Become a Patron!

How many times would you dry burn and reuse a 316L SS Fused Clapton Coil?

• 0 - I use new ones everytime I rewick.

• 1 - Only reuse them once then I replace them

• 2-3 times then replace

• 5-6 times then replace

• 10+ times or until I cannot get them clean anymore or they break.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hello Everyone. I would like some opinions and experiences with 316L SS Coils.

When I used kanthal coils I would dry burn them and clean them and re-wick them at least 20 times before I would replace them completely. I have been using 316L SS Fused Claptons for awhile now and I love them but wondered how many times you guys use them before throwing them out and using new ones. I have been keeping myself at about 3 times dry burning (not too hot) and cleaning and re-wicking them before replacing them.

How about everyone else? Replace them every time? 5 or 6 times before replacing? What do you all think?

I guess I am just a bit lazy in my old age and do not want to create new ones every 4 or 5 days so I like to try and reuse them a few times before making new ones and rebuilding my tanks.

Any and all opinions or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Happy Vaping Everyone!
CV

Last edited:

SteelDriver

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

When I used kanthal coils I would dry burn them and clean them and re-wick them at least 20 times before I would replace them completely. I have been using 316L SS Fused Claptons for awhile now and I love them but wondered how many times you guys use them before throwing them out and using new ones. I have been keeping myself at about 3 times dry burning (not too hot) and cleaning and re-wicking them before replacing them.

How about everyone else? Replace them every time? 5 or 6 times before replacing? What do you all think?

I guess I am just a bit lazy in my old age and do not want to create new ones every 4 or 5 days so I like to try and reuse them a few times before making new ones and rebuilding my tanks.

Any and all opinions or experience would be great appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Happy Vaping Everyone!
CV
Use mine till they still look gunky after burning.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Use mine till they break... or I get bored with a build. Do 2 week to a year per build.

I rewick and dry burn at low wattage 2 to 3 times a week. Really a glow rather than burn. Some juices more. Some wicks changes dont need a burn at all.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have been using my current coil for about 6 months now.

The same thing goes for my socks.

Dryburn and replace wick after about every 30ml.

Coil, not the socks.

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I buy my spooled wire from AVS, so it's pretty cheap. I normally will replace the coil after 2 or 3 rewicks, using fused claptons wrapped in 38g or 40g, which doesn't last as long as something wrapped in courser wire. I also vape a lot more juice between rewicking than others in the thread, probably 120ml (of sweet juice) minimum.

Really cleaning the coils between rewicks, removing every single strand of old cotton, and and dry burning at minimal power can drastically increase the life of a coil as well. If you take your time when cleaning, a coil can last as long as you'd like.

If I were buying those coils that cost $20/pair, you better believe I'd be stretching them out to 10+ rewicks haha. I think people who buy those coils are insane...

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My usually coil is a fused Clapton with ss316l core and kanthal 36g wrap. I typically go through about 30mls of juice (if harsh on coils) burn off the excess and rinse under water repeatedly until clean normally at like 40w. I don't have an exact time that I am done with the old coils but I use them for months before replacement. I don't typically have the same juices repeatedly so once im done with a certain flavor I usually change so i don't have any weird flavors on a new juice. Fused Claptons seem to soak old flavors in for a bit even when burning off and rinsing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I buy my spooled wire from AVS, so it's pretty cheap. I normally will replace the coil after 2 or 3 rewicks, using fused claptons wrapped in 38g or 40g, which doesn't last as long as something wrapped in courser wire. I also vape a lot more juice between rewicking than others in the thread, probably 120ml (of sweet juice) minimum.

Really cleaning the coils between rewicks, removing every single strand of old cotton, and and dry burning at minimal power can drastically increase the life of a coil as well. If you take your time when cleaning, a coil can last as long as you'd like.

If I were buying those coils that cost $20/pair, you better believe I'd be stretching them out to 10+ rewicks haha. I think people who buy those coils are insane...
I spin my own Claptons but once in a great while I'll get a couple pairs from some build masters. Those will be like framed staples and what not, but I usually just stick with my own. I prefer small gauge wrapping wire like between 38g - 44g and they still last me months. I tend to vape a bit on the hotter side like around 01.5Ω or on my series mods around 0.4Ω. The coils still will last em 2-3 months, sometimes longer. The key though is don't pulse the shit out of them, I'll pulse red and dunk in water 3-4 times and I rewick around 3 times a week on average. Also when first building to work out the hot spots, careful when strumming them when you have as thin of a wrapping wire for it's delicate.

