Become a Patron!

How long should my mod last?

Al Day Vape

Member For 4 Years
I'm fairly new to sub ohm vaping and haven't used many mods. In fact, only two. I got an evic VT about 5 months ago and it's already crapped out. I'm bummed because the warranty was only 90 days, but that seems to be the norm for the mods I've looked at. I just got the iStick TC60W last week and love it so far. How long should I expect it to last? I know it probably depends on vaping habits, etc. I'm going through about 3 tanks a day, more on weekends. I take very good care of my gear. I've seen some bad reviews around the web on the evic, but also some great ones. Maybe I just got a dud? I just don't want to have to be buying a new device every few months. What's a reasonable expectation as far as durability for these things? Thanks!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I'm fairly new to sub ohm vaping and haven't used many mods. In fact, only two. I got an evic VT about 5 months ago and it's already crapped out. I'm bummed because the warranty was only 90 days, but that seems to be the norm for the mods I've looked at. I just got the iStick TC60W last week and love it so far. How long should I expect it to last? I know it probably depends on vaping habits, etc. I'm going through about 3 tanks a day, more on weekends. I take very good care of my gear. I've seen some bad reviews around the web on the evic, but also some great ones. Maybe I just got a dud? I just don't want to have to be buying a new device every few months. What's a reasonable expectation as far as durability for these things? Thanks!

Some mods will last a very long time, have some for years. Just all the depends on the quality of them. And I am not a fan of the iSticks, they also had issues in the past. Now the sigelei 150 mod has a good reputation, and so far being #1 voted mod of the year.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
IMO, you get what you pay for. I have an Evic VCT Mini, and to be honest, I don't expect it to "live" longer than my Sigelei mods. As fast as new mods are dropped into the market with newer, better technologies, it might not be too bad, that a cheaper mod doesn't last as long. You can buy another cheaper upgraded mod.
However, forking out ~$150 for a mod, I'm expecting it to last way longer, but I'm also expecting unheard of features, before doing so.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
well a mod with a built in battery will only last so many recharges =d burn through those types in 3-4 months before they would barely hold any charge.
this is why i switched to mods that take 18650 batteries.
SO far I havent burned out a battery
and have 3 mods
1 of which are over 4 months old , another is 4 months old and was a few months used when I got it and both work like brand new mods. these types of mods seem to last a long time. How long? noone really knows yet. but many have had the same mod working for over a year or more. But all electronics will eventually fail. But usually batteries die first. So i suspect in 2 -4 months the first few pairs of batteries I bought will stop holding their full charge and Ill need to spend about $10 a pair to replace them and I feel confident that the mods will still be working. This is why so many people stop using mods with built in batteries like the ones you mentioned

Last edited:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
yeah the prices are dropping like crazy
when the ipv d2 was released i paid 84 for it an dit was nothing fancy
now they are selling for about $40
plus the new d5 is on pre order for around $70 and its a much better mod then the d2 is. SO the prices keep dropping and dropping. I suspect by april Ill be able to pick up a new mod for my bday for about 40 that is equivalent in features and quality to a d5 - hell i got a koopor plus 200w TC for only $35 shipped on BF

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
plus the new d5 is on pre order for around $70 and its a much better mod then the d2 is. SO the prices keep dropping and dropping. I suspect by april Ill be able to pick up a new mod for my bday for about 40 that is equivalent in features and quality to a d5 - hell i got a koopor plus 200w TC for only $35 shipped on BF
:) They're just trying to sell as many mods as possible, before the FDA regulations kick in. :)

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Wait, D5? $70? And I thought it's called IPV5 on pre order around $100. Please tell me where I can get one at $70.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And to answer the topic, some of my mods last a couple of year already, with built in batteries. My first mod I bought about 4 years ago when I started vaping is still in working condition which I occasionally use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

The I stick 60 will hold up a long time it has a heat sink as big as the board and this is important. It is also built very well. Has a great feel in the hand probably the best I have had yet.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
well a mod with a built in battery will only last so many recharges =d burn through those types in 3-4 months before they would barely hold any charge.
this is why i switched to mods that take 18650 batteries.
SO far I havent burned out a battery
and have 3 mods
1 of which are over 4 months old , another is 4 months old and was a few months used when I got it and both work like brand new mods. these types of mods seem to last a long time. How long? noone really knows yet. but many have had the same mod working for over a year or more. But all electronics will eventually fail. But usually batteries die first. So i suspect in 2 -4 months the first few pairs of batteries I bought will stop holding their full charge and Ill need to spend about $10 a pair to replace them and I feel confident that the mods will still be working. This is why so many people stop using mods with built in batteries like the ones you mentioned
The I stick 60 tc has replaceable batterys

Al Day Vape

Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the feedback and the recommendations! I was mulling over getting a Sigelei but they're a little above my budget. Plus they seemed to be out off stock everywhere I usually shop, probably because of the holidays. Maybe I'll pick one up in the spring if the prices come down after I get my tax refund.

VU Sponsors