• outrageously

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Biggie Slong

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yo guys,

Today I built my first coil and when unscrewing 2 of the screws were so tight I couldn't get them out so I sprayed a little of oil in there. Problem solved I assumed, I thought I got all the oil out but after wrapping everything up I started heating it and it produced this terrible smell. Got some extra juice on it but it's still unsmokeable.

I know I fucked up and in hindsight I should've probably used some juice to loosen up the screws but is there anything I can do at this point?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yo guys,

Today I built my first coil and when unscrewing 2 of the screws were so tight I couldn't get them out so I sprayed a little of oil in there. Problem solved I assumed, I thought I got all the oil out but after wrapping everything up I started heating it and it produced this terrible smell. Got some extra juice on it but it's still unsmokeable.

I know I fucked up and in hindsight I should've probably used some juice to loosen up the screws but is there anything I can do at this point?

Certainly: take out the coil and wash the attie with dish soap. Dry thoroughly, then recoil and rewick. Yes, use juice or pg or vg if anything needs "greasing up."

Call it lesson learned. Would only be retarded if you repeat the mistake :giggle:

Oh, and welcome to VU :wave:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
What kind of atty is it?

Everclear will strip some finishes on the outside - which I can tell you from personal experience :eek:

It won't hurt regular SS in the innards

Biggie Slong

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's an IMC-3, comes with the iJoy RDTA Box. I tried it with just soap but it's still giving an awful taste/smell. Starting to think maybe it isn't the oil but there is something else did wrong.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It's an IMC-3, comes with the iJoy RDTA Box. I tried it with just soap but it's still giving an awful taste/smell. Starting to think maybe it isn't the oil but there is something else did wrong.

You definitely need to clean the coil and replace the cotton if its RBA, or change coils if they are factory-made

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yeah want to try replace the coils now but the only ones I have laying around are these: http://www.gearbest.com/accessories/pp_360315.html?wid=21
Can I use these for my set-up?

You never said what your setup is, but probably.

I have never used notch coils. I would make sure you at least use Everclear or vodka to clean the outside of the coil. Some imported pre-made coils have a lot of residual oil on them that are horrible - that I do have experience with :p

Biggie Slong

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You never said what your setup is, but probably.

I have never used notch coils. I would make sure you at least use Everclear or vodka to clean the outside of the coil. Some imported pre-made coils have a lot of residual oil on them that are horrible - that I do have experience with :p
Well, I just mean that on the site it says they're made for a Wismec Theorem Atomizer while I have a IMC-3. Thanks for the tip, will clean them first

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You are what you vape! I cannot cast a vote as this is on the level of retardation that goes to 11 :)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
It sounds like you still have some oil hanging around somewhere.

Take out the two screws that were giving you trouble in the first place and put them and the rest of the tank in a bowl of hot-ish water with some dishwashing soap, let them soak and give them a bit of a stir a couple of times.

Then completly flush with clean water and then into a clean bowl full of water and just let them soak for a bit.

Flush again with water, let the parts dry, put them back together with a new coil and give it a go.

Biggie Slong

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It sounds like you still have some oil hanging around somewhere.

Take out the two screws that were giving you trouble in the first place and put them and the rest of the tank in a bowl of hot-ish water with some dishwashing soap, let them soak and give them a bit of a stir a couple of times.

Then completly flush with clean water and then into a clean bowl full of water and just let them soak for a bit.

Flush again with water, let the parts dry, put them back together with a new coil and give it a go.
I did what you said and tried some new coils today. Got the same shit taste and I'm pretty sure it isn't the oil anymore after several cleanings.
When heating the coils they got evenly heated so no problems there.

Anyone know what could be wrong?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You need to soak your atty in alcohol and also all Orings, etc do a TOTAL disassembly and cleaning.
Also Orings can sometimes absorb stuff and yu may need to replace them all.

Biggie Slong

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You need to soak your atty in alcohol and also all Orings, etc do a TOTAL disassembly and cleaning.
Also Orings can sometimes absorb stuff and yu may need to replace them all.
Already did soak it in alcohol, I feel like it's not the oil anymore. Wouldn't there also be some kind of taste of my flavor with it if it was just the oil? I just think maybe there is something else I'm doing wrong.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So that leaves orings, gaps under post insulators, etc.

Orings will and do absorb odors and flavors.

All oriings must be removed before cleaning.
With an oil infestation EVEERYTHING in the ATTY must be dissassembled aside from a replaceable coil which should be discarded and replaced with a new coil after cleaning has finished.
No amount of cleaning or soaking will remove oil from a coil.

Also after a 91% isopropyl soikiing wipe all surfaced down with clean paper towells and let the atty air dry disassembled for up to a day. Esp the orings.

If still taste bad then replace ALL of the orings.

If the atty is brass or copper than to MANY people it will taste bad. No amount of cleaning can fix that if you are sensitive to the taste of brass or copper.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors