Become a Patron!

I have a question for alien vapor's

Smokey1471

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I have purchased an alien 220 watt mod a few weeks ago. I keep seeing things about firmware updates. The current version is 2.1.1 when the unit is powered on. Is the update really necessary, or needed? Or is the current version ok?
thanx

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The mod should function just fine with its factory firmware, though firmware updates on any mod has a great advantage of fixing bugs, faulty calculation algorithms, as well as updated features and improvements.

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's fine as is.
I'm still using V1.3.2 lol.
Upgrades usually enhance, refine or add new features that I'm currently not missing or unhappy with...;)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Actually I now have 2 but never even though about looking at what version of Firmware is on the New One...........

upload_2017-7-9_19-29-14.png

Smokey1471

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The mod should function just fine with its factory firmware, though firmware updates on any mod has a great advantage of fixing bugs, faulty calculation algorithms, as well as updated features and improvements.
Thank you so very much!! This info helps out a lot

Smokey1471

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
This info helps out a lot!!

Smokey1471

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I have had my Alien for about 7 months and although there is a Firmware update it works perfectly for me and I go by that old saying................

If it ain't broke don't fix it. :vino:
Exactly! I'm going to leave it alone. As long as it works ( which it does) why upgrade right?

kennedyhexohmfan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Yup! I had one when i began vaping, a great many a moon ago! Never needed to update anything. Personally, I think the update thing is more of a marketing gimmick than a necessary feature. I suppose the manufacturers feel that making a product with updatable software , makes the product more appealing to consumers. Its a good starter kit, don't worry about updating it.

VenomX

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I upgraded mine and it made no difference except the logo doesn't fade when you turn it on any more.
If you are going to upgrade remember to keep the fire button pressed throughout the whole process otherwise you risk messing it up !

CloudChasin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My USB port is non functioning on my alien, looks like by not being able to update I'm not missing too too much. Maybe I am though I'll never know hehe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokey1471

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
My USB port is non functioning on my alien, looks like by not being able to update I'm not missing too too much. Maybe I am though I'll never know hehe.

From what I've been told from the vape shop I frequent, it's better to use an actual battery charger to charge the batteries. Yes, using the USB on the mod is ok, but if u want equal and full charging, use a charger.

CloudChasin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From what I've been told from the vape shop I frequent, it's better to use an actual battery charger to charge the batteries. Yes, using the USB on the mod is ok, but if u want equal and full charging, use a charger.

That's what I ended up doing after the port broke. Batteries last longer after charging on an external charger.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I nearly had an aneurysm trying to update mine lol. Finally gave up. The original FW has served me just fine.

As for charging: I always use an external charger, and my wife always uses on board charging. I can't tell one iota of difference in performance. The Alien actually does balanced charging very well.

hendrikR

Member For 2 Years
i suggest using a rubber band or hair tie during the upgrade process :)

for the V version of this mod, after the update you get to see old and new resistance at the new coil screen . Other than that I didn't notice any changes, but I only use VW mode.

the resistance also seems to be more accurate

kennedyhexohmfan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Its not only about the quality of the charge, its about heat dissipation. Heat dissipates in external battery chargers, not so much inside your mod. Batteries get hot when they are being charged. They also charge allot faster on an external charger.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i suggest using a rubber band or hair tie during the upgrade process :)

for the V version of this mod, after the update you get to see old and new resistance at the new coil screen . Other than that I didn't notice any changes, but I only use VW mode.

the resistance also seems to be more accurate
That must have been a limitation on the older version. Mine came with vb 1.0.2 and whenever it asks about a new coil it shows both old/new resistance readings. I'm with SteveS45, if it ain't broke. I've left mine alone, sometimes things can be improved to death. Same with pc bios updates, graphics drivers, windows updates, game updates. Fix one thing and break 10 others. If it were arctic fox compatible I'd mess with it but it's not.

hendrikR

Member For 2 Years
VB always show both resistances.
The Alien I bought last month (V version) doesnt show that. They use the V board again, no idea why they switched again

VU Sponsors