Become a Patron!

How to solder fatdaddy 510 v4 Ultimate Edition?

Hello. Title says it all. I'd like to know the proper way to solder the central positive wire into the fatdaddy 510 v4 ultimate edition.

It seems like I should be popping out the central pin, but it's flared so that it remains in the spring, pin, washer assembly.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Hello. Title says it all. I'd like to know the proper way to solder the central positive wire into the fatdaddy 510 v4 ultimate edition.

It seems like I should be popping out the central pin, but it's flared so that it remains in the spring, pin, washer assembly.
You should definitely be popping out the center pin. The whole thing comes apart and the pin removed.

You will melt the insulator otherwise.

If you have a helping hand for soldering it will make short work of it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

You should definitely be popping out the center pin. The whole thing comes apart and the pin removed.

You will melt the insulator otherwise.

If you have a helping hand for soldering it will make short work of it.

Any advice on how to remove the pin?
Thanks for the quick reply.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
When I get home this evening will take some tear down pics. I have one not in use.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I believe the one on the right is similar to the one you have correct?
0HIoCJh.png

If so unscrew the insulator and center pin and unscrew it (should be 4 pieces). Slip the bottom cap and spring down over the wire and then solder. reassemble. If like the one on the left just unscrew the pieces as you see above. If nothing like these let me know which one you have, I have about 20 different kinds and all in one sandwich bag.

So here are some pics of my tabbed version of the fatdaddy v4 ultimate edition (tabbed version, I also have untabbed, but the spring/pin assembly are the same/interchangeable between them. The black part you see is made of a plastic.

The pin opening (to receive the positive wire) appears to be flared, preventing simply popping out. I could be wrong, but I can't figure out how to attack it.

Attachments

• 20180411_234002.jpg
    20180411_234002.jpg
    622.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180411_233935.jpg
    20180411_233935.jpg
    694.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180411_233920.jpg
    20180411_233920.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 13

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
If that is the spring loaded 510, the whole positive pin assembly pushes out the bottom of the insulator. It should be three pieces. The +center pin sleeve, a spring and the pressed in keeper. If you count the insulator its 4 pieces.

With those you can push a small flat screwdriver or scratch awl down and slowly work the whole thing out by pushing on the the sides and working it out. If you have good soldering skills and don't have to linger with an overly hot iron its pretty safe to do assembled.

While I don't have that particular one on hand, I am familiar with it.

VU Sponsors