Become a Patron!

How to keep juice crackling?

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know when you've just rebuilt an atty afresh, for a few hours it crackles and spits on your tongue when you fire? I love this, the atty feels "lively", but after a while it stops doing it. Anybody knows a coil/wick job, or perhaps something to add to the juice, that would keep the crackling going longer?

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thought I'd offer a suggestion before I have to go. Perhaps replace your cotton more often and dry burn your coil ?

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah yes well, I forgot to mention, I only use silica rope for wicking. It ain't so easy to change :)

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah yes well, I forgot to mention, I only use silica rope for wicking. It ain't so easy to change :)
Good morning. Why do you only use silica - are you allergic to organic cotton? It's actually easier to work with than silica

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I use silica on all my builds. I also use ribbon wire. I barely touch the ribbon to the silica. That gives me plenty of crackling.The cleaner the juice, the longer the crackling lasts.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This may be silly, but I always thought that happened with fresh battery power and air bubbles in the atomizer:)

SouthPhilly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice fresh battery and a little extra juice (if your dripping) always works for me.

And to think... i started vaping to quit smoking.... now i need a bigger box.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good morning. Why do you only use silica - are you allergic to organic cotton? It's actually easier to work with than silica

Simple: silica doesn't burn. So I install the wicks and coils together, and I'm done until the coils themselves die and need changing.

If there's one thing that bothers the living hell out of me, it's changing cotton wicks every 2 days - especially on decks with the coils below the edge. And since I've determined long ago that a properly installed silica wick tastes just as good as any other wicking material, it's a no-brainer really.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
what atty are you using? Rdas take two minutes to rewick with cotton, but tank rbas are typically a pain.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
what atty are you using? Rdas take two minutes to rewick with cotton, but tank rbas are typically a pain.

Currently I use Big Drippers. But even on the single coil Mini RDAs I use on my less powerful mods, I install silica wicks because even if it only took 30 seconds to rewick with cotton, it takes zero seconds to NEVER rewick with silica :)

1truk

Member For 4 Years
Thats one of the things I love about Vaping .. What works for you may not for me .. and that's OK. It's all about staying off of the Smokes, and for some of us, we have found a pretty cool hobby. Now back to the original topic. Since you are using Silica, have you tried dry burning and scraping your coil every now and then to remove the buildup? I have found that a fresh battery and a good coil cleaning brings back the snap-crackle-pop.

1truk

Member For 4 Years
The reason I am asking is .. The snap-crackle-pop is the juice boiling and buildup on the coils increases the time it takes the coils to come up to temperature. Also, I've found that with buildup even when your coil is up to temp the grudge inhibits the crackling a bit.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes of course I dry-burn every now and then. The crackling comes back a little, but not for long.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It always seemed to me to be to be related to how tight the wicking was in the coil. Looser-more, tighter-less. As the coil builds up it tightens.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It always seemed to me to be to be related to how tight the wicking was in the coil. Looser-more, tighter-less. As the coil builds up it tightens.

I agree with the OP. I love the crackle of a fresh built atty. A fresh atty, fresh mixed bottle of your favorite juice and a fresh battery is the best vape IMO. I think they hit harder at that point as well, but that could be psychological. The sound of that hot crackle was the best part of a fresh caromizer back in the day too.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For me, sometimes little vape wizard and a few drops of vinegar prolongs the life and livelihood of a coil.

VU Sponsors