Become a Patron!

how much water to add to 100% vg so that it's safe for subohm tank

badmamjam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi. Looking to find out how much distilled water to add to VG so that it works well in my subohm tank. Is there a percentage I should aim or?

Thanks in advance

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would recommend starting at 10 percent. If the flow is adequate, you are good to go. If not, bump it up a bit, but 15 percent is about the maximum before it gets too thin, IMO. Good luck!

badmamjam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great. Thanks. So as long as it's flowing and vaping fine, there is no "too thick", as far as messing up my coils or tank?

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only problem with too thick is slow wicking may cause a dry hit, which can ruin a cotton wick . Draw slowly until you are sure the liquid is wicking well.

PickNic Basket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Water is much more effective at thinning VG than PG is.
Are you going flavorless? Is there any PG in your flavorings? How thin/thick are the flavorings?
Start low. Really low.
I have made PG-free liquid using as low as 3% DI water.
You should be able to have it thin enough to wick well at below 10%.

badmamjam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The flavoring is PG, but I'm not sure of the percentage. I could check into it.
Thanks for that range of 3 to 10%. Is that still okay for a tank too?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most flavors are PG-based - count any flavor percentage as PG unless it's confirmed vg - based.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

martin

Member For 4 Years
you may want to try 10% vodka to dilute thats 10% of complete mix i myself burn the alcohol out of the vodka before mixing i find it adds to throat hit maybe my imagination thou anyone else agree/disagree

PickNic Basket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Put simply, vodka is 40% ethanol and 60% water. If you are cooking off the alcohol, you're just adding water (along with trace amounts of starch, etc. but those are negligible). If you are getting an increased throat hit, it's because there is still alcohol present.

The flavoring is PG, but I'm not sure of the percentage. I could check into it.
Thanks for that range of 3 to 10%. Is that still okay for a tank too?

Yes, it should work quite well in a subtank. If too thick for a protank, just thin a little more.

Menthol

Member For 4 Years
I mix between 10-12% distilled water to my vg and never had problems with any atties. You could buy AVG in future which is the same thing.

VU Sponsors