Become a Patron!

I did some spinnin' for the first time.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got a new phone and this camera doesn't focus on what I made. I only made one stick but got two coils out of it. About half way through, the wire broke off on the chuck. I got it hooked back up and finished.

I'm still waiting for some stuff in the mail. I just used what I had to see how it felt.

Ka1 dual 28 with 36 on the outside.

vwe8rCFr.jpg

c7e1o5Dr.jpg

xyOBVNgr.jpg

JMJQo21r.jpg

I usually don't use 7 wraps but I didn't want to waste :D. I noticed the wrap was inconsistent but that might be because I just had my drill laying on a towel. I used a power drill but have a cordless coming from harbor freight. I want my drill to be stationery next time.

It was pretty fun. I still have to get a designated spot set up.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I got a new phone and this camera doesn't focus on what I made. I only made one stick but got two coils out of it. About half way through, the wire broke off on the chuck. I got it hooked back up and finished.

I'm still waiting for some stuff in the mail. I just used what I had to see how it felt.

Ka1 dual 28 with 36 on the outside.

vwe8rCFr.jpg

c7e1o5Dr.jpg

xyOBVNgr.jpg

JMJQo21r.jpg

I usually don't use 7 wraps but I didn't want to waste :D. I noticed the wrap was inconsistent but that might be because I just had my drill laying on a towel. I used a power drill but have a cordless coming from harbor freight. I want my drill to be stationery next time.

It was pretty fun. I still have to get a designated spot set up.

Those look absolutely great! Well done you! :stars:

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've made several fused clapton since this post. I've been trying to observe what tension and angle I hold the wrap wire does. I try to keep it at a 90° angle from the cores while they're spinning. It's hard to see what's going on though. Sometimes it seems like there's mini gaps in the finished wraps. I dunno, at times everything looks great but then a small section will look odd. Maybe I'm just being nit picky.

I think my next step is to try some tri-core fused clapton. I eventually want to make framed staples but have no idea about ribbon sizes..

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've made several fused clapton since this post. I've been trying to observe what tension and angle I hold the wrap wire does. I try to keep it at a 90° angle from the cores while they're spinning. It's hard to see what's going on though. Sometimes it seems like there's mini gaps in the finished wraps. I dunno, at times everything looks great but then a small section will look odd. Maybe I'm just being nit picky.

I think my next step is to try some tri-core fused clapton. I eventually want to make framed staples but have no idea about ribbon sizes..
Ribbon is .1x.3,.4,.5, and I have a .8 which is way to hard to wrap.

Most people use .3 for staples and stuff. That's a tiny wire. I like the next size up better myself..4x.1

Id definitely check out Nick Devine on YouTube if going for exotic coils. He's a great builder with great tutorials.

It's all about the setup with ribbon. If your setup isn't right then you'll have a harder time keeping everything right. But hot glue to glue the staple wire together at the drill end. And ribbon wire sliders for going down the stack as you spin.
Tutorial will make more sense than my chatting though. Lol

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Id definitely check out Nick Devine on YouTube if going for exotic coils.

Have seen some of his stuff, and no not on your suggestion. He is really clear in how he shows to do stuff. I like his videos and that Sherlock Hohms too. Both are rather clear and straight forward in teaching. Still lack the confidence though to go after exotic builds myself. I'm sure i'd probably do fine but it's knowing that learning is a process with failing to teach you, which puts me off just a bit. Yep, I can overcome that. I'm just not "ready" to get there yet.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Have seen some of his stuff, and no not on your suggestion. He is really clear in how he shows to do stuff. I like his videos and that Sherlock Hohms too. Both are rather clear and straight forward in teaching. Still lack the confidence though to go after exotic builds myself. I'm sure i'd probably do fine but it's knowing that learning is a process with failing to teach you, which puts me off just a bit. Yep, I can overcome that. I'm just not "ready" to get there yet.
Those two guys are the culmination of slow learning. I mean, by the time Nick starts up his drill usually I need to hit pause because I've already built fresh aliens and have already been vaping on them for so long that I need to rewick them.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well look at Mr speed alien go. Easier to see what's going on while being slow than having to pause and rewind.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well look at Mr speed alien go. Easier to see what's going on while being slow than having to pause and rewind.

I agree with that but I can see @Carambrda's point too. There's been lots of times someone has been showing me how to do something, and I finally get my hands free to do it and it's "old hat" by that time, past experience, muscle memory doesn't get set aside because your being shown how to. Hm, then I also understand you don't learn with a full cup. It's ... bah ... *kicks balance on down the road* *chuckling*

"Look for the operation you need to blend into the background in this multi-culturally diverse area. Can you manage to do that?" ... "um. boss we lost him. I was explaining he needed to blend in and ...oh, erm ... um .."

"He stepped over to the edge of the wilds, slipped between two blades of grass and was gone."

