Become a Patron!

How to smooth a harsh/bite on Diy liquid

TheVapingCowboy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have some good liquids I have made but it seems to be harsh. Is there a way to smooth it out?
I'm @ 6mg nic, 30/70 ph/check ratio. All my flavorings are FA from Italy. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also have come across em to help with the bite. I have not tried it yet.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
ahh.. harsh.. what's in the juices you are vaping ? tobaccos or ??

there are a few..

marshmallow
EM Ethyl Maltol/cotton candy
vinegar (white for fruits, creams.. apple for the darks..)

and a few more.. just depends on what is in the juices..

TheVapingCowboy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My juices are fruits, from strawberry to mango. Some citrus and lemon. No tobacco flavors for me.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
marshmallow (toasted or plain will work), em, brown sugar, sometimes with lemon..
just a drop of lime flavor or juice, they both work when used in small drops.. and white vinegar. I am sure I might have left something out..

but this should get you started for now. :)

Tamer El-Meehy

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had the same issue with Flavor Art's RY4. It was PG/VG 70/30 and 12 mg nic. I vaped it already but want my next batch to be smoother. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had the same issue with Flavor Art's RY4. It was PG/VG 70/30 and 12 mg nic. I vaped it already but want my next batch to be smoother. Any suggestions?

Tamer.... Glad to see you over here on VU !! I've become permanent fixture over here. Come in and say hello in the Flavor Arts thread ..... Great stuff being discussed over there .

We see each other on the semovar/ Provari thread on the other forum.

Hopefully Smoky Blue be be back in here to help. She is one of the "Master Mixers" over here .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tamer El-Meehy

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Thunderball...great seeing you in here too :) Yeah..I'm giving VU a try and it seems to be a very good place. Thanks for the tip...will join the thread right away :)

TheVapingCowboy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Smoky Blue, I will give it a shot when I get home from work. I appreciate it.

Tamer El-Meehy

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
for blonde tobaccos (ry4) use your white vinegar.. ;)

1-2 drops per 10ml

Tball!! :rolleyes::p

Thanks Smoky ...I will prepare 50 ml in a couple of days, once I get my ultrasonic cleaner to speed up steeping.

Last edited:

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I find certain flavors to be somewhat harsh.
FW Dutch Apple Pie comes to mind.
This also happened when I first started DIY and was too heavy on the flavorings.
If you can determine which flavors seem harsh, try reducing them a bit first.
And yes 1-2% Marshmallow helps to mellow some.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
With FA in general, I often use Fresh Cream to take the edge off flavors I want smoother.
With FA fruits, I tend to use Custard for instead.

But before you add anything, are you sure the problem is flavorings? You might try vaping with no flavoring at all, to be sure the problem isn't in your VG, PC, or nic.

If that's fine, try starting around 2% flavoring and working up by 0.5% increments. I can't think of any FA fruits that seem harsh at that percent, except maybe Lime Tahiti (by design).

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree, and if your using any one (1) of the FA fruits above 3 or 4 % , your missing the mark and they might get harsh on you.

If your mixing 2 or 3 FA fruits together, you may only need 1 % or 2 % of each flavor.

FA is a whole different ball game as compared to TFA if your familiar with those high percentage recipies.

Give us an example of what you mixing at what percentages ...... If you want to. :)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Smoky ...I will prepare 50 ml in a couple of days, once I get my ultrasonic cleaner to speed up steeping.

i never speed up my tobaccos.. some things just take time. ;)
and you can! over steep juice..

With FA in general, I often use Fresh Cream to take the edge off flavors I want smoother.
With FA fruits, I tend to use Custard for instead.

But before you add anything, are you sure the problem is flavorings? You might try vaping with no flavoring at all, to be sure the problem isn't in your VG, PC, or nic.

If that's fine, try starting around 2% flavoring and working up by 0.5% increments. I can't think of any FA fruits that seem harsh at that percent, except maybe Lime Tahiti (by design).

that does work, but if it is not a cream/creamy type vape.. use something other than creams..

if it is pre bought, then just additives will work..
but yes, if you are mixing a full recipe, then reduce..

like i said, it depends on what it is you are trying to do.. :)

TheVapingCowboy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lol, I'm using 1ml per 4 of my nic/pg/vg ratios. I'm at 20% flavor. I'm guessing it's also why my juice is more liquid and not as thick as I'd like it.

