Become a Patron!

How to clean the Cotton in my coil

Okay so I have a question, I have an aspire tank and I put one type of juice in it, then today I changed the juice. So now it's like mixed and it tatstes really bad. well I just put this cool in it so I don't really wanna change it again. So I was wondering if anybody knows how to clean just the Cotton in the coil so this taste will go away

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With those it's better to just replace the coil, They are not made to be cleaned, if they get rinsed or wet they will not work again, disposable's.
Hi and welcome to VU, nice to meet you:)

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If you have a couple juices that are not aggressive flavor you can clean tank blot cotton and eventually the new flavor will take over. If you have a non aggressive flavor and go to an aggressive flavor the aggressive will take to full flavor. The nose will almost always let you know how suttle or aggressive the flavors are.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Okay so I have a question, I have an aspire tank and I put one type of juice in it, then today I changed the juice. So now it's like mixed and it tatstes really bad. well I just put this cool in it so I don't really wanna change it again. So I was wondering if anybody knows how to clean just the Cotton in the coil so this taste will go away

I used to soak my nautilus coils in vodka, rinse with water (use bottled unless your tap is unchlorinater) and let air dry overnight

They'd come out good as new

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I used to soak my nautilus coils in vodka, rinse with water (use bottled unless your tap is unchlorinater) and let air dry overnight

They'd come out good as new

Yep, agree with Lucy on this, or you might try dropping your coil/heads into a small pan of boiling hot water to boil out the juice, gunk. Whiskey is also correct though. After a bit these are genuinely meant as disposables. They use micro coils which for some are easily rebuilt yet for others are pains in the neck to rebuild.

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried the alcohol method with my smok helmet tank coils...I did not work well at all. I set in alcohol for an hour...rinsed off with water and air dried for 24 hours. The flavor was pretty much gone from the one before..but it deteriorated the cotton and it was dry hitting bad one day after this cleaning. The coil had one tank through it and this wrecked it. The best bet is to buy coils and just toss them in a zip lock bag labeled with the flavor you are using. Then if you go back and forth...just rinse tank with HOT water and swap the coil to the flavor you wanna run!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There is some confusion here the older tanks were used with silicon wicks that you could clean, the cotton coils are made to be replaced. Trying to clean cotton will just deteriorate cotton you can do it but it does not work so well as pizzadave said in the above.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You might remove the cotton and try rayon for wick. :) It does very well. Then, to switch flavors you swap out wicks and toss out the old rayon wick in place of the new fresh rayon wick. It is affordable to buy in bulk too, no need to concern oneself over its costs. :) I use rayon as wick for the RDAs used. Reckon it would suit being used in tank coils as well.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You might remove the cotton and try rayon for wick. :) It does very well. Then, to switch flavors you swap out wicks and toss out the old rayon wick in place of the new fresh rayon wick. It is affordable to buy in bulk too, no need to concern oneself over its costs. :) I use rayon as wick for the RDAs used. Reckon it would suit being used in tank coils as well.
She is using an aspire tank with a coil

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
She is using an aspire tank with a coil

Yep, read that and was aware of it. :) Suggestion is still viable. Rayon can be used in place of the cotton wick in stock coils.

Did you know? In 2000 BC it is believed Stonehenge was completed. Also in 2000 BC the ancestors of the Latins arrived in Italy, horses were first tamed and domesticated for use as transport, the last wooly mammoth went extinct on Wrangel island. At least Wikipedia scribes these as having occurred around 2000 BC. Not sure I would wager based upon Wikipedia's knowledge, yet it is at least one source of apparently random information. :)

I happen to be exploring the subject of Hinduism a bit as per its relationship to the worship of Lucifer. It seems there exists, at least in my humbled $0.02, good correlation between Lucifer and Siva. Yes, I continually have an odd affinity to explore such things, to connect dots. :) It helps me remain a wee bit off kilter enough so as to avoid sinking into psychotic breaks. :) Also, to me at least, it's just plain out fun! :) :D ;)

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I was still using replacement coils I tried to clean them with some of the methods mentioned above and it didn't go so well. Best thing to do is get an RTA / RDA, learn how to use it and cut the coil man out of the picture.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I was still using replacement coils I tried to clean them with some of the methods mentioned above and it didn't go so well. Best thing to do is get an RTA / RDA, learn how to use it and cut the coil man out of the picture.
Yep, used to boil, use Vodka, etc. etc. which was a total waste of time and coils.

