Become a Patron!

How much use do you get out of a coil/cleaning coils

Lendo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey all,

I'm using a joyetech eGo AIO D22 XL with stock 0.5 ohm DL coils. It seems like I'm only getting about 12-14 mL out of the coil before the performance drops. It starts to produce maybe a little less vapor and flavor and I can taste cotton at the end of an inhale. It doesn't taste burnt unless I push it further. If I take the coil out, put a drop of juice on the coil and then put it back in, I can get another may 10 inhales off of it. I can do this several times before that trick just doesn't work anymore.

My question is, is this a typical amount of use to get out of a coil? Sorry, that might be a hard question to answer.

Also wondering about cleaning and reusing the coils. I saw some info about cleaning coils, but these seemed to be mostly high end coil. Is it worth cleaning a coil like this to try and reuse? Also I don't know that I can dry burn the coil to dry it with my pen, as was shown in all the videos I watched. Any experience, information, or opinions are appreciated!

Edited to add, using 65/35 vg/pg juice, if that matters.

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The solution is simple.. get a new mod. Well either that or vape slower. You are "chain vaping" faster than your coil can pull juice. A problem with AIO mods, you can't adjust power or airflow to compensate. So since "vaping less" is a sucky solution, get a new mod. I like suggesting kanger toptank or bottombox mini kits. (they are the same, except one you fill at the top, the other you fill at the bottom.) But.. both come with some really nice factory coils.. (0.5 and 0.3 ohm now I think) and those will handle about as much vaping as most people want to do. They also come with an RBA mini.. (an atomizer that you make your own coil for) which allows even more options. If you do go this route, look for a kit that is 70 to 100w. Which is a decent place for a beginner to advance to. Sure, you can go high wattage, if you like, but 70 to 100 will be enough for now.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lot depends on the juice also, more sugary, high VG, some flavorings can all gunk the shit out of coils. Flavors like Cinnamon trash's coils in no time.

As to cleaning Factory coils, it's an exercise in futility. Just get an RTA, watch some Youtubes on building coils and save yourself a ton of money. Building coils is easy, it's not that difficult to wrap a wire around a screwdriver ;)

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The solution is simple.. get a new mod. Well either that or vape slower. You are "chain vaping" faster than your coil can pull juice. A problem with AIO mods, you can't adjust power or airflow to compensate. So since "vaping less" is a sucky solution, get a new mod.

I agree. More control is best. I understand the appeal of AIO but, for my, anything AIO (computers, electronics, etc) has always meant All-in-one pain in the arse! lol

And even better still, get an RTA so you can build your own coils and save money. It's better than cleaning coil heads, which can never be totally cleaned anyhow. You don't even have to make your own coils, you can buy them premade. You just install it and wick with some organic cotton or rayon or whatever you prefer. For a lot of people, building your own coils makes you vape less because you're hands are tied up doing something LOL. No kidding. I know it works for me. The more I build the less I vape. Seems almost kinda pointless now that I thin about it LOL.

Use the AIO when you're out and about and use the RTA and adjustable at home.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
It is kind of curious. Once again, the best answer is not exactly what the OP was looking for. But. it is the best answer. AIO are simple mods. They can only do so much and very limited. Either to non-sugary flavors (light and clear usually in color) or buy coils constantly and enjoy the yummy ones. (like strawberry poptarts, cream puff.. and something I get called Sydney with strawberry, cream, and a highly addictive taste. lol)

Lendo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey guys.
I'm only about 3 months in to vaping from smoking. Honestly, I feel like I just recently got to a point where I'm not flooding coils and coughing when I inhale. I'm really still at a point where everything vape is rather intimidating. I'm pretty sure I'm not ready to start building coils. I do like sweet juices, so I'm sure that's part of the problem.

I figured I would outgrow the AIO eventually, but honestly I'm really pretty happy with it as far as flavor and vapor production, it's just the blowing through coils that annoying. When I start researching and looking for the next step up sort of thing, I start to feel lost all over again.

So, bear with me for some sort of stupid questions.

I looked at the Kangertech, assuming you mean like this one...
https://www.myvaporstore.com/Kangertech-TOPBOX-Mini-Kit-Platinum-p/krsz010.htm

So if I get something like this, do I take the batteries out to charge them and replace them or is the box the actual battery? I told you, stupid questions.

I currently have two of the AIOs and I have one that I keep tobacco flavored juices in and one that I keep more fruity flavored juices in. I tend to use the tobacco in the morning with my coffee and then the other during the day. This is the one that keeps blowing through coils. Can I do the same sort of thing with the Kangertech? Like by an extra atomizer, I guess?

I swear, I feel like I've read everything on the internet and I can't seem to get a grasp of it all.

And no, gbalkam, vaping less is definitely NOT the answer! :)

Thanks for you time guys.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys.
I'm only about 3 months in to vaping from smoking. Honestly, I feel like I just recently got to a point where I'm not flooding coils and coughing when I inhale. I'm really still at a point where everything vape is rather intimidating. I'm pretty sure I'm not ready to start building coils. I do like sweet juices, so I'm sure that's part of the problem.

I figured I would outgrow the AIO eventually, but honestly I'm really pretty happy with it as far as flavor and vapor production, it's just the blowing through coils that annoying. When I start researching and looking for the next step up sort of thing, I start to feel lost all over again.

So if I get something like this, do I take the batteries out to charge them and replace them or is the box the actual battery? I told you, stupid questions.

I currently have two of the AIOs and I have one that I keep tobacco flavored juices in and one that I keep more fruity flavored juices in. I tend to use the tobacco in the morning with my coffee and then the other during the day. This is the one that keeps blowing through coils. Can I do the same sort of thing with the Kangertech? Like by an extra atomizer, I guess?

I swear, I feel like I've read everything on the internet and I can't seem to get a grasp of it all.

Sweet juices is not part of the problem, it's a big part of the problem.

Try juices with less sweetener. Also seriously look into building if you want to Vape Coil gunking juice. How hard can it be to wrap a wire around a screwdriver, seriously.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Lendo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sweet juices is not part of the problem, it's a big part of the problem.

Try juices with less sweetener. Also seriously look into building if you want to Vape Coil gunking juice. How hard can it be to wrap a wire around a screwdriver, seriously.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm sure it's not hard to wrap a wire around a screwdriver, but it also seems from what I've read that it's also not hard to do it wrong. You have to oxide the wire with a torch and test the coil with an ohms reader. I blew shit up on the regular in chem class and I'm not sure that I trust myself to build something, attach it to a battery, and then hold it near my face. I just don't trust myself.

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm sure it's not hard to wrap a wire around a screwdriver, but it also seems from what I've read that it's also not hard to do it wrong. You have to oxide the wire with a torch and test the coil with an ohms reader. I blew shit up on the regular in chem class and I'm not sure that I trust myself to build something, attach it to a battery, and then hold it near my face. I just don't trust myself.
You can look on YouTube to find out the safe way to make sure your doing it right of its something your interested in doing. It's really not that hard. If you have questions I'd gladly answer them for you.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First you're on a regulated Mod, it won't blow up in your face. Second, do you trust yourself walking across the street, doing the laundry, cutting a loaf of bread, etc, etc.? Third, no you don't need to oxidize the wire with a torch, where did you hear that?

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You will be perfectly fine in regards to building, especially if you are using a regulated mod. Even with a mechanical mod there aren't too many things to follow to stay safe.

You could for now even use your regulated mod as the Ohm reader, although I do suggest a dedicated one if you intend to build. You do not need to use a torch, that is an optional step for certain builds and wire types.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hey guys.

No prob.. about our time.. its why we are here.
Now about the kanger...

• Requires (1) High Amp 18650 Battery
  • Micro USB Port
So it takes 1 battery. (I would go with a samsung 25R or LGHG2)
and it has a micro usb port to charge the battery.

However, to be quite honest, you would be better off getting a 2 port nitecore charger and 2 batteries. (avoid the "efest". God only knows what is under that wrapper)

On battery would probably last you most of the day, but.. i wake up at nite and like to vape.. 2 batteries, one in the mod, one in the charger, means you are never vapeless.

That is actually a really decent set up. You get up to 75w, which is enough to let you try a few new things without having to buy a whole new rig.

I have one of those toptank minis, have had it over a year now, and it is still going. Ive dropped that poor thing at least a dozen times. lol. Maybe I was lucky, but they seem pretty tough.

Lendo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No prob.. about our time.. its why we are here.
Now about the kanger...

• Requires (1) High Amp 18650 Battery
  • Micro USB Port
So it takes 1 battery. (I would go with a samsung 25R or LGHG2)
and it has a micro usb port to charge the battery.

However, to be quite honest, you would be better off getting a 2 port nitecore charger and 2 batteries. (avoid the "efest". God only knows what is under that wrapper)

On battery would probably last you most of the day, but.. i wake up at nite and like to vape.. 2 batteries, one in the mod, one in the charger, means you are never vapeless.

That is actually a really decent set up. You get up to 75w, which is enough to let you try a few new things without having to buy a whole new rig.

I have one of those toptank minis, have had it over a year now, and it is still going. Ive dropped that poor thing at least a dozen times. lol. Maybe I was lucky, but they seem pretty tough.
Thanks

VU Sponsors