Become a Patron!

How to get back on the wagon

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Totally agree about that; WTA is almost as hard to get off of as cigarettes themselves -- because of the interaction of nicotine/MAOIs, I'm sure. The only thing that makes it easier than cigarettes is that you can titrate it very exactly and very slowly, for systematic reduction, which is damned near impossible with cigarettes.

The first couple weeks I was finally free of WTA, I did have a few days of "poor me's", but adding just a TINY smidge to a couple of atties'-ful got me past it. Now I've been free of it completely since first of April.

Andria
who did you buy the WTA from ..Aroma or Mother's milk..

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I would like to reiterate that I was a very heavy smoker. 2 pad for 33 years. Marlboros. Vaping was the ONLY way I could quit.. So, good luck!!!!

Me too. 37 years 2.5 PAD

It took over 2.5 years of dual vaping/smoking before I quit with the aid of WTA

However, evidence on forums suggests the majority of people who quit with vaping are able to do so without WTA

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Me too. 37 years 2.5 PAD

However, evidence on forums suggests the majority of people who quit with vaping are able to do so without WTA

I should add that I was always jealous of those folks :p

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Me too. 37 years 2.5 PAD

Wow! So, you're one of the rare ones that needed the wta also. Interesting. I also dual vaped for a few years.
Point is, DO NOT GIVE UP! Even when dual vape/smoking, I was able to get down to 5 cigs a day and get off the inhaler.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Wow! So, you're one of the rare ones that needed the wta also. Interesting. I also dual vaped for a few years.
Point is, DO NOT GIVE UP! Even when dual vape/smoking, I was able to get down to 5 cigs a day and get off the inhaler.

Over five month without a single smoke. And my husband still smokes so it's not like I couldn't easily do so if I wanted to

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When

When l smoked l can definitely say that it curbed my appetite. However vaping does not do this. If l am hungry l can vape as much as l like but l will still be hungry and therefore eat. However l don't gain weight easily thus my weight (dress size as l stopped weighing myself in my late 20's) has not increased.

I'm not sure if vaping curbs my appetite, but the benefit for me is that when I'm sitting around at night watching TV, instead of snacking to try and make it to the next commercial for a smoke, I can just sit there and vape; I only have to get up at the commercials if I want something more to drink, or need to go let out what I've already drank -- tea does have that effect, even decaf. :D That's a huge plus, because I used to go thru some serious quantities of chips, cookies, and various other snacks, none of them healthful! Well, maybe some canteloupe now and then. :D

I don't think my metabolism has really changed much from switching from smoke to vapor, but in general, it's declining, due to my age. Which sucks, but definitely beats the alternative. ;)

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Glad you're off the WTA now Andria. I'm still on it but that's the ONLY way I quit smoking. August 22 I'll be off, and a year from smoking.

Same here, that 2nd time after my appendectomy. If I could have stayed smoke free, not had the surgery or the relapse, I could have probably continued doing without it, but that surgery and recuperation seriously fucked with me; at the time, trying to get my guts back to good working order was a lot more important than whether or not I smoked. But thank god for the WTA after the relapse, or I never could have stuck with it. and I've still got a 15ml bottle of it, the 24mg, in my freezer -- for "just in case." It feels like security like that almost-2-yr-old half-pk of smokes in the ziplock behind the boxes of nicotine. :D

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I lost my security-blanket pack of smokes - and it doesn't bother me at all.

I only knew I lost it when it occurred to me I should throw them away last month and I went to get it and it wasn't where I thought, lol.

A few months ago that would have panicked the hell out of me - the thought of tossing or losing that pack :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I only knew I lost it when it occurred to me I should throw them away last month and I went to get it and it wasn't where I thought, lol.

A few months ago that would have panicked the hell out of me - the thought of tossing or losing that pack :)

I gave away my last open pk when I was 60 days smoke-free, the first time around; and when those cravings hit me, during my convalescence, that was what infuriated me the most, that I didn't even have the option anymore -- I made my husband go get me some cigs at midnight, I was having such a hissyfit meltdown! :D Well, once I got 'em, I just HAD to smoke 'em.... and that first pk was gone in a couple days. :facepalm: Took a month to pry those bastards back outta my flesh. So I keep that LAST open half-pk back there in the freezer. They are what tells me that this is MY CHOICE, not forced on me by anyone or anything, not even a lack of cigarettes. I CHOOSE not to smoke them, because vaping is so much better!

Andria

Venom Ballistics

Member For 4 Years

I never lost my emergency provisions ... but somewhere about a year and a half back in the rear view mirror, I just quit caring about it

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

I still have the one under my sink that I can say cuss words at. "You do NOT own me you bastige!"
Congrats to you Lucy for being around a smoker and still succeeding.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This is something that I think the FDA really hasn't considered at all: those of us who truly DESPAIRED of ever being able to quit, who finally managed it -- it's like being set free from slavery, when we had never believed it was possible to be free of it. And they think people like us are just gonna march idiotically along with whatever the FDA thinks is right for us? FUCK THEM AND THE HORSE THEY RODE UP ON!!!!!!!!! We're NEVER GOING BACK TO SLAVERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andria

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm not sure if vaping curbs my appetite, but the benefit for me is that when I'm sitting around at night watching TV, instead of snacking to try and make it to the next commercial for a smoke, I can just sit there and vape; I only have to get up at the commercials if I want something more to drink, or need to go let out what I've already drank -- tea does have that effect, even decaf. :D That's a huge plus, because I used to go thru some serious quantities of chips, cookies, and various other snacks, none of them healthful! Well, maybe some canteloupe now and then. :D

I don't think my metabolism has really changed much from switching from smoke to vapor, but in general, it's declining, due to my age. Which sucks, but definitely beats the alternative. ;)

Andria
Arrrr, l don't graze/snake. But l definitely eat more, because when l smoked l could go three days easily without food (coffee was must though!) and would only eat once a day. But since vaping, no way could l do that now! And a hungery Gingerbread is not so nice:mad:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Arrrr, l don't graze/snake. But l definitely eat more, because when l smoked l could go three days easily without food (coffee was must though!) and would only eat once a day. But since vaping, no way could l do that now! And a hungery Gingerbread is not so nice:mad:

I've put on a little weight but I'm tasting food for the first time since I was a teenager!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is something that I think the FDA really hasn't considered at all: those of us who truly DESPAIRED of ever being able to quit, who finally managed it -- it's like being set free from slavery, when we had never believed it was possible to be free of it. And they think people like us are just gonna march idiotically along with whatever the FDA thinks is right for us? FUCK THEM AND THE HORSE THEY RODE UP ON!!!!!!!!! We're NEVER GOING BACK TO SLAVERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andria
well I don't know if we can stop them....if I can just get my hands on reasonablly affordable nic base I'm cool, but if they tax the hell out of it or regulate the hell out of it ....I'll have to give up vping.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
COPD. I'm not using my inhaler anymore so that's a good sign. :)

Asthma, on the other hand, doesn't go away when you quit smoking. I still cough, still cough up, just not as much, and in fact it's actually much harder to do, now that I don't have a load of tar in my chest, increasing the congestion. It's kinda how I start to notice that my hydration is slipping, when it becomes really hard to cough up. But if I don't cough up, I just wheeze, and I hate that sound and sensation; have to clear it.

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
how bad is your copd and can you regain your breathing.
I don't have COPD. I just was hoping it wasn't too late. A friend of mine from work quit smoking 10 years ago and was just diagnosed with it and carries an oxygen tank now. :( All people are different though.
Andria, sorry about your asthma. That stinks.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't have COPD. I just was hoping it wasn't too late. A friend of mine from work quit smoking 10 years ago and was just diagnosed with it and carries an oxygen tank now. :( All people are different though.
Andria, sorry about your asthma. That stinks.

Well, at least I'm free of cigarettes, something I never thought I'd be. And it's entirely possible that if I had managed to quit smoking in some other way, cold turkey or the patch, my asthma might have virtually disappeared -- inhaling anything other than plain air and asthma medicine is always problematic for asthmatics. But, since vaping is the only thing that's ever worked for me to be ABLE to quit smoking, I'll just count my blessings: I don't smoke; I get my meds for free from GSK, all it costs me is the twice-yearly visits to my doc for refill scrips.

And now that I'm off the WTA, and it's been nearly 2 yrs since I quit the coffin nails, my asthma is *slightly* better than when I first quit, though still not as well-controlled as when I smoked. I think that control was based on 2 factors: there are substances in commercial cigarettes that function as bronchodilators, and I had many years to achieve a state of homeostasis, a delicate balance between smoking and asthma -- I never had asthma as a non-smoker, but developed it as an adult, when I'd already been a smoker for 10 yrs. So now it's just a matter of reaching a new balance, how ever long that may take.

Andria

NickIsANoob

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I was a 1.5 pad smoker for almost 20 years. I tried MTL vaping and tried to quit but ended up dual using for a couple months before I bought a proper DTL setup. I haven't had a single cigarette since that day.

Now over a year later I am still deathly afraid of picking up cigarettes, when i leave the house I always bring 2 fully charged mods and enough juice to last me 24 hours. I am committed to not smoking, if I found myself without my e cig for whatever reason I would just go buy a new one. If happily spend 1000 dollars on a Cheap kanger mod before buying smokes.

My brother in law has a good mod/setup but only leaves the house with one set of batteries and keeps doing dumb shit like burning his cotton taking dry hits at 200w and then goes and buys cigs. I've tried to tell him that he is never going
to quit but he doesn't seem to care. I think he only vapes because his boss does and he thinks it's cool?

As far as weight loss/gain I never smoked inside so I snacked a lot when I had cravings. I don't have the cravings as often because I can vape in the car and in my house. I lost 15 pounds quitting.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Now over a year later I am still deathly afraid of picking up cigarettes, when i leave the house I always bring 2 fully charged mods and enough juice to last me 24 hours. I am committed to not smoking, if I found myself without my e cig for whatever reason I would just go buy a new one. If happily spend 1000 dollars on a Cheap kanger mod before buying smokes.

My brother in law has a good mod/setup but only leaves the house with one set of batteries and keeps doing dumb shit like burning his cotton taking dry hits at 200w and then goes and buys cigs. I've tried to tell him that he is never going
to quit but he doesn't seem to care. I think he only vapes because his boss does and he thinks it's cool?

That right there -- you're committed to staying quit, so you take the steps necessary to ensure that you ALWAYS have something to vape. Your BIL, on the other hand, is not committed to it at all, since he actively practices self-sabotage, and thus provides himself a handy excuse to smoke. I really think the commitment or the lack of it is really what makes the difference, in whether someone will succeed with smoking cessation via vaping. It doesn't really matter what the hardware is, or how one does it -- MTL or DTL -- I was successful while using a cigalike that lasted about 15mins per charge with just .4ml of juice in it -- because I had $40 invested in the thing, and didn't want to waste it!

If someone tells themself, 'this isn't good enough to help me quit,' then it won't be. If someone tells themself, 'this is a great substitute!' -- no matter what it is -- then it will be. If someone doesn't make every possible effort to make sure they can keep vaping, no matter what... they aren't really committed to vaping instead of smoking.

Andria

VU Sponsors