How to tell when i need to change coil ?

Discussion in 'Coil Building' started by VenomX, Aug 28, 2017.

1. VenomX

VenomX New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hi everyone
    i use a goon rda with stainless steel coil @ 0.12ohms

How often should i change the coil ? I heard they last months but want to clarify this.. thanks

2. bx10r

bx10r Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Id say it all depends on use. Yes they can last a while. All depends also on your juice of choice. I user nichrome 80 wire. I tend to change coils every week, only cause I'm learning how to build. I know some who go over a month without changing. Only change their cotton, nice lil wire brush scrub, rewick and good to go again

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Raymcconn and VenomX like this.
  3. HondaDavidson

HondaDavidson Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    When the taste goes off or wick gets burned or just because....then I change the wick

I can get a week or more from plain unflavored juice...... NET juices I can be lucky to get through a single day.

Coils on the other hand get change when I feel like it or I damage one during the wicking process. . Never had a coil wear out or fail by usage. I do have 1 Kayfun with a 2 year old coil containing a 1 year old wick.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

4. skt239

skt239 VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    If I'm using fancy build coils I'll get months out of them. I dry burn, rinse and re-wick every other day so I keep them pretty clean.

5. The Cromwell

The Cromwell VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    You can keep using them as long as they vape well and do not fall apart on ya.
    Generally bad taste is what gets most complex coils.

Raymcconn and Hoggy like this.
  6. whiteowl84

whiteowl84 Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    When it breaks.
    Anything sooner than that is up to you.
    I ran some SSFCs in a Limitless for 6 months. Still looked fine.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Hoggy likes this.
  7. Eric DeCastro

Eric DeCastro Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    last build in my avocado was in there for 3 or 4 months and I only changed it to switch to fused clapton's. then changed again to single coil and I'm pretty sure i will keep it this way for a few more months. maybe i can get a year out of it.

8. Hoggy

Hoggy New Member

Blog Posts:
    I concur with others that say as long as the coil still works and is not putting out any off flavors - or when you get bored.
    When I was beginning, with nichrome-60, I would often pop the coils when dry burning. Not anymore though.

But now - several months or even over a year (for one kanthal tidal here).. Or just when I get bored. I also use many types of wire (ni-200, NiCr-80&60, titanium, kanthal, SS304, SS316L - in general order of durability), at most twisted or tidal. I usually buy by the 500 or 1000 ft rolls so the end cost is dirt cheap - perfect for when you're just bored. ;)

I'm finding that SS (304 & 316L) seems to be incredibly durable compared to the others, and even more durable for the thicker gauges (as for any wire type) - especially for 28 gauge and thicker. So on the order of years may be possible if you don't get bored before then. :)

It also depends on which wire type you use. Some say ni-200 should be changed more often to avoid nickel leeching. I don't do that myself, and haven't noticed any adverse reactions [yet] - so I don't quite remember how often they say (couple weeks, perhaps?). You may want to check into that for yourself if you ever use that wire type. Also, for titanium they say to change it if/when you notice white 'soot' on the coil, which happens when it gets too hot. That white is titanium dioxide (used to color food or paint), but there's debate (last I checked) on whether it can adversely affect you or not when inhaled.
    ... But that's why they say not to dry burn both nickel-200 or titanium coils. However, I do VERY lightly dry burn those myself - just to the bare minimum point of keeping the gunk slowly smoking/burning off.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  9. Raymcconn

Raymcconn Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I have one fused clampton I have had in for aprox month and a half.
    I am going to change out sometime this weekend because I want to run a duel coil. Otherwise I would clean it and keep using it.

10. Jonnystevenson

Jonnystevenson New Member Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Depends on how you much you vape in a day. Due to the way vaping works some residue can be left on your coil. The bad news is that this effects how your ecig tastes and will stop it working well. Generally wehenever you noticed that its been tasting a little strange recently, that’s because its time to do some maintenance!