Become a Patron!

How to know how big to make the loop?

Vaping_Orchard

Member For 2 Years
Howdy all, So I purchased my very first RDA yesterday, A freakshow. I kinda like it. Kinda not. Did my first build with a coilmaster V3 kit. I am using the Kanthal A1 28 gage that came with it. I also purchased SS 316L 26 Gage Sewell. I did 7 wraps and came it at .28 ohms. Vaping at 45 watts on a G-priv.

Here is my question. How do you know what thickness to wrap the wire? Like the coil jig in the kit has 6 different sizes. But it doesn't match the wire size. It says 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40....Im guessing MM? I used 25 to wrap the coils. I've watched several videos on ohms law, builds, etc but never found one yet that explained how to know the thickness to use when wrapping. Maybe thickness is the wrong word. I don't mean thicknesses of the wire itself...I mean how wise the circle is that you put the cotton through. Does it have to be baised upon the wire u have...or just use whichever?Thanks!

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The numbers on the kit are missing the decimal. So when you see 15, it's 1.5mm, 20 is 2mm, 25 is 2.5mm etc up to 4mm inner diameter. If you see someone say they made a 7wrap coil at 2.5mm or 3mm that's what they're referring to. Gauge and coil wraps help determine resistance.

The bigger the diameter the more resistance at the same number of wraps because the overall amount of wire coiled is a longer length. I'm not sure if there's a specific formula for what works well on what, some people like smaller coils other like larger coils (provided they fit). 2.5mm sounds about right, it really comes down to what fits. The freakshow is only 22mm diameter and it's a 3 post so the coils are offset rather than centered on either side of the posts. That likely reduces how much room you have to work with, bigger coils may struggle to fit.

A smaller deck like that of a kayfun v4/v5 won't really suit 3.5-4mm coils, they're just too big and there's only so much space between the posts. Rda's are usually used direct lung style of inhaling. Too small of a coil means too little wick holding juice. A long deep pull on it may vaporize the juice and dry out the wick possibly burning it before the wick can soak up more juice. Bigger coils mean thicker wicks and more ejuice at the coil to keep up with deeper pulls (inhales).

SS316L is lower resistance than kanthal naturally due to difference of materials. 26g ss316L would be more similar to 22 or 24g kanthal. Some of the coil diameter really comes down to the atty. You don't want to go too big in diameter, it may chance the coil(s) hitting the wall of the cap and shorting. Too small and risk burning the wick with longer/deeper inhales. Try to find some middle ground which it sounds like you've done.

madjaggar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Howdy all, So I purchased my very first RDA yesterday, A freakshow. I kinda like it. Kinda not. Did my first build with a coilmaster V3 kit. I am using the Kanthal A1 28 gage that came with it. I also purchased SS 316L 26 Gage Sewell. I did 7 wraps and came it at .28 ohms. Vaping at 45 watts on a G-priv.

Here is my question. How do you know what thickness to wrap the wire? Like the coil jig in the kit has 6 different sizes. But it doesn't match the wire size. It says 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40....Im guessing MM? I used 25 to wrap the coils. I've watched several videos on ohms law, builds, etc but never found one yet that explained how to know the thickness to use when wrapping. Maybe thickness is the wrong word. I don't mean thicknesses of the wire itself...I mean how wise the circle is that you put the cotton through. Does it have to be baised upon the wire u have...or just use whichever?Thanks!
A lot is preference too. The wider your wrap the higher the ohms. Deck size comes into play also. You don't want a huge build if you have a small deck. If your just starting out you might want them a little bigger so it's easier to thread your cotton. Just remember you might need to put more or less wraps depending on what ohms you want.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

madjaggar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

A lot comes down to preference and what your mod can take. The wider the coil the higher the resistance. Deck size does come into play, if you don't have a lot of room you don't want a wide build. Just remember, if your resistance isn't where your want it you might have to wrap more or less depending on how big the coil is. If your new to building you might want a little bigger build so you can thread your cotton easier.

Don't put too much thought into it. It's really not as hard as some people make it. You'll probably make quite a few coils till you find how you like yours. Same with cotton, I tend to like less cotton than most people. Just remember on cotton to make it just a little snug in the coil. How much you leave to put in your deck will be up to you.

madjaggar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sorry for the double post. It didn't pop up so I wrote it again

VU Sponsors