Become a Patron!

How to Spot a Fake MNKE Battery

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
SONY VTC4 2100mAh is a Re-Wrapped Efest 30A
SONY VTC5 2600mAh is a Re-Wrapped LG

ive heard that: SONY VTC4 2100mAh is a Re-Wrapped Efest 30A (well, actually ive herard the inverse of this: eFest is the one who is re-wrapping).

but ive never heard this: SONY VTC5 2600mAh is a Re-Wrapped LG. what i HAVE heard is that eFest is re-wrapping the LG HE2 and using the burst amp limit as an ambiguous amp limit. theyre not lying, but its unscrupulous to advertise the burst when the norm is to advertise the continuous.

Z3vapor

Member For 5 Years
another way to spot fake MNKEs is the lack of a white ring around the pos end and a protruding neg end. authentic mnkes have a white ring in the batt wrapper around the pos and a flat neg.

yes. that authentic MNKE from the comparison photo is from MadVapes. the fake is from Ultra.

I just got my MNKE 18650 from Fasttech and based on this, the pair I got from Fat Daddy Vapes is fake. It has protruding neg end and showing less white ring compared to FT.

Link to FT MNKE-
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1722200

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
I just got my MNKE 18650 from Fasttech and based on this, the pair I got from Fat Daddy Vapes is fake. It has protruding neg end and showing less white ring compared to FT.

Link to FT MNKE-
I will say the ones from fat daddy vapes are genuine MNKE's. i have a few sets. the top cap of my original 18650 mnke batts have 5 posts. my fake mnke batts have 4 posts.... fat daddy vapes sells only authentic MNKE'd

Z3vapor

Member For 5 Years
Here are pictures. The ones that have white labels are from FDV.

Attachments

• MNKE1.jpg
    MNKE1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 51
  • MNKE2.jpg
    MNKE2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 42
  • MNKE3.jpg
    MNKE3.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 47

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hmmm... sorry but what I get from this thread is that some batteries seem to be fakes and some batteries seem to be real...

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The issue is these Chinese companys buy the legit bare cells in bulk and then add wraps and contacts to cell for individual sale so it makes it tough to spot fakes. You have to remember most of these cells are made to go in other applications like power tools and stuff like that so most these cells are soldered in and do not need the contact points and labeled wrapper on them.

It makes it really hard to spot fakes and it comes down to trusted vendors that build a track record. If its a price to good to be true and its not a trusted vendor I dont take the chance.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ft batteries are indeed legit. May sound strange about a company that sells clones, but the cells I've gotten from them have always been legit. Which were sonys and Sammy's.

I have no idea what fat daddy is selling.

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
I think the FT and FDV batts are legit. Probably different batches.

FDV - Those look totally different, then the one's he sold me. I'll look into it, I'll contact him later today and ask him about them :cool:

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
Ft batteries are indeed legit. May sound strange about a company that sells clones, but the cells I've gotten from them have always been legit. Which were sonys and Sammy's.

I have no idea what fat daddy is selling.

NOT all the FT Batteries are legit.. Some of the sony's are fake...

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They had some blatantly fake AWs a few months back. Members outraged, then they removed the 'AW'. This is the first I'm hearing of fake sonys. Which particular sony was it?

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
It would be according to Sun-Vapers post. The Fasttech Sony V3 (10A) & Sony VTC3 (30A) - FAKE!!! The Sony VTC4 & VTC5's are Legit...

Z3vapor

Member For 5 Years
Just got a reply from FDV:

"The ones without the stickers on your photo are not real. They are good batteries but they are not real. They are the same kind that people are passing off as real Sonys.

Right now, there are no real Sonys or MNKEs anywhere in China unless you can find them in HK and pay premium price for them.

The 26650 MNKEs that I sell are real but they are old stocks."

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer

Link to FT MNKE-

May I ask how you got your MNKE's from FT? Since the ONLY one who ships is "Registered Surface Mail via HK Post"?? or is that what you used... I'm just curious!

Z3vapor

Member For 5 Years
I also got the VTC5 which look legit but I'm putting a request for FT to confirm with their vendor if the MNKE are authentic. Maybe I'll RMA and use the credit on something else. Been looking at the Plume Veil. :)

Z3vapor

Member For 5 Years
I got this from FT:

"We have confirmed which is original item from the Manufacturer:MNKE, since this is from China which is maybe a little different. "

Z3vapor

Member For 5 Years
I can see how two different factories will have slightly different packaging. So far so good and I think a pair was $9.

BabyFartsMcGeezax

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got this from FT:

"We have confirmed which is original item from the Manufacturer:MNKE, since this is from China which is maybe a little different. "
What does that say?

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do us a favor.
Test the positive end with a magnet.
I have MNKE 26650's bought a few years ago at VC2, wishfully before they started faking them as there was not much demand back then.
What is unique to those batteries, is that the + end is good SS...
therefore NOT MAGNETIC!!
Those are the only batteries in my collection that are like that. Efest 26650's are magnetic.

With that said, I also have the green jacketed mnke 26650's. They also have non-magnetic + end. They also have identical markings on jacket..... the extra space between the "I" and the "M"..

I MR-26650

mnke26650_zps16c58c2a.jpg

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Do us a favor.
Test the positive end with a magnet.
I have MNKE 26650's bought a few years ago at VC2, wishfully before they started faking them as there was not much demand back then.
What is unique to those batteries, is that the + end is good SS...
therefore NOT MAGNETIC!!
Those are the only batteries in my collection that are like that. Efest 26650's are magnetic.

With that said, I also have the green jacketed mnke 26650's. They also have non-magnetic + end. They also have identical markings on jacket..... the extra space between the "I" and the "M"..

I MR-26650

mnke26650_zps16c58c2a.jpg
That's good to know...I just tested all mine and they are magnetic

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've got 6 of the MNKE 26650 Green Label, all of them have the SS positive and are not magnetic (whew).

VU Sponsors