Become a Patron!

How to get to .25ohms

EquivalentExchange

Member For 3 Years
I'm struggling to get to .25ohms no matter what I do. All my builds end up at the .15 range and per ohms law I should be no lower than .17 but I'd like to be closer to .25ohms myself. I have 24g stainless steel and kanthal as well as 22g stainless steel and I'm not sure what to do. Is there a good number of wraps I should aim for? I always thought more wraps made it go up but I'm at like 9 wraps each coil 24g stainless steel and end up at .15 on my Kennedy 25. I understand Ohms Law but what I don't seem to understand is what gets to a desired ohm, like what wires work best, thickness, type of metal. I just can't seem to get it down. Can anyone give me some good guidance?

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
SS has less resistance than Kanthal and you need more wraps to achieve the same ohm coil as you would with Kanthal. If you are running dual coil and want a .25 build then you need two .5 ohm coils which would be like, 10-11 wraps each.

Try running the 24g SS in parallel with some claptons

Or just run a single SS coil if that is an option. A single SS 24g coil at 6 wraps at 3mm ID would put you around .25ish ohms

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'm struggling to get to .25ohms no matter what I do. All my builds end up at the .15 range and per ohms law I should be no lower than .17 but I'd like to be closer to .25ohms myself. I have 24g stainless steel and kanthal as well as 22g stainless steel and I'm not sure what to do. Is there a good number of wraps I should aim for? I always thought more wraps made it go up but I'm at like 9 wraps each coil 24g stainless steel and end up at .15 on my Kennedy 25. I understand Ohms Law but what I don't seem to understand is what gets to a desired ohm, like what wires work best, thickness, type of metal. I just can't seem to get it down. Can anyone give me some good guidance?
24G kenthal dual coil 3mm ID 6/5 wraps
24G SS 316L dual coil 3mm ID 11/10 wraps
22G SS 316L dual coil 3mm ID 17/16 wraps
use steam engine it's a great site
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?mat=ss316l&s=dp&r=0.25&awg=22&id=3

or if you have an android phone download vapetool

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
26 Guage kanthal parallel coils 6/7 wraps 2.5mm ID. should put you around .25-.28
9/8 wraps
7/6 would be a .2 according to steam engine.
plus he doesn't have any 26 gauge

faeker1

Member For 4 Years
ah, didn't see his gauge. I wrapped mine 6 full 7 half to get where mine is. definitely didn't do 8/9.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
ah, didn't see his gauge. I wrapped mine 6 full 7 half to get where mine is. definitely didn't do 8/9.
leg length plays a factor. as does the quality of wire itself. steam engine is a guide but not 100% accurate. also mods aren't 100% accurate either

faeker1

Member For 4 Years
yup. just gotta watch the ohms and get it as close as possible if not exact. I love using parallel coils more than most. easy to crack out a few in an hour and they work great.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
yup. just gotta watch the ohms and get it as close as possible if not exact. I love using parallel coils more than most. easy to crack out a few in an hour and they work great.
glad your knowing your limits. but i would really like to know which batteries you have ;)

faeker1

Member For 4 Years
I'd have to double check but there's 5 Sony, 2 LG, 3 imren, and 3 wolf. range from 2500 mah to 3500. I use regulated mods though. I cheat.

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'd have to double check but there's 5 Sony, 2 LG, 3 imren, and 3 wolf. range from 2500 mah to 3500. I use regulated mods though. I cheat.
With regulated mods resistance doesn't matter for amp draw. Only thing that matters is the watt settings. I'd lose the imren and Wolf batts. What watts do u vape at? Also parallel is kinda pointless for regulated mods.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

faeker1

Member For 4 Years
those brands are back ups more or less. I vape at various Watts. depends on what tank/rda I'm using. I go from 40 Watts up to 100 Watts any given time of day. I think parallels are only pointless if you don't enjoy the vape you get from them. I've gotten away from using pre-built coils for my tanks too. I hate the tfv8 smok coils. just not worth the expense to me. I typically use claptons in it and my Gemini. I use parallels in my 2 rda's. the main reason i use them is for their traits; great contact coverage and lower ohms for their size. I'm about to take my tugboat apart to see why it stopped firing so once I fix that I'll have my one unregulated mod back hahaha.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
those brands are back ups more or less. I vape at various Watts. depends on what tank/rda I'm using. I go from 40 Watts up to 100 Watts any given time of day. I think parallels are only pointless if you don't enjoy the vape you get from them. I've gotten away from using pre-built coils for my tanks too. I hate the tfv8 smok coils. just not worth the expense to me. I typically use claptons in it and my Gemini. I use parallels in my 2 rda's. the main reason i use them is for their traits; great contact coverage and lower ohms for their size. I'm about to take my tugboat apart to see why it stopped firing so once I fix that I'll have my one unregulated mod back hahaha.
Lol I probably should be more detailed. For the batteries if one is actually 3500mah it can't be more then 10 amps. Vaping that at 100 watts would exceed the battery limit. So please be careful if u plan on keeping them.