Best thing I did was start building, it's easy, cheaper, not to mention options and flavor are much, much better.

Get a decent RTA, learn to build which is very easy and you won't regret it.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ikea is cheap press board crap, how any of that trash can be assembled is beyond me ;)

Our first place was completely furnished by IKEA (we were broke) and when we moved into our first home, everything we disassembled could not be put back together. We had to go to a real furniture store and by real furniture. It's good in a pinch but for the long haul, no dice.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Our first place was completely furnished by IKEA (we were broke) and when we moved into our first home, everything we disassembled could not be put back together. We had to go to a real furniture store and by real furniture. It's good in a pinch but for the long haul, no dice.
I always remember an old saying from my Father, "we're too poor to buy cheap". That has always stuck with me, the reality is pay now or continue to waste money. For me I'll buy used quality before I'll buy cheap junk ;)

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always remember an old saying from my Father, "we're too poor to buy cheap". That has always stuck with me, the reality is pay now or continue to waste money. For me I'll buy used quality before I'll buy cheap junk ;)
Your father was a wise man.

jennyyili

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
change the cotton to new m and clean it with alcohol

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
change the cotton to new m and clean it with alcohol
Do NOT use rubbing alcohol, it's toxic. If one absolutely must use high proof Vodka, but bottom line is cleaning factory coils is an exercise is futility. Cotton breaks down with heat, factory coils are designed to be disposable.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Do NOT use rubbing alcohol, it's toxic. If one absolutely must use high proof Vodka, but bottom line is cleaning factory coils is an exercise is futility. Cotton breaks down with heat, factory coils are designed to be disposable.
That's why I'm 100% rebuildable... Tank coils are where they make the money...

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I was using clearomizer tanks they used disposable pieces that had a premade mini coil inside with silica wick. I ran into the same issue. Mixing similar flavor profiles muted the taste a little but was ok. Mixing and matching with many flavors didn't work out so well. Cleaning them was a royal pain in the ass, best to get several clearo tanks and use one for each flavor then replace the coil when needed. When changing the coil/wick flavor can be changed.

I tried the blotting method with paper towels, it helped but they remained tainted. Always got a hint of the previous flavor. I tried rinsing with water but that wasn't good either. Even when they seemed dry after blotting and giving them several days to air dry it always tasted watered down like adding some water to a soda or something.

I even got some of the silica wick to try and rewick those tiny coils, omg what a pia. IF I got lucky it took me around 10-15min and that's wrapping the end of the silica tight with plumbers tape, fiddling it through ever so carefully. Most of the time the tiny 40ga wire or whatever nutso tiny gauge they used would break or short and after all that time find out the coil was dead.

Definitely stay away from the rubbing alcohol, not only is it likely toxic it likes to crack the hell out of the plastic/acrylics they use to make clearo tanks and drip tips. Found that out the hard way.

I've been much much happier since I went to rebuildables. A bag of organic cotton make up pads was like $8 and has lasted me the past 6mo or so without even putting a dent in the bag. It will probably last years at this rate. Wire is cheap, I got a 5m or 10m spool for a few dollars and haven't used it all up yet. Even twisting it (uses double the wire and the length is reduced a good 30% when twisting). A twisted coil lasts me a couple weeks usually with a brief rinsing and dry firing/pulsing when I change wicks out. Sooooo much easier and cheaper. I think a 5 pack of the premade coil heads with wicks ran me something like $10-12. They would have lasted me a month or so. For the same price in wire and cotton I've gone 6mo and still going. Not to mention I don't run into the issue of 'oh crap, that was my last coil and I have to order more'. Replacing a diy coil/wick takes all of 5min.

So far I've been using a single rta, I don't have others in my rotation or different tanks for different flavors. Pretty much a beginners or worst case scenario. It's still less hassle and easier and cheaper to switch out flavors, wash the rta out, rewick etc than it was when I had 7-8 clearo's at $7 a piece. For what I spent in clearo tanks alone it paid for a dual 18650 mod with a decent rta. The funny thing is I avoided going big with rta's and mods with separate batteries because spinner style ego battery mods and clearo tanks were 'easier'. HA. It's been the complete opposite experience for me.

