Become a Patron!

How often do you change wicks

Rock Hunter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
as noted in the title, I have had mine going for over 24 hours..same juice. Let 'em sit overnight and it seems that they taste kinda "peppery" today.
Should I change them out daily?

( using Japanese cotton in one and regular organic boiled cotton in the other..)

Rock Hunter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
maybe I should also note the types as well..
One is in a Plume Veil and the other in a brass monkey

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I use RBAs with Rami fiber as a wick.

I dry burn the coils after running a couple of 4ml tanks and replace the wick at the same time.

Works like a charm!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I don't change mine daily, but I'm using boiled cotton yarn. I have some of the Japanese cotton, but to me, the flavor disappeared really quickly, so I've stuck with the yarn. At first, it was super clean, lovely flavor, then >bam< gone.

Do you make your juice? Could it be you're tasting the nic? Some nics are really peppery. I don't mind peppery nic, as long as I can still taste my flavors.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I change when it tastes bad. In my rebuildable tanks they will go one or two weeks, just cotton.

I bought In to the Japanese cotton and cellucotton but I'm back with cvs organic or whatever that green bag is.

I vape around 8 mls a day. But mostly clear fruits and some creams.

Almost sounds like your burning it. Could be high heat or could be the juice gunking and helping to burn the cotton.

Just ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skocha361

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I love the flavor of a clean coil and wick (i use yarn) so I change it every 24 - 48 hrs.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Mine gunk up a bit, but not much at all. I change mine probably twice a week, but I keep several made up for a quick swap.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
russian 91 w/2mm readyxwick...going on 4 mo. (rinse wick/dry burn coil every 5 to 6 wks)
magma/veritas rda clones w/3mm readyxwick...going on 3mo. (rinse wick/dry burn coil every 2 wks or so)
russian is vaped at 14.5 watts/4.1v
drippers fire up at 20 watts/4.8v

Last edited:

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vape fruit flavors, pretty clear looking juice;and I change my wicks every 2 tank fills on the kayfun. I also change out my coils every 3 days or so , so I may be the odd man out on this one. My fogger v2.1 however, which I don't use quite as often, lasts 2 weeks or more on the wick, and over a month on the coil. Weird...... :)

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I often went about a month or even more on RxW, just torch-cleaning it and the coil (often together, sometimes while still connected to the posts of the atty). Now i'm using cellucotton and it seems like i go about a week, maybe more. But it does taste best for that first couple of days. Really this is just because of the juice itself burning on the coil, and the wick just keeps that burnt flavor sticking around. Darker, thicker juices are wonderful, but they do the worst over time on an unchanged/uncleaned coil/wick.

LoveVanilla

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the flavors from a clean wick so try to change as soon as it declines -- usually every day or two. I'm using cellucotton rayon in RDAs so it is quick to change.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been on a dark wick gunker kick for a while now so every two tanks or so.

B-RAD

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I change mine at least once a day if not twice. Opens the flavor back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rock Hunter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks everyone...
maybe I'm juice'n em too much ( drippin)
Was thinking it would be every 24 hours, but by seeing that some of you go a week or more, damn sister...

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
When I get tired of the current juice. I use Japanese cotton at blistering heat, and they just last and last.

iheartmyed9

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I change my wicks, cotton bacon is what I use, anywhere from 2-5 days, unless I burn it on accident then I change them sooner.

Real Extract in Seattle

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since I only vape natural extracted flavors, I have to change wicks and coils more often than most.
On my kayfun, the coil and wick get changed every other day. It isn't possible to go longer as the natural sugars build up on the coil. I do burn it off once between coil changes (ekowool). A little more effort than most are willing to do, but the natural flavors are worth it.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I want to be your wire and wick supplier.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I charge wicks when the flavor degrades (every few days) and coil every 2 weeks.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When I change flavors or every 4-5 tanks. Whichever comes first. I don't drip much so don't need to change out the wicks very often unless switching flavors. Then sometimes I don't even. Just dry burn and drip a new flavor. The old flavor goes away quickly.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It all depends on the juice and how solid my build is. As has been mentioned, some darker juices need frequent replacement. I have a yellow cake juice I love, but it barely makes it through a tank without gunking up the coil, and consequently burning the wick. Not tasty, and inhaling burnt rayon is not good. It sucks, since I love the juice, just don't love re wicking constantly.

On the other hand, I have a bubblegum juice in one of my kayfuns that I haven't re wicked or re coiled in at least two weeks, maybe three, I really don't remember. It's a clear juice, and doesn't gunk up coils, so if my build is good, it just lasts. I have another with butterscotch that's probably a week and a half at least as well. It does need re wicking, though. Really I think the juice you're vaping, assuming your build is solid, is the biggest factor.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I change flavours and builds quite often...so I would say constantly. The Japanese cotton industry relies on me.

VU Sponsors