how often do you rewick/rebuild?

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wondering how often everyone rewicks and rebuild's RDA's. I've been using cotton about 2 days, coils 2-3 weeks. Im guessing at high watt/sub ohm it'll be more often. I use 22g .2 at 75w, using a max vg sweet fruit loops juice or other sweet juice and my coil's get black gunk quick. After 1 day there pretty black, do you change cotton soon as they start getting black? I've been using this .21 22g build over 2 weeks now. Seams like flavor isnt as good even after dry burn & rewick, is that a cause from older coils

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can tell by looks when my coils need dry burned. After a dry burn I can tell if the coils need replaced. My frequency is similar to yours. Dry burn and wicks every 2-3 days and new coils every 2-4 weeks or so.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I rewick 2-3 times a week.
Since starting dripping last December, I have only replaced a coil due to age once, and it after nearly 4 months of daily use.
Besides that one time, all my recoils have been due to wanting to try a different RDA or resistance.

I use 20 gauge kanthal and home made juice where the only PG is from the flavoring I add (so figure 90+ percent VG)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm not using fancy equipment or anything and my experience is very similar. Wicks need replacing at about 2 days if I'm using cotton. If I'm using rayon, I can go days more than that. I only just discovered that, too, so will probably stick with rayon more. Both taste great, rayon holds up better for me.

Coils last quite a while. Like Boomstick, it's just something you can tell when doing maintenance.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Re-wick: 2 or 3 times per week.
Re-coil: Once every few months.

A good coil should last a long time. Gunk buildup will vary depending on your juice...higher VG and fruity vapes usually results in more buildup. A quick dry burn should get rid of it. Adjust/recompress your coil(s) as needed while re-wicking, and they should last a long time. A coil doesn't actually "go bad" until it pops, so unless you're still experimenting with builds, there's no need to keep replacing them.

I've had a 7 wrap .22 ga 3mm single coil in my El Cabron/Sigeili 150w (running @ 35-45w) setup since March.

MrJojo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I agree with most people here about the coil should last you for longer time, but you do need to re wick it. Unless you're still learning about making the coils n resistance than yes you'll be doing it quite offen. So if I was you I would do some research about it and maybe learn thing or two for the matter hoping it helps you in the long run.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
While we're on the subject maybe someone can help clue me in on something. I made a fasttech order that included some 24g kanthal. (Maybe Chinese kanthal isn't as good as USA kanthal so I'm including that info.) After the first several dry burns the coils come out shiny and fairly new looking. Then they start to come out looking like there is some kind of non shiny, rough surface, corrosion'ish looking stuff on them that I can't remove. That's when I start planning a rebuild. Anyone know what's happening?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm still quite new so fairly often, and have been using a 30 watt device. I am ordering something with a lot more power tonight, so I guess I will be back to experimenting and finding what I like with it. I make a new coil about every other day just to get used to making them and a new wick goes in with the coil.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Re-wick: 2 or 3 times per week.
Re-coil: Once every few months.

A good coil should last a long time. Gunk buildup will vary depending on your juice...higher VG and fruity vapes usually results in more buildup. A quick dry burn should get rid of it. Adjust/recompress your coil(s) as needed while re-wicking, and they should last a long time. A coil doesn't actually "go bad" until it pops, so unless you're still experimenting with builds, there's no need to keep replacing them.

I've had a 7 wrap .22 ga 3mm single coil in my El Cabron/Sigeili 150w (running @ 35-45w) setup since March.
That is the RDA I have and I plan on ordering the 150W midnight tonight (Money goes in on Saturdays for some reason). Then the long wait till tuesday. I love the el cabron already though because of how much juice it can hold, and the general design. I ordered a mutation V4 which I have tried 2 builds in to make sure it works, thats a little present for the missus though (Giving her the 30 wattter on her birthday along with a nice watch).

I was going to try 22 gauge, as I have 24 up to 30 10 meters of each, but heard it takes a long time to cool, like you can vape, take a hit, blow out, and its still warm enough to make vapour without a button press? That put me off 22 gauge a bit.

richardward77

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use 22 guage in my lemo 2 and love it 6 wraps 3 mm Id .o5 ohm great vape at 30 watts on Sig 100 plus decent vapour and nice flavour I keep taking a pull for about a second after iv released the button to cool the coil a bit.

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've gotten in the habit of releasing the button about a second before I stop hitting my rig to assist in cooling the coils also. Hearing it continue to sizzle after I take it out of my mouth bothers me.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use 22 guage in my lemo 2 and love it 6 wraps 3 mm Id .o5 ohm great vape at 30 watts on Sig 100 plus decent vapour and nice flavour I keep taking a pull for about a second after iv released the button to cool the coil a bit.

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk
I use 26 in my lemo at the moment, it is my favourite tank I have. I never get a dry hit, and make my own juice arounf 70/30. Yeah I guess the extra pull would help cool it. I just have never been super low, but for these high builds I guess I need to go lower or get dry hits in a second.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cotton, I tend to change daily. Sometimes I skip a day. I always regret it. I tend to vape max VG at around .2, so yeah... ...it's kind of a given.

