Become a Patron!

How long to charge battery

Rique98

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Currently have a Nitrecore i2 and 2 x Sony VT 18650 2100mAH 30 amp batteries. How long should I charge them for since I heard you shouldn't top them off.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Every battery is different my 18650's take roughly a half hour but when I charge them using the mod port(while staying inside the mod) they take close to an hour. it also depends if they are drained all the way , or still have a bit of a charge on them. Again every battery is different. Hope that helps:)

Rique98

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Every battery is different my 18650's take roughly a half hour but when I charge them using the mod port(while staying inside the mod) they take close to an hour. it also depends if they are drained all the way , or still have a bit of a charge on them. Again every battery is different. Hope that helps:)
Thanks man :D I charged for half an hour after just getting them fresh outta the box and the charger was gettin hot so I took em out. From here would it be safe to just put both in my sigelei 150w and screw on my Horizon Artic and just let it rip? Just wondering as well, kinda unrelated, how do I know how much watts to run the tank on in comparison to the air holes? Thanks!

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's not gonna hurt to use them if they aren't charged all the way, in fact use them until they are completely drained and they should charge better on the 2nd charge, sometimes new ones come with a bit of a charge or fully charged.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Nitecore should stop when the batteries are full, I believe. I just leave mine in the charger until the light goes out.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The charger and batteries should get warm, but not really hot. When the batteries are charged, like Amanda said, the light goes out. The Nitecore is a decent charger and has protection circuitry to prevent over charging of the batteries.

getek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So lithium ion batteries are charged in two stages.
Stage 1 is constant current, usually between 0.5 and 1 amps.
Stage 2 is constant voltage, held at the cells fully charged voltage, typically 4.2V. This stage lasts until the current into the battery is about 10% of the stage 1 current.
It doesn't make a huge difference in total charge time what current is used in stage 1...higher current makes stage 1 shorter but stage 2 longer.
The better charger ICs on the market disconnect from the battery at the end of stage 2, but do provide a maintenance charge when the cell voltage drops below about 4 volts. This is not harmful to the battery.
The nitecore is a good charger, you can leave your battery on there as long as you want, it won't hurt anything.

VU Sponsors