Become a Patron!

How to mix small batches of complex recipes & adjust the strength of any recipe

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Some of my recipes include tiny percentages and many flavorings. You can still mix small batches - easily and very accurately - and avoid wasting nicotine base on a new recipe. I do this for my favorite complex recipes. You won't have to mess with tiny percents or fractions of drops:

* Use a little bottle and measure ONLY the flavorings into it. Use drops, or use milliliters, or tenths-of-ml, whatever units you want. A recipe that says 2 drops of X, 7 drops of Y (or 2% of X, 7% of Y) - you measure as 2ml and 7ml, or .2ml and .7ml, or even 4 drops and 14 drops (doubling everything) - doesn't matter, so long as the ratios are the same, and you're using a measuring device that gives you consistent results. For example, 0.25% vanilla with 0.5% cream is just a 1-to-2 ratio of vanilla-to-cream (you can use 1 and 2 drops, or 5 and 10 drops, or 1 and 2 ml, or .1 and .2 ml, etc.)

*Label that bottle "flavoring" plus the recipe name. Use it as you would any single flavoring. Now you can make the recipe with the intended ratios, you can vary the strength to your preference, you can mix tiny batches when you want to vape that flavor, and it'll be exactly the same flavor every time. Your final label might read "Flavoring - Amazing Grapes - use 5%" for example.

I like to mix small batches to vape right away, but I don't want to get out all the bottles and remeasure .00125%! This method saves lots of time and eyestrain.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Thank you! I've been looking for an explanation that was clear and easy to understand.

Also, don't mean to derail, but how does this guide apply to the topic here:
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/tfa-tpa-single-flavor-starting-percentages.979/ Where starting percentages are concerned?

The starting points in that chart are the suggested percent to use if you're mixing that flavor all by itself. "Standalone" or "single flavor" are terms often used for that. You mix just that flavor with your base, try it, adjust the strength to your liking to find your own, personal standalone percentage.

So when you're mixing a recipe, it goes like this. Let's say you like vanilla standalone at 5% and cherry standalone at 8%, and you want to mix the flavors equally. You'd make a mix of 2.5% vanilla and 4% cherry. That would give you half vanilla, half cherry flavor.

But this thread is about those times you're following a recipe that already exists - whether it's one of your own, or one you saw somewhere else. Whoever wrote the recipe has already chosen the flavors, determined their standalone percentages, decided how much of each flavoring to use, and combined them to make the effect they wanted. Maybe it has lots of different ingredients and/or percentages like 0.125%. It's hard to measure such small percentages accurately without making a big batch of juice, so my post is telling you an easy way to try the recipe without making a huge batch of juice and using up lots of nic. It doesn't matter how many ingredients or how tiny the percentages are, you can make a very small batch without wasting nic base this way.

Does that answer the question you had in mind?

vapershane

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also to add to this thread... You can mix down 24mg to 6 12 18 easily with 0 mg. In an empty bottle add half 24 and half 0. You now have 12mg. Or for example ... Add 1/4 bottle of 24 and 3/4 bottle 0 to get 6mg. Add 1/4 omg and 3/4 bottle 24 to get 18mg. I hope this helps. Always be safe even with 24mg.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
An alternate title here could have been "How to mix any recipe at any strength." Although I usually make flavoring bottles like this for the reasons I described above, I also use it for recipes I find that require more flavoring than I care to vape. I mix the flavorings like I described here, then use that flavoring bottle at my usual (low) percentage. No math required.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You taught me this, HIC, and I have a bunch of little bottles now mixed as bases - labelled e.g. 'Frangipane use at x%' This has made my DIY so easy and saves washing out all those syringes all the time!

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What effect does this have on liquids that need steeping? I'm assuming the steep-clock starts running, but I've been wrong about this type of thing before. Does the later addition of PG / VG / Nic change overall steep times?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
What effect does this have on liquids that need steeping? I'm assuming the steep-clock starts running, but I've been wrong about this type of thing before. Does the later addition of PG / VG / Nic change overall steep times?

The 'steep-clock' doesn't start running until nicotine is added, just like any other bottle of flavoring.

And thank goodness, because I almost always prefer fresh-mixed flavor.

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good to know. I've got a recipe I mix for my wife and a couple of friends that's pretty complex, but it tends to lose flavor after three weeks or a month. I'll give this a try and see if it works out for me. Thanks!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Good to know. I've got a recipe I mix for my wife and a couple of friends that's pretty complex, but it tends to lose flavor after three weeks or a month. I'll give this a try and see if it works out for me. Thanks!

Make a note back here telling us how it worked for you, if you remember.

If you're really a cave diver, you're my new hero. Coolest job EVER!

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is a great tip - one thing to consider though, is the inaccuracy of "drops" as units of measurement...
If you use a pipette for all your drops, it's fine - as the OP stated, it's the RATIO that's important.
But drops from a flavor from one vendor's bottle could be 25% more than drops from another vendor's bottle...depending on the liquid and the tip, etc...

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is a great tip - one thing to consider though, is the inaccuracy of "drops" as units of measurement...
If you use a pipette for all your drops, it's fine - as the OP stated, it's the RATIO that's important.
But drops from a flavor from one vendor's bottle could be 25% more than drops from another vendor's bottle...depending on the liquid and the tip, etc...

I bought a bunch of empty 3ml bottles from Pure Vapes, and when I'm using drops I use these bottles. It makes it really fast to test a new recipe. When I'm making up a big batch I use syringes, but these bottles are a lifesaver for quick mixes!

disco180

Member For 4 Years
Here's a tip that everyone should remember.......When mixing flavors A+B=C not A+B=AB. A lot of times when first starting to DIY you try to mix a apple and a cherry to make apple cherry, but in reality you are making a total new flavor which consist of apple and cherry.... In order to make a real apple cherry you would have to mix a standalone apple with a standalone cherry...... When you mix straight flavor concentrates the flavor notes in one will start to affect the flavor notes in another when it starts to mature overtime (steeps).

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Here's a tip that everyone should remember.......When mixing flavors A+B=C not A+B=AB. A lot of times when first starting to DIY you try to mix a apple and a cherry to make apple cherry, but in reality you are making a total new flavor which consist of apple and cherry.... In order to make a real apple cherry you would have to mix a standalone apple with a standalone cherry...... When you mix straight flavor concentrates the flavor notes in one will start to affect the flavor notes in another when it starts to mature overtime (steeps).

disco, are you saying that two finished bottles of juice with identical ingredients can taste different, depending on the order the ingredients were mixed?

Can you post an example with flavorings/percents/mixing order so I can try? If I end up with 2 bottles of identical ingredients that taste different, that could radically change my whole approach to DIY, maybe open up new opportunities.

SeniorBoy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
disco, are you saying that two finished bottles of juice with identical ingredients can taste different, depending on the order the ingredients were mixed?
Can you post an example with flavorings/percents/mixing order so I can try? If I end up with 2 bottles of identical ingredients that taste different, that could radically change my whole approach to DIY, maybe open up new opportunities.

What Disco is talking about is the INTERACTION between two flavors in his example and the resultant NEW flavor. The order of the mix of flavors has zilch to do with it, assuming your shaking and or let them settle, and or steeping. :)

So for example, in my last effort, I tasted Orange Cream alone and said yea, that's pretty yummy kinda rich but not overpowering. The orange is understated. Then I tasted Tangerine alone and said, wow, I don't like the edge of the flavor and it's a dominant tone kinda gal but I'm striving for a slightly understated flavor so I need to see how these two flavors play together. BINGO! A brand new flavor which could not be duplicated in either of the components or for most cases, in a single flavor.

HTH
:)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
What Disco is talking about is the INTERACTION between two flavors in his example and the resultant NEW flavor.

I'm on the same page as you, SeniorBoy. But this part of Disco's comment sounds like he's saying something very different:

"...you would have to mix a standalone apple with a standalone cherry...... When you mix straight flavor concentrates the flavor notes in one will start to affect the flavor notes in another when it starts to mature"

Mixing flavoring #1 with nic and flavoring #2 with nic, then combining the results -- versus -- mixing flavoring #1 with flavoring #2, then adding nic.