Also a great deal depends on the quality of wire, I won't waste my time or money on Chinese shit wire and stick with legit Sandvik wire from legit sources.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's a shot of a pair of coils with at least 2 months of use, they're good for at least another month or two

rYsgsPS.jpg

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess I'm just lazy lol. Most of the time I wrap a new coil, it's because I didn't feel like properly cleaning the old coil. When a new coil only costs like $.50, it's hardly worth the effort to clean them over and over.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I run coil builds till I'm bored or just want to change the build. Its barely pennies per coil to make your own claptons so cost is immaterial. I remove the build from the atty and clean it separately, scraping then torching a bit then dunk into water. Do that a few times and the coil is quite clean. I never let SS get too hot so thats why I clean when its not in the atty also you get the legs and underneath gunk removed and the coil never sees any real hot from pulsing. I also see it as butane is much easier to get and cheaper than adding extra stress to your batts and mod to may be replaced sooner.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That particular coil I ran for 2 months without so much as a cotton change, it depends massively on the juice you're using an how dirty your coils get. First pic with the original cotton. Second after being lightly dry burned. All ss316l too
57610e48ee0743d3ec16d3287b3803ed.jpg
0d582d8228b0098914f2bf87b4f1037f.jpg

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Any and all opinions or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Happy Vaping Everyone!
CV
Ss316L can easily last months per coil set before needing to be changed. Personally my longest is a year. Totally critical to them lasting is:
A gentle initial dry fire. Nothing wrecks 316L faster than firing it like kanthal or nichrome.

When rewicking, make sure you get all the cotton fibers out before glowing then washing them.

Continuing to breathe in for a half second after you let go of the fire button to clear the chamber and cool the coils will do absolute wonders for the longevity of your cotton. I've had wicks last a couple months with sweet juice.

Really they'll go until you get tired of that build, and because of that I tend to rebuild more frequently than needed. Eventually though you'll notice a slow decline in flavor and performance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Continuing to breathe in for a half second after you let go of the fire button to clear the chamber and cool the coils will do absolute wonders for the longevity of your cotton. I've had wicks last a couple months with sweet juice.
Really they'll go until you get tired of that build, and because of that I tend to rebuild more frequently than needed. Eventually though you'll notice a slow decline in flavor and performance.
I totally agree....taking a couple few second powerless puff especially with a nice fat multiwire build that retains enough heat to cook the juice onto your coil plugging up the cotton fibers with char then cocooning the coil with residue for several seconds after, even single wire 24 or 26 hold enough heat to cook juice onto the coil and microcoils are the worst being a solid unit to retain heat.
Another coil killer that not too many think about is chain vaping. A veteran would know how to chain vape knowing that a cold coil acts totally different than a warmed up coil... a noobie doesn't. With every chain vape session of 3-5 hits without some cool off time between, by the 3rd hit the coil gets red hot almost instantly and you have to adapt your puff technique for that much hotter faster coil or you'll burn the coil then dryhit. That's where the after puff comes, the nastier the build the longer after puff should be and you'll get way more mileage out of the wicking.
I build cause my atty died, lifetimes supply of wire so why not have a fresh build to go with the rewicking. I get easily a couple weeks of good coil performance with my DIY and rayon then I'll get lazy and vape it till the coil cocoons and burns.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I redo my coils every 2-3 months, unless I want to test new builds or different wire I purchased, but then again I do clean my coils a minimum of 2-3 times a week and not because they need it, I'm just that kind of person that hates anything not being spotless lol. I vape a lot and while I do have mostly 3 setups running at the same time, all of my atties go through multiple flavor changes a day, I just can't stick with one flavor profile per RTA, and to make it worse diy adds all my RDA's to the problem. If I had to rebuild all that every couple days, I probably just get factory coils because it takes less time lol.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I have some SS in a few of my decks going on 3 months now.
I clean them once a week when I change wicks.
I breakdown the tanks and use Everclear Grain Alcohol to soak everything overnight.
Then I use the small nylon pipe cleaners to lightly brush the inside and outside of the coils.
Rinse everything with water and blow everything off with compressed air.

VU Sponsors