Become a Patron!

I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

Cloverangel317

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been vaping since September 9th. Started with a kbox mini-c, and I've recently purchased a Smok Procolor with the X-baby tank. Everything I've read, everywhere, says my coils should last at least a week.... I'm not vaping more then 200 pulls a day, if it's more then that, it's like 210.... my pulls are no longer then 3.5 seconds EVER, and I typically vape around 30-40w. On my kbox mini-c I was using ssocc coils at 0.5ohms, ALWAYS primed them, sometimes longer then 10 minutes (is it bad to OVER saturate a coil in the beginning of its life, cuz I probably do?). And never had one coil last longer then 3 days. Now that I have the procolor, I'm able to keep track of my pulls, how long of a pull I have, etc... and I've had it for just under 2 weeks and I've gone through both coils the tank came with as well as 2 coils additional that I bought. The procolor coils I'm using are v8 x-baby m2 0.25ohms AND v8 x-baby x4 0.13 ohms. The x4 lasted me closer to 4 days, after I put holes in with a pin.
I am not using dark juices, though, I guess they are sweet ... 70/30 drip more strawberry kiwi at 6mg and 3mg. Sometimes that's the only juice my coil gets, sometimes I mix in strawberry palm from drip more. I've also used vani-tea, magnetic worm, and a local shops juice in a grape flavor @ a 50/50 mix.

I don't understand how I'm going through so many coils so quickly...if I go over that 3 second pull at 34w, I taste burnt coil... after 1 day. After 2 full days, I can already start seeing the blackness that's building up on the cotton. I do not chain vape, I do allow a few seconds between pulls, and sometimes, I even do pulls without firing just to make sure the cotton isn't dry before I take my pull.

What am I doing wrong? I am so frustrated and sad..... please help me.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I have been vaping since September 9th. Started with a kbox mini-c, and I've recently purchased a Smok Procolor with the X-baby tank. Everything I've read, everywhere, says my coils should last at least a week.... I'm not vaping more then 200 pulls a day, if it's more then that, it's like 210.... my pulls are no longer then 3.5 seconds EVER, and I typically vape around 30-40w. On my kbox mini-c I was using ssocc coils at 0.5ohms, ALWAYS primed them, sometimes longer then 10 minutes (is it bad to OVER saturate a coil in the beginning of its life, cuz I probably do?). And never had one coil last longer then 3 days. Now that I have the procolor, I'm able to keep track of my pulls, how long of a pull I have, etc... and I've had it for just under 2 weeks and I've gone through both coils the tank came with as well as 2 coils additional that I bought. The procolor coils I'm using are v8 x-baby m2 0.25ohms AND v8 x-baby x4 0.13 ohms. The x4 lasted me closer to 4 days, after I put holes in with a pin.
I am not using dark juices, though, I guess they are sweet ... 70/30 drip more strawberry kiwi at 6mg and 3mg. Sometimes that's the only juice my coil gets, sometimes I mix in strawberry palm from drip more. I've also used vani-tea, magnetic worm, and a local shops juice in a grape flavor @ a 50/50 mix.

I don't understand how I'm going through so many coils so quickly...if I go over that 3 second pull at 34w, I taste burnt coil... after 1 day. After 2 full days, I can already start seeing the blackness that's building up on the cotton. I do not chain vape, I do allow a few seconds between pulls, and sometimes, I even do pulls without firing just to make sure the cotton isn't dry before I take my pull.

Can you tell be where you bought the Smok Procolor with the X-baby tank?

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Don't oversaturate your coil, for the baby coils 1-2 drops on the side holes and top of the cotton holes. If you do flood it, take a paper towel, wrap around the air holes, and give a couple good blows. You should let your coil set up longer than 10 minutes for a 30pg 70vg mix, I'd say closer to ~20, but that's just me. Also smok coils can be shit at times, mine have lasted anywhere between 6 hours and 2 weeks, it's a crap shoot.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Might want to try a T8 coil (.15) at a higher wattage. I use the T8 on all my Baby/Big Baby tanks at about 55-65 watts. I can get at least a week or more with one coil.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Bought them separately from eightvape.
Was asking because a lot of ebay sellers sell clones as authentic.

