Become a Patron!

How much $ do you think you've saved?

ShishkaBerry

Member For 4 Years
That was the big deal when I started vaping 3 years ago, you'll save so much money! Nobody really says that anymore I find.

According to my quit now app I've "saved" $3356 since April 23. Now I know I haven't spent $3356 on mods and juice but it's gotta be close.

I had a revelation last week when I was stuck in town because of a storm and ran out of juice. I make my own because I'm cheap and I like weird flavors nobody makes. I plowed down to the local shop to get a bottle to tide me over until I got home. 15ml raspberry, $10. It was gone in 24 hours. Almost the same price and time frame for a pack of smokes.......

Are we really saving money? Yes I know you can get 100ml for 20 from reputable dudes online but shop prices arent dropping, at least not here. I couldn't stomach paying $25 for 30ml anymore once I figured out the ACTUAL cost.... The markup is insane!

Saving your life is more important than saving money, but both would be better!

End random thought transmission.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it depends on a lot of factors. A fuel efficient car 'can' be fuel efficient, though unlikely if you're heavy on the gas pedal, lots of speeding up and slowing down and so on. Depending on how I drive I can either make a car with an estimated 35mpg get anywhere from 40mpg or as low as 22mpg or less.

My mom started vaping at the same time I did, we both gave up cigs. She stuck with mtl and my rta is a dl setup. She vapes a single coil made of single wire, I use a single coil made of a twisted wire. She goes through juice at about half the rate I do or less and I only go through around 5ml a day on average. In your case you went through 15ml in 24 hrs, other people will go through 15ml in 12hrs. Are you running single coil, dual coil, mtl, dl, high airflow, are you a heavy vaper? Too many variables to definitively say, it's on a case by case basis.

Those prices are premium prices similar to halo or v2 juices or craft ejuice like cuttwood. Diy is cheaper and there are online vendors that fall somewhere in between. One of the juices I prefer is from vapewild, it's actually pretty cheap at around $8 for 30ml. Compared to even cheap smokes, I paid around $22-24/carton with tax. That's a best case scenario outside of maybe buying off the reservation which doesn't have tax since my state has the cheapest price on smokes. I was going through 2 packs a day, which worked out to $30 a week. I'm going through $8-9 worth of juice a week by contrast. Had I been smoking premium cigs the savings would have been even greater.

A lot of the cost people seem to incur comes from the hardware. Do people need a $100+ mod or $100+ atty's? No. Do they want them? Sure. It begins to add up as people collect mods, various rta's and rda's. My total setup I use daily in terms of tank/mod is $60 and that was a 'want', not a 'need'. The same could be said for smokers, do they use a simple plastic ashtray? Empty beverage can? Some nice crystal hand crafted centerpiece? What about the lighter, are they using cheapo's, bic's, zippo's? $85+ quantum flameless windproof lighters?

That's my view on it at least and it doesn't make it wrong if people spend more for extras and convenience and whatnot. How much someone does or doesn't save often comes down to their personal use habits and purchase choices. Anything can be cheap or costly depending. For a lot of folks by my observation, smoking was more a necessity/habit. They may have had a preferred brand but that was it. It came in a pack and you smoked it, there was no picking and choosing flavors, messing with diy etc. Most people didn't make a hobby of it, buying various premium tobacco's and rolling their own. A lot of folks who vape it turns into more of a hobby. Trying out new flavors, diy mixing, switching up coil types and fussing with it a lot more, exploring the possibilities. Personally I don't recall smoking being 'exciting' at all, just something I did. It was a rather repetitive boring habit with little thought put into it.

caihlen

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The rate at which I have been acquiring hardware is quite astonishing. Anecdotally I assume I've saved nothing as of yet....

Ian91

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If you make your own coils and DIY your juice, you end up saving a lot of money. I can make 50ml of juice for under $1. I go thru 3 a week so very little ongoing cost. Where I live, a pack of smokes is just over $12 and I smoked 2+ packs a day so cost savings is quite high. You really get ripped off buying pre-made juice. Cost is pretty ridiculous based on what it actually costs to make it.

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to RYO, and it cost me around 1.25 a pack. I DIY my own juice, and it runs me about 1.00 or so a 50 ml. 33 cents a day, vs. 2 bucks a day. $60 a month vs. $10. I upgrade hardware maybe every 18 months so I believe at worst I am saving about $450 a year including rotating in and out of new batteries. I did notice when I was buying premade juice I was actually spending more per month than I was smoking, but I also have to factor in unseen and future cost for my health. I figure the big savings will come in the decades down the line...

drugarth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
None, as a matter of fact after 1.5 years of vaping I guess I'm down about $3000, and I DIY both my liquid and most of my coils......but I only smoked for about $30/week, and have aquired a lot of gear and a big stock of liquid/coils/wires etc.
I should catch up in about 2-3 years LOL (last purchache was 3 months ago, a new record!!.......but last weekend I went and pre-ordered a G class and a Supreme 30mm (ok and a Supreme 25mm and a Supreme Lite).......sigh...back to day one :)

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Buying a bunch of equipment and e-liquid I was running about neck to neck but now that I wind my coils and DIY I figure I'm ahead by about 1200 bucks. I also notice more money in my pocket at the end of the week. Making my own e-liquid is were I save a bunch. I spent about 350 on supplies and have several years worth of nick and 7 gallons of PG/VG and a bunch of flavorings. E-liquid costs me about 2.00 a week. The more you smoked the more you save, I was spending about 25.00 a week on tobacco.

