc. Different greens, etc. I have also started marking some of my flavorings with the bands to make them easier to grab. I really like this system... simple, cheap & works well - now if I could get everything in my life this simply organized. ;-)

dave/jayce

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So smart yet so simple, my daughter is going to not be happy with me now...

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Good idea! Reminds me of the color rings to code electronic resistor's Ohm values.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Perhaps wrap the bottles in suran wrap so the labels dont get wet but still get the heat?
I wrapped mine with clear packing tape but the water still seeped in. Had to redo every one. The rubber band idea is better.

VU Sponsors