Become a Patron!

How to make a smooth 70pg/30vg liquid like MrE??? Mine is harsh..

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello,

Ive only made a few batches so far. I'm using NicVape 100mg nic and NicVape PG and VG.

Im using different calculators and getting the same formula for 70/30.

Im trying to make my own Jade Tiger and the main problem I'm having is that it just doesn't have the smooth throaty high pg taste like Mr E. The smoke is thick and taste sweet like it is a higher VG.

The flavor is PG based and so is the nic.

How can I fix it so I don't get the heavy vapor clouds and VG taste?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Welcome to VU.

Is it possible you ended up getting a mislabeled bottle of pg or vg? VG is thicker than PG, PG is just a little thicker than water. Are you using sweetener? Most flavorings are really sweet on their own, imo.

Might help if you could post your recipe, but if it's secret, no worries, just post the total percentages.

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey, thanks for your response. The VG is much thicker than the liquid in the PG bottle.
No secret on the recipe, I can barely stand it right now :) Its harsh on my throat and lungs and makes me tingle a bit. I measure very carefully, mix with the bottle taped to a saws all, and even steeped it a little bit. Here is the recipe I have been using. The flavors are from VapingZone.
Tiger: http://e-liquid-recipes.com/create

Tiger

Nicotine juice 100 mg (100% PG)
12ml
12%

PG dilutant
44ml
44%

VG dilutant
30ml
30%

Total base
86ml
86%

watermelon
5ml
5%

pineapple
4ml
4%

strawberry
3ml
3%

coconut
2ml
2%

Totals
100ml
100%

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So you're shooting for 12mg @70pg right?

I came up with different numbers for your PG/VG (49pg with 25 VG). With that said, I've always gotten a harsher hit with higher pg, but I like it that way, lol. I plugged all the numbers you gave into a juice calculator.

Things you can try in order to narrow down the cause...
Smell the PG/VG. Do they have a strong musty odor?
Taste, vape a flavorless ratio of both.
Then add nic, vape that.
This will help you rule out if one of those items might be off. You can sniff the nic, just don't linger over it, lightly sniff.

Are these TFA flavorings? #s look good for that. If another brand, they could be high.

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like the scientific approach. I just smelled the PG and the VG and it doesn't appear to smell at all.

So, went to next step I mixed 7ml of PG with 3ml of VG and sent it shaking taped to the saws all blade.

I just cleaned my spare tank and put a fresh coil in it. Checking in later with results.

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ok.. the pg/vg only mix seems ok... not much flavor at all.. seems like a good delivery.. amazing it doesn't seem harsh at all.. also cloud dispersal is as i wanted-not thick-just a decent cloud that dispersed well and didn't fall heavy.

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First time I've heard of TFA. I just bookmarked their website.

Most of my flavors are from vapingzone and a few are from nicvape.

The ones Ive been using for the past few days, to try and get a good mix, are all from vapingzone. none of them are marked super concentrated. The are all make concentrated

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so far so good going to make another 10ml with nic... wish me luck!

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
BTW - what do you use for you calculator. Thank you for helping me with this.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sometimes a few days steep can help smooth the roughness out.

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
still trying the without nic blend and it does last a little burnt, not clear and crisp like Mr E. I'm going to try a brand new coil on the next with nic test.

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
coils is soaking up the below:

1.2ml
12%

PG dilutant
5.8ml
58%

VG dilutant
3ml
30%

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ohhhh... Vaping Zone. Though I've not tried theirs I've heard they ARE super concentrates. Thinking of who to tag here... @Heabob, I think uses some of those.

For calculators, I've used the one from where your recipe is linked, but the one I got your numbers from is ejuicemeup. http://ejuice.breaktru.com/ Free download, customize to your needs.

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the calculator. I am using that one from now on.

Tests results are in on the 70/30 with 12 nic...

Still a slight burnt taste, cloud dispersal is good - not thick and heavy cloud. However, I'm getting a huge buzz off this blend of just nic and pg and vg.

Tastes somewhat clean except for the slight burnt overtone nic seems really high compared to my Mr E 12mg 66/33 pg/vg. Should I start testing with.. say a coffee flavor?

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm thinking start at 6% coffee in case its too concentrated:

0.9ml
9%

PG dilutant
5.5ml
55%

VG dilutant
3ml
30%

Total base
9.4ml
94%

coffee
0.6ml
6%

Totals
10ml
100%

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Do they have recommended percentages on their website? Another question, do you have a nic test kit? They're very reasonably priced. I've received nic that tested a bit higher than I ordered. Also, some people have said that they've had to reduce their nicotine levels when mixing, since starting DIY. I don't know if that's due to the quality of the nic, or what the deal is with that, but I've easily reduce my own.

I can't pin point what's giving you the burning. What kind of equipment are you using? Watts/ ohms...

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
just mixed it and going to try it soon. I wanted to note that I was wrong about the flavor.

The flavors I used were bought at vapingzone but most are Delosi which is what I was using and thats what this coffee is.

The other coffee I have is vapingzone and it IS super concentrated with a recommended 2.5% written on the bottle.

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The mod that I use for testing is a praxis maximus with a smok tf4 tank using a clapton smoke coil. I use the same tank/coil in my rx200 and normally run them at 88watts. I tasted the burnt over tone at 40 watts though... go figure... maybe thats just because there is no flavor to mask the normal taste?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
How many ohms? I don't know much about those, LOL. If it tastes burnt over 40, turn it down? LOL I know, sounds so simple, but I don't know what those are able to take. I'd be frustrated with burnt vapes, too. I tweaked the heck out of a coil yesterday.

