Become a Patron!

Hybrids ?

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
please explain this to me. not sure i understand. thanx :)

Atomizer direct connection to battery rather than an adjustable 510 top cap similar to how regulated mods have.

What this allowed manufacturer to accomplish:

Less material
Smaller mods
Less voltage loss

Now some mechs with hybrid tops also have their battery adjustment built within the cap...threaded, think AV Able or any similar top cap.

Others have solid tops and battery adjustment within the switch.

In the end hybrid is a loose term for its lack of 510 pin and isn’t truly a hybrid (cross breed) but lack of and took the moniker for simplicity in name (opinion)

Hence why we read and hear people say, “safe for hybrid use”

Sounds better than, “safe for lack of 510 connector coupling use”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ok, so, hybrid is where the battery directly touches the + pin of the atty.
and
“safe for hybrid use” is the atty pin protrudes past tthe deck threads faar enough to not cause shorting.

correct ?

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
ok, so, hybrid is where the battery directly touches the + pin of the atty.
and
“safe for hybrid use” is the atty pin protrudes past tthe deck threads faar enough to not cause shorting.

correct ?

The second part is correct... first also...but some clarity.

A hybrid connection is where one would screw on an atomizer with no intermediate connection to bridge to a battery... accomplished with direct threads to the top of a mod or with an adjustable top cap which has the 510 threaded in.

And yes a protruding 510 pin on an atomizer is needed for hybrid use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ok, got it, thanx. the adjustable top cap, seems to me, that if its part of the mod, that shouldn't effect if it hybrid or not.
just like a series box mod, if the 510 pin is touching a battery, who cares if there are jumpers to the other battery.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Different type of hybrid connections...

upload_2019-12-31_12-23-6.png

upload_2019-12-31_12-24-5.png

upload_2019-12-31_12-24-36.png

Many series box mods have a 510 similar to a regulated mod

Stacked Tube mods generally don't, although there are those with adjustable 510s... SubOhm Innovations, Broadside etc. but they also make Hybrid connected RDAs that would utilize the first Hybrid disc, like RigMods do.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ok. i have each of those. but, in the end, still hybrid ? they just implement it in a different way.

Hybrid connected RDAs. are those that have those threads andd not a 510 ?

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yup...

Rough Neck

upload_2019-12-31_12-43-28.png

SOI's RDA

upload_2019-12-31_12-45-6.png

Rather than them being "Hybrid" RDAs they called them direct connect RDAs... yeah terminology used can be confusing ;)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Different type of hybrid connections...

View attachment 152512

View attachment 152513

View attachment 152514

Many series box mods have a 510 similar to a regulated mod

Stacked Tube mods generally don't, although there are those with adjustable 510s... SubOhm Innovations, Broadside etc. but they also make Hybrid connected RDAs that would utilize the first Hybrid disc, like RigMods do.
Bottom pic is NOT a hybrid, but is often called that. Technically speaking it is "faux hybrid", or "direct-to-battery". A true hybrid gives you the option to use an atomizer that has screw threads around the side of the actual build deck itself. A typical example of an atomizer that can be used in hybrid mode is the Culverin RDA by BJ Box Mods (Broadside Mods). This RDA features a beauty ring that, when removed, uncovers the screw threads that allow you to screw the build deck directly into the tube part of the Broadside or Broadside Admiral mod, i.e. after the disc has been removed from the top of the tube.

The theory behind this is that, by increasing the total surface area of screw threads, the specific part of the voltage drop that results from these same screw threads can be reduced to some non-negligible extent. So, by designing screw threads with a bigger inner diameter and/or using longer screw threads, the electrical contact between the two metal parts screwed together tends to be improved as a result from the contact area being enlarged, albeit a lot still also depends on cleanliness and tolerances in the machining, and of course normal wear and tear also matters, as does the corrosion that actually worsens faster after you apply electric grease or after you apply the type of contact spray that contains some kind of electrically conductive lube─so that's why you want to avoid that so-called "protective" or "anti-corrosion" type stuff─and, because it worsens so much faster, you end up polishing screw threads all the time until finally so much metal disappeared that the end result will be similar to having poorly machined screw threads so, simply don't do it.. be smart. :D

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Bottom pic is NOT a hybrid, but is often called that. Technically speaking it is "faux hybrid", or "direct-to-battery". A true hybrid gives you the option to use an atomizer that has screw threads around the side of the actual build deck itself. A typical example of an atomizer that can be used in hybrid mode is the Culverin RDA by BJ Box Mods (Broadside Mods). This RDA features a beauty ring that, when removed, uncovers the screw threads that allow you to screw the build deck directly into the tube part of the Broadside or Broadside Admiral mod, i.e. after the disc has been removed from the top of the tube.

