Become a Patron!

How to deal with heat transfer

I just bought the Terminator and so far i love it. Due to the entire top being metal besides the button there is a lot of heat transfer making it hard to fire it with each hit. Is there any thing I can do to fix this a paint or something?

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi, and let me welcome you the Vaping Underground :)

I have to ask to just make sure but you're talking about the Terminator box mod that is a squonker right and not just the rebuildable tank atty that is the clone of the Oddyseus or the one you put an old 510 atty in right?

Ok, good, now that we've got that cleared up and we know it's the squonker (hehehe, hehehe, squonker, I don't care what anyone says, that just sounds dirty anyway you say it :) ) I have to ask because I don't own one if the drip tip connection will fit a standard 510 drip tip in it or if it comes with some specialized drip tip that will only fit the atty that comes with it?

Because if it's just a standard 510 drip tip you can get a pyrex or "borosilicate" glass is type of glass it is and pyrex is just the brand name of the same thing. A glass drip tip or even a ceramic or stone drip tip will dissipate heat much better than metal or plastic...delrin on the other hand is another good option as well as simply getting a longer drip tip giving the vapor more travel distance it will cool down some before you inhale it.

Also, if you google the webs you can find heat sink fin adaptors as well and one of them might fit your atty. I would measure the inner diameter of the drip tip connection to see what it's diameter is in millimeters. If it's not a standard 510 drip tip slot than you can try and find something that is in the same size as it that could fit it as well like the drip tips from a mutation x or something...you'd also have another atty to vape on that thing...you wouldn't be able to squonk it but you'd still be able to fire it I am sure.

I hope this was at least a little bit helpful and I am sorry if it wasn't but I tried...maybe someone who is a fellow squonker will see this and drop by to help out as well...once again welcome to VU and happy vaping!

Cheers :)

Yes i have the squonker Terminator and it doesn't have the standard 510 drip tip its a bigger one. The issue isn't the atty itself as the actual tip doesn't get hot. The top of the box is metal with a plastic button. That is whats getting hot. Going to try and get a picture to show what I mean.

This is a picture of the top of the box. I have the black one. As you can see its all metal on top expect the button. The rest of the box is not metal. Due to that part being all metal the heat transfers over all of it and makes it harder to fire it after about 4 or so hits depending on how long they are.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 8

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry I misunderstood you, I know the top of the thing is metal, it's an honest misunderstanding as those attys can get quite warm on top as well as the heat transfer to the mod. Since it's a squonker there isn't a whole lot of options if you want to use it the way it's intended but they used to make a few cheezy airflow adjustment places and such that might help or a 510 to eGo style adaptor with a center hole like they used to make...I am going to have to do some looking of stuff up after tonight and see what I can come up with to help you better...once again, sorry I misunderstood you...I will do my best to see what I can do to help you out.

Its all right i knew I explained it a little strange. I was wondering if like maybe I could paint the area around the button or maybe cover it in a plastic if that could help. I know having a metal button on plastic also produces similar heat transfer to the metal button. I figured someone somewhere had to have figured out a solution to that.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Its all right i knew I explained it a little strange. I was wondering if like maybe I could paint the area around the button or maybe cover it in a plastic if that could help. I know having a metal button on plastic also produces similar heat transfer to the metal button. I figured someone somewhere had to have figured out a solution to that.

Yeah, sometimes I misread what's written, I am a little slow and despite the power of the backspace key sometimes it still shows, so sorry about that :)

one thing you could try, and I don't know how it will look or feel, is get like a plastic button that has a sticky back and stick it on top of the button....I am trying to forget what the proper name of it is...but instead of getting one of those felt circle thingies at home depot that has a sticky side so you can put it on chair feet or table legs so they don't mark up wood floors (you know what I am talking about, they make that felt in all shapes and sizes,) I am pretty sure you can get plastic rounds like that as well...you could try sticking one of them on top of the button...it might not fix the heating problem but would be a lot cooler than pushing a metal button warmed up by heat transfer. I am sorry that I am not that helpful with this one....when I can think of the name of it or something better I'll pop up again....I'll do some google fu and see what I can come up with :)

In the meantime maybe taping a small flat glass bead or something with double back sticky to it will at least solve the problem of touch and you can easily remove it to not damage your mod or it's looks, glass would handle and disipate the heat much better and it wouldn't transfer threw the double back stick pad and the glass very well at all, it would just look a little funky.

Now I am the one that is sorry if I explained things kind of weird :(

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This will remove most of the heat transfer to the mod: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10010809/1973502-kepler-510-finned-heat-sink-for-atomizers
1973502-3.jpg

You can also get a skin that will cover the button, but I think eliminating the heat transfer at the source will help immensely.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This will remove most of the heat transfer to the mod: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10010809/1973502-kepler-510-finned-heat-sink-for-atomizers
1973502-3.jpg

You can also get a skin that will cover the button, but I think eliminating the heat transfer at the source will help immensely.

That will work for Squonkers as well? If it does that is awesome and thank you for telling me....I've been looking at those and thinking about offering the same advice but I was hesitant because I wasn't sure if they had a hole in them....I was thinking about maybe a 510/eGo adapter as well as that would give some distance and would still be able to squonk threw but it would be ugly looking. We must look good while we accessorize right? :)

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I took out the copper 510 pin and put a hollow one in and am using one on a metal squonker. So, yes it can be done. I use the SS one on my squonker, not too keen on juice touching copper.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I took out the copper 510 pin and put a hollow one in and am using one on a metal squonker. So, yes it can be done. I use the SS one on my squonker, not too keen on juice touching copper.

Right on bud, thank you for telling me....I love learning new things myself :) Thank you for helping me as well :)

VU Sponsors