Become a Patron!

How long does it take nicotine/eliquid to expire?

cherrycakes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just started dusting off my juice and equipment and I have a large caboodles cosmetics case full of ejuice. I'm wondering, how long does it take to go bad? It's been sitting for about a year in a cool, dark place.
I also have a bottle of nic solution for diy. Should I toss it or is it worth keeping at this point?

Thanks!

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've seen answers given from both ends of the spectrum to this question from long time DIYers. Some argue no longer than a year, where as others have said they're still using nic, vg and DIY juice from a couple of years ago.

The discussion with vg was that after 18 months it should be ditched but then I've read other answers from what appears to be professionally written reviewers stating that so long as it's kept cool and in a dark place, 5yrs is good.

So, there's a choice of two approaches. Ditch it if you feel uncomfortable about it and buy some more. Or vape it and see. I think you'll most likely be tuned to the taste to know whether it's "off".

cherrycakes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I usually vape mostly vg. The stuff that was sitting in a clearo for months.... not so good
but the rest seems ok taste wise.
Thanks!

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're welcome. I've got a lot of tanks around the place with juice in them. I think they're steeping haha. Whenever I have a toot on one it's tastes stronger - like more cigarette-ish, even though my flavours are nowhere near tobacco flavour. They're all quite sweet and fruity. The nicotine must just be taking affect.

I'm using much more vg now too. Im still using a bottle from 15 months ago. It's fine. Doesn't look dodgy. Smells exactly as it always has. And it's vaping and tasting well. Nicotine once opened usually last me a few months, so that's not something of a concern. I have DIY juices which are well over a year old. All I can say is they taste strong.

ajaymes2001

Member For 5 Years
My experience so far is that the only place old juice gets real funky is if it's in a clearo or one my older Kanger minis. That stuff I will pitch. The bottle it came from...for the most part, no. Bulk storage wise, my past method was to buy enough diy supplies to last me about 6 months (250 ml each nic in vg, vg, and pg). So I cannot support or deny anything said about long term nic storage, but I have heard that nic ages better in pg. Again, I won't be able to support that as I use vg as my carrier. Now, 3 years from now, if this thread is still open, I'll give you a progress report...I have 3 liters of 100mg nic coming from 2 different vendors. Should last me, oh......20 years or so.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My experience so far is that the only place old juice gets real funky is if it's in a clearo or one my older Kanger minis. That stuff I will pitch. The bottle it came from...for the most part, no. Bulk storage wise, my past method was to buy enough diy supplies to last me about 6 months (250 ml each nic in vg, vg, and pg). So I cannot support or deny anything said about long term nic storage, but I have heard that nic ages better in pg. Again, I won't be able to support that as I use vg as my carrier. Now, 3 years from now, if this thread is still open, I'll give you a progress report...I have 3 liters of 100mg nic coming from 2 different vendors. Should last me, oh......20 years or so.
see you in 20 years :p

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Two years is what I have always heard if stored properly.

VU Sponsors