The theory behind this is that, by increasing the total surface area of screw threads, the specific part of the voltage drop that results from these same screw threads can be reduced to some non-negligible extent. So, by designing screw threads with a bigger inner diameter and/or using longer screw threads, the electrical contact between the two metal parts screwed together tends to be improved as a result from the contact area being enlarged, albeit a lot still also depends on cleanliness and tolerances in the machining, and of course normal wear and tear also matters, as does the corrosion that actually worsens faster after you apply electric grease or after you apply the type of contact spray that contains some kind of electrically conductive lube─so that's why you want to avoid that so-called "protective" or "anti-corrosion" type stuff─and, because it worsens so much faster, you end up polishing screw threads all the time until finally so much metal disappeared that the end result will be similar to having poorly machined screw threads so, simply don't do it.. be smart. :D

thanx man. it looks like most things in life = lots of grey area. but now, you guys have me a clear understanding of what hybrid is.
undoubtedly many others have learned as well.

dhomes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
roughneck + rigs, SOI RDA + mods are normally called REAL hybrid, but IMO there are not, you still have threads between the RDA and the mod.

Kennedy Ruby Mods are REAL hybrids in that the mod and the RDA is just one piece (you cant change the RDA, it and the battery holder is a single piece)

There are very few examples of this design, Vicious Ant had one (Valkerye?), there certainly were a few other around but the Ruby is still being sold today

dhomes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
and the plot thickens

see? on a Vamp Ring or SOI Mod they come with a cap or disc that has a 510 connection for you to add whatever RDA you like

you can remove those and use their branded RDAs with a proprietary connection (RDA to the mod body).

there are still threads involved between the RDA and the body of the mod to transfer current.

The RUBY is single piece mod where the body and the RDA is just one thing, so gives you the least possible voltage drop

This:

Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 10.41.39 PM.png

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hybrid has been lost if you would in true meaning; can just look the word up.

And to me the Ruby is an all in one or AIO bad ass AIO, but one nonetheless (opinion)

But incorrectly stated a hybrid has generally been accepted as many of the ones pictured above although as I and cam alluded to, it’s really a direct to battery connection... but Hybrid is just so much easier to say

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
yes, i did see :), i searched it. and you are right about the valkery . the thing is, the way i see it. a hybrid is where the positive pin directly touches the battery. this is done in several different ways, but in the end, its the same basic result. and each way has various consequences. apples to apple, many different types of apples.

dhomes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hybrid has been lost if you would in true meaning; can just look the word up.

And to me the Ruby is an all in one or AIO bad ass AIO, but one nonetheless (opinion)

But incorrectly stated a hybrid has generally been accepted as many of the ones pictured above although as I and cam alluded to, it’s really a direct to battery connection... but Hybrid is just so much easier to say

yeah depends on what you want to interpret hybrid as. In the case of a ruby i call it hybrid as the device works as both a battery holder and an RDA

AIO sounds too much like a pod system to call a ruby that

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yeah depends on what you want to interpret hybrid as. In the case of a ruby i call it hybrid as the device works as both a battery holder and an RDA

AIO sounds too much like a pod system to call a ruby that

That’s cause AIO was the right term for pods...just as it is for the Ruby...just not accepting by the masses; the same mass that incorrectly and didn’t definitively define Hybrids

I am sure homie has a grasp of hybrid now, especially with user opinion defined, history misrepresentation, examples of pics etc. and what is generally accepted as “hybrid”

Hi5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
and the plot thickens

*from the back of a vape filled room, nodding as he sits interviewing a character for a story outline, he reaches over and cues the "Dramatic Music" on the music box player*

I had wondered about hybrids as well. Thank you for being a pigeon. :) I knew someone would ask sooner, or later. I hadn't asked because it wasn't fully something which seemed pressing to me. Could not get myself talked into asking. Not out of being afraid, rather just not quite filled with a desire to know. I did want to know but it was not something I saw as being urgent to need to know.

I am sure homie has a grasp of hybrid now

Roger that, Homie does. :)

Excuse me, back to my scribbling.

VU Sponsors