Become a Patron!

How to use titanium for coil?

baevans11

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried making a coil with Titanium and when I began to heat it and straighten it, the wire started to molt in a way and became so brittle it just kept breaking. I wasn't heating it very long just enough to make it glow briefly. Are you not supposed to do that with titanium? I was under the impression you should do it with all metals.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You must heat or dry fire Titanium at a very low wattage and never let it get glowing hot. If you go beyond it turning a bluish color, you have ruined it for vaping because it caused an oxidation to form on the wire that is harmful to vape. Most folks do TC with SS (316L is the most popular) now because it doesn't have that issue, is easier to work with, tastes cleaner, and can also be dry fires like kanthal, and will work in power mode as well as TC.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes I have always dry burned ti and if done in low watts and purged it cleans up fine and ti will last what seems like forever. I always got better flavor using ti.

baevans11

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You must heat or dry fire Titanium at a very low wattage and never let it get glowing hot. If you go beyond it turning a bluish color, you have ruined it for vaping because it caused an oxidation to form on the wire that is harmful to vape. Most folks do TC with SS (316L is the most popular) now because it doesn't have that issue, is easier to work with, tastes cleaner, and can also be dry fires like kanthal, and will work in power mode as well as TC.
OK thanks that helps. I knew that it could be harmful I just still thought you had to get it glowing before you used it.

baevans11

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes I have always dry burned ti and if done in low watts and purged it cleans up fine and ti will last what seems like forever. I always got better flavor using ti.
Thx yeah I've been wanting to try it. But I've read some people's post saying the flavor is great while others say it tastes like metal. Guess I just gotta try it and see. What temp/watts & ohms do you use it to where you get optimum flavor? I'm using a smok alien w/ baby beast so I have pretty good range.

VU Sponsors