Become a Patron!

How to build a special manual type mod from a new user/veteran vaper

Hi guys, great site!

I'm a veteran vaper, I guess. I've been vaping for 11+ years. I didn't see a brick-and-mortar store or meet another person (in person) who vaped for the first four.

I helped myself along with a forum I think was called ecigforum.org, I can't recall. I bought joyetech products and used those terrible old tanks until cartomizers came out, which I thought were the best thing since sliced bread. People were making mods back then but I'm not particularly handy. I liked the carts because it was like 'fill it and forget it' for a week. Never wanted a harder hit than a fresh cart gave me.

I was mad when they stopped selling carts. OK, had to go to tanks. This to me was like having bought a phone and told that no phone company would support it after 3 years.

So I started using tanks with joyetech batteries and, lo and behold, the market is no longer supporting what I un-technically refer to as 'not sub ohm' products. Here we go again. I'm not crazy for any tank I've had anyway...the coils cost 3x what a cart did...

I don't like the non manual box mods on the market. My partner, who is a machinist, uses one. I can't find one I like. I want to build a manual. I'm given the impression that I have to be an engineer to build and run one, but I managed to get by with what we had 11 years ago.

I want a manual style battery arrangement that will work with a simple tank apparatus (drip is fine) that doesn't put out a huge mystery cloud. It should be safe enough and not too strong of a hit, just a medium type vape. I like to puff on my ecig throughout the day, like sipping a beverage, not slamming a shot.

All Joyetech ego batteries are is batteries contained in a stick anyway, and I don't see why a manual has to be so damned hard. I think that if I went to manual I might finally be in a place where I am not a slave to the market. The BF says that I'd have to hand build coils and wrap them in cotton. Isn't there a prefab part? Why is this so much more difficult than the original (2006) Joye tanks? They were terrible but simple...but then no one was around to tell me that they were 'hard'. I remember playing with the wires and cotton but not much about it. How can I go about this? Please advise...

Thanks, Nikki
Nikki

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nor sure exactly what the issue is here.. There are plenty of mechanical mods - tubes, boxes, squonkers.. There are plenty of regulated mods, too - even the eGo/joyetech stuff is still suffered.

Not even sure what you are wanting in an atomizer. Sounds like a MTL preference - a "tootle-puffer"; but that doesn't mean you need a dripper. And, if you wanted a dripper for the height issue, then I'd say get/build a Squonker anyway. You can check youtube for reviews, and Vaping with Vic does reviews that are quite good - The Berserker and Siren v2 rated quite high for MTL and flavor.But, you would need to either buy premade coils or learn to twist some wire.

You can even do a bit of Retro and get a Kayfun Mini, or even a Taifun Mini. There are piles of clearomizers around fairly cheap, and some may even have affordable, worthwhile head-replacements. But I find that whole area to be a waste of money.

For quality parts in building your own mod, I can recommend:
Personally, the only Mechanical Mod I have anymore is a Noisy Cricket v1, which works just great alllll day with a nice high-ohm coil and small tank, (I added the FDV magnetic switch & buss bars). Most folks seem to prefer the NC v2, because they can adjust the output for lower ohms. And, the newer NC II-25 seems to be popular with some folks as well - because you can use it in series, (like my v1), or in parallel, (which extends your battery life/power).

I did the whole eGo and Nova and CE4 and Clearo scene - Never Again. And, the coil heads were all abominations and a waste of damned money.

A nice little Single-coil rta/rda vape is perfectly flavorful. Duals will draw more power and provide bigger fogbanks.

VU Sponsors