Tamer El-Meehy

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i never speed up my tobaccos.. some things just take time. ;)

I'm new to this but this can take more than a month to steep..don't have that much patience :)..maybe I should try the UC method with a small amount first and see how it works

Last edited:

TheVapingCowboy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I currently have in tfa- sweetner & em.
From flavourart- mad fruit, lime, strawberry, cola, blackcherry, lemon, mango, Apple, forest fruit, peach, citrus & menthol.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I currently have in tfa- sweetner & em.
From flavourart- mad fruit, lime, strawberry, cola, blackcherry, lemon, mango, Apple, forest fruit, peach, citrus & menthol.
Whoa... If you have a 20% recipie with FA , you need to re think that recipie in my opinion . Most of my FA recipies are on the 5 to 7% range and we are talking 7 to 10 flavors in a recipie . Wow.

I am Pretty well known for liking very strong juices too.

TheVapingCowboy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My one recipe has 5 flavors, that's the one that is the harshest. Guess I'll have to tone down my percentages. Guess I'll start at 5%

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My one recipe has 5 flavors, that's the one that is the harshest. Guess I'll have to tone down my percentages. Guess I'll start at 5%
I just about had to re teach myself how to mix when I started using FA flavors.

They are pretty concentrated . Good luck

TheVapingCowboy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have been doing a blackcherry, cola for one. Strawberry,citrus,mango,lemon & Apple.
Also I used no em or sweetener.

TheVapingCowboy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes I have been using a calculator. Thanks for the advise. I'll go make a few batches and let you know the outcome. Thanks again to you all for the help.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Yes I have been using a calculator. Thanks for the advise. I'll go make a few batches and let you know the outcome. Thanks again to you all for the help.

no worries, hope this helps better..
if not, come back and post up what it is you did and we start over again ;)

for your cherry coke, try 2% black cherry and 1.5% cola (all fa)

Jackson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Try adding FA's MTS Vape Wizard or TFA's Smooth to knock off that edge.

Hey, I had harshness issue and I tried to mix many recipes but I don't know why every time my e-juice become haaarrrrrsh. I mix juicy peach (5%) and peach (4%) nicotine 3mg (from VapersTek) sweetner 2 drops per 10 ml and I steeped the liquid for a week. I tried another recipes but still harsh. where is my mistake?

And thank you in advance.

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey, I had harshness issue and I tried to mix many recipes but I don't know why every time my e-juice become haaarrrrrsh. I mix juicy peach (5%) and peach (4%) nicotine 3mg (from VapersTek) sweetner 2 drops per 10 ml and I steeped the liquid for a week. I tried another recipes but still harsh. where is my mistake?
And thank you in advance.
When running into harshness, this is what I use.
It changes the PH and takes the "bite" out the juice.

In the First Aid section of the pharmacy, pick up some .9% Saline (Wound Wash/Flush).
It's used to clean out open wounds .. safe for a baby.
It's pure sterile water with .9% saline solution, and comes in a spray can.
It comes out of the can in a stream that is easy to direct into a dripper bottle.
Don't try making your own, as it will clog your wicks.

I add about 1 drop per 2-3ml. to my juice.
It brings out the flavor (just like salt does in cooking), ... it smooth's out the harshness (maybe the bitterness you pick up on), .. and blends the flavors together.
It works especially good with fruits (especially berries) and chocolates.
You will not taste any salt, as it's super mild.
It will also "brighten" the flavor of the fruit, ... :p

There is also a saline solution you spray/inhale up your nose ..but that's the wrong one.
It has added ingredients.

You want the one without anything in it except the .09 saline and purified water, that is used to clean wounds.
Have fun experimenting.

When running into harshness, this is what I use.
It changes the PH and takes the "bite" out the juice.

In the First Aid section of the pharmacy, pick up some .9% Saline (Wound Wash/Flush).
It's used to clean out open wounds .. safe for a baby.
It's pure sterile water with .9% saline solution, and comes in a spray can.
It comes out of the can in a stream that is easy to direct into a dripper bottle.
Don't try making your own, as it will clog your wicks.

I add about 1 drop per 2-3ml. to my juice.
It brings out the flavor (just like salt does in cooking), ... it smooth's out the harshness (maybe the bitterness you pick up on), .. and blends the flavors together.
It works especially good with fruits (especially berries) and chocolates.
You will not taste any salt, as it's super mild.
It will also "brighten" the flavor of the fruit, ... :p

There is also a saline solution you spray/inhale up your nose ..but that's the wrong one.
It has added ingredients.

You want the one without anything in it except the .09 saline and purified water, that is used to clean wounds.
Have fun experimenting.
Thank you I will give it try.

VU Sponsors