Coil changes are a toss-up. I usually have one atty set-up with a build that I know I will always enjoy using and will never fail me. I might not do a fresh build on that for a week or two. That's at the longest I'll go though. I don't like when my coils start to really visibly rust. I don't know if it's the tap water or what, but my coils start to rust after two or three cleanings... ...thick wire is especially bad. They will continue to perform for a long time after the rust appears, but it's always been sketchy to me. I'd rather take 10-15 minutes to build a fresh coil than possibly be vaping more metal oxides than I have to be. *shrugs*

I do fresh builds 4-5 times a week on my tertiary attys. I like to play around with different configurations and that aside, what I want in a vape changes daily. Plus, nothing vapes like a fresh build. Kanthal and cotton are cheap enough.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
That is the RDA I have and I plan on ordering...
You won't be disappointed. Easily the best RDA in my arsenal, and I'm going to order another one.

I was going to try 22 gauge, as I have 24 up to 30 10 meters of each, but heard it takes a long time to cool, like you can vape, take a hit, blow out, and its still warm enough to make vapour without a button press? That put me off 22 gauge a bit.
I prefer a single coil over dual. A single 22ga has been the sweet spot for me because it's low resistance, so it heats up quickly while still having enough surface area for decent clouds without sacrificing flavor. Like someone said above, you just kinda get into the habit of releasing the fire button about a second before you stop your draw to prevent additional burnoff.

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Im pretty sure a older coil can affect flavor right, i mean obviously yes when it gets gunked up, but i mean this 2-3 week coil, even after dry burn & re wick, flavor was crappy. Must be from coil. Dry burn all black gunk off & new wick still taste crappy. I notice coils started to corrode getting brown spots. Anyone else notice this

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Im pretty sure a older coil can affect flavor right, i mean obviously yes when it gets gunked up, but i mean this 2-3 week coil, even after dry burn & re wick, flavor was crappy. Must be from coil. Dry burn all black gunk off & new wick still taste crappy. I notice coils started to corrode getting brown spots. Anyone else notice this

I just had this with mine. The coil was probably 3 weeks, on a veritas and it was pretty much the only thing I was using. I would strip it, burn/clean it and rewick it. It would be gunked again in less than 1-2 days. The coil needed to be changed. No issues now.

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
With my Kanthal builds I just dry burn and rewick. I usually only change it if I don't like it. I get weeks out of a build. With nickel, I rebuild a lot more often, because I can't dry burn it. I've tried wiping it off, or using a soft brush, but the nickel just doesn't hold up that well. As far as re-wicking, I change cotton every 3-4 days if I'm using it a lot. Not trying to advertise, but I found a new cotton (pima) that I don't have to rewick nearly as often. I have gone as much as 2 weeks and then sometimes just changed it because I thought I should. The pima seems to hold up to the heat much better and the flavor doesn't diminish nearly as fast. I LOVE temp control, but I do have to rebuild much more often!!!

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Holy crap i dont know how you can go that long without a rewick:eek: i cant go more than 2 days on a wick, coils already black on 2nd day, i think i need to start re wicking every day, flavor gets awful once coil's gunked. ive been using cotton bacon v2. was using koh gen do ive still gots lots of it to. i use .2 22 g max vg 75 watts and i like the sweet flavors. froot loops, muffin man..

Budds

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah...
The eliquid you vape has ALOT to do with it.....

I vape mostly DIY tobacco flavors and rewick about once a week, two weeks if Im lazy.
But if I vape sweets, and especially chocolates, I will have gunked coil in about a day or two.

Might add I vape low power....
Russian 91% RTA, 28g single coil @ 1.2ohm, and usually around 12-15w
Can go months with a coil.... never had one fail, just changed it cuz..... Well, just CUZ !
Dry burn and rewick on Saturdays.... and it never looks like it NEEDED to be done, unless I've vaped chocolates.

Anyways...............

Spent

Member For 4 Years
Rewick about every 5 to 7 days but I spread around 3 attys Kayfun's and lemos . Take apart, clean, dry burn, ( darn, once in a wile a little spark and recoil) rewick. I saw a tip somewhere get the dry coil nice and hot then quickly and carefully put it under a small stream of water, Works great. I also have some small brushes from McMaster Carr that I screw into the coil to clean the inside and brush the deck clean. I don't go over 25 watts with 50:50 over 1. ohm.
I also found a little spacing between coil wraps about a sheet of paper or two is fine for some reason they stay a bit cleaner.. About an hour a week for maintenance. keep 4 setups going. Coils last tell I wreck it some how or want to try something new. I seem to gravitate back to 3 mm 28 gage kanthal
7 wraps 1.5ohm with cotton. I kinda enjoy messing with these things.

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was rewicking daily, changing out coils weekly when I was using kanthal
since I swapped out to ni200 and TC I am easily getting a week out of my wicks and unless I bend the crap out of them trying to rewick maybe 2-3 weeks out of a coil
I run between .06-.07 ohm 420deg 28g(single coil) and 30g(dual coil).. I use mostly teas and fruit flavors, 75vg-85vg

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have been cleaning my kanthal coils by heating them for about 10 seconds till they glow red and then dunking them quickly in cold running tap water. Pulse a couple of times to dry it out, and repeat until clean. Dry with a couple of pulses and tweak, pinch, and rewick. I've had coils last for a long time this way, in particular a 7 wrap Clapton dual coil in a CLT V2 that's so old I can't remember the gauge of wire or the inside dimension.
I'm just getting into TC, running single coil twisted 32 ga 3mm id 5 wraps at .12 ohms. How can you clean these suckers? Can you clean these coils?
I just ordered up some ReadyxWick and I'm looking forward to trying that shiz with the TC.

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I honestly believe a well made coil built right would practically last forever. I'm sure it'll last longer than any of us. I'd just get bored of the same coil. I'd probably keep a twisted messes coil forever thou. Dry burn and re-wick

VU Sponsors