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
.35 from the website. works great for MrE liquid but it is a lower wattage coil from their line up. I put a link below for their big coils. the clapton is the last one. I have the triple as well and use it at about the same wattage. I'll try messing with the wattage with this new liquid. the coffee taste is just starting to get through. I dumped the tank and poured the coffee mix in since the coil just had no flavor mix in it.

http://www.smoktech.com/atomizer/tfv4-big-family

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
actually I think I bought the delosi at nicotine labs. hard to keep track of all the flavors i bought :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I wish I knew what was happening. As mentioned by efektt above, it might just need time to smooth out. Or you could try a 60pg mix, 50pg...

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
no worries - I have learned a lot and feel way more confident now. I have a running start with all the help on this forum. I'm glad ya'll are out there in cyberspace helping a newbie like me!

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
just an update, nic level is much better at 9 and now that the coffee flavor is coming through, no more burnt overtone. I am pretty buzzed from all the testing so I am going to go at a slightly slower pace now :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
no worries - I have learned a lot and feel way more confident now. I have a running start with all the help on this forum. I'm glad ya'll are out there in cyberspace helping a newbie like me!
We've been there, too and learned from each other. People deserve the vapes how they want them :)

texvape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just checking in. I took my last few batches and steeped them by throwing them in a thermos of hot water and closed the lid. I left them in for a few hours. The next day, I tried it out on no harshness, in fact it is not throaty which is was I like. So now, I am making adjustments to the already 70/30 to have more nic. SO, steeping, as recommended here, has REALLY helped tremendously. Ya'll are great and helped me get my DIY going over the weekend. I also found a site that had the recipe that I was trying to reproduce. I put it below. I'm sure ya'll don't need it as you likely have way more sites :) however putting it down there as it helped me get the recipe and modify it to my liking. Ya'll are great! Thank you!

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/create

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just checking in. I took my last few batches and steeped them by throwing them in a thermos of hot water and closed the lid. I left them in for a few hours. The next day, I tried it out on no harshness, in fact it is not throaty which is was I like. So now, I am making adjustments to the already 70/30 to have more nic. SO, steeping, as recommended here, has REALLY helped tremendously. Ya'll are great and helped me get my DIY going over the weekend. I also found a site that had the recipe that I was trying to reproduce. I put it below. I'm sure ya'll don't need it as you likely have way more sites :) however putting it down there as it helped me get the recipe and modify it to my liking. Ya'll are great! Thank you!

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/create
Oh yay! Glad things are looking up.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the calculator. I am using that one from now on.

Tests results are in on the 70/30 with 12 nic...

Still a slight burnt taste, cloud dispersal is good - not thick and heavy cloud. However, I'm getting a huge buzz off this blend of just nic and pg and vg.

Tastes somewhat clean except for the slight burnt overtone nic seems really high compared to my Mr E 12mg 66/33 pg/vg. Should I start testing with.. say a coffee flavor?
One important thing ,don't know if you are or not doing it or not but just prior to mixing ALWAYS shake your Nic as it does separate from it's base, also always shake your flavorings too.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One important thing ,don't know if you are or not doing it or not but just prior to mixing ALWAYS shake your Nic as it does separate from it's base, also always shake your flavorings too.
I am having such a hard time remembering this I want to label all my bottles with a "shake me" sign haha

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I catch myself shaking my after shave now... :D

I shake everything I use for DIY after seeing shake it in so many posts! When I take out the ingredients they get shaken and when I go to open them they get shaken again and I have even caught myself shaking them when I put them away! I don't shake my after shave though!

:bingo::bingo:

rolf 2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
ok.. the pg/vg only mix seems ok... not much flavor at all.. seems like a good delivery.. amazing it doesn't seem harsh at all.. also cloud dispersal is as i wanted-not thick-just a decent cloud that dispersed well and didn't fall heavy.
using a lot of flavors from vz ! and found that I have to use half of the recommended flavoring !!
your nic is what I am using to ..nice . only difference I am using 50 50 now. (pg vg )
also continue to use less and less nic. at 6% now .
in my opinion , and worth a try, is ...cut flavoring and nic in halv .
just mix your "bad " juice halv and halv with pg vg of your ratio . so you end up with a test sample of half the flavoring and also be at 6 % nic . just a fast way to try if it solves the taste problem with out mixing a complete new badge .

Igotvabies

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In my experience the type and quantity of nicotine is what brings the harshness

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Asif Majeed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Change ur nicotine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Maybe not just the type brand of nicotine could be how much content is in his mix. I do not see any mention of the strength he aimed for.

retrox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nobody has mentioned that many of VZ's flavorings are suspended in ethyl alcohol, and if I'm remembering correctly, not all of them were in the SC line. If you're using any of those, you need to evaporate the alcohol either by heat-steeping your mix or just letting it sit for a couple of days. In either case, leave the cap off for fastest results.

I used VZ's line exclusively a couple of years ago when I first started DIY, and remember that harshness you describe all too well. Had no idea what was going on until someone clued me in to the alcohol thing. Bear in mind that just because a flavoring says it's suspended in PG, it doesn't necessarily mean that there is no alcohol present. Ethyl alcohol is a very common solvent used in the flavoring industry for the extraction process. And apparently some people are more sensitive to its presence in e-liquid than others.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The flavorings I use list exactly what is in each one so if there is alcohol in it I know.

VU Sponsors