Become a Patron!

How often do you wash your tools

zafirovp

Member For 2 Years
My question is what and how often do you wash your tools. Do you clean them before each use and if so what method do you use.

When rebuilding a coil, I clean my desk, wash my hands, tanks, scissors and tweezers.

The things that I dont clean are my ceramic tweezers and screwdrivers/ coil jigs. I believe that every contamination is gone when dry burning a coil. However I do touch my screwdrivers and ceramic tweezers and after that my "clean tools" without washing my hands again.

For cleaning I use just a cup with a little bit of dish soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I only wipe off anything that got juice on it, in the process. Even those things, I only wipe down with the paper towel I dried my hands with. I do wash my hands before I wick.

I rinse my hands off probably 20 times a day, as I can't stand to feel anything sticky on them. So I don't really worry about it. I do rinse my hands off when I get done, as I usually have at least a little ejuice on my fingers.

However, when I'm making ejuice, I usually do have very clean hands, since I normally will get the dishes out of the sink first, into the dishwasher, so I have plenty of room to work, and since I usually leave the hot water on trickle while mixing, so I can easily rinse out syringes.

Andria

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My question is what and how often do you wash your tools. Do you clean them before each use and if so what method do you use.

When rebuilding a coil, I clean my desk, wash my hands, tanks, scissors and tweezers.

The things that I dont clean are my ceramic tweezers and screwdrivers/ coil jigs. I believe that every contamination is gone when dry burning a coil. However I do touch my screwdrivers and ceramic tweezers and after that my "clean tools" without washing my hands again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much never. Unless something very unvapeable gets on a tool.

Dry burning certainly does not get rid of every contamination. Asphalt dust or gear lube will never dry burn away. Take my word.

The asphalt dust one sucked really bad cuz I was at work with no backup. Tried dry burning and rewick. Twice. Then ultrasonic cleaner at home. Replacing coils was the only fix.

Oher than the stupid mishaps above, I have never got anything on my tools that would harm a thing.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, I just dry-burned/rewicked. Did I put my hands and tools thru an autoclave first? I did not. In fact, I made my husband's lunch for tomorrow first, so if the rinse I gave my fingers after that didn't get 100% of the chicken juice off them, then I'm probably vaping that right now. Will it kill me? Nope. Does it affect the flavor of my vape? Doesn't seem to, though admittedly, right now I'm just tasting a lot of cotton and a little strawberry.

I've always thought that most clean-freaks were exactly that, OCD freaks in desperate need of psychotherapy and probably some good meds, and this thread seems to bear that out in SPADES.

Andria

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I occasionally wipe down tools with alcohol. I do rinse out tanks every few weeks, then put in us for a couple rounds. Drip tips I clean as needed.

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I use an old eGo pouch that I keep all my building tools in including cotton and extra coils. It goes everywhere with me because it's my only defense against mishaps while I'm away from the house. Unless I drop them in something I deem to be gross, I don't ever really wash them. If they get juicy I wipe em down with a paper towel and call em good. Now if I dropped em in dirt, hair, poop, abc gum, or something to that effect (my cat walks on them while I'm trying to build with her litter box feet, hate that), I'd def wash them like I would my dishes. Other than that, I don't find it necessary.

Changed my mind, I want extra crispy. Unless you already started mixing. In which case I'll take both! lol

drugarth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
never....I don't clean my pliers, scissors, ohm-meters, itty bitty screwdrivers etc....ever.....they don't get messy, so don't see the need
Only thing I clean is my tanks when it's their turn on the shelve, and my driptips when they get gunked up

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I usually wipe my tools down with vodka before I put them away and don't bother to clean pre-building, rewicking etc

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just wash hands, put down a paper towel down, take apart rta put it in a cup with peroxide. Sometimes i rinse with water but can't tell the dif honestly. Only other equipment is my screwdriver no worries there.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
never....I don't clean my pliers, scissors, ohm-meters, itty bitty screwdrivers etc....ever.....they don't get messy, so don't see the need
Only thing I clean is my tanks when it's their turn on the shelve, and my driptips when they get gunked up

Yeah, if I want to change flavors, or one of my Achilles has been sitting unused for a while, I'll drop it into boiling water (disassembled) and let it stay there for 5-15 mins, depending on how persistent the old scent is; I find that's the best way of getting rid of old ejuice without introducing some whole new objectionable smell from a cleaning product. Works well with brand new attys too, to get rid of that marvelous aroma of machine oil. :giggle:

And of course, just the other day I found that it had become time to boil out the Achilles I've been using for the last however-long, a year or so I guess, just to get rid of the old funk of old ejuice that builds up in the airflow.

Andria

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I don't wash/clean anything, unless something falls on the floor, the dog licked it, or I sneezed on it (actually, the dog's tongue is generally OK, but you get the idea) :)

This has worked for me for 5 1/2 years now, but YMMV as always.

VU Sponsors