I use both methods with identical results, so (if I understood him right!) I want to try what he did.

SeniorBoy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Yes, I finally see the confusion in the Disco post. /lol

Like I already don't have enough issues to consider. /lol

Good luck. I admire your motivation but for better or worse I'm not changing. My way: The FINAL/FINISHED flavor of the total finished mix will be the same regardless of which method or methods you use. Assuming your using the same flavors, the same PG/VG, the same NIC and allowing for melding/settling/steeping. I'm not a chemist and I don't know any molecules by first name but all that ever matters to I believe all of us is the finiished mix flavor. Good luck :)

Where is Disco????

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
The FINAL/FINISHED flavor of the total finished mix will be the same regardless of which method or methods you use.

That has always been my belief and experience, too. But I am eager to try any experiment Disco says will demonstrate otherwise.

disco180

Member For 4 Years
I am here, I had to go to work (not an e-juice seller).

What I was trying to explain is that if you mix a fully steeped single flavor (no nic) with another fully steeped single flavor (no nic). You will have a mix consisting of 2 flavors that will stay themselves, for example a a apple/cherry mix. You will only have to figure out how much of one compared to the other to mix for the taste you are looking for. While on the other hand when you mix flavor concentrates together and add your VG/NIC/PG the flavor molecules will start to fight for occupation within the carrier molecules (PG/VG) and once all the space is taken up over time the final result will be a new flavor instead of apple/cherry you will have a (insert name) flavor that is made up of apple and cherry.

For a ref look here: http://typeandimage.blogspot.com/2010/11/map-flavor.html

This shows how one flavor is made up of 10 types of molecules, remember this is how artificial flavors are made. So when you mix the concentrates together and let steep (heat, etc) the 10 types all change and begin to make a new flavor cause the flavor profile changes to something else.

One last thing because I am rambling, if you are a shake and vape type of person you can mix, shake and vape and it will taste like what you were trying to accomplish. Now as the mix sits for awhile, the flavor profile will change and it will become different or maybe even unvapeable. Thats why when following recipes from people in the forums you have to know if they are shake and vapers or steepers because a shake and vape recipe will not taste like what the shake and vape person intended if you steep it.... Sorry for the long post

disco180

Member For 4 Years
So I just wanted to finish this whole thing off before I go.....So you can see from the link that I gave you that these artificial flavors are made with molecules instead of the actual flavors, so don't limit yourself thinking of flavors as real....meaning your flavors may sound like they shouldn't compliment each other like cola and bacon w/ lemon but they just might because really you are manipulating molecules to form a taste. So don't limit, try everything now this is a food pairing chart that has been posted in DIY sections alot you can use as a guide.. remember these are real food pairing and we are working mostly with artificial .Just mix, try, and try again

http://nouveauraw.com/raw-recipe-templates-and-development/flavor-prfiles-that-pair-well-in-recipes/

SeniorBoy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
@Disco! :)

OK I get it and will experiment. Thanks much for thinking outside the box. So....flamingoes are going to fly around my mixing station? The final final taste of the mix will be different using your way than the "conventional way"???

BTW...the only tip I have for a thread already filled with great tips is this: I used to struggle with a small number of drops in a test batch plastic bottle. Sometimes I would miss the bottle, it would dribble down the side or hang up on the inside of the bottle. I'm older than most so be kind /LOL

Issue solved: I use a beaker and funnel for my mixes that call for drops. Stir as I go, then bingo with the funnel into the final container. I hold the flavor bottle upside down and produce one drop for practice away from the beaker and then I'm ready for the real deal.

HTH
:)

memvapr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Disco, genius is almost always the case of someone stating the obvious that most of us miss. You just solved a real puzzle for me in that I have noticed several recipes that tasted great when I mixed at 3ml and vaped fresh were great, but making a larger batch and coming back to it a week later or longer... not so much.

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well ....now I'm all screwed up :eek:
I always stay well ahead of myself in the mixing department .. everything is at least 4 weeks old.
I don't have the time to drag out ingredients, and mix daily ...to get the "true" flavor other than tobaccos that need to steep.
I usually mix in batches of 12-15 bottles at a time, then I'm done for a while.
I've never vaped anything "fresh"

I'm thinking now, that mixing up a bottle of the flavorings only, and then adding it to the premixed base when wanted, is maybe the way to go.
I'll have to try that with a few favorite recipes, and re-try a few recipes that "didn't turn out right" .. maybe "steeping" was the problem, not the mix of flavors.
I could just add each the flavoring and base right into the tank the day I used it, because it would all be "ready to go .. just mix in the tank and go.
I vape about 8 different flavors throughout the day ... I'll have to think about this
I've only tried my "recipes" after steeping, so I would have to go back through all of them and test each one fresh compared to steeped.
WOW .. this is turning into a big project :confused:

memvapr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Maybe I'm over thinking it. I just notice that sometimes when a batch is young, I get a complex balance of flavors where some might be pronounced during the inhale with others at the exhale. But... after a week or more it becomes amorphous with a single predominant note and not always the one I was striving for. If Disco is correct, that flavor molecules recompose from individually bound molecules into a new composition of bound molecules, that might explain this phenomenon. Or... perhaps I just used too high a percentage of mushroom in my last batch ;)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Maybe I'm over thinking it. I just notice that sometimes when a batch is young, I get a complex balance of flavors where some might be pronounced during the inhale with others at the exhale. But... after a week or more it becomes amorphous with a single predominant note and not always the one I was striving for. If Disco is correct, that flavor molecules recompose from individually bound molecules into a new composition of bound molecules, that might explain this phenomenon. Or... perhaps I just used too high a percentage of mushroom in my last batch ;)

All of that "effect" is called steeping, or aging.
Shrooms?? Now that might be a umm vape all by it's self.. Shroom Tea! :D

memvapr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, I know what it is... I'm trying to grasp why it is. I'm a skeptic by nature, so I'm always looking for empirical data to back up anecdotal claims.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
have you ever baked cookies?
they smell and taste fantastic once they are made, right?
but imagine if they sat for a while.. what would happen?
the chemicals we blend into flavored juices do the same.. they change..

why? *giggles.. but it is fascinating.. :)

memvapr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
SB, great example. We know that if you leave the cookies baking too long, they become encrusted with carbon and taste bad. We also know that if we do not cook them long enough, they are mush. By understanding the concept of under-cooked/over-cooked we work out optimal oven temps and duration based on how soft/firm we prefer. By further understanding the chemical interplay of the ingredients, we understand how to vary this between other factors like oven characteristics (convection vs conventional), bakery locations (sea level, vs high-altitudes), etc.

Or... you can just buy Oreos...

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It takes no time at all to mix fresh juice if you've got a ready made nic base. I make up a 7mg nic base. I know my FA Pure Vapes bottles at 0.5%/6ml. So to make up a fresh bottle for my Reo, I take a small vial with measurements on it, pop in the flavor drops from the bottles, fill up with my nic base to the 6ml line, and it's done.

I also make up flavor bases, so if I want to make a bigger bottle it's very fast to add, say, 6% flavoring to my premade nic base.

Some of my mixes are good immediately after mixing, some need to wait a day or two. For tobacco bases I pop in the crockpot for 4 hours, and they're done!

disco180

Member For 4 Years
I wonder if the major juice makers have a chemical that stops the aging process so that you can lock in a flavor where you want it with out it becoming to strong if the percentage was to high

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I wonder if the major juice makers have a chemical that stops the aging process so that you can lock in a flavor where you want it with out it becoming to strong if the percentage was to high

A cold, dark spot in the fridge or freezer basically does that.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

even in fridges and freezers.. there is no way to stop the steeping/aging.. it retards or slows down, but will not completely stop it.

GlycerinHack

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for all the info it kinda hurts my head it happens when gray matter wrinkles, but i did find some flavors that might pair well to gather. :confused:

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Make a note back here telling us how it worked for you, if you remember.
The good, the bad, and the ugly.

The good:
This seems to have worked out pretty well. I made a 30ml bottle of pre-mix flavor over a month ago, and, after the initial round of mixes, I finally got around to mixing another small bottle for comparison. Now I need to drag out the original recipe and make a new bottle to see if there are any differences between old, newly-mixed old pre-mix, and a brand new bottle...