Technically if you have a large slush fund or disposable bank account, the clearo's can be easier. Especially if you have $50 worth of tanks laying around and $40 worth of premade coils so when changing flavors or one breaks or burns out you can just toss it and grab a new one. Convenience comes with a price though. Obviously if you get a flat tire on a car, changing it out is more work than just signing a new lease but not without a hefty premium.

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
For factory coils (which I still use for some travel tanks so I don't have to rewick or whatever while away) I break the tank down, rinse the tank (not the coil) blot the coil sorta dry, prime with the new juice, reassemble, and the taste is typically changed over within maybe 5 puffs. YMMV.

As to washing factory coils, my experience was quite negative and personally wouldn't recommend it.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
unless its an extremely aggressive flavor the new flavor will eventually take over but it might take several tank fulls. The only thing designed (except for some odd 2 flavor tank I just saw yesterday) to make switching flavors easy is an RDA. If you like to run multiple flavors get multiple tanks
or have a coil for each flavor. Even with RTAs( tanks you build your own coils in) switching flavors is easier then with what you got but you do have to take out the cotton rewick dry burn your coils and possibly rinse out the tank and chimney depending on your flavors. For most of us experienced with RTAs thats like 5 mins of work and is easy for most of us.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For my daily use Nautilus Minis I have 3 for different flavor profiles fruits/deserts/tobaccos so I can switch flavors and not have the incompatible nasty tastes. Works for me so you might want to try it yourself.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I make my own juice like most of the folks that have already responded and I always have some vg and pg sitting around. I've had some success vaping a tank or 2 of unflavored juice. It can be a little nasty to start with but it will soon start to wash the old flavor out of the cotton.

How long it takes depends on the flavor. I mixed some forest fruit flavoring with salted caramel and besides being nasty, I swear it soaked into the metal parts of the tank. For a while I thought I was gonna have to throw the tank away! :)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Nice thread guys excellent advice in here :)

Like Rossco I do prefer DIY coils but I appreciate the market for pre mades as well still run a few myself especially as they tend to last longer before having to replace and when I'm being lazy

I've always just replaced mine when they burn out too much hassle to do anything else

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can't even assemble ikea furniture but I can manage RDA's / RTA's. If I can do it ANYONE can.

I have some difficulty with 14 & 16mm rda decks. That is simply way to tiny due to arthritis & nerve issues for me. I can though do well on 24+ mm decks. Perhaps, if I had started out building on 14 - 16 mm decks, I would do well on them. *shrugs* It is what is. *chuckles*

I appreciate the market for pre mades as well still run a few myself especially as they tend to last longer before having to replace and when I'm being lazy

I've been making note of the pre made coils as well. Like you that lazy creature can tackle. Besides that affordable pre made coils allow me to try various different styles, exploring and learning too.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have rinsed coils out using hot water and blowing them out and semi satisfactory results but with a heavy flavor sometimes it just lingers and nothing you can do about it. Remember this is just from my personal experience and YMMV

Last edited:
I had mixed results with washing coils. In the end, I got somewhat good results with this crazy (and painful) method :
  1. Rinse with tap water,
  2. Rubbing alcohol bath for a couple hours, (or delicately insert a wick of twisted paper towel in the air hole then drip rubbing alcohol on the juice holes),
  3. Boil in 10% vinegar, it softens the fibers,
  4. Boil in water with few spoons of sodium bicarbonate (or sodium carbonate, it's the same thing once boiled), it dissolves the remaining tar and whitten the cotton,
  5. Rinse with tap water, then boil in demineralized/distilled water,
  6. Air dry for 24h.
No taste of vinegar, so i suppose the rubbing alcohol is not a problem if properly boiled off. 3-5 washes and the cotton falls apart.

Now I build my own coils and don't bother anymore.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Some quick math and the materials alone cost more than a coil for me at less than $3 for my most expensive purchase. Then I figure the the time invested versus the amount of time a coil lasts. Trash them and vape is less costly in my opinion. But that is just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors