Become a Patron!

How to prime a cartomizer (The Ocelot Method)

The Ocelot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There are lots of different ways to prime a cartomizer. This is the way that works for me.

When I first heard about the “condom method” for filling cartos, I just heard about it, I didn’t see it demonstrated. Since I mostly use flanged cartos, I assumed the top went into the condom. I later learned the bottom goes in (so it won’t work with flanged cartos anyway), but I was already proficient at doing it wrong. I call it The Upside Down Condom.

This was difficult to photograph and makes it look much harder than it is. You can do it in under a minute if you’re trying to set a speed record. I use it to fill both flanged and unflanged cartos (like the one pictured). Note: While the pictures illustrate filling a carto for a tank, the same steps can be used for a regular carto.

Before we start, for reference purposes, a cartomizer is an atomizer (the heating element) and a cartridge (that holds the e-liquid) combined in one unit. The filler material is saturated with with juice that is vaporized when it comes in contact with the heating element.

The inside of a single-coil carto:

singlecoilsml.jpg

A carto can be vaped as it is by just putting on a drip tip, but that doesn't seem to be popular anymore. Most people using cartos these days use a carto with a hole punched in it inside of a tank. The liquid leaches in through the hole where it saturates the filler material.

Now on to priming that carto!

Step #1: Fill a condom about 2/3 up.
Step #2: Put the carto in top down. I have the attention span of a guppy, so I push it all the way down after a couple of seconds.

step1al.jpg

Step #3: Flip it right side up and flick it like a syringe. Little bubbles will rise to the top.
Step #4: When there is one big bubble, take the condom off.

bubblesb.jpg

Step #5: It will look slushy.

step6u.jpg

Step #6: Wipe it off with a paper towel, and then grasp the top (there should actually be paper towel around the bottom as well to catch droplets) and shake it like a thermometer a couple of times. This distributes the liquid throughout the filler.

step7c.jpg

Step #7: The filler will still be wet, but you can see the airflow tube is clear (light shows through it).

step8w.jpg

***I usually do the above steps twice; perhaps three times if it looks too dry.***

>>>This is a new thing I've been doing lately, but it's hard to described without sounding rude. Once the big bubble appears, I put a condom over the connection end (so there is a condom over each end) and then pump the top condom up and down a few time. The vacuum forces the juice into all of the filler. When juice comes out of the side holes I stop. This is with flangeless cartos. If you're using a flanged carto, you can hold a paper towel tightly over the air holes at the bottom when you pump the top. It works, but is messier.<<<

Now back to the steps.

Step #8: If the carto is too slushy or the airflow tube is flooded, I gently blow from the top down into a paper towel to collect the excess juice. I suppose you could blow it into a condom to save the extra juice, but I’ve never blown out enough to make it worth the effort.

I also may roll up a piece of paper towel and slide it up the battery connection to blot the excess juice while I go rinse out the tank or let the cat in. I don't leave it for long.

step9y.jpg

Step #9: If I've let it sit couple of minutes, when I put it in the tank it can look dry.

step10fh.jpg

Step #10: If it looks dry, I add a couple of drops.

step11f.jpg

Step #11: If it looks too slushy or is pooling, I’ll shake it like a thermometer again. You can shake it while it's in the tank, just get a good grip on the tank and the carto.

step12x.jpg

Step #12: It should look like the picture below; slushy (like a snow cone), but not enough for the liquid to pool and when held up to a light the airflow tube should be clear.

step13m.jpg

After the carto is primed and in the tank, you need to fill up the tank. These are just a few ways:

You can fill it through the side screw, if it's like the tank in the pictures; or use a tank tool to push the carto down:

SYM_tank_tool.jpg
Filling_tank_Baditude.jpg

Or you can carefully pull the carto partially out.

filling_tank_1.jpg

Although not pictured in these, I use a blunt needle cap bottle when I fill my tanks.

When the tank is filled and the drip tip on it, I do a couple of cold draws (no power) and listen for gurgling. It should gurgle a bit, I just flooded it. If it’s just a little gurgle, I gently blow the excess out through the drip tip into a paper towel. If there is a lot of gurgle, I roll up a piece of paper towel, slide it up the batter connection blocking the airflow, and then gently draw through the drip tip against the resistance – this will force the liquid to blot into the towel.

There is usually still a slight gurgle when I put it on the battery, so I vape a few soft draws until the excess is vaporized.

It’s not as hard as it looks. You don't have to be precise - it doesn't matter if some liquid gets down the airflow tube. If it looks dry, put drops in; if it gurgles or you can't see through the airflow tube, blow it and/or blot it. It's not rocket surgery.

Stleath_mini_bubble_tank.jpg

Vape On!​

TygerTyger

Official Lurker
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Great instructions and pictures! Thanks for sharing @Ocelot :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice tut man.
I used to fill that way, then I got a syringe.... ;)

The Ocelot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nice tut man.
I used to fill that way, then I got a syringe.... ;)

As I said, lots of ways to fill them. :) I have very shaky hands sometimes and when I used a syringe it would poke holes in the sock around the coil.

I fill them nearly horizontally, and milk it in through the open mouthpiece end and rotate. Repeat. When the 510 connection seeps, the liquid has passed all the way through. Takes about 4 minutes, but is fool proof. I still like the 4XL cartomizers, and this way works well when topping them off, too.

I use the condom method as well, but I do it a bit differently. I put the carto in the condom right side up. Once I see just a little bit of juice seeping out the top airhole...
IMAG0118.jpg

I place my finger over the top of the carto...
IMG_0048.jpg

And start pumping or squeezing the bottom of the condom. The vacuum forces the liquid into the filler material...
IMG_0047.jpg

I can prime a carto in a matter of seconds this way. I suppose you could place a condom on the top of the carto instead of using your finger if you don't like the idea of getting a bit of juice on you finger tip.

Tornadoalleydeb

Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That always worked for me when I used cartos. My question is where in the heck can I buy just the condoms? ( don't anyone be a smart ass either LOL ) Seriously, I found if I cut them down they fit perfectly in a wood drip tip stand that I have and it protects the wood from tips and attys that might have any moisture on them. I searched and can only find the silicone drip tip covers and those have the holes in the top so those wont work.

VU Sponsors