Become a Patron!

How to mitigate throat hits?

idjekyll

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When and bought a Cereal flavour juice and big mistake cause it throat hits like a MF. I'm a wimpy fruity menthol fan so you can imagine how I'm suffering from it right now. Any way I can mitigate this issue so the juice don't just end up in the thrash?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
When and bought a Cereal flavour juice and big mistake cause it throat hits like a MF. I'm a wimpy fruity menthol fan so you can imagine how I'm suffering from it right now. Any way I can mitigate this issue so the juice don't just end up in the thrash?
Add some VG. However, you might loose some flavor as well. For future consideration, lower PG, and/or Nicotine helps to soften the throat hit.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Loose the mint, reduce nicotine and PG %, reduce airflow, reduce power, reduce flavoring %

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

petemoss

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'd mix the Cereal juice with pure VG. Then lower the coil til it's 1-1.5mm over the air hole.

DIYjim

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I describe TH as the "thump" of harshness when you inhale. I believe that true TH is from nicotine; PG causes it to a much lesser degree IMO. Coil placement relative to air inlets can affect TH as well. I believe that TH is important with "cigarette recipes" as it is part of an authentic smoking experience IMO. When I just got off the ciggies, {3+ yrs ago} this quality was very important to me. These days, not so much. :)

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
40 years of smoking I never heard of throat hit. Come to vaping I still don't get throat hit. Closest I can come it's the feel you get when you smoke things we don't discuss on this site. It what makes you cough when you smoke.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Cosmic_Glaze

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Temp control can help. If you have a juice that is harsh due to nic levels or pg/Vg ratios, you can set it to be a cooler vape so it's not as harsh or intense....or try opening the air flow more with a lower wattage..

Waffle Baron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I had some juice that was 70 pg and irritated the crap out of my throat, but after changing over to max VG I haven't had that throat hit again

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Coil placement relative to air inlets can affect TH as well.
Very true.
With an RDA that uses air intakes in the side of the top cap, you can rotate the top cap to adjust TH.
In an RTA, you can change the height of your coil above the air inlet to adjust TH.
As others have suggested, you can also add VG to soften TH, but you're basically diluting the liquid so you're diluting the flavor as well. You also have to be careful when adding VG to a liquid you're using in an RTA as it will "thicken" the liquid and can lead to wicking issues which can cause dry hits.
Another option is to buy another bottle of the same flavor in 0mg or a lower mg and mix the two. It will lessen the nicotine level and TH without lessening flavor.

VU Sponsors