Become a Patron!

I have a bad feeling about this... Battery Drought Coming?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In all honesty I think that Mooch focuses more of his testing and conclusions based on high current vaping.
He tends to vape mechs it seems.

this is not a criticism just my observation/opinion.

But I wrote it on the internet so it must be true?

And if gsmit1 gets flack from Mooch over the question he can just blame it on the wacko Cromwell guy.

I believe that about 5 years is they most one can get from LI cells. Based on my vaping experience and with other LI battery packs and such.
I did get 10 years out of a lipo pack in my Kindle before it puffed up and pressed on the screen causing weird things to happen. Replaced it and all good.

The laptop I just replaced still works very well (except the keyboard!), even when running on battery, and holds a change pretty well unless you're watching vids or listening to music (which also drain a phone batt PDQ)... but I haven't used that laptop on batt very often, so maybe that's why?

Holding a charge well is why I always get 15.6 laptops rather than the huge 17.3 ones... those huge screens REALLY drain a batt FAST. And of course the 17.3 ones are MUCH heavier, just because they need more battery oomph, and batteries are heavy.

Andria

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So...what did he say?
It's best to watch that section which will be available soon.

In short he said you can double or triple the lifespan by best practices within their maximum life expectancy, but nothing will overcome "calendar aging." Aging over time.

They will get old and degraded no matter what we do, but you can make them last longer within that maximum life expectancy by how you use and maintain them.

He was saying pretty much what I've been saying much better than I've been saying it. :confused:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's best to watch that section which will be available soon.

In short he said you can double or triple the lifespan by best practices within their maximum life expectancy, but nothing will overcome "calendar aging." Aging over time.

They will get old and degraded no matter what we do, but you can make them last longer within that maximum life expectancy by how you use and maintain them.

He was saying pretty much what I've been saying much better than I've been saying it. :confused:
Yep kind of like humans...

And I was being a bit sarcastic in the 15 year thing :)
3-5 years seems to be best expected life from Li cells.
And that is if they are very good cells and very well treated.
I am happy with 3 years.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I am all about better batt life. But who has the time to watch n undercharge. Not me. N that only works if runnin low wattages

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Got a link for them? I'd never heard of them before that video above. Thx!

Andria

hmm not sure if they do the lower CDR high capacity cells you like Andria. P26A is their main 18650 ..replaced Sony’s VTC5A for me

all the main battery vendors should carry molicels now, mooch rates them also

having said that Sony VTC6 I found to be better and longer lasting than the 30Q at lower wattages

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't get it. A good battery costs about $6. They're good for at least 300 charges, supposedly. That's 2 cents per use. Imo, it's not worth putting out any effort other than slapping them into the charger, then taking them out.

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
mooch was unable to quantify calendar aging, so the argument continues.
if crom can get 5 years the way he mistreats batteries, i'll certainly get more.
talk to me in 7 years.
@Wb80 there is no watching with the right charger.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They're good for at least 300 charges

That would be less than a year but I have 2 sets of 2 I have been charging daily for years. Too many variables to say how long a battery will last. Just because I have a 72 month warranty on my battery in the truck it had to be replaced at 14 months because it kissed the ghost. I have also had a 60 Month battery last over 10 years.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I know what you mean. I've got two ex-wives that came with a lifetime warranty and neither lasted more than 4 years. They just don't make shit like they used to.

Like with everything you get what you pay for~!

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We just need a 510 adapter to fit the end of this cord- or china can just make one from the gitgo, coffee table vape power supply

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i see tesla batteries are supposed to last 8 years.
As Mooch said Tesla batteries are low current high capacity with outstanding battery management systems.
So yes they would likely get maximum life but they would not be good for most vapers to use.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
mooch was unable to quantify calendar aging, so the argument continues.
if crom can get 5 years the way he mistreats batteries, I'll certainly get more.
talk to me in 7 years.
vector-illustration-cartoon-farmer-man-260nw-127503002.jpg

@Wb80 there is no watching with the right charger.
That's true.

Whatever you do, do not get into mechanical devices. If you do, you are going to hurt yourself in the name of being right.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
hmm not sure if they do the lower CDR high capacity cells you like Andria. P26A is their main 18650 ..replaced Sony’s VTC5A for me

all the main battery vendors should carry molicels now, mooch rates them also

having said that Sony VTC6 I found to be better and longer lasting than the 30Q at lower wattages

Yeah, I prefer 3000mAh to the Molis' 2600, but it's not bad. For my son, they'd be great! He doesn't vape at very high wattage, 40w-ish, but he does use those very-low-resistance mesh coils, I think they're like .15Ω, the Geekvape Aero Mesh... so he figured it out to be about 14A -- but, he does that stupid "pocket carry" sometimes, and the wattage will get run up, so it would be good if the worst that happens is he burns out a coil, not that he blows his lips off! So far the 20A 25R's have been fine for him... but if they become unavailable, I'll get him some of those Moli flat-top 18650s.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As Mooch said Tesla batteries are low current high capacity with outstanding battery management systems.
So yes they would likely get maximum life but they would not be good for most vapers to use.

Would they have adequate CDR for low wattage (10-20w) vapers like you and me? Don't know what kind of coils you prefer; mine are always right at 2Ω or just under -- 8 wraps of 29ga around a 3/32 drillbit.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Would they have adequate CDR for low wattage (10-20w) vapers like you and me? Don't know what kind of coils you prefer; mine are always right at 2Ω or just under -- 8 wraps of 29ga around a 3/32 drillbit.

Andria
Yes but I think they are larger cells than 18650.
I expect they are maybe 10A max but not certain.
The are going for MAH not amps in the Tesla cells.

Yes but I think they are larger cells than 18650.
I expect they are maybe 10A max but not certain.
The are going for MAH not amps in the Tesla cells.
Tesla Model S has 600 18650's. Not sure what they are using now. From what I hear they were using Panasonic NCR19650B's at least in the beginning.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tesla Model S has 600 18650's. Not sure what they are using now. From what I hear they were using Panasonic NCR19650B's at least in the beginning.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk
a 6.8 amp CDR cell.

VU Sponsors