Become a Patron!

How to mix small batches of complex recipes & adjust the strength of any recipe

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I have used your method for mixing the flavour concentrates, do I add these to the base at the total % of the complete recipe (a bit confusing to discribe) to match how the recipe was intended

Yes! Exactly! :)
You probably can stop reading here; my rambling below just explains why this will work well for you.

The pipettes I use are 20 drops per 1ml and I don't know if its the same in the US but here in the UK FlavourArt and FAP have dropper bottles that also drop 20 per 1ml.

Those are also easy to work with, a good round number. And now I understand your complaint about the calculator! A single drop of flavoring per 5 ml, assuming 20 drops/ml, is 1%. You CAN'T make a 5ml recipe with ingredients under 1% with those droppers. You'd need to make a 10ml batch -- because 1 drop of flavoring in there (with 20 drops/ml) would be 0.5%. And you'd need to make a 20ml batch in order for a single drop of flavoring to be 0.25%. That's a lot to vape, if you don't like it!

So to avoid the need to make a giant batch...do it just like you said you are. Mix the flavor concentrates, then add them to your base at the total % of flavoring in the recipe. You'll be vaping it just as it was designed, and you'll never have to make huge batches. Even better - if any recipe is just too weak or too strong for you, you don't have to remix all those flavorings from scratch.

Does that answer all your questions? If I made it more confusing, don't be afraid to say so!

danjc

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Great info, its so hard to find any information on percentages and the e-juice calculators maybe should have started a new thread on this just in case anyone else has similar Problems/questions.

Cheers HIC now I know I'm Vaping your coco cookies the way their supposed to be.......and they are good!

Mixman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For what its worth and just my 2 cents but if you have a complex flavor you like and want to vape it over and over this is probably the best tutorial of how to save a bunch of time and hassle and easily achieve a consistent, repeatable result time after time. This applies to anyone, from rank beginners to pros. This is good stuff. I was doing something similar but your advice saved me a step. Much appreciated

Mixman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
In my mind the key to your procedure is that the steep clock does not begin to run until the carrier and nic molecules are added to the flavor molecules. It doesn't matter if your talking about 20 ml of flavoring mix or 2 liters. Mix the flavors together, label the mix in an air tight container and set it on the shelf. Then say an order comes in for 10 bottles (300ml total) of 6mg strength. If your mix requires 6ml of flavoring per bottle (20%) you simply pour 60ml of the flavor mix into your bowl, add nicotine (18ml if your using 100mg/ml), then add pg if any and vg, mix the components together and pour 10 bottles. This system works on a small or large scale if I understand HIC correctly.

Mr.Mann

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Man, when I "discovered" (more like stumbled onto) this approach you'd-a-thunk I hit the lotto! It opens up so much creativity, ease of consistency, ease of strength-adjustment and so much more. I accidentally stumbled onto this way of mixing one day when I made up a batch of flavoring and used far too much. I realized that I could just then add that mix as a single flavoring to a solvent/nic base, and then the light bulb went off -- but it seemed so rudimentary, yet also like such a "new" idea. This thread is awesome because it is a true pro-tip!

Really fun and easy working this way. I typically use the parts (ratio) method as I find that to be the easiest way to get my idea into liquid form the fastest.

Mixman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hit me that way too. I'm focused on the consistency because everything I make has to taste the same today as it did 2 months ago. Plus when you have 7-13 flavors in some recipes its just easier to be accurate 1x on each flavor and know you have a mix that will satisfy a certain number of bottles.

Professor Snape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some of my recipes include tiny percentages and many flavorings. You can still mix small batches - easily and very accurately - and avoid wasting nicotine base on a new recipe. I do this for my favorite complex recipes. You won't have to mess with tiny percents or fractions of drops:

* Use a little bottle and measure ONLY the flavorings into it. Use drops, or use milliliters, or tenths-of-ml, whatever units you want. A recipe that says 2 drops of X, 7 drops of Y (or 2% of X, 7% of Y) - you measure as 2ml and 7ml, or .2ml and .7ml, or even 4 drops and 14 drops (doubling everything) - doesn't matter, so long as the ratios are the same, and you're using a measuring device that gives you consistent results. For example, 0.25% vanilla with 0.5% cream is just a 1-to-2 ratio of vanilla-to-cream (you can use 1 and 2 drops, or 5 and 10 drops, or 1 and 2 ml, or .1 and .2 ml, etc.)

*Label that bottle "flavoring" plus the recipe name. Use it as you would any single flavoring. Now you can make the recipe with the intended ratios, you can vary the strength to your preference, you can mix tiny batches when you want to vape that flavor, and it'll be exactly the same flavor every time. Your final label might read "Flavoring - Amazing Grapes - use 5%" for example.

I like to mix small batches to vape right away, but I don't want to get out all the bottles and remeasure .00125%! This method saves lots of time and eyestrain.
Thank you very much, that helps a lot.

Ktribb

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
To calculate some it could be easy to use math and numbers, say I have a liquid that is 4% Strawberry, 8% Coconut, and 6% Dragonfruit, that is a total of 18% flavoring. If one were to take 100 / 18 * .04, then multiply that result by the size of the bottle of flavoring you're trying to fill, you get the amount of flavoring for the Strawberry, replace the .04 with .08 or .06 for the rest of the flavorings you have each amount. Hope that is clear enough for any of you lol

fiveOclock

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is from the FA website (Excepts):

If you are adding just one flavour to your eliquid, once you have given it a good shake you can vape it. The flavour might develop a little more over time but I have found it is hardly discernible.

When mixing flavourings together to create a new flavour, I always work with the flavour concentrates first and I might mix many recipes until I smell that it's right, then I allow the concentrates to steep and develop - flavourings react with each other to produce new background flavours. The goal is to be able to recognize the original flavours but to also taste the background flavours that are created and which fill in the gaps.

If you are blending concentrates to create a new flavour, make small samples first and allow them to steep at least a few days; sweet flavours are usually fully-steeped in 7 days but tobacco flavours tend to take 14 to 21 days to fully mature, that's where patience comes into its own! More complex blends using 5 to 10 flavour concentrates also take longer to develop. Only when they are ready would I try some in eliquid to test how they vape.

Full Text is here: http://www.flavourart.co.uk/eliquid-mixing-guide.html

This is simply what I was talking about mixing flavors together to develop new flavors its a simple explanation without getting into molecules and pairing (nerd technical jargon).

This is very interesting. Thanks for the info.
Wonder how the steeping of base effects the flavor profile. When the base is added to the fully steeped flavors, they would go through another steeping process. But sounds like this has limited effect to the overall flavor profile. And if the steeping of flavors alone are faster than the full mix, maybe we should be steeping the flavors first. So, using OP's method to mix the flavors only, throw them into a croc pot for shorter time frame, and add the base after.

This thread might have completely changed how I mix juice. :eek:

By the way, anybody tried adding a last minute flavor? When cooking, some spices are added right before the dish is served. I tried to simulate this by using a fully steeped juice and add a few drops of cotton candy flavor right before vaping for cleaner sweet flavor. Crazy idea but was wondering if anybody else tried it.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Haven't tried that, but have made base mix flavors, as the OP suggests. In my experience, there is no steeping effect. It's like creating a brand new single flavor of your fave mix. Proves to be a time saver for complex mixes you make frequently... if that made sense. It did in my head. :confused: Get all the flavors out one time, mix just those up in a larger quantity. When you need to make your juice again, you just use from the one bottle, instead of the many.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do the same as Huck and make largish amounts of flavor bases for juice I mix often. It tastes the same as if mixed from individual bottles, but it's much faster to add, say, 8% of one flavor mix than tiny percentages of a half dozen individual flavors! And it tastes the same every time, because it's made from the same flavor base.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is such a time saver! Even for those of us that don't go through a lot of juice. I have my favorites, that I make flavor bottles for, and I can mix just 1 tank at a time if want. I can use the time saved to make my sample flavors!

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't understand the part about a mix not steeping until he nic is added. I do understand why someone would wait to add the nic until they were ready to vape it. If flavors bond to each other, nic is irrelevant in the steeping process. The nic would simply need to be throughly mixed once added.

So this answers, to some degree, my question about if flavors steep while in a premixed flavor bottle, which they appear to do, at least to some degree. If the flavors only bind to each other during the steeping process, then mixing a new brew from a bottle of premixed flavor would result with the final bottle of brew ready much quicker, since the flavors from the premix flavor bottle only need to blend with the VG-pg-nic, which should be a much quicker process.

Then again, if a flavor or flavors blend to VG and or pg, I could see the end result tasting different, depending on how much a flavor bound to VG and pg instead of another flavor which might be more likely in a bottle of premixed flavor.

Ops, I don't realize there was another page of comments. I hope this hasn't been discussed yet.

Last edited:

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
... my question about if flavors steep while in a premixed flavor bottle...

Choose a recipe you're familiar with that tastes noticeably different when fresh versus steeped and try for yourself:
- mix a small bottle of just the flavorings, enough to make a couple or a few batches of finished liquid
- use part of it to make a batch that you'll put away to steep.
- When it's steeped, use the original bottle of just-flavorings to make a second batch of liquid. shake it well, then...
- immediately vape both side-by-side to compare

SixFiveLive

Member For 4 Years
Thank you HIC for this and all your recipes! I started diy about a month ago, and found this forum a couple weeks ago. Its been such a help. You've converted me to using mostly FA (thanks again) and using the method in this post. I've got 7 of the recipes from your site. I've only made the Banana Pudding and Quikberry Pink so far, but they're awesome. And I appreciate all the details you put in your recipes, and how willing you are to help people.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Thank you HIC for this and all your recipes! I started diy about a month ago, and found this forum a couple weeks ago. Its been such a help. You've converted me to using mostly FA (thanks again) and using the method in this post. I've got 7 of the recipes from your site. I've only made the Banana Pudding and Quikberry Pink so far, but they're awesome. And I appreciate all the details you put in your recipes, and how willing you are to help people.

I'm glad you've found such quick success with DIY. It definitely took me more than a month to get rolling when I started.
Thanks for the compliments and for your HIC's Mixes purchases, too!

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, so I guess my interpatation of the flavor art article was off. Flavors blend with each other and the base.

I can't help but to wonder if a new mix put on a slow turning mixing thingy (rotated the bottle non stop end to end at 1 rpm) would speed the steep process or slow it down?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, so I guess my interpatation of the flavor art article was off. Flavors blend with each other and the base.

I can't help but to wonder if a new mix put on a slow turning mixing thingy (rotated the bottle non stop end to end at 1 rpm) would speed the steep process or slow it down?
Heat seems to be more effective in steeping! (Not over 150 degrees)

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Something else I've noticed and tested to validate. My test consisted of two bottles made at the same time. Both us heat steeped, then in the closet for a few days. Then I put one bottle in my bag (30ml) to vape from time to time. After my bag bottle was gone, about 3 weeks, I pulled out he bottle from the closet to see if they steeped the same. The one from the closet was much smoother. I drive a truck and am away from the house about 14 hours a day, so my travel bottle only sits idle for 9 to 10 hours a day. The rest of the time it is shaking and vibrating. The difference between the bottles was very noticeable.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So the difference was the vibration from the truck? That makes sense - lots of shaking oxidizes the nic and makes it harsher!

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is not my impression. It seemed the bottle shaking around in my bag simply did not steep at the same speed as the bottle in the closet.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is not my impression. It seemed the bottle shaking around in my bag simply did not steep at the same speed as the bottle in the closet.

The one from the closet was much smoother - makes sense, it hasn't oxidized to the same extent as the one in the truck which was constantly shaken and exposed to air (due to being opened to refill).

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Some of my recipes include tiny percentages and many flavorings. You can still mix small batches - easily and very accurately - and avoid wasting nicotine base on a new recipe. I do this for my favorite complex recipes. You won't have to mess with tiny percents or fractions of drops:

* Use a little bottle and measure ONLY the flavorings into it. Use drops, or use milliliters, or tenths-of-ml, whatever units you want. A recipe that says 2 drops of X, 7 drops of Y (or 2% of X, 7% of Y) - you measure as 2ml and 7ml, or .2ml and .7ml, or even 4 drops and 14 drops (doubling everything) - doesn't matter, so long as the ratios are the same, and you're using a measuring device that gives you consistent results. For example, 0.25% vanilla with 0.5% cream is just a 1-to-2 ratio of vanilla-to-cream (you can use 1 and 2 drops, or 5 and 10 drops, or 1 and 2 ml, or .1 and .2 ml, etc.)

*Label that bottle "flavoring" plus the recipe name. Use it as you would any single flavoring. Now you can make the recipe with the intended ratios, you can vary the strength to your preference, you can mix tiny batches when you want to vape that flavor, and it'll be exactly the same flavor every time. Your final label might read "Flavoring - Amazing Grapes - use 5%" for example.