As stated by another member above it can be a crap shoot with some coils.
(Also smok coils can be shit at times, mine have lasted anywhere between 6 hours and 2 weeks, it's a crap shoot.)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This could also be a juice issue. If it's dark in color and/or loaded with sweeteners (as most commercial juices are), it would definitely shorten your coil life.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I use the SSOCC coils in my Nebox I have the .5Ω and I usually vape that around 25w- maybe your watts are too high for you being a new vaper?
I have been vaping for almost 3 years and usually never vape above 30w as it does get too hot, and can taste burnt! Maybe the 30w-40w you are vaping at are too hot for you?
Maybe try the SSOCC coils again but try to get the 1.5Ω and try dialing down your wattage. It may help- I have been using the SSOCC coils for almost 2 years and last 3 weeks or more in the Nebox.
https://www.eightvape.com/products/...ls-by-kangetech-pack-of-5?variant=19256686598
I know nothing about the X Baby tank- again maybe try different coils instead of the high wattage coils you are using- they have a .4Ω at EightVape
Again being a new vaper- using too high of watts can taste hot and burnt. Try ramping up the watts from 10w- up to 30w slowly to break in the coil- Also see if maybe the lower watts will work and taste better and not burn out so quickly.
Best of luck to you and Congrats on vaping- just keep trying!

V8 X-Baby Q2 Dual Core (Pack of 3)

• Dual Coil Design
  • 0.4Ω rated for 30-80W, recommended 45-60W

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
if it tarts tasting burnt in 1 day or so its not wicking fast enough put some pin holes through your cotton before you prime it

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've tried that, only extends it by a day at most.

You've unfortunately discovered very early why so many people start learning to make their own coils -- commercial ones are usually shit.

Andria

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You've unfortunately discovered very early why so many people start learning to make their own coils --
commercial ones are usually shit.
I would have to disagree with this...

In fact, IMO coil heads advanced so fast and become good enough that I have completely dropped all my RTAs.

Just gotta get the right tank...

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I would have to disagree with this...

In fact, IMO coil heads advanced so fast and become good enough that I have completely dropped all my RTAs.

Just gotta get the right tank...
You can re-wick a home wrapped coil, as well as dry burn before you re-wick to remove the build up. Burnt taste? Change the cotton.. maybe 3 cents. Coils totally burnt out? Build 2 more.. 40 cents. (based on $4.00 for 9 meters wire at 6 inches per coil) vs install a new coil, take one hit and replace bc it was not saturated or your wattage was to high.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You can re-wick a home wrapped coil, as well as dry burn before you re-wick to remove the build up. Burnt taste? Change the cotton.. maybe 3 cents. Coils totally burnt out? Build 2 more.. 40 cents. (based on $4.00 for 9 meters wire at 6 inches per coil) vs install a new coil, take one hit and replace bc it was not saturated or your wattage was to high.

This exactly! Though mine would come to about FOUR AND A HALF CENTS per coil, since the wire I bought was $4.50/50ft and I never use dual coils; I use about 6" of wire for each coil, so I have plenty to work with when fastening the leads under the screws. Each coil lasts about 3-4 wks, since I dry burn usually 3-4 times before replacing. The cotton I use (Shiseido) was $9 (from Nordstrom, w/free shipping) for an enormous pkg which I bought about 2 yrs ago, and have not used half of yet.

This is why I will NEVER AGAIN use commercial coils -- even if they're not shit (though they usually are!), they're too goddamn expensive. The best thing about vaping, to me, is not throwing away so much money constantly.

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I also would suggest keeping your watts around 30 to 27w. Since 34 is burning the coil. Just because your mod will do more watts doesn't mean you have to. LOL .. my mod is 220 watts.. but i vape between 75 and 150. Depending on the build.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I also would suggest keeping your watts around 30 to 27w. Since 34 is burning the coil. Just because your mod will do more watts doesn't mean you have to. LOL .. my mod is 220 watts.. but i vape between 75 and 150. Depending on the build.

And also THIS exactly! My mods run from 30w to 75w... and I never ever vape over 10w.... usually around 9.5w. Which is maybe why my coils last a month, despite my highly-flavored sweet ejuice?

Andria

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This exactly! Though mine would come to about FOUR AND A HALF CENTS per coil.....

