Become a Patron!

How to get started?

IronSky

Cereal Vapist
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
So, I’ve only been using regulated mods with sub ohm tanks and pre-made coils so far. I really want to get into squonking. I’m not even sure where to start. Can I even do this if I don’t know how to build? I’ve seen pre-made coils, and I pretty sure I’m smart enough to figure out how to wick. I think single coils are going to be the way to go for beginners, but I have no idea if that assumption is right. I’ve done quite a bit of reading, but most of the threads on squonking and RTAs are for those who already know what the hell they are doing. Any advice on where to start, and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So, I’ve only been using regulated mods with sub ohm tanks and pre-made coils so far. I really want to get into squonking. I’m not even sure where to start. Can I even do this if I don’t know how to build? I’ve seen pre-made coils, and I pretty sure I’m smart enough to figure out how to wick. I think single coils are going to be the way to go for beginners, but I have no idea if that assumption is right. I’ve done quite a bit of reading, but most of the threads on squonking and RTAs are for those who already know what the hell they are doing. Any advice on where to start, and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

You can totally use premade coils (not the cartridge kind, put pre-wrapped wire) for squonking, a lot of people do

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

My suggestion would be to determine which RDA's or RTA's you may want and watch a lot of you tube videos. It can be intimidating at first, but it's really easy. There's a ton of good regulated squonk mods now so you don't have to dive into mechs. Single or dual coil is going to be up to you. I'm not going to suggest any products because my tastes may not be yours.

I mainly use premade coils from Coilology, Advanced Vape Supply, and ones made by forum members. I know you have a thread already about coils and I'm sure you'll get answers there but with research and help from VU members I'm sure you'll find a source for coils in Canada soon.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just to add research cleaning and maintaining your coils because unlike factory coils for sub ohm tanks you can extend the life of your coils by cleaning them and adding fresh wicking material. Many times you can get weeks or even month out of a coil and that saves money for more mods, atomizers, coils...etc

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Just to add research cleaning and maintaining your coils because unlike factory coils for sub ohm tanks you can extend the life of your coils by cleaning them and adding fresh wicking material. Many time you can get weeks or even month out of a coil and that saves money for more mods, atomizers, coils...etc

I get at least three months out of rolling my own coils, with dry burning and rewicking

I get really mad when one doesn't last at least three months

joha_wa_alhimar

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My two cents:

You can definitely start with premade coils. I personally started buying coils from Advanced Vape Supply before I decided to try doing my own one day. And single coils are a bit easier, but only barely imo.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
My two cents:

You can definitely start with premade coils. I personally started buying coils from Advanced Vape Supply before I decided to try doing my own one day. And single coils are a bit easier, but only barely imo.

I think single coil is significantly easier IME - no time wasted trying to get the ohms of two coils to match perfectly, lol

But that could be from my lame builds, as I always do my own wraps

joha_wa_alhimar

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think single coil is significantly easier IME - no time wasted trying to get the ohms of two coils to match perfectly, lol

But that could be from my lame builds, as I always do my own wraps
I have my handy dandy coil wrapping kit, which helps. But yeah, if the coils come premade, it's definitely easier since you know they're at least the same number of wraps without having to count them. I also space all of my coils, so getting them to glow evenly is a breeze.

This having been said, I almost exclusively vape single coil.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I have my handy dandy coil wrapping kit, which helps. But yeah, if the coils come premade, it's definitely easier since you know they're at least the same number of wraps without having to count them. I also space all of my coils, so getting them to glow evenly is a breeze.

I only have one double going right now, been that way for at least a year, maybe longer

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Premade coils are great to start out on when moving to an rda, you can get kits with a variety of coils in them on Amazon. Coil wrapping with regular round wire isn’t too hard and once you get the hang up you can knock out a set in under 5min...I spend more time getting stuff out and putting it away than actually making the coils lol. My first single coil Squonk rda was a Dead Rabbit and it’s still one of my favorites, it’s easy to get setup and the flavor is great. Good luck with squonking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It really is a lot easier than people think. YouTube is a good resource when learning how to use an rda. Then come back here with questions. Good luck ;)

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, another alternative (although it is dual coil,) the Goat RDA is a good starting rda for stopping or squonking. It uses premade wrapped and prewicked coil heads. All you have to do, is when it needs rewicking, pull out the cotton, dry burn thecoils and rewick them. With good maintenance you can use the same coil head for like 3 months. When the coils are bad for good, you can just order another coil head.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, my very first mod/attie after cigalikes was an REO squonker with Chalice III clone

The seller built the coil and installed it for me; when it finally wore out many, many months later, I got some wire and used the worn out one as a model, and made the new coil as a direct comparison. I built that way for at least a year, lol

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The aspire feedlink mod squonk into a tank with premaid coil the arc coil maybe. It's a disc. Single 18650 battery mod
Im new to this and got one of these. It's a mech squonk so I made sure and got a couple of decent batteries for it, (New Sony VTC5A). I haven't used the atty that came with it. I got a Drop solo RDA for a single coil build. A freind made and sent me a fralien coil that's .15Ω The more I use this thing, the more I love it. I need more squonks in my life...and RDAs lol :D. I love variety and I've avoided this style of vape for far too long.

Eightvape was selling the kits for $20 durring that sale. Everybody else wanted $45+. I'd check there if you're interested. I'm no expert but it works nice and seems well built. It feels good in the hand too. I don't think I'd like a boxy looking one as much.

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Im new to this and got one of these. It's a mech squonk so I made sure and got a couple of decent batteries for it, (New Sony VTC5A). I haven't used the atty that came with it. I got a Drop solo RDA for a single coil build. A freind made and sent me a fralien coil that's .15Ω The more I use this thing, the more I love it. I need more squonks in my life...and RDAs lol :D. I love variety and I've avoided this style of vape for far too long.

Eightvape was selling the kits for $20 durring that sale. Everybody else wanted $45+. I'd check there if you're interested. I'm no expert but it works nice and seems well built. It feels good in the hand too. I don't think I'd like a boxy looking one as much.

Squonking was a total game changer for me, I love the cheaper box style mech squonkers lol. Good choice on batteries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's solid Pastorfuzz.

I was shocked when I first used an rda how much better the vape was. I have one mesh sub-ohm tank that does it's job, it mutes eliquid that I bought and don't really like the flavor. I take it to work and hit it when I'm just trying to get my nic fix and move on.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Find myself in this same boat. A person can out vape dual coils with a single if they apply a little patience to learn, trial and error. Once a person has their particular sweet spot, don't bother locking the bank because it's priceless.

At one point most of us were intimidated with building coils.

Yes, I was at first. Then, I caught a glimpse of how someone else did it in the flesh. Sat and looked up some Youtube videos, got some wire, started building junk coils. Now, I still might build some junk coils. :) More than not though they suit me fine. Been having real fun learning the art of wire twisting, wrapping using the ... *drum roll* drill. On one hand it seems to help, on the other goofy me becomes uncoordinated too easily, ergo befouling myself. May need to build a guide jig set up. Not sure yet. Debating weather or not if I want to step it up another level.

*jots down internal record according to policy, notes, moves on*

Last edited:

VU Sponsors