Last edited:

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
How much $ do you think you've saved?

Can't really put a price on my life
Can't argue with that. Before vaping I got about 3 lung infections a year, couldn't walk across the street without breathing hard and the doctor wanted to put me on O2. Now I go to the gym daily, ride my bicycle, and don't get sick. I still have breathing problems but I'm happy and my doctor is happy.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, my banner says I've "saved" $5,270 -- which really just means I haven't spent that much on cigarettes. None of it has actually been "saved".

I suppose I've probably spent $1200-$1500 on vape gear since late Jan 2014, because I'm a very conservative vaper who makes my own coils and ejuice. So, anywhere from about $3770-$4070 has been spent on a lot of other stuff since then -- getting an ADT system in our home; my husband's return to his coin collecting hobby which had fallen away during the economic meltdown circa 2008-2011; eating better; being able to go to the store and get whatever we need without worrying or having to roll coins; we recently traded in our 2009 truck for a 2016 model, which has a higher monthly payment... and a whole lot more ease and lack of stress when it's time to pay bills, which, frankly, is priceless.

I'd wanted to quit smoking for years so I could stop turning $175/mo into ashes, but only vaping made it possible.

Andria

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can't really tell how much I've saved, but what's really important is all the money I didn't and won't spend on health products.

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Not a penny! Don't care. Haven't smoked in over 6 months. Got a collection of mods, attys, wire, cotton, juice, etc...

I'm an OCD Geek, so the hobby part keeps me occupied and we all know "Idle hands are the Devil's playground"

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I may have saved a few bucks but not by much, to be honest the savings were the least of my concern I just wanted to stop smoking. Between running with my dog and not reaching for an inhaler every night I could be well in the hole an give zero fucks at all.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I haven't done the math, but i can safely say i haven't saved a dime. it's costs me much more then before lol.
I used to spend about 1300 a year on chewing tobacco. I've spent over that amount in the past month on vape gear cause sales lol

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
even with shinyitis and hoarding enough stuff to last me for many years I have still save around 50%.
And cigs were relatively cheap here. 4 cartons or so a month were about $150.
I literally do not have to buy anything at all for 2 years though.
Have enough nic for 15 years or more.
Flavorings might have to buy maybe $30 over the next couple of years.
PG/VG. will have to get more in a couple of years.
Wire, wick, etc set for several years.
I have not even tried about 75% of my flavorings yet.

I shop for bargains and such.

happy valley

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I used to RYO, and it cost me around 1.25 a pack. I DIY my own juice, and it runs me about 1.00 or so a 50 ml. 33 cents a day, vs. 2 bucks a day. $60 a month vs. $10. I upgrade hardware maybe every 18 months so I believe at worst I am saving about $450 a year including rotating in and out of new batteries. I did notice when I was buying premade juice I was actually spending more per month than I was smoking, but I also have to factor in unseen and future cost for my health. I figure the big savings will come in the decades down the line...

It's good you have decades, and may you live long and prosper. I'm old as dirt so my reference is shorter, lol
But yeah, I did ryo at about the same cost, $8@wk, 37 bucks a month or so, considering the grand I dropped on vaping it's gonna take a few years I hope I still got, lol.

Last edited:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've saved allot. Haven't done the math. I bought DIY supplies in bulk(4oz flavors) 2 years ago and haven't ordered anything since, except pg. I've bought 3 mods and still use two. I have a handful of tanks and drippers total some I paid $5 for on promotion sales. I only vape 5ml a day.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Haven't saved anything besides my life after smoking 40+ years. Guess I enjoy buying new "vape stuff'.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
um .... -$1000+++ just because I am enjoying vaping and like new toys ... :bliss:

... for now anyways ... it will soon slow down as I'm starting to get a nice little setup and then can just purchase some hardware here and there. :facepalm:

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I was smoking 3 packs in 2 weeks. Now I vape a bottle of juice a week and a coil maybe. So I'm thinking I spend more now. I was healthier too when I smoked but that's just coincidence.

Whitesoxfan2579

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
After just seven months, I'm figuring I'm at about even of what I would have spent on analogs right about now. So, everything for the next five months is in my favor.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
According to an app I've saved over $6500 since giving up the Stinkies, I estimate I've spent about $4k or so on Vape. I'm still saving and discovered a very rewarding and satisfying hobby ;)

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL... haven't saved a dime. :D

Like others, I smoked a buck a day's worth of rollies.
I vape very economically (RTAs and DIY), but that damn G.A.S can be costly.
Shiny-itis for the mods and attys... trying to kick that habit.