My wife hates me for always "sneaking up" on her. I don't have to try to "sneak", in fact if I try I foul up, let it come without effort though and what's instilled lets it happen organic. But then too I'm a damn ox in a China shop clumsy "ninja". *lol* Yep, a walking contradiction, a human being. :) And not written or said in arrogance, but even so contradicted and flawed, perfect as I am. :)

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No I mean I know I'm slow at building aliens, but what I'm saying is this guy Nick takes forever to even grab a piece of wire and start up his drill. If you happen to have insomnia, then just watch one of his vids and that's it... no more problem trying to fall asleep.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I agree with that but I can see @Carambrda's point too. There's been lots of times someone has been showing me how to do something, and I finally get my hands free to do it and it's "old hat" by that time, past experience, muscle memory doesn't get set aside because your being shown how to. Hm, then I also understand you don't learn with a full cup. It's ... bah ... *kicks balance on down the road* *chuckling*

"Look for the operation you need to blend into the background in this multi-culturally diverse area. Can you manage to do that?" ... "um. boss we lost him. I was explaining he needed to blend in and ...oh, erm ... um .."

"He stepped over to the edge of the wilds, slipped between two blades of grass and was gone."

My wife hates me for always "sneaking up" on her. I don't have to try to "sneak", in fact if I try I foul up, let it come without effort though and what's instilled lets it happen organic. But then too I'm a damn ox in a China shop clumsy "ninja". *lol* Yep, a walking contradiction, a human being. :) And not written or said in arrogance, but even so contradicted and flawed, perfect as I am. :)
The only coil build video tutorials that I really enjoyed watching all the way from start to finish and that managed to convince me to not just want to get into coil building, but also to go ahead and actually do it instead of pitfalling again by keep delaying (the classical-old, "what's the whole point?", a common problem with people who are... you guessed it yet again: creatively gifted :p), are the ones by squidoode, here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmxeyMcRET7s3I3TLKRsc0Q

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No I mean I know I'm slow at building aliens, but what I'm saying is this guy Nick takes forever to even grab a piece of wire and start up his drill. If you happen to have insomnia, then just watch one of his vids and that's it... no more problem trying to fall asleep.

Roger. Kind of the same. Once you get to explaining and showing, it's picked up, okay I can get it.

squidoode

What did you do? Oh no! Squidoode rules! Must watch all of Squidoode's videos! Squidoode says you do that, you do that. Ha!

He reminds me of Hypno-Frog but I don't mean that in a bad sense. I mean it in the sense that he seems to draw you right into it. And that's good because he puts you right there to get it, no fancy yada yada, just do.

I bet he uses hoodoo to attune people's theta waves. Uh huh, just betcha.

"Hey, I'm doing this. Let me show you and explain briefly as we go along, here we go, ... Okay, now you got it, do it and vape on."

Damn, no hoodoo or chicanery at all.What the ...? Huh, feel like making Clapton wire. Must resist for now. Will do it though, resolute on that. Think I got some 36 NiCh 80, know I got 26 SSL316 and Kanthal A1.

My biggest concern is living conditions aren't exactly feasible to set up to do coil stuff at the moment. then, living conditions are never feasible for anything. Hm. I'll get there, sometime in the near future. It's after 21:30 here now. Not sure the mind would let the body do. Kind of also fighting spasms. Crashing around 1. Will probably veg out a little, stretch and yep pass out here in just a few.

Apologies needing to clean up. Took a gabapentin for severe back pain a few hours ago. They can at times make me more goofy than usual. :) So, I need to clean up a post, I clean it up. ;) :)

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Roger. Kind of the same. Once you get to explaining and showing, it's picked up, okay I can get it.

What did you do? Oh no! Squidoode rules! Must watch all of Squidoode's videos! Squidoode says you do that, you do that. Ha!

He reminds me of Hypno-Frog but I don't mean that in a bad sense. I mean it in the sense that he seems to draw you right into it. And that's good because he puts you right there to get it, no fancy yada yada, just do.

I bet he uses hoodoo to attune people's theta waves. Uh huh, just betcha.

"Hey, I'm doing this. Let me show you and explain briefly as we go along, here we go, ... Okay, now you got it, do it and vape on."

Damn, no hoodoo or chicanery at all.What the ...? Huh, feel like making Clapton wire. Must resist for now. Will do it though, resolute on that. Think I got some 36 NiCh 80, know I got 26 SSL316 and Kanthal A1.

My biggest concern is living conditions aren't exactly feasible to set up to do coil stuff at the moment. then, living conditions are never feasible for anything. Hm. I'll get there, sometime in the near future. It's after 21:30 here now. Not sure the mind would let the body do. Kind of also fighting spasms. Crashing around 1. Will probably veg out a little, stretch and yep pass out here in just a few.