I like to mix small batches to vape right away, but I don't want to get out all the bottles and remeasure .00125%! This method saves lots of time and eyestrain.

so how do you know how much to add to the vg/pg? Do you just add up the total percentage of flavoring in the recipe and then add that much to vg/pg mix?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
so how do you know how much to add to the vg/pg? Do you just add up the total percentage of flavoring in the recipe and then add that much to vg/pg mix?

Yes, you got it! Then if you want it stronger, just add a little more of that one bottle of flavoring.

Menthol

Member For 4 Years
What can I say, Just read all this thread and it's opened my eyes, Genious.
I've been vaping the best part of four years and mixing on off for the last couple and always failed,That is until I discovered the underground, So much more answers here to my overwhelming questions.
Thanks guys.

The Varista

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

If you create a receipe with this calculator: http://e-liquid-recipes.com/ You can then click the edit button and you'll see a link that will automatically calculate the base mix for the receipe. I find it very useful not having to use my simple mind to figure it out.

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry, if my question sounds noobish :(
I think I was understanding until I read this part (doubling everything)

So let me see if I understand this... I am slow please forgive me.

Made up recipe
Flavor A 4%
Flavor B 2%
Flavor C 6%
Flavor D 3%

Let's say I want to pre-mix a recipe with all my ingredients minus the pg/vg and nic.
I want to build a pre-mix recipe flavor in let's say a 120ml bottle. Based on your description, how do I accomplish this?

Do I use the same percentages that my recipe asks for with each ingredient?
Do I keep repeating this until I fill up the entire size of my 120ml bottle?

Next question, when it comes time to mix up a batch with my pre-mix. Do I just use the total flavor percentage amount from the recipe with the vg/pg and nic. In this case, 15% ?

Thank you for taking time to help me understand. o_O

The Varista

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry, if my question sounds noobish :(
I think I was understanding until I read this part (doubling everything)

So let me see if I understand this... I am slow please forgive me.

Made up recipe
Flavor A 4%
Flavor B 2%
Flavor C 6%
Flavor D 3%

Let's say I want to pre-mix a recipe with all my ingredients minus the pg/vg and nic.
I want to build a pre-mix recipe flavor in let's say a 120ml bottle. Based on your description, how do I accomplish this?

Do I use the same percentages that my recipe asks for with each ingredient?
Do I keep repeating this until I fill up the entire size of my 120ml bottle?

Next question, when it comes time to mix up a batch with my pre-mix. Do I just use the total flavor percentage amount from the recipe with the vg/pg and nic. In this case, 15% ?

Thank you for taking time to help me understand. o_O
To make a 240ml batch of concentrate...you would need to mix the following:
Flavor 1...64ml
Flavor 2...32ml
Flavor 3...96ml
Flavor 4...48ml

That would be your flavor concentrate and should be mixed at 15% (which is the same as your flavor total) with your pg/vg nic base.

The Varista

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
To make a 240ml batch of concentrate...you would need to mix the following:
Flavor 1...64ml
Flavor 2...32ml
Flavor 3...96ml
Flavor 4...48ml

That would be your flavor concentrate and should be mixed at 15% (which is the same as your flavor total) with your pg/vg nic base.
That would be enough base for 1600ml of finished liquid

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Made up recipe
Flavor A 4%
Flavor B 2%
Flavor C 6%
Flavor D 3%

I want to build a pre-mix recipe flavor in let's say a 120ml bottle.

Total flavoring percent in the recipe: 15 and Total ml you want: 120
120 divided by 15 is 8
Multiply all the numbers by 8

Flavor A 4 * 8 = 32ml
Flavor B 2 * 8 = 16ml
Flavor C 6 * 8 = 48ml
Flavor D 3 * 8 = 24ml

That gives you 120ml of just the flavoring. You'd use it at 15% (the total % in the original recipe)

Grand Rapids E-Liquid

SENDMYELIQUID.COM
VU Vendor
VU Donator
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Use a gram scale and a calulator. We use a simple excel spreadsheet. If you are experimenting with new flavors just drop them on a piece of paper towel (1 drop for each part) Then smell it... If you think it worth mixing then go for it.

southern_heat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

OMFknGD!!!!!!! If I had only seen this like an hour before I just made my so called first 30ml diy e-liquid. You are as they say,"LEGEND". (sometimes its the little things said that makes the biggest impact).

kimber

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I know I'm late to this party but I just spent the last 20 minutes or so reading through this post and it's like the lightbulb just went off!!! I've been DIYing for over two years and only ever came up with 3 or 4 juices that I liked even a little and certainly nothing complex. May I say that @HIC is an outright genius and an excellent teacher. I think I finally get it!! I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to figure out how in the HELL I was going to get 0.25% flavor! I get it now. Thank you SO MUCH HIC!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is likely very useful information for me, but let me ask a question to make sure I understand.

Lets say I like a flavor that consists of 2% vanilla and 4% Strawberry. When I make that juice up the normal way, I'd end up with a juice with a total of 6% flavoring. So, if I make up a pre-mixed flavoring bottle containing 2% Vanilla and 4% Strawberry, I would simply use 6% from that bottle to arrive at a juice that would be exactly the same as if I had mixed it the normal way?

Liquidlunch

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
pure gold information, gLad a found this thread, thinking i may need to up my HIC flavourings too as I like it a bit stronger. But am gonna hold off till i've steeped for a while to make sure. :) Just made some blueberry coconut smoothie and Italian lime cream soda, im never buying e-juice again, what a waste of flavouring monies!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
pure gold information, gLad a found this thread, thinking i may need to up my HIC flavourings too as I like it a bit stronger. But am gonna hold off till i've steeped for a while to make sure. :) Just made some blueberry coconut smoothie and Italian lime cream soda, im never buying e-juice again, what a waste of flavouring monies!
When I started mixing HIC's recipes a couple years ago, I increased a flavoring, or 2, depending on the mix. Over time, though, I suppose as my taste buds healed up from not smoking anymore, I've been able to mix as written and getting plenty of flavor. I'm with ya. I purchased one bottle of juice since I started DIY because I kept hearing so much about it. It was worth it, too, but I still prefer DIY.

The Varista

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I make a lot of your juices this way. My question is, once I mix a flavor base and it seeps for the length of time you recommend in the actual mixed juice reicepe, do I need to seep it again when I make a bottle from the seeped concentrate?

Menthol

Member For 4 Years
If i remember right the mix master HIC says "as soon as you add the NIC the steep clock starts".
So your 10ml of concentrates shouldn't change, Plus most of HIC's mixes are shake and vape.

laurie9300

Member For 5 Years
Another small tip I would like to add to this most excellent thread.

If I want to mix a small batch of a recipe, and there is a flavour included at a small percentage, e.g. 0.25%.

I will make a small bottle of that particular flavour at 25% with PG. (1:4)

This can then be used at 1% in your mix.

Menthol

Member For 4 Years
Another way to make small batches which i do myself now is use a 1mm syringe with a fine needle (pink) , This equates to about 72 drops per ml so is ideal for the smaller percentages.
So 0.5 % would be 4 drops
and 0.25 would be 2 drops

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another way to make small batches which i do myself now is use a 1mm syringe with a fine needle (pink) , This equates to about 72 drops per ml so is ideal for the smaller percentages.
So 0.5 % would be 4 drops
and 0.25 would be 2 drops
In a total mix of how many mls? :p (I'm too lazy to do the math on Sunday afternoon!)

Menthol

Member For 4 Years
In a total mix of how many mls? :p (I'm too lazy to do the math on Sunday afternoon!)
All the mixes I try I make either a 5 or 10ml mix

See example below

Grilled Bananas with Ice Cream and Caramel

3.5% Bano (Banana) (FA) 26 Drops
1.5% Brown Sugar (TPA) 11 Drops
0.5% Butterscotch (FA) 4 Drops
0.5% Caramel (FA) 4 Drops
0.5% Cinnamon Ceylon (FA) 4 Drops
0.75% Cream Fresh (FA) 6 Drops
0.1% Honey (FA) 1 Drop
0.5% Marshmallow (FA) 4 Drops
0.5% Pear (FA) 11 Drops
1.5% Vienna Cream (FA)
0.5% Walnut (FA) 4 Drops

Flavor total: 10.35%

Recipe by Shaner

Last edited:

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
21 gauge blunt tip needle works out on average to 100 -110 drops per ml (let's just say it is 100). If making. 1 ml test batch, each drop would be 1%. If making a 4 ml test batch, each drop would be .25%. The 21 gauge needles will fit through the drip tips of the flavor bottles.

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, that was 1.5 years ago. Maybe I'm remembering what I thought before I started using a scale.

VU Sponsors