Become a Patron!

I must preach the gospel of PWM to the masses.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Hi, i am looking to build my first pwm mod. I would like to know if the batteries are fully charged then drop to say 7v after a while of vaping, do you need to turn the pot up to get the same vape experience as when it was fully charged? Or does the voltage stay consistent until it is close to the depleted battery?

Yes. Unless it's very accurate RMS PWM with a 3-4S+ input, you'll notice drop offs in power at the same setting as your batteries die. PWM uses the maximum voltage of the cells constantly, it's just an unregulated box mod circuit made regulated. How? Well imagine you're the Flash and can press the firing button quicker than any human, that's what a 555 is doing in a PWM mod essentially with the pot an adjuster dial to tell it how much to pulse it. A PWM circuit is turning the power on and off at a set rate with the potentiometer setting being what tells it HOW OFTEN to pulse. At 100% on the pot, most mods simply will just fire directly. Like an unregulated box, as the 555 switches off and the board allows the maximum battery voltage to just pass through it.

So yes, in 2-3S PWM circuits that use a regular duty cycle, you will notice a drop off as the cells get lower. Just turn the pot up or use an input of 4S or higher to prevent this, as high voltage setups like a 4S can take a long time before you notice a drop in your power.

Yes. Unless it's very accurate RMS PWM with a 3-4S+ input, you'll notice drop offs in power at the same setting as your batteries die. PWM uses the maximum voltage of the cells constantly, it's just an unregulated box mod circuit made regulated. How? Well imagine you're the Flash and can press the firing button quicker than any human, that's what a 555 is doing in a PWM mod essentially with the pot an adjuster dial to tell it how much to pulse it. A PWM circuit is turning the power on and off at a set rate with the potentiometer setting being what tells it HOW OFTEN to pulse. At 100% on the pot, most mods simply will just fire directly. Like an unregulated box, as the 555 switches off and the board allows the maximum battery voltage to just pass through it.

So yes, in 2-3S PWM circuits that use a regular duty cycle, you will notice a drop off as the cells get lower. Just turn the pot up or use an input of 4S or higher to prevent this, as high voltage setups like a 4S can take a long time before you notice a drop in your power.

Thank you for your fast reply and also thanks for the guide just reading it now.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Thank you for your fast reply and also thanks for the guide just reading it now.

No problem, if you have any more questions feel free to PM me. I'll get on Skype with you and walk you through your first mod making process if you'd like as well. I want as many modders available to the community as possible. We need them now more than ever.

No problem, if you have any more questions feel free to PM me. I'll get on Skype with you and walk you through your first mod making process if you'd like as well. I want as many modders available to the community as possible. We need them now more than ever.

I would really appreciate that! As soon as i compile the parts that i need i will start posting my progress. Im thinking of going with big al's ipwm board with 2 or 3 18650 and making a disguiser styled mod (hopfully).

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I would really appreciate that! As soon as i compile the parts that i need i will start posting my progress. Im thinking of going with big al's ipwm board with 2 or 3 18650 and making a disguiser styled mod (hopfully).

You want to make a squonker? Fat Daddy V4/V5 have bottom fed versions in stock you can use, then from there all you have to do is make sure there's space for a bottle under the 510.

I recommend using a CNC ATI 1590N1 box for a triple 18650 squonk. Gives room for a triple series sled, a squonk bottle and everything else. For a dual 18650 squonk, a 1590B ATI CNC would work.

EDIT: Nevermind, not a squonk.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Nevermind, I mistook the disguiser with a squonker.

Making a box like that IS doable, but you'd need a heavily modified or extremely specific enclosure.

Your best bet may be taking an actual disguiser or a railbox, gutting it and rebuilding it for a PWM circuit.

GBusafvet95

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am enjoying this thread. Learning a lot and looking forward to more.
Thanks, Mikhail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Luke Gunstar? He engraves all my mods for customers.

Also, I made a triple series 20700 PWM mod, I LOVE it dude.
no leonard young. here are some pics
GqFVr9K.jpg

NWWBDjG.jpg

30 for gs, 40 for bs, and 50 for n1s so pricing seems good. I guess i really wouldn't know lol

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi, i am looking to build my first pwm mod. I would like to know if the batteries are fully charged then drop to say 7v after a while of vaping, do you need to turn the pot up to get the same vape experience as when it was fully charged? Or does the voltage stay consistent until it is close to the depleted battery?
you have to turn up the pot

Making a box like that IS doable, but you'd need a heavily modified or extremely specific enclosure.

Your best bet may be taking an actual disguiser or a railbox, gutting it and rebuilding it for a PWM circuit.
it is a sqounker if you buy the kit for it.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor

Are those vinyl wrap engravings or does he like acid etch the art into the box? His engravings are really nice, I know for full box shit like that Luke does some sort of laser wrap that is not vinyl and for normal stuff he just does a straight engraving.

I was planning on making my own box from plexi. My friend works in a plexi factory and i can pinch a few bits of scrap to butcher into my own box mod. If that doesnt work out i will buy a normal box and move the parts to that. I am planning to drill the holes for the battries and the atty out of a block then cut it in half and route out the remaing space i need for components. Then use lots of magnets all the way around the block to hold the cut block back together again. If that doesnt work then i will have to have a go at 3d drawing and getting it cnc cut or just buy a box.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Are those vinyl wrap engravings or does he like acid etch the art into the box? His engravings are really nice, I know for full box shit like that Luke does some sort of laser wrap that is not vinyl and for normal stuff he just does a straight engraving.
it's laser engraved into the box. only works with anodized metal

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Brimstone3D has some nice ass 3D printed enclosures you could jury rig into a disguiser type situation. I would try those before plexi, as I've worked with plexi and drilling clean holes into it is damned near impossible because of the way it splinters and shit when you punch through it.

Brimstone3D has some nice ass 3D printed enclosures you could jury rig into a disguiser type situation. I would try those before plexi, as I've worked with plexi and drilling clean holes into it is damned near impossible because of the way it splinters and shit when you punch through it.

Thanks for the tips and Brimstone 3d have some really nice enclosures.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks for the tips and Brimstone 3d have some really nice enclosures.

I do not recommend you buy their ATI enclosures. Buy those from the actual ATI store on Ebay. As the ATI store versions come directly from the manufacturer and also include free N52 magnets. Brimstone 3D does not include magnets. Also the ATI store has more variants, like versions with a .28 perfectly center volt meter slot already cut into the enclosure.

Thank you Mikhail for all the advice. I have now changed my mind im going to build a normal box mod first then build a mess mod second. If you wouldnt mind could you give me some advise on parts please.
I would like to get Big Al's iPWM Battery sled combo (2x18650), but i cannot see the dimensions and was wondering if you know if it will fit in Alpinetech G+ Alu Volt cutout box?
Also could you advise me on a good quality 12mm button and where to buy it from?

Thank you

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I do not recommend you buy their ATI enclosures. Buy those from the actual ATI store on Ebay. As the ATI store versions come directly from the manufacturer and also include free N52 magnets. Brimstone 3D does not include magnets. Also the ATI store has more variants, like versions with a .28 perfectly center volt meter slot already cut into the enclosure.

Thanks for the article Mik helped a lot a great read matey :)

if you edit it at any point would like to know more on the components themselves best, worst, and in between, difference between what they can do that kind of thing you have got elements in there already just bulk out and give a little more on it if that's ok? Like never go below these minimum specs :)

What's the difference between the 4S and 6S out of interest?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also could you advise me on a good quality 12mm button and where to buy it from?
It's on that same ATI store ebay page... this one:
Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitec-MSW-1202-12mm-Stainless-Steel-PushButton-Switch-RaisedTop-/222377047227

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My 2 cents on PWM topic. Non-RMS PWMs can do curious things. For example, a good ole Itaste 134 is one of these dinosaurs, as it's pulsing really slow. If you're running a small coil with high resistance and low heat capacity, on lower wattages it will really pulse your vape. I cannot properly describe the effect, but it's very refreshing with fruity flavors, especially if your liquid has a higher PG content.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Thank you Mikhail for all the advice. I have now changed my mind im going to build a normal box mod first then build a mess mod second. If you wouldnt mind could you give me some advise on parts please.
I would like to get Big Al's iPWM Battery sled combo (2x18650), but i cannot see the dimensions and was wondering if you know if it will fit in Alpinetech G+ Alu Volt cutout box?

Thank you

I like 12mm Mitecs. Flush or raised and color is up to your preferences. ATI store on Ebay is where I usually shop for my 510's and switches.

And yeah, that sled will easily fit in a 1590G sized enclosure.

Last edited:

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Is there any way I could go about advertising my modding services here to some degree? I have stock, I have knowledge, I have talent, I even have reference pictures. I just don't really have a way of advertising my services to people outside of local sales which I've been depending on up until now. I quit my job to pursue this full time as it clearly has promise and I have passion involved in this which my old job couldn't offer. I may look into building a website, but it's useless if nobody knows to visit it. Any mods or rule savvy forum members who see this, let me know please.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Is there any way I could go about advertising my modding services here to some degree? I have stock, I have knowledge, I have talent, I even have reference pictures. I just don't really have a way of advertising my services to people outside of local sales which I've been depending on up until now. I quit my job to pursue this full time as it clearly has promise and I have passion involved in this which my old job couldn't offer. I may look into building a website, but it's useless if nobody knows to visit it. Any mods or rule savvy forum members who see this, let me know please.
contact the mods. maybe get set up as an unlisted vendor?

I think the best way to start would be to make a few mods and list them for sale in the hardware section

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great Education on PWM thank you.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
contact the mods. maybe get set up as an unlisted vendor?

I think the best way to start would be to make a few mods and list them for sale in the hardware section

I thought of doing this, but a lot of people want CUSTOM mods when buying from modders. That's the issue I've ran into, anyway. When I make a box without a reference it usually turns out the same every time. A 1590N1 CNC enclosure, .28 volt meter, 30mm Varitube V2 510, some 12mm or 16mm Mitec raised button variant, a Big Al's 2S-6S lipo iPWM, an XT60, 12AWG silicone wire for all load bearing connections and 26AWG silicone wire for the switch, pot and meter.

Every time man. I end up creating a giant lipo PWM mod. Because that's what -I- like and use, it's what I make when I have no reference or blueprint from a customer. I don't even mean to, I try to do it different but the only difference that ends up being put into the box are part colors and size. MAYBE.

So if you think people will buy a CNC 1590N1 iPWM lipo mod, I have like.. four. Though I could make some XT60 connected triple series sleds if people wanted an 18650 or 20700 mod.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I thought of doing this, but a lot of people want CUSTOM mods when buying from modders. That's the issue I've ran into, anyway. When I make a box without a reference it usually turns out the same every time. A 1590N1 CNC enclosure, .28 volt meter, 30mm Varitube V2 510, some 12mm or 16mm Mitec raised button variant, a Big Al's 2S-6S lipo iPWM, an XT60, 12AWG silicone wire for all load bearing connections and 26AWG silicone wire for the switch, pot and meter.

Every time man. I end up creating a giant lipo PWM mod. Because that's what -I- like and use, it's what I make when I have no reference or blueprint from a customer. I don't even mean to, I try to do it different but the only difference that ends up being put into the box are part colors and size. MAYBE.

So if you think people will buy a CNC 1590N1 iPWM lipo mod, I have like.. four. Though I could make some XT60 connected triple series sleds if people wanted an 18650 or 20700 mod.
it's a start for sure and people looking to buy always browse that section. I get alerts whenever a new item is posted. you could also add in the thread that if someone wanted a custom setup you can do that as well

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Ok
I have 2 PWM mods both Xohm DImeboxs
I LOVE THESE THINGS
and they are FDA proof except for the 510

That is part of the beauty of these things. You can replace a board,switch,button etc with regular easily available parts

I am not much into building them myself
so i am on the look out for cheap ones all the time and by cheap I mean the $50-70 range I got both my xohms on a closout for like $60 each

So I know of nymbis mods xohm, hexohm

Most of what I find is in the $100-200 range

Can anyone suggest other modders selling these pwm mods
preferable with an lcd so I can at least read the battery level

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Ok
I have 2 PWM mods both Xohm DImeboxs
I LOVE THESE THINGS
and they are FDA proof except for the 510

That is part of the beauty of these things. You can replace a board,switch,button etc with regular easily available parts

I am not much into building them myself
so i am on the look out for cheap ones all the time and by cheap I mean the $50-70 range I got both my xohms on a closout for like $60 each

So I know of nymbis mods xohm, hexohm

Most of what I find is in the $100-200 range

Can anyone suggest other modders selling these pwm mods

Me. (Halp plz quit job no m0n3yz)

In all seriousness, well I will build mods if you want to buy them I quit my job to do it, but otherwise there's all sorts of modders. I do NOT recommend Nymbis for reasons stated above. Mad Modder is a good one. Luke Gunstar makes nice stuff. James Sampson, though I think he quit..

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Maybe you could make it dual 26650, and build it like a tank with custom art just like the Big Poppa (video below), but make it PWM instead of mech. :)

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

http://vapingunderground.com/forums/unlisted-vendors.170/
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/unlisted-vendors-guidelines.221414/
IF YOU DO NOT QUALIFY FOR THE AUTHORIZED VU VENDOR SUB FORUM:

• You will be permitted to use the unlisted vendors forum (link below) until you do qualify.

• Our vendor rules apply for all vendors as well as the unlisted vendor rules below.

• http://vapingunderground.com/forums/unlisted-vendors.170/

• As a unlisted vendor you will NOT have moderating powers or the ability to edit posts as you would as a authorized VU vendor.

UNLISTED VENDOR GUIDELINES:

1. As an unlisted vendor you are permitted to post in ONE thread in our Unlisted Vendor Forum and ONE thread in our Sales and Promotions forum
    • You may make multiple posts within said threads… but you must keep them contained to your ONE thread in either forum.
  2. You are free to edit the title of your thread as it relates to any changes to your shop.

3. You will be permitted to run a single contest at a time in our Contests Forum

4. All business related posts, ie: ads, promotions, web links MUST remain in one of the two threads.

5. Multiple threads will be merged to a single thread, and points against your account will be issued.

Failure to comply with the above guidelines can/will result in the limitation to a single thread in our unlisted vendor forum, and/or removal of authorized vendor status and sub forum, and/or removal from our forum.

PLEASE PM @SMOKIE or email [email protected] to request your sub forum or for any further assistance, Thank You, Vape On!

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I just placed orders for 60A 300W Raptor and 80A 400W Delta DC-DC converters and custom breakout boards for each to make wiring them up much fucking easier.

My god, what am I doing? I know it's not PWM and it can't offer over 300-400W when my PWM's offer up to 3,000W on a 4S so I know it won't be replacing PWM For me, but damn. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@Mikhail Naumov what do you think of voltroves NLPWM seems to take a lot of the work out of making a mod for first time out moders like myself?

Has pretty much everything you need on one board no need for a seperate pot or mosfet as far as I can tell (go easy if I'm wrong I'm only researching at the moment hehe)...If you were first time out would this be the way to go or would you go with something else?

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

This is what PWM is - you see the height of the pulse is always the same - thats full voltage of the battery. The frequency (number of pulses per second) stays pretty much the same. The width of the pulse (duty cycle) is changed by the potentiometer which changes the duration of the 'high' signal. This happens because of the time it takes to discharge through a capacitor is altered by the amount of resistance in that part of the circuit. That signal you see on the scope is then fed to a mosfet which switches the power source through the 510 (at whatever frequency you decided to tune the timer circuit to).

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Mikhail Naumov what do you think of voltroves NLPWM seems to take a lot of the work out of making a mod for first time out moders like myself?

Has pretty much everything you need on one board no need for a seperate pot or mosfet as far as I can tell (go easy if I'm wrong I'm only researching at the moment hehe)...If you were first time out would this be the way to go or would you go with something else?

From what I understand, and I'm in the same boat as you, I think Big Al's iPWM sled is the easiest and cheapest as well.
Let's see what Mikhail has to say, I'm curious too.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
From what I understand, and I'm in the same boat as you, I think Big Al's iPWM sled is the easiest and cheapest as well.
Let's see what Mikhail has to say, I'm curious too.

Well so far from what I've looked into board wise

I know I don't want to use a DNA or YiHi I already own mods with those chipsets and am pleased using them already

OKL or Raptor options limit you to 6v the former used in the hexohm mods earlier versions

Think I want a PWM board for sure just to pick which one now

PWM / IPWM / NLPWM

Like the idea of the last one for my beginner build as I'm not gonna have to muck about having to solder loads of bits in the device it's got inbuilt mosfet and volt reader as well as selecting the voltage through the actuators (instead of having a seperate potentiometer) saw a mod using it looks really sharp

http://allaboute-cigarettes.proboards.com/thread/65625/nlpwm

Like how they said well done on the windows lol he cheated CNC do that mod enclosure with the window precut for you

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/221896748764?_mwBanner=1&varId=520790026909

The only downside of that board is it's not cheap and the whole point of this is to keep the cost down otherwise I might as well buy the hexohm V3 and be done with it lol

Last edited:

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe a list of PWM mods is in order.
Yea man I'm really really wanting an NLPWM box but have no clue who to trust to get one from. I'm all about paying folks what something is worth but there is a ceiling for me.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yea man I'm really really wanting an NLPWM box but have no clue who to trust to get one from. I'm all about paying folks what something is worth but there is a ceiling for me.
Check out the pwm group on Facebook. I'm sure someone there sells some

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The only downside of that board is it's not cheap and the whole point of this is to keep the cost down otherwise I might as well buy the hexohm V3 and be done with it lol

That's why I said the iPWM sled combo, it's like $20.00
Let me go look but I think Mikhail said something on the order of 'One is $40 and the other $15 and the expensive one isn't as good.'
BRB

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The Big Al's IntelliPWM and the Voltrove NLPWM both use RMS-PWM, one is $40 (The Voltrove) and the better one is only $15, so it's not bad actually. Both are cheaper than DNA's.

Here it is, same thread, just way back towards the start.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Here it is, same thread, just way back towards the start.

Thanks matey I'll look into that as an alternative

Out of interest why isn't it as good?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What does PWM mean?

Sorry I'm trolling.

Very informative, thanks.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Check out Smoke Stack Modz for nice Smart PWM boxes. I am not at all affiliated with him, but I bought a box from him. You can go pretty custom or pretty basic, and there are cool finishes. B boxes, G boxes, and CNC. He uses the Smart PWM V2.2 board. It has dual mosfets for reverse battery protection... it will just auto fire not kill the timer. It has low voltage protection and also since it's "smart PWM" you can lock the duty cycle and it will increase as battery voltage decreases.

He makes nice mods for really good prices... his B boxes are really cheap, and I love mine. I don't know if its been mentioned, I hope it has, but you are still limited in your builds with PWM. I know it's all been explained that your not adjusting voltage but duty cycle, I just wanna make sure its been clear that you need to build like a series box. Your always firing at full voltage. It's great to get the ramp up of a series box, but tamed down a tad. Or let it rip.

I highly recommend Smoke Stack Modz, he builds a clean box, is very helpful, and is priced right. If you are ok with a big ass B box with some lean, his B boxes are super cheap. Below is the chip he uses. It's really simple wiring, with dual mosfets and the timer built in, by you need to wire a pot. Its really very simple wiring.
smartPWM2.2-3-800x700.jpg

Last edited:

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I didn't look at @Mikhail Naumov before posting that. Jumped in the end of the thread. You make some nice mods man... and those are priced very well. Nice work man!

VU Sponsors