Become a Patron!

How to construct a recipe from scratch

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi,

I have a bunch of tfa and fa concentrates that I have not been able to make any decent juice from the recipes that I used. I would like to try and make my own and was wondering if anyone could share some pointers.

Thanks

Hobart, Tasmania

Kingboomer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Taste your flavors individually first. Get a feel for how they'll taste, and how they might play with other flavors. What recipes did you use?

-Kingboomer

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The above suggestion will send you in the right direction. Make up individual bottles and get to know the flavors. Then, you can take the pre-made single flavors and start mixing them together.

For example, mix up stand alone flavors in 30ml bottles then get yourself some 5ml bottles and start mixing them together, 2 or 3 or 4 flavors at a time until you hit combinations you like.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hi,

I have a bunch of tfa and fa concentrates that I have not been able to make any decent juice from the recipes that I used. I would like to try and make my own and was wondering if anyone could share some pointers.

Thanks

Hobart, Tasmania

Start with tasting fruits stand alone first.
If you don't have any base flavors that you like stand alone, you won't get any further.
Until you branch out to other brands like CAP & INW, that is.

Don't bother trying secondary flavors stand alone as they rarely will be any good.
Things like Vanillas, Creams, Marshmallow, etc.

Simple 2-3 flavor mixes to start with are best IMO.
Don't try mixing fruits as they often don't work so good.
I'd stay away from Cherry, Raspberry, & Chocolate flavors for now.

1.Fruit
2.Vanilla
3. Cream
4. Marshmallow for sweet and mouthfeel, works in most anything

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks, what would you recommend percentage wise for base flavour and additives?

Hobart, Tasmania

brandon555

Member For 3 Years
It's hard to give an exact % because some flavors are a lot stronger than others. An example would be a stronger flavor like FA Bilberry, probably ok to start out with 2% whereas a more subtle flavor like TFA Ripe Strawberry is usually pretty good at 10% by itself.

This site is a pretty good resource. You can look up flavor notes for your ingredients and get a general idea what % to start standalone or in a mix and what types of other flavors they work well with. http://e-liquid-recipes.com/

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks, what would you recommend percentage wise for base flavour and additives?

Hobart, Tasmania

Fruit depends on the brand, flavor, and taste buds.
I use 2% starting point for FA & INW.
5% for CAP, 6% for TFA, and 7%+ for FW.
Some flavors have exceptions, like Blackberry, Cherry, & Raspberry, for instance.
Usually takes way less...

Secondary flavors:
Vanillas are usually 1-2%, but can go higher if needed, like TFA/CAP VBIC at 4-5%, for example.
Creams are much like Vanillas above.
FA Marshmallow is usually just a standard 1% for me, but can be used higher also.
FA Meringue, FA Cookie, INW Biscuit are 1%, but mostly when used as secondaries.
Some can go higher if meant to be a primary flavor/s.

But some people are more sensitive to amounts used, just as some have trouble tasting anything.
Each person has to experiment to find their own personal "sweet spot" with most flavors individually.
Recipes and recommendations are only references to what we like ourselves.

Probably why we end up with 7 different brands of Strawberry for example.
Searching for the 1 flavor/brand that hits us just right.
Like INW Shisha Strawberry wasn't even around yet when I started DIY.
If it was I would have stopped searching some time ago.

Probably why I suggest people start DIY with INW brand.

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you have any preferences for vg/pg ratio? I have been vaping 70/30 - 80/20 DL and have been getting a sore throat in the morning making me feel like clearing my throat a bit during the day. No I don't have a cold either, I've had this problem for months

Hobart, Tasmania

brandon555

Member For 3 Years
70/30 is good imo. Good balance between vapor and flavor, and thick enough to not leak from most tanks. It's possible you might need to just drink more water/fluids. Vaping can dehydrate you, so it's always a good idea to drink more water than normal if you're vaping throughout the day.

As far as needing to clear your throat, that could just be all the nasty stuff from the cigs finally clearing out. How long ago did you quit the stinkies?

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I drink plenty of fluids and have been vaping for nearly a year

Hobart, Tasmania

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Do you have any preferences for vg/pg ratio? I have been vaping 70/30 - 80/20 DL and have been getting a sore throat in the morning making me feel like clearing my throat a bit during the day. No I don't have a cold either, I've had this problem for months

Hobart, Tasmania

I'm one of the few oddballs here that runs 70/30VG, MTL.
Haven't had any of those issues you mentioned.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Hobart, Tasmania
I get the cough/mucus from vaping too. It's at it's worst in the morning when I wake up. It's because I am a chain vapor, and I run through 30+/- mils a day. I'm usually 75/25 with my mixes. Any heavier on the VG, and it makes my lungs hurt.

Nothing like the smokers cough I used to have though.

You could try using a little higher PG, but if you vape much, you'll still likely have the problem.

brandon555

Member For 3 Years
Maybe try diluting with some saline. A lot of people that vape max vg dilute with .9% saline instead of plain water or pg and claim it is less irritating and drying on the mouth and throat.

mysticman

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
As other members have said, getting to know how single flavors taste is the first step in any recipe. If it's a new flavor I've never tried before, I would do some research and find out what the recommended starting percentage is. If I find that average to be 4%, for example, then I will mix 3-10ml bottles, one at 2% one at 4% and one at 6% with a 70/30 vg/pg base. I can tell very quickly which works best for me and then when I go to test it in a new recipe, I have a good idea where to start depending on how prominent I want that flavor to be.

Every brand is different as to their strengths so you really have to do some research. Then the fun begins. Mixing flavors to produce specific unique tastes is an art, and there really are no hard and fast rules. I've stumbled upon some awesome flavor combinations by putting together flavors you wouldn't think would work together.

Bottom line is, take your time and have fun with it. Who knows, you may just create the next super juice...let me know if you do.

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe try diluting with some saline. A lot of people that vape max vg dilute with .9% saline instead of plain water or pg and claim it is less irritating and drying on the mouth and throat.
Thanks I will try that, I did not like 50/50 in rhe dripper. I found that the pg had a strange taste and was unsatisfying. I have been going without during the day which has helped a lot.

I may try 50/50 during the day with a vape pen because I did try my mate's with a 50/50 tobacco blend which was quite satisfying.

I will keep trying but as much as I live vaping, if the discomfort continues I may well quit.

Hobart, Tasmania

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I record each of my flavors on a post it..and have them on a big corkboard...then I take 4 darts close my eyes and throw them at the corkboard....whatever they hit gets mixed

martybaker

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I record each of my flavors on a post it..and have them on a big corkboard...then I take 4 darts close my eyes and throw them at the corkboard....whatever they hit gets mixed
That's a novel idea, if not a bit dangerous lol

Hobart, Tasmania

VU Sponsors