But the health benefits... priceless. ;)

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
While I've spent a considerable amount on vape gear and juice ( $500 more or less ), I've definitely saved money. I used to spend $100AUD a week on tobacco and cigarettes. Now I spend $30 - $35 a week on 50-60mL on juice which lasts me a week or more.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A lot....

As a 1-2 PAD smoker plus a cigar and pipe here and there. Cigarette are $5.50 per pack, $7.50 on Jan 1... Last SMOKE Dec 2014. At this point I have a total of $300 spent on vape gear. I use between 6ml and 10ml of juice per day and DIY 90% of my juice, DIY is costing me around $1.50 per 20ml bottle. And could be cheaper if I bought in larger qty's, and did more diy NETs..

Yes It's cheaper.. the fact that it is safer than smoking is just a bonus at this point. I wasn't really trying to quit smoking anyway.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've been stationed in Vietnam for almost 4 years. Stinkies are 1.10usd a pack here. Yet I'm still elated I quit. I'm 'losing ' money by vaping, but won't go back. It's not money for me. And it's not just health. It's everything. Not smelling of cigs, not having my gf tell me to wash my mouth before I kiss her. Not worrying about 10 hour flights (yeah I sneak a couple hits in the toilet). Not having yellow fingers or teeth.
And yeah my health is way better.

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.

vlsvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I used to buy packs wayyy back but then I switched to making my own. I invested in a electric tobacco roller, researched filters etc. I used to blend different types of tobaccos to create something I could enjoy (used to smoke Marlboro 27s) and would sell them to my friends who enjoyed them and didn't want to keep paying the insane NJ prices. Overall I've easily saved thousands over the years though switching to vaping, and I feel 100x better, that helps too :)

ShishkaBerry

Member For 4 Years
I was super busy with work (xmas in a bakery is a nightmare lmao) and completely forgot I made this thread. Sorry for the post and run haha! I enjoyed reading your viewpoints, albeit late ;)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought a pack for my wife last night. A pack of 25 of the mid priced brand in Canada $12.90. That's just under 10 USD.
Not looked today but last week the Gas n Gos had marlboros advertised for about $5 pack of 20. And cheap ones were around $4.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not looked today but last week the Gas n Gos had marlboros advertised for about $5 pack of 20. And cheap ones were around $4.

The "name brand" ones were $5.69/pk here at Walgreen's, when I quit back in July '14. I'm sure they're probably over $6/pk by now. And Walgreens probably thinks they finally killed me. :giggle:

Andria

gtrpickr

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When I started vaping I cut my monthly costs in half. Even now with juice and gadgets I still only spend about half or less than what I would have spent on cigs in a month.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Smokes are almost 15 bucks a 25 pack now here in BC and with 2 of us smoking it was almost 2 packs a day. So in the almost 4 years at 2013 prices for cigs my wife and I have saved over 25 grand and prolly spent 3 grand on vape supplies over those years but now with my Hangsen tobacco concentrates stockpiled along with 3 liters if nic in the freezer and my glycube of base I have shrunk our vaping down to inside of 20 bucks a month and totally self sufficient. There is a 2016 Silverado sittin in our driveway with the beans not spent on ciggys.;)

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The "name brand" ones were $5.69/pk here at Walgreen's, when I quit back in July '14. I'm sure they're probably over $6/pk by now. And Walgreens probably thinks they finally killed me. :giggle:

Andria
Cheaper here in KY.
Was paying 32.50/carton for Pyramid Reds here 2 years ago. Think they are 38.00/carton now.
They are mid grade full strength 100 mm's. I wanted the most death for my buck ;)
Smoked little cigars for a while, were cheaper.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Smokes are almost 15 bucks a 25 pack now here in BC and with 2 of us smoking it was almost 2 packs a day. So in the almost 4 years at 2013 prices for cigs my wife and I have saved over 25 grand and prolly spent 3 grand on vape supplies over those years but now with my Hangsen tobacco concentrates stockpiled along with 3 liters if nic in the freezer and my glycube of base I have shrunk our vaping down to inside of 20 bucks a month and totally self sufficient. There is a 2016 Silverado sittin in our driveway with the beans not spent on ciggys.;)

That's part of the reason we were just able to trade in our 2009 Silverado for a 2016. :D

Andria

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Investment in the future. FDA stockpile, in case the gear becomes much harder to buy in the next year or two. Mostly use prebuilt coils, but learned to build just enough so I can get by if need be. Grabbed a Herakles RTA 2 in an online deal over the a weekend for $10 shipped. Never learned to DIY liquid, however. Really hope that won't become a necessity.

VU Sponsors