How would one rebuild coils

Vapecloud

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello,

I have used the Protanks and the coils I get are the good kind. This means they last maybe a week more than the cheap ones. I buy both and see the results. I have a place that will rebuild coils for a buck each but it's only open on the weekends and is a little bit of a drive. Do I need a jewelers magnifying glass? My eyesight isn't what it once was.

Any tricks or tips would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I have rebuild those rebuildable atomizers but those are easy because they are huge and you can see pretty well.

RBVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you looking to rebuild stock beaks (such as kanger) or do you want to delve into RBAs?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I know of many tutorials on rebuilding atty heads...but to me that is like learning how to make your own paper so you can make coffee filtres.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I use 32g kanthal, wrapped 5/4 on a 5/64th drill bit for about a 2.3ohm coil. I wear glasses all day everyday and can see it just fine. I do have a helping hands magnifier, but really, it just seems in the way. I use cotton yarn for the wick. Good flavor, quickly done.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you looking to rebuild stock beaks (such as kanger) or do you want to delve into RBAs?
That is the first time i have ever heard of a thing which is not attached to a bird's face referred to as a beak. And i am so stealing that.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
ROFL that's what happens when one tries to type "heads" and their right hand is off the home row a tad. :)
When rebuilding the beak, is there a particular way to wrap the anus, and what material do you use for the kneecap?

Vapecloud

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Vapecloud

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I want to rebuild the kanger coils. The first answer had a great video on how to rebuild them. I do have an octopus atomizer mod I never use anymore because I like the protanks I have better.

My beak is functional!

JPop

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have found that a 14ga barbell, like for a tongue piercing, is perfect for wrapping coils with. Also trim half of your silicone insulator off since you're most likely not going to use nr/r/nr wires

I know of many tutorials on rebuilding atty heads...but to me that is like learning how to make your own paper so you can make coffee filtres.
I can see your point in some cases but kanthal at my local store is only 30 cents a foot Compared to $3 a head

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
before the birth of microcoils, I used to use a 2-56 screw and 34g (or was it 32g) and wind the wire on the screw. then i started doing micro coils in my protanks. just used a 1/16" drill bit.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
before the birth of microcoils, I used to use a 2-56 screw and 34g (or was it 32g) and wind the wire on the screw. then i started doing micro coils in my protanks. just used a 1/16" drill bit.

I method I experimented with for many months. I believed that winding with tension and a screw would provide an electrically stable circuit for the coils. The tension providing rigidity, no need for torching. And the screw contributing symmetry. Truth is screw specs are hard to decipher for the average person. And it's hard to predict the end resistance without them. My goal was to develop methods anyone, everyone could use easily. Second problem on a Protank you have to get down to the bottom of the slot to get the least resistance (least slack, wasted energy) and stable enough to prevent loose winds or end turns. Can't do that with a screw most people can find.

So I said screw it LOL and invented this…

IMG_0805a.jpg

You can do one up in less than a minute and using some simple mechanics nail a perfect termination on the Protank or any clearo with these principles. I went through the process in over a thousand builds to identify what it is that the Protank requires to come up with a straightforward method most of us can easily do.

Check my posts on the Microcoil Frustration thread or google my handle for links.

PM me if I can be of help or get stuck.

Best of luck.

:)

Nobody2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If your looking for kanger protank/T3S style coils, Zee cigs sells new ones for like $1.95 each for the M series and $2.99 for the D series.

VU Sponsors