As far as parallels go if u like the vape go for it. The reason I say pointless is because people did parallels for mechs to lower resistance because for mechs the voltage is fixed so power and ramp up is decided by mass and resistance. Doing paralleles was a way to increase mass while lowering resistance.

For regulated mods ramp up is your vape production is decided my mass and wattage. Wattage is adjustable so using the same mass as your paralleles with a single coil would do the same thing.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol I probably should be more detailed. For the batteries if one is actually 3500mah it can't be more then 10 amps. Vaping that at 100 watts would exceed the battery limit. So please be careful if u plan on keeping them.

As far as parallels go if u like the vape go for it. The reason I say pointless is because people did parallels for mechs to lower resistance because for mechs the voltage is fixed so power and ramp up is decided by mass and resistance. Doing paralleles was a way to increase mass while lowering resistance.

For regulated mods ramp up is your vape production is decided my mass and wattage. Wattage is adjustable so using the same mass as your paralleles with a single coil would do the same thing.

Electrically you might be correct....... but vapor production and flavorwise.....coil mass and size do still matter. Ohm may not matter but now mass and size almost matter more.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Electrically you might be correct....... but vapor production and flavorwise.....coil mass and size do still matter. Ohm may not matter but now mass and size almost matter more.

Lol that's exactly what I said ;)

EquivalentExchange

Member For 3 Years
Im still struggling to get things to .25. Safety is the most important thing to me and I've studied ohms law and understand it rather well. What I don't quite understand is how to build, like I know how to checks ohms but I struggle with knowing what builds will get me a desired .25 build. I have so much wire but I'd prefer to stay around 6 wraps because any more and it still gets hot or I feel like it takes too much out of my batteries to give me much. I'm using authentic batteries, and I have solid mech mods. I just can't seem get get myself to that sweet spot. I'd prefer not to have 12 wraps of kanthal on each side. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

EquivalentExchange

Member For 3 Years
I've tried parallel coils but these have to be for sub ohming, 5 parallel wraps got me to .08 of SS 316L.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Im still struggling to get things to .25. Safety is the most important thing to me and I've studied ohms law and understand it rather well. What I don't quite understand is how to build, like I know how to checks ohms but I struggle with knowing what builds will get me a desired .25 build. I have so much wire but I'd prefer to stay around 6 wraps because any more and it still gets hot or I feel like it takes too much out of my batteries to give me much. I'm using authentic batteries, and I have solid mech mods. I just can't seem get get myself to that sweet spot. I'd prefer not to have 12 wraps of kanthal on each side. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
use steam-engine.org to plan your build.
If you wanted say .25 ohms and you wanted parallels with kanthal wire you can use 26 guage, 7 wraps, 3mm ID dual parallel coils and it would come out around .25

EquivalentExchange

Member For 3 Years
Dual 24 kanthal 3ID 6 wrap (6/5) should bring you to around 0.25
If dual coil is just two regularly wrapped coils than I must be doing something wrong. I can't get anywhere close to .25. Hell I just did 9wraps for each coils of 316 22g SS and got .14 . No idea what I'm missing.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We've all responded to you a number of times when you ask this same question

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html

EquivalentExchange

Member For 3 Years
We've all responded to you a number of times when you ask this same question

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html
I don't know why I never clicked on that. It's insanely easy to read. Thanks for sharing it again and thanks to everyone who shared it in the first place. From what I can see my leg length is an issue. The Kennedy 25mm has the bottom airflow so close to the posts that I assume I should have it right above them, maybe I need to raise the coils up a little higher giving me more leg length. You guys are great! Appreciate all the information!

516_vaper_li

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If dual coil is just two regularly wrapped coils than I must be doing something wrong. I can't get anywhere close to .25. Hell I just did 9wraps for each coils of 316 22g SS and got .14 . No idea what I'm missing.

Why don't you go to a local vape shop and show them the issue. Maybe they can assist you.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know why I never clicked on that. It's insanely easy to read. Thanks for sharing it again and thanks to everyone who shared it in the first place. From what I can see my leg length is an issue. The Kennedy 25mm has the bottom airflow so close to the posts that I assume I should have it right above them, maybe I need to raise the coils up a little higher giving me more leg length. You guys are great! Appreciate all the information!
Optimal leg length is zero........ legs are lost ohms... longer the legs the lower the efficiency.

The correct lenth to use is the resulting length you get when the coils are positioned where you want them.

VU Sponsors