Apologies needing to clean up. Took a gabapentin for severe back pain a few hours ago. They can at times make me more goofy than usual. :) So, I need to clean up a post, I clean it up. ;) :)
no you're overthinking him.. he just uses his tenticles ;)

just made my very first fused staple and was pretty intimidated, not gonna lie. I think like a lot of things, the amount of attention given to the prep work will make all the difference in the finished product. First attempt finished without a hitch and I'm honestly not sure they could have come out better than they did.

I've seen a lot of people suggest hot glue, I used about a 2in piece of ribbon wire once I got everything lined up and wrapped it around the chuck end and one more piece on the other end to keep everything together as it spun.

Attachments

• 20200513_202533.jpg
    20200513_202533.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 12

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your are right. I was just giving you shit as always. He does take forever to get some wire spinning. I found that he gives a lot of info while doing all his talking though.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was just giving you shit as always.

Look at that a moderator admiring it. Only in the Underground. *chuckles* Then only here can we give shit back without any getting too out of whack. For example I know on other boards I might have been banned creating ear worm posts for @f1r3b1rd . Possibly, rather more than likely banned for hi-jinx in the mud pit too. Not here though, no I'm just given shit back and honestly to boot. "Other boards might tell you they don't put up with shit. Here we mean it. We give you shit back. Vaping Underground - Moderators":giggle:

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Look at that a moderator admiring it. Only in the Underground. *chuckles* Then only here can we give shit back without any getting too out of whack. For example I know on other boards I might have been banned creating ear worm posts for @f1r3b1rd . Possibly, rather more than likely banned for hi-jinx in the mud pit too. Not here though, no I'm just given shit back and honestly to boot. "Other boards might tell you they don't put up with shit. Here we mean it. We give you shit back. Vaping Underground - Moderators":giggle:
:p

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So this evening I thought I'd try an alien coil. I've never even done a three core anything yet. Maybe I shouldn't have skipped regular tri-core fused claptons.

I did the "No strech" method and it was a real challenge. It started off so well. I thought "Yay! I can make an Alien!" Um... Not yet lol. After about a half an inch, the wires collapsed. The darn paper clips I got are worthless. I might try Legos next.

Some photos of my handy work-
20200706_184230.jpg

Towards the center I got somewhat back on track. But then it all fell apart for me again :giggle:.
20200706_184512.jpg

I almost had enough for a 5 wrap coil.
20200706_184842_HDR(1).jpg

I'm not sure if that no stretch shit is for me. I have no alien experience but it felt like it was a distraction. Also, I might need magnifying glasses or a new background to see what I'm doing better. I think that'd be a big help. I also haven't been practicing nearly enough. Gotta walk before I can run..

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@MrMeowgi thank you for recommending n.devine83 on youtube! I watched his alien video and he's really thorough. I learned a lot and was able to make my first Alien stick! Woot woot!

Can you take a look at something for me? You might have to zoom in to see it. What looks weird to me is the last two wraps on the right in the picture below-
20200709_120751(1).jpg

It might be nothing or maybe they collapsed a bit but it looks like the cores twisted. I had them all strait and tight so I don't think they did. Maybe it's just an illusion? Still can't believe I was able to make what I did. :D

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I decided to try one more time and it turned out beautiful! I didn't make enough de-core for two coils but now I know.. My phone camera sucks so I went outside and took a photo of my second one with a tree in the background. If you zoom in it looks pretty good! I'm so pumped I can do this now!20200709_131011(1)(1).jpg
It's 3x26/36 so I'm going to pull off wraps until it 6 wraps but just made it big for the picture.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I decided to try one more time and it turned out beautiful! I didn't make enough de-core for two coils but now I know.. My phone camera sucks so I went outside and took a photo of my second one with a tree in the background. If you zoom in it looks pretty good! I'm so pumped I can do this now!View attachment 164601
It's 3x26/36 so I'm going to pull off wraps until it 6 wraps but just made it big for the picture.
Yes, adding an extra wrap and then pulling off half a wrap on either side (or adding two extra ones and then pulling off one on either side) is what makes the first and last wrap tidy. Using a coil tool is recommended to mount the coils because it allows you to pull on the coil in such a particular way that it will prevent the first half wrap from shrinking too much when you pull... so that the wick will be a little easier to insert.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes, adding an extra wrap and then pulling off half a wrap on either side (or adding two extra ones and then pulling off one on either side) is what makes the first and last wrap tidy.

Been "playing" with that a little for a bt now. I also been getting "too many" or "too few" wraps at times. It happens. I don't get too out of shape over it. Can always do up another coil.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Been "playing" with that a little for a bt now. I also been getting "too many" or "too few" wraps at times. It happens. I don't get too out of shape over it. Can always do up another coil.
When in doubt I just zoom them in with my phone. :giggle:

VU Sponsors