Become a Patron!

How often you guys replace your swivels?

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Hello everybody.

Yesterday i was trying to make some aliens and the wires collapsed (making a triangle). Tried again, collapsed'em again. Third time, same sh**.

After think a little bit, decide to change my swivels and like magic the aliens came out :)
My swivels were a little bit old and for the clapton to decore i used the drill at 1,5k rpm, that i think was the last kick to kill my swivels.

Do you guys replace yours swivels time to time? How often?

PS: What brand of swivels you guys use and recomend for better duration?
PS2: Do you guys lub the swivels?

Best for all.

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I replace mine once a month but I don't build as much as say Pegleg Meg. Krok bearing swivel's is what I use. But I have all mine hooked to a spinLt. You can find them at USA ohm meters.com

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I change my swivels on average about once a month at least (more if I'm making a crapload of orders), and notate the date on the side of my build station.

nMv4CXI.jpg

D0vBtdc.jpg

18panqv.jpg

Hoggy

Member For 3 Years
Geez.. How often do you guys need to replace clapton coils, to be needing to replace swivels every month?? :confused:

I just pulled a dual straight round wire 24g kanthal after over 8 months - and it was in no way bad! I just got tired of it (and it kinda wasn't right for a derringer using in-place silica rewicking techniques). Plus I'm beginning a clapton-making journey and just made a non-horrible fused that I wanted to put in it. .... But I would've thought claptons would be much more durable than that even. (Well, aside from CrazyChef, who said it's for orders.)

Side offer: Anyone want to buy ~130 feet of FT 2mm silica wick? :D

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

I still have a HUGE bag full of that stuff. :facepalm:
We really used to have to go through a lot of stuff to vape:gaah:

BoostedTrini

Member For 4 Years
I use Billfisher Krok Swivels. KBBSS270(Size 5 typically). I do Aliens 99% of the time and I use those swivels one at a time(yes just one, no spin LT, no other kind of bearing attached). One lasts me about 2-3 months and I build roughly 300-500 Aliens a month. I use Royal Purple 0w20 on them also. One drop on each side when new and then about 4 drops per side when I find they're not spinning smooth. I add oil about once per month usually.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Geez.. How often do you guys need to replace clapton coils, to be needing to replace swivels every month?? :confused:

I just pulled a dual straight round wire 24g kanthal after over 8 months - and it was in no way bad! I just got tired of it (and it kinda wasn't right for a derringer using in-place silica rewicking techniques). Plus I'm beginning a clapton-making journey and just made a non-horrible fused that I wanted to put in it. .... But I would've thought claptons would be much more durable than that even. (Well, aside from CrazyChef, who said it's for orders.)

We make a lot of coils for fun. And when chef is on a roll he can make a bucket full in no time. I'm not that good but it's fun.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I used cheap-o walmart ball bearing swivels for a while. I never paid attention to how often I changed them. I purchased a WireOx swivel from @wireoxswivel on IG and never had to worry about it again. No replacing or lubing swivels ever again :D. I do keep a few fishing swivels around for SUPER low mass work, like micro claptons with 38g+ cores. There isn't a swivel system on the market at the moment that can handle stuff like that. I keep them submerged in vegetable oil in a small container.

Heads up - I've not heard good things about the spin LT. But I've never used one so It's just hear-say

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was thinking about trying to rig something up from a fidget spinner, but maybe the bearings are too lite. Maybe not though.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I was thinking about trying to rig something up from a fidget spinner, but maybe the bearings are too lite. Maybe not though.
The "modern" swivel systems on the market are based around skate bearings. The biggest problem with them is they are to heavy to spin super low mass builds. But if your not into trying to spin fine wire then grab some red's bearings and a clevis pin (I believe it's 8mm diameter but it might be 5). Find a pillow block that you can stick the red's in and your good to go.
The only reason I ended up with the WireOx is because xezon developed his own lifetime lubricant so you never have to grease the bearings, and the housing is quality work.

A fidget spinner may work, but I'd imagine you would have the grease it pretty often.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I'm currently intrigued by the magnetic swivels that have been poking about. Haven't done any research so I don't know anything about them. But it's something to look into

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a few really high quality fidget spinners that wound up in the Dollar Tree here.
I never cared about fidget spinners, but grabbed a few like a year ago because they were a dollar, thinking they may be of some use some day.

The bearings are like surgically smooth.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I have a few really high quality fidget spinners that wound up in the Dollar Tree here.
I never cared about fidget spinners, but grabbed a few like a year ago because they were a dollar, thinking they may be of some use some day.

The bearings are like surgically smooth.
The real question, to which I do not have the answer, is can the bearings take the tension of a wire pulling on them without locking up.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The real question, to which I do not have the answer, is can the bearings take the tension of a wire pulling on them without locking up.

That IS exactly the question, yes. The one that occurred to me immediately as well.

VU Sponsors