This is why I will NEVER AGAIN use commercial coils -- even if they're not shit (though they usually are!), they're too goddamn expensive.
The best thing about vaping, to me, is not throwing away so much money constantly.
Now you've moved the target from 'they're all crap' to they're too expensive'.
Okay, I'll play....

What separates us apparently, is how we value our TIIIME. (< All caps rant effect for Andria:))
Your 'coil math' above ignores the HOUR LONG (< All caps rant effect for Andria:)) process of BUILDING (<--same deal here) the RTA.

So that 4 1/2 cent cost you quoted would be quite a bit higher for me AND MOST PEOPLE (<--last one, I promise)
because my time has value. And I'm not spending 30-40 dollars worth of it to build and RTA anymore.

Math, I guess that's the difference...

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Okay, I'll play....

What separates us apparently, is how we value our TIIIME. (< All caps rant effect for Andria:))
Your 'coil math' above ignores the HOUR LONG (< All caps rant effect for Andria:)) process of BUILDING (<--same deal here) the RTA.

So that 4 1/2 cent cost you quoted would be quite a bit higher for me AND MOST PEOPLE (<--last one, I promise)
because my time has value. And I'm not spending 30-40 dollars worth of it to build and RTA anymore.

Time? It takes 5 mins to wrap and mount a coil. Total non-issue.

Andria

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Time? It takes 5 mins to wrap and mount a coil..

Really??? That's quite a claim...

Well then I'll tell ya what... You post a video of yourself correctly rebuilding a dual coil RTA in 5 minutes,
and I will send you a $100 bill, Andria.

It's free money... show me.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Well then I'll tell ya what... You post a video of yourself correctly rebuilding a dual coil RTA in 5 minutes,

I don't use RTAs, and I never use dual coils. Both pretty much suck. Even dual coil cartos sucked.

Andria

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Section 1 - Coil Gunking and/or Coil Clogging Liquids Variables
1) High VG liquids - VG being syrupy and thick wicks slower, yes it gives more vapor cloud but it wicks slower than thinner PG liquids. Secondly, VG, especially VG extracted from palm seed and other sweeter VG extracts is used as a sweetener is certain things so you get a double whammy with High VG liquid (70% VG and higher). These two issues can cause scorching of the wicking (slow wicking speed) especially if you chain vape, and the sweetness builds up as carbon on the coil wire and in the wicking material, insulating the wire itself and chocking the wicking down inside the wicking itself
2) Highly Sweet Liquid - Like the sweetness factor of VG, highly sweet liquids, these sweeteners don't vape off really well so build up as carbon, sweeter the liquid, more gunking you get, highly sweet fruits, bakery flavors, sweet tobacco flavors, custards, creams, milk flavors, yogurt flavors, some coffee flavors, the list is long here
3) Liquid Colorings - these do not vape off at all, like sweeteners they clog up and carbon up in the wicking, the more you move from almost clear or almost pale yellow in color on the liquid the more your liquid will clog a coil.

Priming a Factory Coil head *This applies every time you change out a coil*
1) Saturate any exposed wicking material, sides and down the top
2) Install the coil head, assemble the tank, and fill the tank
3) Let Sit for a few, Higher PG liquids let sit for about 5 to 10 minutes, Higher VG Liquids this time is about 15 to 20 minutes (70%VG) maybe more for even thicker like a 90% VG (see Section 1, Item 1)
4) Most coil heads have a wattage range (generally two a low number and a high number, example say optimal performance of 50 to 80 watts), set your mod down below that low number, from our example of 50 to 80 watts, 50 watts is our low number, set the watts on the mod 5 to 10 watts below that to start, so 40 to 45 watts in this example, you do not buy a brand new Ferrari and expect off the dealer lot to be doing max 150MPH everywhere, you have to gently break the motor in before you can expect max performance from the motor or you will destroy the motor, same principle applies with a factory coil head
5) Choke down the air flow, take several unpowered pulls (do not press the fire button yet), we are creating proper vacuum in the tank and chamber to wick properly
6) Now in short bursts start vaping, not going to be stellar usual performance just yet, we are gradually and gently breaking in the wicking material here, at this low watts setting we stay here for about 20 minutes of continuous use, after that bump up the wattage about 5 to 10 watts, vape at that setting for about 10 to 15 minutes continuous use, rinse and repeat until you are at the level you normally vape at, or the vapor and flavor really pop and shine, if at a higher wattage setting flavor becomes decreased and/or anemic drop the watts down to the previous setting you had, this will be the optimal watts for the tank, airflow, coil head, juice itself, and you.
7) Caveat and Warning - If you get a harsh, burnt and/or scorched hit, game over on that coil head, you've scorched the wicking, start and step 1 with a new coil head.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