The bad:
FA Forest. It's taken over the spot this recipe held for so long.

The ugly:
I still have 15ml of a pre-mix flavor I'll probably never use :D
Oh well. I'll keep it in the pantry as an experiment, and maybe see if these results are the same in five more months :)

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, this "molecule science" has gone round and round in my head ... I do understand it, but in my case, all of my mixes are steeped because I always mix well ahead of my use. So ... it's not going to change the way I mix for myself. All of my mixes are small test sizes to start with.
So after steeping, (when the molecules get done playing around), if I don't like it or think I need more of this and less of that, ..I "tweak" the recipe the next time, until I end up with what I like.

As SeniorBoy says ..."My way: The FINAL/FINISHED flavor of the total finished mix will be the same regardless of which method or methods you use. Assuming your using the same flavors, the same PG/VG, the same NIC and allowing for melding/settling/steeping."

I can see there would/could be a difference between fresh and steeped, but mine are ALL steeped so like SB, it won't change the end product for me ..that's the one I will always do the adjusting too.

Gives a person something to think about, though, just won't apply to the way I mix
Now HIC's premixing the flavors only .... that will be a time saver, and will help me out a lot :p
Great conversation guys ... love the "input"

disco180

Member For 4 Years
This is from the FA website (Excepts):

If you are adding just one flavour to your eliquid, once you have given it a good shake you can vape it. The flavour might develop a little more over time but I have found it is hardly discernible.

When mixing flavourings together to create a new flavour, I always work with the flavour concentrates first and I might mix many recipes until I smell that it's right, then I allow the concentrates to steep and develop - flavourings react with each other to produce new background flavours. The goal is to be able to recognize the original flavours but to also taste the background flavours that are created and which fill in the gaps.

If you are blending concentrates to create a new flavour, make small samples first and allow them to steep at least a few days; sweet flavours are usually fully-steeped in 7 days but tobacco flavours tend to take 14 to 21 days to fully mature, that's where patience comes into its own! More complex blends using 5 to 10 flavour concentrates also take longer to develop. Only when they are ready would I try some in eliquid to test how they vape.

Full Text is here: http://www.flavourart.co.uk/eliquid-mixing-guide.html

This is simply what I was talking about mixing flavors together to develop new flavors its a simple explanation without getting into molecules and pairing (nerd technical jargon).

neotrin2000

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't understand these "nic bases" you all talk about. I mean you can't mix a 100Ml batch of pg/vg/nic (pg based) down to say 3Mg/Ml and then use it to make a 10Ml bottle of juice and then use it again to make another bottle of a different flavor because the pg/vg ratio will be different per bottle. Especially if bottle 1s mix consists of 4 different flavors and bottle 2 consists of 7 and the flavors are pg based as well. I mean you'd have a ratio of 70pg/30vg (depending) when what you wanted was 50/50. So again, I dont see how you can make a nic base.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't understand these "nic bases" you all talk about. I mean you can't mix a 100Ml batch of pg/vg/nic (pg based) down to say 3Mg/Ml and then use it to make a 10Ml bottle of juice and then use it again to make another bottle of a different flavor because the pg/vg ratio will be different per bottle. Especially if bottle 1s mix consists of 4 different flavors and bottle 2 consists of 7 and the flavors are pg based as well. I mean you'd have a ratio of 70pg/30vg (depending) when what you wanted was 50/50. So again, I dont see how you can make a nic base.

Actually you can - and I do this all the time. The reason for this is because my flavorings probably average around 6% total. Whether I use 2 flavors or 10 flavors, they rarely go below 4% or above 8% as a total. So whether it's 4% or 8% the difference is negligible. I make my base 70pg/30vg, and anything extra in the pg from the flavorings is a bonus to me. I also make my base at 7mg, so that puts me in the ballpark of around 6mg+ final result. Make sense?

Last edited:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I dunno what i mixed but calling it bastard in bottle.
Seriously made like 8 mixes this morning and this one was the first and lost track what I was putting in..
cinnamon spice, brown sugar extra and kona with fruits.. just is a bastard mix of stuff and not one flavor stands out overly much.

Will teach me to mix pre coffee.

I am not even sure I put nic in it. might add a few mg just to make sure but still it is confounding me to hell what is in it.

Last edited:

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish I could remember where I read this - a blog post from a juice manufacturer at least a year ago. It was very entertaining, basically explained there was a tray of eliquids mixed up and everytime they walked by, they'd pour different combinations together; 1+11+25+19+31 etc. When something was a "hit" they'd reverse engineer it. That's how they created their flavors. I always wanted to try that.

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish I could remember where I read this - a blog post from a juice manufacturer at least a year ago. It was very entertaining, basically explained there was a tray of eliquids mixed up and everytime they walked by, they'd pour different combinations together; 1+11+25+19+31 etc. When something was a "hit" they'd reverse engineer it. That's how they created their flavors. I always wanted to try that.

I have a tank that I keep adding the last of the "dribbles" too, from the others when they are almost empty.
Sometimes it tastes better than the DIY mix I'm vaping :confused:
At least I've come up with some good recipes from mixes I never thought of. :p

danjc

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey HIC just had to sign up to ask you a noob question after following all your work (recipe's) excellent stuff .

My question is, in many of your recipes you use 0.5% and 0.75% if I put these into a juice calculator they both come up as 1 drop same as 1%,
When trying out a new recipe I make 5ml of e-juice I don't mix the concentrates first so am I right in thinking that I treat all as 1 drop like the e juice calculator says?
(I want to make recipes exactly as they are written)
Thanks for any reply

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Hey HIC just had to sign up to ask you a noob question after following all your work (recipe's) excellent stuff .

My question is, in many of your recipes you use 0.5% and 0.75% if I put these into a juice calculator they both come up as 1 drop same as 1%,
When trying out a new recipe I make 5ml of e-juice I don't mix the concentrates first so am I right in thinking that I treat all as 1 drop like the e juice calculator says?
(I want to make recipes exactly as they are written)
Thanks for any reply

Hi Dan,

This is how I do it when I'm using drops; it works for all my recipes and avoids the calculators:

I use droppers that make ~33 drops per ml.
If there is no ingredient with fractions of a percent, I start with 3ml of my diluted nic base and measure flavoring as 1 drop = 1%
If there is no ingredient with less than 0.5%, I start with 6ml of my diluted nic base and measure flavoring as 1 drop = 0.5%
If there any ingredients with 0.25%, I start with 12ml of my diluted nic base and measure flavoring as 1 drop = 0.25%

I find this so easy, I don't ever use those juice recipe calculators. The real key is the drops per ml. Measure a few of your droppers (or syringes, or whatever you're using). If you have something that makes about 33, you're all set; just use it for all the flavorings in that recipe. If not, tell me how many drops/ml your droppers/syringes make, and I'll write out the easiest way for you to mix with the equipment you already have.

One kink I run into is when I want to make a small batch but there are some tiny percents in the recipe. In that case, I sometimes mix together only the flavorings (as if I'm making a 12ml or larger batch), then add a single drop of that to 3ml of my nic base to try it at 3% total flavoring (2 drops for 6%, etc.) That's what I described at the start of this thread.

Does any of that help, Dan? If you're stuck on a particular recipe, let me know which one (here or PM is fine), and I can tell you how to do it in drops

danjc

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi HIC thanks for the reply.
The pipettes I use are 20 drops per 1ml and I don't know if its the same in the US but here in the UK FlavourArt and FAP have dropper bottles that also drop 20 per 1ml.
If I mix this way would this alter the nic content

I have used your method for mixing the flavour concentrates, do I add these to the base at the total % of the complete recipe (a bit confusing to discribe) to match how the recipe was intended

So far I have attempted to make your
Orange tic tac
Coco cookies
Cherry coke
White tic tac
Vanilla nut coffee
And I must say I have really enjoyed all,
but this diy juice mixing has opened a whole can of worms and made me a bit... let's say ocd,
I want to make them the way you intended.

Sorry to fire so many questions all at once
and thanks again.
Dan

VU Sponsors