A simple build, I would say very much doable.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Despite all the suggestion and the game of who's dick is bigger at the end, let me chime in too and name the problem right here, smok.

Smoks coils are these special snowflakes in the vaping world, and need to be treated as such. But even with the most care these coils won't last very long, if not being baby sit at least once a day.

I could now go into detail and explain the way of priming them, cleaning them (yes you can with these), even saying how smok rates their coils to high, making these recommendations on the side useless etc. But nobody got time for that lol, you're better off buying some other tanks with commercial coils, some are compatible with different brands, giving you a better selection and sales. Or start building, while it might not be as simple and cheap at the beginning, especially for beginners but after a while you figure it out and won't look back.

If you still would like an explanation on how to prime smok coils etc, let me know and I'll write that novel.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Okay, I'll play....

Point was, if you build you don't need to worry about getting crappy coils.
Now since you are just sitting around vaping at home, you actually make your time worth MORE by building.
Hour long process? How many coils do you make at once? If it takes you an hour to build 2 coils, you are doing something seriously wrong. "Most people" by the way can master simple coils and single core claptons after 3 builds or so. They aren't hard to do. You don't have to build dual core alien zipper clapton coils.
Simple coils I can make in less than 30 seconds each. Single core claptons about 5 min for 2, dual core 10min per 2. But Im just sitting watching tv and vaping while im doing it.
"A penny saved is a penny earned"

Now if you don't want to build, then don't.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Point was, if you build you don't need to worry about getting crappy coils.
Now since you are just sitting around vaping at home, you actually make your time worth MORE by building.
Hour long process? How many coils do you make at once? If it takes you an hour to build 2 coils, you are doing something seriously wrong. "Most people" by the way can master simple coils and single core claptons after 3 builds or so. They aren't hard to do. You don't have to build dual core alien zipper clapton coils.
Simple coils I can make in less than 30 seconds each. Single core claptons about 5 min for 2, dual core 10min per 2. But Im just sitting watching tv and vaping while im doing it.
"A penny saved is a penny earned"

Now if you don't want to build, then don't.

Fused Claptons take me a bit but I am doing them by hand. I did up some N80 into Fused Clapton wire, about 4 inches and it took me around ten minutes to do that. Again though I'm doing it by hand, using a vice grip plier to hold and twist the core/s. I guide the wrapping wire on by pinching it in my finers of the free hand.

MichelleTearsofCrimson

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

What am I doing wrong? I am so frustrated and sad..... please help me.[/QUOTE]

The TFV8 X-baby coils SUCK you are doing nothing wrong! I went through 6 (count them again) 6 packs of M2 and Q2 Coils wondering what I was doing wrong before I tossed the Beast Brother in my discarded vape cabinet. I primed, I replaced O rings, Took the thing apart, Put it together again, the COILS SUCK!!! Are you picking up on my frustration here? Yeah not happy and until they fix their SUCKY coils I won't buy another Smok product!

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fused Claptons take me a bit but I am doing them by hand. I did up some N80 into Fused Clapton wire, about 4 inches and it took me around ten minutes to do that. Again though I'm doing it by hand, using a vice grip plier to hold and twist the core/s. I guide the wrapping wire on by pinching it in my finers of the free hand.
By hand?

Jesus just get a drill, all you really need is a basic drill and they're pretty damn cheap. Hell with the cost of Smokes where I live for the cost of two packs you can buy a decent drill.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Kanger Toptank or an Eleaf Ello tank would serve you better. Another one I hear recommended a lot is the Vaporesso Estoc Mega. All have a good selection of coils that provide good flavor and decent coil life at a reasonable price. You'll build when your ready. Don't stress about it if you're not there yet. Some never start building.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
By hand?

Jesus just get a drill, all you really need is a basic drill and they're pretty damn cheap. Hell with the cost of Smokes where I live for the cost of two packs you can buy a decent drill.

*grin* Well, I now got one of those Daedalus building kits heading my way thanks to FastTech. I've seen plenty using drills on Youtube too, had thought about it. Sometimes the thinking about it doesn't quite mesh up with the doing for me.

Don't mind paying a little more than the cost of a basic drill. Thought I had one but realized the wife got one of those powered screwdrivers, accepted only screwdriver bits and had no drill chuck. Also saw a drill chuck maybe even FastTech for under $5 for a Dremel which I have, not sure where I tossed the link of it. *chuckles*

Been moving, splitting & sawing up firewood, doing various other odd tasks (stood on my head one day for about forty five minutes to ensure a pilot light stayed lit), ... it's a wonder my mind even functions, maybe it's not and all of this is a dream, hm ...

"Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here nor there"

Run Away Train

Seems the way of it.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Amish claptons

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
*grin* Well, I now got one of those Daedalus building kits heading my way thanks to FastTech. I've seen plenty using drills on Youtube too, had thought about it. Sometimes the thinking about it doesn't quite mesh up with the doing for me.

Don't mind paying a little more than the cost of a basic drill. Thought I had one but realized the wife got one of those powered screwdrivers, accepted only screwdriver bits and had no drill chuck. Also saw a drill chuck maybe even FastTech for under $5 for a Dremel which I have, not sure where I tossed the link of it. *chuckles*

Been moving, splitting & sawing up firewood, doing various other odd tasks (stood on my head one day for about forty five minutes to ensure a pilot light stayed lit), ... it's a wonder my mind even functions, maybe it's not and all of this is a dream, hm ...

Seems the way of it.
My recommendation is just spend the $30-$40 get a High Speed Variable Speed drill with keyless chuck and some ball bearing fishing spinners. Spinning up fused claptons is actually pretty damn easy all it does it take a little bit of practice. Start with something like 26g core wire and 34g wrapping wire, you'll screw up a few tries then you'll get the hang of it.

This video was the game changer for me, hell I can even knock out 34gx2/44g fused claptons without problems.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My recommendation is just spend the $30-$40 get a High Speed Variable Speed drill with keyless chuck and some ball bearing fishing spinners. Spinning up fused claptons is actually pretty damn easy all it does it take a little bit of practice.

Well, what I'm getting is not much more than that cost. Pretty sure I've seen this Grimm Green video a few times at least. :) It is a real good video with the process explained clearly. I usually pick things up well after seeing one or two demonstrations of how to do them, then I'll always do it that way to the perfection of being a fault at times. This is why I had the capacity to do up Claptons by hand, saw the process and adapted it to function using only vise grip pliers to hold and end and twist the core wire/s. :)

As I said, it's not the fault of anything or anyone else. I simply have not been able to get there as far as getting beyond thinking of doing so. Life happens and to borrow from John Lennon, "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." :) I'm not faulting or blaming anyone or anything in particular. Well, maybe I blame myself a smidgen for lacking a bit of resolve at times, still it's not anything to wad my panties over or yours. :)

This video was the game changer for me, hell I can even knock out 34gx2/44g fused claptons without problems.

I've no doubt you're quite capable. In fact, I know you're well beyond the capacity of spinning out quite a wealth of Clapton wire. :) I'm being sincere and not sarcastic. I write that last sentence so you and everyone knows my intent, seems I need to write more clearly at times. That happens too in life. :) We each learn differing processes to adapt and continue living, life. If we stop learning then what of life? I'll keep learning every day, thanks. :)

Today I learned, ... I had not forgotten how to use a French Press to make coffee. Along with this learning came the experience and further lesson that four 30 ml scoops of coffee make a small pot rather strong. :) I can probably use only two scoops and be fine.

Excuse me, need to check on some juice. Not quite gotten to getting myself set up with a small hobbyist DIY juice making set up yet. Starting to see a pattern with me, maybe? Seems I get busy and go and do but always find myself lacking. :) Aw well, I'll keep going, good luck/fortune will find me as it needs. Sorry, no, I do not know where I'm going. I do know though I'll get there quicker. :) ;) :p

VU Sponsors